The QB Situation

RunInRed

8 hours ago, W.E.D said:

No

They all give us an equally bad chance in their own unique way

Have to, but answer me this:

You're a Sr Transfer with 1 year before hopping to the NFL or limited time.  Would you choose this???

• Team lacking OL talent and returning only 1/5 starters. (Britton, Stutts, Young out of eligibility. Wade looking to get drafted)
  • Team took 4 WRs in the portal and leading receiver had like 250 yards.  All busts
  • Team has limited promising WRs on the roster. Maybe some hype TrFr, but you really going to count on them?
  • Team took a 6000k passer and he threw for 1200 yards starting 12 games
  • Team was the league and possibly the nations worst passing team by a wide margin.
  • Team possibly had multiple returning QBs.  Can Thorne even transfer again?
  • Team went 5-7 or 6-6
  • Coach in year 2 of a solid historical program that appears to be trending very badly

That's going to be a really really really really really really hard sell to make.  Better not go out there and complain about "didn't want to pay xyz dollars so he went to kentucky" excuses

Just a bad, bad situation. It hurts to even read it but it's all spot on. 

Have you realized that we may very well lose 5 games in a row for the 3rd consecutive season? That's got to be an Auburn record. We lost the last 5 games of the 2021 season and we lost 5 straight games in the middle of last season. Now if we lose to Ole Miss and Mississippi State the next two weeks, that's 5 straight losses again and 0-5 in SEC play. Our 0-3 Conference record right now is the first time since 2012 that we lost our first 3 conference games of the season. 

As of right now I think Ole Miss will boat race us but we can beat MSU. There's no quick fix either. We just have to sign damn good classes and pray it gets alot better. 

• Facepalm 1

It is not all on the QBs or players, but the coaches have got to give them a scheme to help them be successful.  For instance, I am seeing a lot of fade routes, and over the back shoulder throws, with minimal slant and clearing routes.   If the offensive coaches are reviewing film of the next opponent you sure can't tell it by the game plan.  Now I realize we were not talented enough to win that game last Saturday but we are talented enough to play better than we did Saturday.  Heck, we were so poor we made their defense look as if we're the best in the nation.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, einatlanta said:

So we should continue to throw to receivers that can't get any separation? We use our strengths and sell the opportunity to WR recruits that we can change the entire offense because of them. I would agree with your point if we had been running that type of offense for a few years but staying with a passing offense for this group may lead to an even worse season.

This is something we have to grow out of. Look at Georgia Tech. Running a Wishbone they have been irrelevant for years.

10 hours ago, RunInRed said:

Let’s discuss …

Question 1: Does Auburn have a QB on the roster who can make us competitive in the remaining games (Ole Miss, Miss State, Vandy, Ark, NMST, Bama)?

Question 2: Who gives us the best chance to win now (Thorne, Ashford, Geriner)?

Question 3: If there’s not a QB on the roster to compete this year, are all bets being placed on an incoming QB (HS recruit or portal) for year 2 of the Freeze era?

Thoughts?

IMG_0932.jpeg

1. We haven't explored all the options. Can't be honest in our evaluations before HG is seen during a game. 

2. Again, can't tell until HG gets reps. However, between PT and RA, well It depends on who's calling plays...I'd probably lean PT. 

3. Portal portal portal.  

• Like 1

i think as bad as robby has been he deserves a few series for a real look and not just a couple of plays. the same with G. some podcasters are saying payton has lost the team. for the record i have no favorite i just want a winner. and i just sent the WR room a case of super glue...........................

Thorne at home and Robby on the road.  That’s the formula.  

Too bad we don’t have a crummy team to let Holden have a half to see how bad he is.  

I don’t think PT is fast enough strong enough tall enough to succeed. He is hesitant to pull the trigger even when guys are open, doesn’t see them, a sign of averting the eyes from down field. I do think RA could be developed and HG deserves a real shot.

