2025 Men's Recruiting Thread

toddc

2025 starting to pop up more.

Edited by toddc
  • Like 2

Five-star shooting guard Meleek Thomas to officially visit Auburn

2025 guy 

JD McCarthy

Auburn’s last pursuit of a five-star prospect may have not gone the way they hoped, but Bruce Pearl and Co. are not letting that stop them from going after more of the best prospects in the country.

Auburn extended an offer to five-star shooting guard Meleek Thomas back in June and the Pittsburgh, Philadelphia native is now set to officially visit the Plains. According to On3’s Joe Tipton, he has scheduled an official visit for Sept. 30.

Buy Tigers Tickets

That is the same weekend that the football team will host Georgia and taking top recruits to what should be an electric atmosphere inside Jordan-Hare Stadium has become an effective strategy of Pearls.

Thomas is the No. 5 overall player and No. 2 shooting guard in the On3 Industry Ranking. He is also the No. 1 player from Philadelphia.

He has already taken visits to Penn State and Indiana and also has an official visit scheduled to Michigan (Sept. 8).

Edited by toddc
  • Thanks 1

Edited by toddc
  • Like 1

We once had a weekend where we had Kanaan Carlyle, Stephon Castle, & Isaiah Collier on campus the same day.

Holler at me when we’re actually able to close.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, CameronCrazy said:

We once had a weekend where we had Kanaan Carlyle, Stephon Castle, & Isaiah Collier on campus the same day.

BP has gotten highly talented prospects to come to AU for a visit when no previous head coach could get highly ranked prospects to visit. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Auburn Basketball is racking up visits from 2025 recruits.

The last weekend in September is going to be big for Auburn Basketball.

STEVE SIMPSON

AUG 24, 2023 9:30 AM EDT

In this story:

AUBURN TIGERS

Bruce Pearl and staff are taking advantage of Auburn Football’s home game verse Georgia in the Deep South’s Oldest Rivalry as a draw for some important official visits. 

We reported last week about 2025 five-star Meleek Thomas and four-star Jeremiah Green scheduling official visits to Auburn on September 30. Thomas is a 6' 4" guard from Pennsylvania and Green is a 6' 3" combo guard from Texas..

Now Jalen Harrelson, a five-star 6’ 7”, 208-pound, shooting guard/small forward out of Anderson, IN has scheduled his visit to the plains for September 30.

He is the number one player in Indiana, third best shooting guard in the country, and the seventh-best player overall in the 2025 cycle according to On3.com. As a sophomore at Fisher's High School last year he led the team in scoring (23.4 ppg), rebounding (7.7 rpg), assists (3.9 apg), and steals (1.1 spg). He has a 99 composite rating by 24/7 Sports.

Harrelson has already visited Indiana, Purdue, Michigan, Michigan State, and Ohio State. He also holds offers from Duke, Gonzaga, Alabama, Arkansas and LSU among many others.

• Like 1

On 8/24/2023 at 6:50 AM, kingfish said:

BP has gotten highly talented prospects to come to AU for a visit when no previous head coach could get highly ranked prospects to visit. 

100% correct - my point is how do we take the next step? I’m all for being thankful and reminding ourselves of how far we’ve come, but we also must keep working to advance our basketball program. We’ve come a long ways, but we still have a long ways to go. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/25/2023 at 10:25 AM, CameronCrazy said:

100% correct - my point is how do we take the next step? I’m all for being thankful and reminding ourselves of how far we’ve come, but we also must keep working to advance our basketball program. We’ve come a long ways, but we still have a long ways to go. 

Auburn or Duke?  Your handle is confusing.

NIL and the new facility is your answer.  

1 hour ago, KillenTime said:

Auburn or Duke?  Your handle is confusing.

NIL and the new facility is your answer.  

Auburn - it’s a play on words when we had Cameron Newton. May be time to change that, lol

16 hours ago, CameronCrazy said:

Auburn - it’s a play on words when we had Cameron Newton. May be time to change that, lol

Gotcha.

Don't think we can get to the level of consistency at Duke, Kansas, KY or UNC, but we can rise to and maintain a top 5 level in the SEC as long as Bruce is at Auburn.  NIL and a new Basketball only facility will keep us competitive and out of the bottom of the SEC post Bruce era.  Just my opinion. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/24/2023 at 6:46 AM, CameronCrazy said:

Carlyle explained that Stanford was a life decision (not a basketball decision), Collier's mom is originally from L.A., and Castle's grandma lives near UConn...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/23/2023 at 9:46 PM, CameronCrazy said:

But would you go back to having someone like Harsin in charge of football again so we'd have sufficient NIL 💸 to close that kind of talent?

