What I saw and learned in Cali

LPTiger

1 minute ago, TigerHorn said:

It wasn't a workplace. It was a stadium with an average BAC of, oh, maybe 0.15, in an intense game. False analogy.

I bet you've never said anything at all hurtful or derogatory in your entire sainted life, especially while drinking too much, have you? 

Ah "It's okay they were bigots b/c they'd been drinking"

Why the continued excuse making?  This is wrong and hate speech no matter the setting.  There shouldn't be a single bit of excuse making.  We've gone from "boys will be boys" to "they were drinking" to "it's OKAY, it's not work" to "I bet you've said some bad stuff too"

• Like 7

I think the video above from the TX sideline is (sadly) typical of any inebriated fan after a beat down by a team they believed would come in scared. That doesn't excuse any racist, homophobic or any other personal attacks. They are trying anything they can to get a rise out of the players and kudos to them for ignoring this fool.

In today's college football world, these regional or cultural taunts are even more ridiculous. Take the inbred taunts by Cal fans, do they realized that Mosiah Nasili-Kite, one of our DL is from Cali? Just as it would be for our fans to make fun of west coast people with three or four of them on our roster as well.

When I was younger, I was one of these young idiots spouting off at the mouth at something I thought was the most important thing in the world. Hopefully, they realize or are taught that these are 18-21 year old kids playing a game to make money. If they really feel the need to yell, make it about their game and performance. Everything else is a personal attack and shows your ignorance. The problem today is there are cameras everywhere. Growing is now a public experience.

5. I don't appreciate our tailgate culture enough -- we saw 1 tailgate and it didn't have chicken wings, ribs or hamburgers.

Indicative of a truly broken tailgate culture...

• Haha 4

19 hours ago, W.E.D said:

I mean, the Beta Hallowren party wasn't that long ago.  That's our southern culture. Hopefully that just hidden away from cameras bs this incident at BDS....

I agree every school had bad fans...the whole "southern culture" is what I'm laughing at

It was over two decades ago now.  Probably 95% or more of Auburn's current undergrads weren’t even born when it happened.  That's pretty "long ago."

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, TigerHorn said:

I did not approve of the racist aspect of the taunting. So long as boys have hormones, they will question each others sexuality. I'd wager your paycheck that those Longhorn players had equally derisive things to say about the taunters. If I run into them in the next few weeks, I'll ask them what they were singing about. I'm sure virgin ears such as yours will be appalled. 

Your second sentence requires belief in a fictional term to address, so I won't, and you still avoided addressing your own hypocrisy. 

You watched the video and came away with this? The players must have said something equally bad? They were signing a song with bad words? 

• Angry 1

2 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

It was over two decades ago now.  Probably 95% or more of Auburn's current undergrads were even born when it happened.  That's pretty "long ago."

That's not that long ago.  Do you think there's been some massive generation shift since then?

17 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

That's not that long ago.  Do you think there's been some massive generation shift since then?

Actually, yeah.  I think there have been profound generational shifts just in the last 8-10 years.

• Like 5

On 9/11/2023 at 3:24 PM, TitanTiger said:

Actually, yeah.  I think there have been profound generational shifts just in the last 8-10 years.

I’m sincerely curious what the are the shifts of the last 10 years that you are referencing? 

On 9/10/2023 at 5:01 PM, LPTiger said:

1.  We need to find our identity on O, and the 2 QB system prevents us from getting in a rhythm.   Thorne looks "afraid to make a mistake" so he held the ball too long too many times.

2. I don't appreciate JHS near enough.   Cal's stadium sits at the top of a pretty tall hill.   Once you are there, the views outside the stadium are really incredible.   Once inside the stadium it is an egged shaped bowl without any character.  Their PA system was awful.   We literally could not hear a single thing said over the PA.   The reviews and fumbles....  well we knew what happened based only on the "roar" of the 35,000 Cal fans there.   They had porta potty's as bathrooms -- inside the stadium.    The concession stands were food trucks.   While we have a Jumbotron- they have 2 microtrons that are worthless.

3. I don't appreciate the beauty of our campus enough-   The best thing about Cal's campus were the trees (which were awesome) and a12 story clock tower.    After that, the campus is not nice AT ALL.   Many of the buildings are poured concrete with no color on the concrete.   They are large grey concrete buildings like you would expect to see in a war zone.  There is no consistency in the architecture.   It would have driven our architecture and building science grads mad.    They have very little grass -- the kind you mow with a lawn mower.   The roads and sidewalks were cracked and uncomfortable.   Because of the skateboarders, every bench, flower bed, what ever had items attached to it that prevented the boarders from boarding on them.

4. I don't appreciate southern culture enough -- one fraternity house had a large sign outfront that read "Cousins FUC___s vs. Golden Bears.   No one made an effort to take it down.   The entire student section chanted immediately before the game "F--ck you Auburn."   The chant seemed very commonplace.  

