The origin of AU's nickname for LSU ?

Elephant Tipper

Since there's not much else happening.......

Corndogs: The bizarre origins of LSU's infamous reputation - Yellowhammer News

Corndogs: The bizarre origins of LSU’s infamous reputation

Corn-Dog-LSU-1-696x348.jpg
(LSU Football, charlesdeluvio/Unsplash, YHN)

There’s a lot of reasons why the Southeastern Conference is the best in all of college sports. From the heated rivalries, to the storied traditions, and the legendary players and coaches, the SEC has produced the best of the best in just about every category.

When it comes to fanbases utter disdain for each other, the SEC does not fall second to any other here, either.

If you’ve watched SEC football for long enough, you probably have heard the quip that LSU Tiger fans “smell like corndogs.”

It’s an insult so ridiculous, laughable, and absurd, that makes it absolutely perfect. So how did the “corndog” barb begin?

It’s believed that the first origin of the infamous corndog reputation actually came from an Auburn message board all the way back in 2006 from an Auburn fan who went by the username of “DeepBlue”.

Some of the golden lines from the original post:

“LSU fans do smell like corn dogs.

I would never tell them that to their face though. This is something better said at internet distances. Even now, I am afraid.

I am afraid that they’ll know I said it. I’ll walk past an LSU fan someday, and he’ll see that look in my eye that gives it away. That look that says, “gee, what is that smell? Is it corn dogs?” The next thing you know, I’ll have flat tires on my car.”…

“You know what else is a bad thing to do? Holding your nose around them. They are real sensitive to that, too. Try holding your breath. But don’t be obvious about it. Somehow they know you’re trying not to breathe in the corn dog smell. And that offends them. They’ll likely punch you for that if they catch on to what you’re doing.”

You can file the LSU corndog post under the category of “SEC lore that will live on in fame (or infamy) forever.”

Just another thing that makes the Southeastern conference unique.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

The original was on ITAT, and was saved on their Classics forum for 10-15 years. It was a sad day when they merged (again) and the Classics forum went away. DeepBlue had a lot of great posts, along with MaskedTiger, AUStudent22, StatTiger (before he was famous and gettin' paid) and a few others. That was the Golden Age of AU message boards. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, TigerHorn said:

The original was on ITAT, and was saved on their Classics forum for 10-15 years. It was a sad day when they merged (again) and the Classics forum went away. DeepBlue had a lot of great posts, along with MaskedTiger, AUStudent22, StatTiger (before he was famous and gettin' paid) and a few others. That was the Golden Age of AU message boards. 

did you ever hear of vle? that was a fun site and they had a no ban rule and it was great. but folks went rogue and racist and the last time i checked which was a few years ago they had like five members and had changed the name to the sh*thole and i am not kidding.

20 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

did you ever hear of vle? that was a fun site and they had a no ban rule and it was great. but folks went rogue and racist and the last time i checked which was a few years ago they had like five members and had changed the name to the sh*thole and i am not kidding.

Some of you spend too much time on the internet. Consider taking up gardening, model airplane building or some-such. :)

• Haha 2

38 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Some of you spend too much time on the internet. Consider taking up gardening, model airplane building or some-such. :)

do not hold your breath until i do mikey i would hate to see you pass life is precious ..........

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

OK Boomer. :tease:

15 hours ago, TigerHorn said:

AUTiger22 was the original message board troll…that guy 😡

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mikey said:

How insulting. My baby sister is a boomer. I'm a war baby.

Close enough.

On 11/4/2023 at 10:59 AM, AUApostle said:

AUTiger22 was the original message board troll…that guy 😡

He was easy to troll. Just say the Celtics suck in any thread and it was like fish in a barrel.

darth-vader-vader.gif

• Haha 2

1896 James W. Nicholson resigns. Thomas D. Boyd returns as president. LSU adopts the tiger as the official mascot.

"Tiger Rag" is LSU's pregame song, which was first introduced in 1926. The Louisiana State University Tiger Marching Band performs it on the field before every home game and after the Tigers score a touchdown. It is also used by Clemson and Auburn. The song first appeared on the jazz scene in 1917. It was not written for anyone in particular.

