Receivers

LPTiger

Not counting tight ends, 10 receivers have seen game action.  Our leading receiver, Fair, has 21 catches.   Number 2, Hooks, has 8. Number 3, by number of catches Javarrius, has 5.

Here are their stats:

Fair 21 catches, 232 yds, 11 yds /catch, 2 TDs, long of 36

Hooks 8 catches, 106 yds, 13 yds/catch, 1 Td, long of 32

Javarrius 5 catches, 51 yards, 10 yards/catch, 0 TD, long 33

* M Johnson has more total yards -- 3 catches, 72 yards, 24 yds/catch, 0 Ads, long 30

Let's compare to perennial SEC powers Missouri, Kentucky and Vanderbilt.   Here are their top 3.

Missou:

56 catches, 808 yards, 5 Tds, long 56

34 catches 392 yards, 5 TDs long of 28

22 catches 302 yards, 0 Tds long 41

Kentucky:

23 catches, 338 yards,  3 TDs 56 long

17 catches 282 yards 2 Tds, long 44

23 catches 276 yards 1 TD  long 55

Vandy

36 catches 574 yards 8 TDs long 85

31 catches 365 yards 0 Tds long 50

14 catches 350 yards 4 TDs long 56

Our other 3 receivers who were on last year's roster, Kelly, Brown and Moore have combined for 7 catches, 104 yards and zero points.

Our other 3 transfers, Burton, Jyaire and Gardner have combined for 3 catches, 21 yards and zero points.

• Sad 2

14 minutes ago, LPTiger said:

Not counting tight ends, 10 receivers have seen game action.  Our leading receiver, Fair, has 21 catches.   Number 2, Hooks, has 8. Number 3, by number of catches Javarrius, has 5.

Here are their stats:

* M Johnson has more total yards -- 3 catches, 72 yards, 24 yds/catch, 0 Ads, long 30

Let's compare to perennial SEC powers Missouri, Kentucky and Vanderbilt.   Here are their top 3.

Missou:

Kentucky:

Vandy

Our other 3 receivers who were on last year's roster, Kelly, Brown and Moore have combined for 7 catches, 104 yards and zero points.

Our other 3 transfers, Burton, Jyaire and Gardner have combined for 3 catches, 21 yards and zero points.

For our purpose to get data that we are looking for, targets vs reception’s should be the stat.

Edited by Hank2020

I think our receivers have the best of intentions, and really want to catch the ball.  But the opposing defensive backs are just too mean and won't let them.

That's what it looks like to me; just a casual fan.  After a pass breakup, our receivers look at the defensive back as if to say "Hey, he was throwing the ball to ME!". 

We haven't caught a 50-50 ball this year that I remember.

Julio Jones was stronger and meaner than any defensive back he ever faced.  Coach Freeze will get us some receivers like that, in time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

39 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

For our purpose to get data that we are looking for, targets vs reception’s should be the stat.

I looked for targets but couldn't find.   The baseline stats are what they are....   I think we are playing too many guys.   We need to find a top 3/4 and roll with them....

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WillMunny said:

I think our receivers have the best of intentions, and really want to catch the ball.  But the opposing defensive backs are just too mean and won't let them.

That's what it looks like to me; just a casual fan.  After a pass breakup, our receivers look at the defensive back as if to say "Hey, he was throwing the ball to ME!". 

We haven't caught a 50-50 ball this year that I remember.

Julio Jones was stronger and meaner than any defensive back he ever faced.  Coach Freeze will get us some receivers like that, in time.

WillM, this is very funny and accurate.   The only 50-50 ball I recall us getting was Fairweather at Cal at around 2:30AM central.

• Like 1

Split Frazier out and throw it to him down the sidelines. Let PT do it. He throws high anyway. It’s a perfect match!

Remember the ESPN reporter Heather Dinich (I think) before the season saying that our WR room was not very good at all? 

I was like- you are goofy, come on, we are going to be great. Hooks 1000 yards, CB 1009 yards at least. 
hahahahahahahahahahahahaha wth was I thinking. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

Remember the ESPN reporter Heather Dinich (I think) before the season saying that our WR room was not very good at all? 

I was like- you are goofy, come on, we are going to be great. Hooks 1000 yards, CB 1009 yards at least. 
hahahahahahahahahahahahaha wth was I thinking. 

You were thinking Hugh had hit the mother load by snagging Thorne.

• Love 1

By far I think this is the biggest weakness of this team: wide receivers. 

Our top-3 pass catchers on the team have 389 yards combined. Most other individual contributing receivers on other SEC teams have close or more than that individually. This is awful.