Hugh needs to go ask Carnell how to run a decent offense with this team. But seriously I don't see where there are many options on offense. My vote would be for RA to be the starter and to adjust the offense to his strengths. You've got to get creative in the running game. OL doesn't give a lot of time on drop backs and we don't have any great WR. Defense is thin and getting thinner as the season goes. Go to a ball control offense and try and ground out some yards. WingT the damn thing if you have to. Mixed in about 15-20 passes per game. When you do pass it....2-3 step drop backs and let it fly either to a WR or out of bounds. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TeamZero77 said:

Have you realized that we may very well lose 5 games in a row for the 3rd consecutive season?

No, no I haven't realized this.  Thank you for making me feel even worse about our program.  Great Monday

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

You cannot win in big boy football in todays game being one dimensional. Plus it’s boring not exciting and would induce groans from a lot of fans. We most likely will beat vandy (though it being on the road is not ideal) and New Mexico State with whatever clusterf*ck offense we trot out there. Please tell me the games where a triple option offense would benefit us in and that we would actually win?

We are already one-dimensional and will have a problem winning against any decent teams because of the WR corps having the inability to separate from the competition. Racking up the run yards on offense gave us life against Georgia so go form the offense around the current talent. I get your passionate feelings about PJ offense and I doubt we go that far but at this point continue trying to stay with the current scheme will not go well. Run heavy, short yardage and winning the time of possession is going to get us closer to a win than continuing on the current mindset.

The problem with our offense is not the QB.

The problem is the same problem we have faced for the past 8 seasons,,, the OL.  Our OL is not even average within the conference. 

The problem is a combination of lack of talent, lack of development, poor scheming, lack of determination, lack of recruiting.

There are times we cannot block.  There are times we do not know who to block.  There are times when we do not account for a rusher.  There are times when we are so undisciplined,,, we cannot even get the play off without a penalty.  Blocking in space is a pipe dream.

Until this issue is corrected, we will only be competitive with average and below average teams.

Football is about imposing your will.  It begins with the guys up front.  We will not be competitive until the OL and, our blocking schemes are better.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

25 minutes ago, einatlanta said:

We are already one-dimensional and will have a problem winning against any decent teams because of the WR corps having the inability to separate from the competition. Racking up the run yards on offense gave us life against Georgia so go form the offense around the current talent. I get your passionate feelings about PJ offense and I doubt we go that far but at this point continue trying to stay with the current scheme will not go well. Run heavy, short yardage and winning the time of possession is going to get us closer to a win than continuing on the current mindset.

It's a double edge sword.  We need play makers at WR. If we just go run heavy mode. Does it scare off Perry and any chance we have with Coleman and Ryan Williams?

• Like 1

I would be curios this year how many scoring drives RA has led when he actually started the drive. I know he has finished several but start to finish I don't think it's many.  

1 hour ago, bg5 said:

I would be curios this year how many scoring drives RA has led when he actually started the drive. I know he has finished several but start to finish I don't think it's many.  

He has at least three. However he rarely gets an opportunity because he isn’t QB1. Just before the half of the LSU gave he was leading the drive and got rotated out. The drive stalled

Edited by e808

2 hours ago, NWALA Tiger said:

It's a double edge sword.  We need play makers at WR. If we just go run heavy mode. Does it scare off Perry and any chance we have with Coleman and Ryan Williams?

The problem is unfortunately we may be in a run heavy yardage or essentially no yardage as we have shown for the first half. I believe if we keep Montgomery we should be able to keep our recruits. The recruits we are in line to sign this cycle will ensure that the run heavy offense is a temporary fix. I'm in no way a proponent of an extreme run heavy offense for the coming years. The discussion is how to find a band aid to salvage this season due to how badly the Harsin and last two years of GM left us talent wise and not a total coaching philosophy change for the coming years like we did with the HUNH. HF wants a balanced play calling game plan but it is going to take two years to get his team out on the field. Right now is the perfect storm and we are having to think way outside the box.

Edited by einatlanta
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, einatlanta said:

The problem is unfortunately we may be in a run heavy yardage or essentially no yardage as we have shown for the first half. I believe if we keep Montgomery we should be able to keep our recruits. The recruits we are in line to sign this cycle will ensure that the run heavy offense is a temporary fix. I'm in no way a proponent of an extreme run heavy offense for the coming years. The discussion is how to find a band aid to salvage this season due to how badly the Harsin and last two years of GM left us talent wise and not a total coaching philosophy change for the coming years like we did with the HUNH. HF wants a balanced play calling game plan but it is going to take two years to get his team out on the field. Right now is the perfect storm and we are having to think way outside the box.