Auburn has been known as the Tigers since the university first fielded a football team in 1892 to play the Georgia Bulldogs in Atlanta.

"War Eagle" was written in 1954 and 1955 by New York songwriters Robert Allen and Al Stillman. 

So to recap...... Auburn were the original Tigers, lsu took an existing song to become their fight song and Auburn wrote our own fight song.  Btw.....I don't care much for corn dogs...lol.

17 hours ago, Viper said:

He was easy to troll. Just say the Celtics suck in any thread and it was like fish in a barrel.

darth-vader-vader.gif

His 10,000+ posts (I'm probably not exaggerating at all on that) excoriating Hugh Nall have to be some kind of individual record. You could also set him off by questioning Batman's manhood. Or bathood. 

On 11/4/2023 at 8:01 AM, aubiefifty said:

No, can't say I've heard of it. I was on the Recruiting Eagle from circa '96-'98 until Terry Bowden demanded that it be shut down. He had leverage because the site owner was an AU employee IIRC. I had been out of state (and out of the South) since '91 so internet forums had become my main source of AU info. I found ITAT right after that and stayed there until the last merger, which started them on a death spiral IMO. Now I kind of split time between here and the AU board on TD. I'm not nearly as active on either as I was on ITAT, where I was a member of the pay side for over a decade. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, einatlanta said:

1896 James W. Nicholson resigns. Thomas D. Boyd returns as president. LSU adopts the tiger as the official mascot.

"Tiger Rag" is LSU's pregame song, which was first introduced in 1926. The Louisiana State University Tiger Marching Band performs it on the field before every home game and after the Tigers score a touchdown. It is also used by Clemson and Auburn. The song first appeared on the jazz scene in 1917. It was not written for anyone in particular.

Auburn has been known as the Tigers since the university first fielded a football team in 1892 to play the Georgia Bulldogs in Atlanta.

"War Eagle" was written in 1954 and 1955 by New York songwriters Robert Allen and Al Stillman. 

So to recap...... Auburn were the original Tigers, lsu took an existing song to become their fight song and Auburn wrote our own fight song.  Btw.....I don't care much for corn dogs...lol.

On 11/6/2023 at 8:07 AM, TigerHorn said:

His 10,000+ posts (I'm probably not exaggerating at all on that) excoriating Hugh Nall have to be some kind of individual record. You could also set him off by questioning Batman's manhood. Or bathood. 

I believe his grand total was over 50K posts. I can’t imagine having that much time or want. 

I recall one of his big trolling schticks was to dismiss the current state of AU affairs and tell posters to stop complaining by saying “Big game next week against ….”

AU had just pulled off the biggest win since the National Championship by beating Manziel & the Aggies in 2013. Everyone on Cloud 9, raving and lauding our Tigers. He finally gave AU its due, begrudgingly. I replied with “Big game next week against Florida Atlantic.”

21 hours ago, Viper said:

I believe his grand total was over 50K posts. I can’t imagine having that much time or want. 

I recall one of his big trolling schticks was to dismiss the current state of AU affairs and tell posters to stop complaining by saying “Big game next week against ….”

AU had just pulled off the biggest win since the National Championship by beating Manziel & the Aggies in 2013. Everyone on Cloud 9, raving and lauding our Tigers. He finally gave AU its due, begrudgingly. I replied with “Big game next week against Florida Atlantic.”

Over 75,000 so a little more respect please.

10 hours ago, 22AUTiger said:

Over 75,000 so a little more respect please.

You joined here in 2017 and have a grand total of 3 posts. You’re as much a ghost to a throne as the Celtics. A relic. You don’t get respect until you earn respect.

1 hour ago, Viper said:

You joined here in 2017 and have a grand total of 3 posts. You’re as much a ghost to a throne as the Celtics. A relic. You don’t get respect until you earn respect.

Respect on a message board?  Seriously?  

GTFOOH

You are an idiot.  

3 hours ago, Dwayne Pride said:

Respect on a message board?  Seriously?  

GTFOOH

You are an idiot.  

Oh look it’s junior who joined 3 weeks ago. Run play in the streets lil junior.