5. I don't appreciate our tailgate culture enough -- we saw 1 tailgate and it didn't have chicken wings, ribs or hamburgers.

6. I don't appreciate our home crowd advantage enough -- There were at least 5,000 empty seats around the 50.   I'd say the stadium was 66% full and if not for us it would have been only 40% full.

7. CBP is a great Auburn ambassador.   He was at the TUF tailgate 3 hours before kick.   When he came into the stadium, he received a huge ovation.

8. Cal hates Stanford almost as much as we hate Bama.  I think the stadium crew did it intentionally -- they posted the USC Stanford score on the microton and immediately thereafter posted the UT Bama score.   Our crowd reacted to the second one....

9.  Auburn travels -- Holy sweet Jesus.    WE WERE EVERYWHERE.   When coach Freeze came by us at Tiger Walk all he could say was "thank-you, thank-you, thank-you".   He and the players were clearly moved by how many folks traveled 2,000 miles for our Tigers.

10.   Luke Deal loves his momma -- me and my crew crossed over the Tiger Walk road from one side to the other about 5 minutes before it started.   As soon as I got to the other side, a sweet lady politely asked me if I could take a half of a step back because "her son was coming."   I assumed, not sure why, that she meant her 5-10 year old son.   What she actually meant was her son Luke Deal was coming.   I wish all of you could have seen them embrace and the words they exchanged.   I'm literally tearing rn.

11.  I Believe in Auburn.

12. And love it. 

what do you expect from a bunch of hippie type pinkos who haven't won much of anything in football since Aaron Rogers was QB.

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, GreenTiger said:

I’m sincerely curious what the are the shifts of the last 10 years that you are referencing? 

Hard to narrow down how things have changed over the last decade, and certainly since 2001 when the frat Halloween party mentioned happened.

- Support for the legalization of marijuana jumped 26 points in the last decade, from 41% to 67%

- Same sex marriage support rose from about 43% in 2013 to around 61% by 2019.

- Fewer people regularly attending church than in several decades.

- Continuing atomization and isolation of people in their own political, cultural and social bubbles - being able to tailor news and other content narrowly to only take in what reinforces what you already think.

- Interracial marriage support at 94% as of 2021.  In 2001 when the frat incident referenced happened, it was in the low to mid 60s.

- The massively eroded trust in sources of authority, especially in the field of medicine and science (see COVID).

I'm not here to debate the goodness or badness of any of these things as it would be inappropriate in the football forum and anyone who wishes to go there will have their post nuked.  But to act as if such shifts in behavior, trust, social and moral views and so on haven't been massive in the last decade and certainly since the 2001 incident defies all common sense.  I realize we're mostly speaking of racial attitudes here but we've had similar shifts in many areas.  

So yeah, I do think things are very different than they were 10 years ago and certainly 22 years ago.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1

On 9/11/2023 at 9:10 AM, W.E.D said:

This is just kinda silly old man yelling at clouds. Auburns fraternities have come under heat for inappropriate banners many times.

Students use bad words everywhere 

I'm sure fraternities at Auburn have done things we would not be proud of.   What made this stand out to me was the bed sheet was hanging from a fraternity that was on the same road as the stadium and just 300 to 400 yards south of the stadium.   I guess the proximity to the stadium and the fact that so many people had to walk or drive by it, to me, made it feel like it was endorsed by all.   And then we get into the stadium and the students, who were just a few sections away from us, turned to us and chanted "f__k you Auburn" for several minutes.   I juxtapose that to our 20 person strong dinner at Bottega in Yountsville where the staff said we were the nicest people they had ever served.  IMO most southerners are nicer than most, and we don't use foul language as often as others.   Excuse me now, I see some clouds outside that really need some yelling.      

1 hour ago, milehighfan said:

what do you expect from a bunch of hippie type pinkos who haven't won much of anything in football since Aaron Rogers was QB.

So we stayed 3 nights in Yountville at the Estate.   I highly recommend it....   My business partner is a big breakfast guy.  Typical southern breakfast = bacon, biscuits, eggs, hash browns etc.   I sent him a pic of the breakfast setup at the Estate.   It was awesome -- the freshest salmon ever with just the right amount of smoke, heirloom tomatoes in balsamic vinegar, aged ham, 4 cheeses, homemade trail mix, pecans, walnuts, almonds, blue berry muffins, watermelon, cantaloup, strawberries, etc, etc.    They also had several cereals, I'm guessing for kids...  Well when I saw my partner today he said "that breakfast photo really summed up California quite well, fruit loops (one of the cereals) and a bunch of nuts." 