Don't get me wrong, it was amazing to have the run with Okeke, Okoro, Cooper, Jabari, Kessler, etc. But we're spending tons again on football and just not sure we're committed to being the top basketball school in the SEC anymore. 

Edited by HAPvsOA

3 hours ago, HAPvsOA said:

But would you go back to having someone like Harsin in charge of football again so we'd have sufficient NIL 💸 to close that kind of talent?

Don't get me wrong, it was amazing to have the run with Okeke, Okoro, Cooper, Jabari, Kessler, etc. But we're spending tons again on football and just not sure we're committed to being the top basketball school in the SEC anymore. 

Which is exactly my point - why are we not able to close on these too guys? Is it NIL? Is it Under Armour vs Nike? Bruce Oearl needs to be screaming from the roof top if there if something outside his control that is holding him back. Otherwise, it appears that it is his new recruiting philosophy that is holding us back! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CameronCrazy said:

Which is exactly my point - why are we not able to close on these too guys? Is it NIL? Is it Under Armour vs Nike? Bruce Oearl needs to be screaming from the roof top if there if something outside his control that is holding him back. Otherwise, it appears that it is his new recruiting philosophy that is holding us back! 

Yeah I think Nike vs. UA has something to do with it also. 

NIL, not sure but probably with us planning to use a lot of funds in both the football and bball transfer portals.

New philosophy - absolutely it reduces our available pool. That said, both Okeke and Okoro were not expected to be 1st round draft picks and Bruce saw something that perhaps other did not. Okeke obviously needed more time to get to his potential so I'm hoping the still goes after those type players even if goes against said philosophy. 

Edited by HAPvsOA

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/4/2023 at 7:05 PM, HAPvsOA said:

Yeah I think Nike vs. UA has something to do with it also. 

When does our contract expire?  Not for another year or two, right?

• 1 month later...

Whenever you guys get to 2026.... Caleb Holt. He should be the priority. Remember when I was saying we need to really start scouting northwest Alabama and make a presence there? Guys like this. Hope we don't mess up on this one

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

• Thanks 1
  • Love 2

On 10/27/2023 at 5:18 PM, AUGoo said:

When does our contract expire?  Not for another year or two, right?

2025 I think. Hope we go with Nike. I know Charles, and probably Bo too, are pushing it. It would only help basketball, Nike is the obvious king in hoops.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

He was also here for the Georgia football game.

Five-star guard Meleek Thomas taking official visit to Auburn next week

Brian Hauch

Five-star shooting guard Maleek Thomas is reportedly set to visit Auburn the weekend of Jan. 13, according to On3’s Joe Tipton. The Tigers are set to face LSU inside Neville Arena that weekend.

The shooting guard from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania is the seventh-ranked prospect in the 2025 class and the second-ranked shooting guard.

Coming in at 6-foot-3 and 170 pounds, the guard routinely averages a double-double for Lincoln Park Performing Arts School in Pittsburgh.

Despite growing up over 600 miles from Auburn, Thomas has expressed interest in the Tigers because Bruce Pearl’s system caters to his play style and he has AAU ties to some of the 2025 Tigers commits.

According to On3’s recruiting prediction machine, Auburn has a 37% chance of bringing Thomas to the Plains, with Penn State a distant second at 22%.

The star guard has also received interest from Alabama, UCONN, Kansas, and Indiana. Although Auburn is loaded at the moment, the Tigers will likely lose Johni Broome, Jaylin Williams and K.D Johnson after this season.

Thomas could provide Auburn with an influx of scoring and rebounding that Broome and Williams give him now.

Edited by toddc
  • Like 1

On 1/2/2024 at 11:03 AM, toddc said:

This would be incredible to have him on the team with Pettiford and a few of our other targets in this same class.

Edited by HAPvsOA
  • Dislike 2

On 1/12/2024 at 12:59 PM, HAPvsOA said:

This would be incredible to have him on the team with Pettiford and a few of our other targets in this same class.

TBH, once I saw Saban was retiring, I was like uh oh....Pearl may lose some NIL $$$ because more $ will go to football. But now with Caddy and Zac gone, at least some will do what they did in the Harsin days and focus more on the bball team. 

What? 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

We definetly need to sign with Nike.

• Like 1
  • Love 1