“Salvage the season”. Is that a fan need?
I’m thinking CHF is going to install this offense and stick with it no matter what. It’s his future. This season could be the worst and he’ll still get his chance.

While we may not look adept at this O, the younger guys are being coached in it daily. They are the future, not really the guys we are seeing now. If you take a break, you set back that coaching by a good bit. 

I’m not a huge fan of the current QB/WR joint read offense. It’s difficult enough when teams do it in the pros. But cobbling together an offense with guys who have been running traditional offenses and trying this….I’m just not sure.

We saw when the RPO is run with quick hit slants, it can be successful. No way we can convert to a no future Caddy offense from last season. It makes no sense for the future. But the current offense can be tweaked to use the middle of the field more and incorporate that unusually tall Frazier cat into the mix.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CCTAU said:

I’m thinking CHF is going to install this offense and stick with it no matter what. It’s his future. This season could be the worst and he’ll still get his chance.

While we may not look adept at this O, the younger guys are being coached in it daily. They are the future, not really the guys we are seeing now. If you take a break, you set back that coaching by a good bit. 

I’m not a huge fan of the current QB/WR joint read offense. It’s difficult enough when teams do it in the pros. But cobbling together an offense with guys who have been running traditional offenses and trying this….I’m just not sure.

We saw when the RPO is run with quick hit slants, it can be successful. No way we can convert to a no future Caddy offense from last season. It makes no sense for the future. But the current offense can be tweaked to use the middle of the field more and incorporate that unusually tall Frazier cat into the mix.

To me it boils down to players as is usually the case in a rebuild. We just ain't got the hosses yet

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CCTAU said:

Not many of these players will be there and running his offense if any. So u going to lose games and waste peoples money trying to run something u don’t have the personnel. Imagine playing on a team and this is your last year. The coach decides to concede the season he’ll or high water because of doing something that’s not working.

He has some grace but continue to go out there and look inept. Currently the offense is on par with 2012 and we know how that ended. As a coach he has to figure it out with the hand he is dealt. 6 and 6 shouldn’t be that hard to do 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, ellitor said:

Per Christian Clemente of AU 247, if Thorne or Robbie don't improve dramatically by the end of the year we will be QB shopping in the portal again. He says the staff doesn't want to throw Walker White in the fire as a true freshman.

And Geriner? why is there no consideration there? Has this staff written him off as an option?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, aucom96 said:

Thorne,  I just don't know. He was brought in to do something that isn't working and the air looks about out of his sails. 

Ashford, I mean, he can run option and throw the ball down the field...basically, what we saw last night. It might give us a better shot in some of the toss-ups on the schedule (Vandy, Arkansas, MSU) but I don't think it does anything substantial toward getting us where we want to be. 

Geriner, I suspect you'll see similar problems that we're seeing with Thorne. 

Our receivers are bad, bad, bad. We're trying to do things we obviously aren't able to yet do and the level of effort is baffling. Couple that with Freeze poor mouthing the team, and it's just a bad mess. Freeze has his work cut out for him. 

Stats definitely point away from RA but looks point the other way. 

We are clearly better at run-blocking than pass protection.  I think our best chance at an upset or 2 is to go with Ashford. I'd don't see enough upside from Thorne's passing to give up Ashford's running.  Offensively, we are about where we were last year, and Caddy got it right.

3 hours ago, Cardin Drake said:

We are clearly better at run-blocking than pass protection.  I think our best chance at an upset or 2 is to go with Ashford. I'd don't see enough upside from Thorne's passing to give up Ashford's running.  Offensively, we are about where we were last year, and Caddy got it right.

You may have hit the nail in the head. There is a trade off with both.  The key is that RA has to be able to throw with reasonable accuracy, when the opportunity presents itself. If he can do that, and break off a few runs we can we a few games. If he can’t make the basic throws, we are toast. I personally thought he threw much better at LSU. 

• Like 2