Who should start at running back?

gr82b4au

1 minute ago, Gowebb11 said:

DA and more Cobb. 

i am up for more cobb................

1 minute ago, Gowebb11 said:

DA and more Cobb. 

Agreed. But, I am one of those who never saw the "Best RB I've ever coached" in Hunter anyway. He was second team behind Tank for a reason.

I still like Hunter as #1.  Cobb #2   DA #3

As a side note,  do we have a package of Sean Jackson and Battie together in the backfield?    One of the leagues largest RBs and one of the leagues quickest/squirmiest RBs.  Someone will get a mismatch.

• Like 5

44 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Agreed. But, I am one of those who never saw the "Best RB I've ever coached" in Hunter anyway. He was second team behind Tank for a reason.

Tank was an extremely good back. To me,  Tank was exceptional before his injury,  but since the injury,  I have  thought Jaquez was a better all around back.   

This isn’t 2013 when the rpo was a novelty and we could get by without a true passing attack. Cal showed other teams the au roadmap  - move in the safeties and deny the run until we prove that we can stretch the field. Combine that with that our OL isnt pure sec caliber yet - imo if we can’t pass, the RB that we go with will only marginally matter.

Edited by auburnatl1
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

I still like Hunter as #1.  Cobb #2   DA #3

As a side note,  do we have a package of Sean Jackson and Battie together in the backfield?    One of the leagues largest RBs and one of the leagues quickest/squirmiest RBs.  Someone will get a mismatch.

From what I've seen from a very small sample size, Battie is fast but not elusive. He reminds me of Cory Grant/Tristan Davis in that he doesn't seem to have good lateral movement and seems to have stiff hips. I believe Hunter should be the starter. DA brings more quickness and will break some long runs. He is a TD waiting to happen, just hold onto the rock! Cobb is going to be a superstar and I'm excited to see him with a few more touches. Sean Jackson is my version of Collis Campbell/Brandon Jacobs...caught in a traffic jam of good backs and hasn't been able to show what he can do with 10-15 carries. Other than fumbles, I think this group is as good or better than any other RB room in the SEC. As some others have stated...go with the hot hand once the game starts to unfold.

• Like 4

The RB the coaches believe should start. Otherwise, it's just guessing, or as mentioned opinion. What does starting really mean anyway, when more than one guy gets to play. Is it a reward? And what does that mean if the 2nd/3rd string guy has more yards that the starter?

Edited by creed
  • Facepalm 1

37 minutes ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

No.  Neither of those guys are SEC backs and will get between 0-3 carries during any relatively competitive game

Hunter is the best back on the team. You saw what he was capable of when the rust started wearing off in the second half. Dude got better as he got more carries. You people are always clamoring for 2nd stringers. 

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, maryland tiger said:

Hunter is the best back on the team. You saw what he was capable of when the rust started wearing off in the second half. Dude got better as he got more carries. You people are always clamoring for 2nd stringers. 

I’m not saying don’t play him. I’m just saying work him back into the rotation. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GAAubie said:

From what I've seen from a very small sample size, Battie is fast but not elusive. He reminds me of Cory Grant/Tristan Davis in that he doesn't seem to have good lateral movement and seems to have stiff hips. I believe Hunter should be the starter. DA brings more quickness and will break some long runs. He is a TD waiting to happen, just hold onto the rock! Cobb is going to be a superstar and I'm excited to see him with a few more touches. Sean Jackson is my version of Collis Campbell/Brandon Jacobs...caught in a traffic jam of good backs and hasn't been able to show what he can do with 10-15 carries. Other than fumbles, I think this group is as good or better than any other RB room in the SEC. As some others have stated...go with the hot hand once the game starts to unfold.

Maybe not Grant. He played at the next level, and was actually starting to come on as an impact player in Jacksonville before a bad injury ended his career.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ScotsAU said:

Maybe not Grant. He played at the next level, and was actually starting to come on as an impact player in Jacksonville before a bad injury ended his career.

I think the real contrast is Squirrel McCaleb. Battie's not Ontario like we were all hoping, but is probably closer to Grant and Davis. Grant got a shot in the pro's because he had both size and speed IIRC, he's a good bit bigger than Battie or Ontario. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ScotsAU said:

Hunter. Per Freeze, he played “rusty” on Saturday. He’s the most complete RB on the roster right now though. 

You know when I read Hugh’s comment on that I was a little confused. Jarquez only missed a couple of practices at the beginning of Fall camp but he’s been practicing regularly since. He obviously missed the first game but I’m not getting where the rusty part is coming from. 

• Like 1

It doesn't matter which one starts because they're all capable.  An embarrassment of riches at RB is a fantastic "problem" to have -- credit to CCW for bringing them all in & getting them to play unselfishly.  Play the ones who protect the ball the best.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, gr82b4au said:

DA IMO

Yeah, he has looked better than Hunter at Cal but they both gave one away. But either way, this is a good problem to have. Once Hunter shakes off the rust, it'll feel like we have 3 great backs that will hopefully find more space once Thorne starts making people pay with better passes down field. 

Edited by HAPvsOA