Missou:

56 catches, 808 yards, 5 Tds, long 56 (more)
34 catches 392 yards, 5 TDs long of 28 (more)

Kentucky:

23 catches, 338 yards,  3 TDs 56 long (close)

Vandy

36 catches 574 yards 8 TDs long 85 (more)
31 catches 365 yards 0 Tds long 50 (close)
14 catches 350 yards 4 TDs long 56 (close)

Edited by AUINSY

Honestly unless someone has a supercut of routes being ran for the receiver, I don’t even see the value at looking at stats. We have admission from everyone who got asked the question that there were missed TDs in at least one major, paltry performance. Stats won’t tell you that at all 

not rejecting the premise of this thread btw, but I know someone is going to say “the receivers really aren’t helping much” as if they’ve been given a real fair opportunity even when they do their job lol 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Honestly unless someone has a supercut of routes being ran for the receiver, I don’t even see the value at looking at stats. We have admission from everyone who got asked the question that there were missed TDs in at least one major, paltry performance. Stats won’t tell you that at all 

not rejecting the premise of this thread btw, but I know someone is going to say “the receivers really aren’t helping much” as if they’ve been given a real fair opportunity even when they do their job lol 

U are absolutely correct. Even though it appears they can’t catch a cold at times. There have been some egregious missing or not seeing guys running wide open 

14 hours ago, LPTiger said:

Here are their stats:

Missou:

Kentucky:

Vandy

To be fair I wouldn’t compare our WRs to Mizzou.  They have an insanely talented and stacked WR room and one of if not the best WR coaches in CFB.  I wish we could have pulled Peeler away from Como.  

Luther Burden, Theo Weiss Jr, Mookie Cooper, Mekhi Miller……Mizzou is seriously WRU and they have a QB capable of getting the ball to them and they are making him look really good right now. 

• Like 1

Our underperforming and underdeveloped receivers have a position coach. At some point, we have to look at that being part of the problem. 

• Like 2

The QB and WR play on this team is so bad that they bring each other down instead of making each other better. I dont think either has confidence that the guy on either end of the pass will make a play. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

Our underperforming and underdeveloped receivers have a position coach. At some point, we have to look at that being part of the problem. 

I’m not sure why. If the guys are lining up correctly and running the correct routes, how can it be a coach’s fault that they don’t have the talent to get separation?

Now, I don’t think any of us are privy to that information. But from watching the games, our guys look blanketed EVERY PLAY! I’m not sure a coach can fix that.

Maybe there are some tricks, but in a whole, you gotta win that man on man battle more than you lose it.

5 hours ago, CR said:

The QB and WR play on this team is so bad that they bring each other down instead of making each other better. I dont think either has confidence that the guy on either end of the pass will make a play. 

This.

When the QB has a tough time reading the defense, making his reads, finding his targets and delivering the pass it’s tough on the WRs.  When the WRs can’t get desperation, and either don’t understand the game plan well enough to run their routes it’s tough on the QBs.  The run game isn’t going to bail out the offense, and from the looks of Saturday night, the defense can’t carry the team like Kevin Steele’s and to do for so long. 

1 hour ago, CCTAU said:

I’m not sure why. If the guys are lining up correctly and running the correct routes, how can it be a coach’s fault that they don’t have the talent to get separation?

Now, I don’t think any of us are privy to that information. But from watching the games, our guys look blanketed EVERY PLAY! I’m not sure a coach can fix that.

Maybe there are some tricks, but in a whole, you gotta win that man on man battle more than you lose it.

Our head coach talk has spoken many times about guys not running the right routes, dropping passes, and not getting separation. Those are all coachable things and we should be seeing some progress by mid season. We’re not. This is especially true of the upperclassmen, even if they’re transfers. If receivers are blanketed there are things you can do with motion and scheme to alleviate it. I’m just making the case that it can’t be all on the players. 

23 hours ago, LPTiger said:

Here are their stats:

Missou:

Kentucky:

Vandy

I mean I have no words here. Literally the worst in the NCAA. Make me sick to see it on paper 

IMO it’s a mixed back not sure what can be done about the drops. It seems it’s easy to scrutinize them but when they are open the ball is either way off or they aren’t being seen. For example u have Hooks that dropped a 50/50 ball in the end zone of the TAMU game. Then u have Fair that was over thrown by a mile which would have been an easy score. It occurred again in the LSU game.  However, u did see them get separation on slants plays. Then like clockwork something works let’s change it. The issue isn’t solely on the receivers scheme needs to be better.

* there have been plenty of replays that show guys running open and are much easier throws but the more difficult options more often than not chosen

Edited by e808