44 minutes ago, LPTiger said:

So we stayed 3 nights in Yountville at the Estate.   I highly recommend it....   My business partner is a big breakfast guy.  Typical southern breakfast = bacon, biscuits, eggs, hash browns etc.   I sent him a pic of the breakfast setup at the Estate.   It was awesome -- the freshest salmon ever with just the right amount of smoke, heirloom tomatoes in balsamic vinegar, aged ham, 4 cheeses, homemade trail mix, pecans, walnuts, almonds, blue berry muffins, watermelon, cantaloup, strawberries, etc, etc.    They also had several cereals, I'm guessing for kids...  Well when I saw my partner today he said "that breakfast photo really summed up California quite well, fruit loops (one of the cereals) and a bunch of nuts." 

Ha!!!!

On 9/11/2023 at 11:10 PM, W.E.D said:

This is just kinda silly old man yelling at clouds. Auburns fraternities have come under heat for inappropriate banners many times.

Never, ever have I seen stuff like this from Auburn fraternities.

On a sidenote: Berkley and San Francisco would love to have you. I know the cost-of-living is high, but you won’t have to worry about getting a place with a bathroom, you can just go outside and use the streets and sidewalks.

Edited by AU-24
  • Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 1

On 9/11/2023 at 7:08 AM, LPTiger said:

Can't believe I forgot 13.   I don't appreciate our band enough.  Their drum major dropped the stick he was trying to twirl not once but twice.   When they lined up, they didn't line up.   Their lines were crooked.   When they played you couldn't hear them.   Three of their hats fell off during their 6 minute halftime show.    With some things, you don't know what you have until you see what others don't have. 

I forgot about this also, all good points! People next to me said: I thought California had all this musical talent? We just all laughed out loud.

On 9/12/2023 at 12:12 AM, TigerHorn said:

Texas players took it as they should have, proud of them for that. Scoreboard baby. As for the sexuality reference, of course its derogatory, that's the point of taunting. 

If you're going to take an extreme position on this, then you have to take the exact same position on the banner at Cal. To do anything else is definitively hypocrisy. 

No, no when the left is doing it, it’s completely acceptable.

On 9/11/2023 at 10:04 AM, TigerHorn said:

I don't hear a Southern accent in that taunting, I do hear a "You guys" in place of Y'all.

UAT has taken a huge turn.  I had read that they are now 65% out of state.  One of my partners has a brother who was an OL on the '92 championship team, he says the number is closer to 80%.  It has gotten such that the culture in T-town has turned away from a genteel, Southern culture and more of a Northern(yankee) and Western culture.  His daughter is AU bound and he has no qualms about it.  He no longer supports uat financially.  I have seen a ton of bama grads in my generation, here in Bham, sending their kids to the Plains.  UAT has made a deal with the devil and is now reaping what they have sown.

On a political front, I'm surprised that the state legislature would go along with this.  This does not appear to support our citizens of this state with our tax dollars.  I hear the argument that out of state brings in more money, but struggle to believe that that promotes the values of the state. (I get values and uat in the same sentences is an oxymoron)

57 minutes ago, AUGoo said:

On a political front, I'm surprised that the state legislature would go along with this.  This does not appear to support our citizens of this state with our tax dollars.  I hear the argument that out of state brings in more money, but struggle to believe that that promotes the values of the state. (I get values and uat in the same sentences is an oxymoron)

The politicians of this state have done whatever UAT wanted since before Bear. Take a look at the way their BOT is appointed - it is an entirely opaque process run by the BOT itself, in direct contrast to how AU's BOT is selected. Their budgets are similarly dark to the public. 

AU, OTOH, is being foolishly overly loyal to their mission and all but discourages the best out of state talent from attending. You don't have to go full UAT to give a OOS kid who wins scholarships in-state tuition. Attracting that level of future alumni is good for AU and the state in the long term. As an example that I know personally, one kid got the Presidential Scholarship to AU, the other got the scholarship that is the next level down. With OOS tuition, their cost of attendance was significantly more that staying in Texas and going to ATM or UT. UAT would have essentially paid either one to attend. AU should make itself a bargain for that caliber of kid for it's own long term good. 

2 hours ago, AUGoo said:

I had read that they are now 65% out of state.  One of my partners has a brother who was an OL on the '92 championship team, he says the number is closer to 80%.

This is public information & lol at 80%.

42% are in state. It really hasn't change that much in the last decade

image.gif.48a68e87660b9c080f6105d32af6bc48.gif

2 hours ago, AUGoo said:

It has gotten such that the culture in T-town has turned away from a genteel, Southern culture and more of a Northern(yankee) and Western culture.

This is just hilarious.  68% of students are coming from Southern SEC states.    14% of students are coming from "western" or Yankee states like California (1,000), Illinois (1400), NY (700), NJ (700), PA (700).  That's out of 31,000 kids

https://oira.ua.edu/new/reports/613f69684736214759aa9b10#Table E10%3A Total Enrollment by State of Origin

On 9/11/2023 at 10:10 AM, W.E.D said:

Yeah... but that banner would not have remained in place the entire time at AU.  Either an alum or the IFC or administration would have had it removed as soon as they were made aware of it.

• Like 1