Anonymous donor pledges $1M to OTV

WFE12

Anonymous donor pledges $1 million to Auburn collective On To Victory in matching-style agreement

Justin Hokanson

AUBURN — An anonymous donor has pledged $1 million to Auburn‘s primary collective On To Victory in a matching-style agreement, Auburn Live has learned.

Between November 14 and December 20, the first day of college football’s early signing period, for every 1,000 new members to the collective OTV, the anonymous donor will donate $250,000 all the way to $1 million, if OTV can garner 4,000 new members in the next month plus.

“If it wasn’t important for every person to be involved in this, they would let you in the stadium for free,” OTV Executive Director Brett Whiteside told Auburn Live. “It takes everybody and everybody is buying a ticket to the game, and we need everybody to be supportive of NIL. It takes major giving to make an immediate impact, but it’s going to take everybody else as well.”

OTV currently sits at 1,600-plus members helping raise over $1 million last year. Total giving, including major donations outside of OTV memberships, is around $20 million in total since OTV’s inception.

“5x that and you can see how that would really add up quickly,” Whiteside said. “This is a way for a lot of people to make a really positive impact. I wish people wouldn’t take the stance that other people will do the work to support this. That’s not how this is going to be able to work. It’s going to take all of us.”

OTV features five different membership opportunities ranging from $17 monthly to $1,089 for an annual membership. The benefits increase depending on the level of membership.

OTV also recently introduced new business-to-business benefits for members where they can receive cash back at specific retailers across the country like Walgreen’s, Home Depot, Costco and others, and local retailers like Momma Goldberg’s and others, when making purchases.

I’m extremely appreciative of the folks who have participated so far. We would not be where we’re at so far without everyone that’s participated,” Whiteside said. “You are seeing a lot of collectives either start or expand their membership programs and that should speak volumes. 

“Whether it’s Alabama, Ole Miss, Georgia, LSU, Oklahoma, if you look around at the key players, they are all looking to expand their membership programs, so that goes to show you that all the NIL collectives are seeing the need to get a lot of people involved in it to really make a big impact.”

7 minutes ago, BigBlueWDE said:

Listening to Brett, I am really surprised only 1620 of us have signed up for OTV. It is a better investment than message board subscriptions

No way lol . 

11 hours ago, BigBlueWDE said:

Listening to Brett, I am really surprised only 1620 of us have signed up for OTV. It is a better investment than message board subscriptions

Maybe OTV can send a weekly email filled with innuendo and gossip? That might convince some of us to join.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/14/2023 at 1:39 PM, DAG said:

Oh I thought someone was just giving us a mil. This isn’t Texas , huh? Anywho done my part. 

So I did too. Where tf do I get my War Eagle+ access? 

• Haha 1

On 11/14/2023 at 2:58 PM, Cardin Drake said:

Probably Hugh Freeze. 😀

Dude that would be so smart. Donate 90% of his salary as an anonymous donor and then when he earns a raise and massive buyout, he’s won. 

Edited by AuCivilEng1

At what point will the universities banking millions of dollars off games tv contracts and SEC payouts be able to contribute to NIL?  It makes no sense to rely on fan support to fund NIL.

Edited by AUY2K

19 minutes ago, AUY2K said:

At what point will the universities banking millions of dollars off games tv contracts and SEC payouts be able to contribute to NIL?  It makes no sense to rely on fan support to fund NIL.

This has been pounded in the dirt.   Universities don’t make money off of TV contracts and conference payouts.   Very few Athletic Departments make money.   The money made goes right back into funding the athletic department.   

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, AUY2K said:

Of available data, a total of 18 of 229 public Division I athletics programs generated more money than they spent in 2020. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JDUBB4AU said:

It’s hard to make a monthly payment to NIL/college kids when my underwear has holes in it. 

Bro you just bought a massive grill.   Get your drawers fixed first!!!!

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, LPTiger said:

Bro you just bought a massive grill.   Get your drawers fixed first!!!!

Listen my priorities are 100% in line. Even though my white BVDs have seen better days . The duct tape is uncomfortable. 

• Love 1
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Dude that would be so smart. Donate 90% of his salary as an anonymous donor and then when he earns a raise and massive buyout, he’s won. 

I had a similar thought, not 90%, but definitely thought along those lines. It’s like being a stockholder in your own company. 

• Like 1

The donor's money is probably safe anyway. After months of drum beating we have only 1,600 members of OTV. What's the likelihood of pulling in even 1,000 more before 12/20? I think not likely to get even 1,000 let alone 4,000 new members.

Edited by Mikey
  • Like 1

On 11/14/2023 at 7:52 PM, BigBlueWDE said:

It's very surprising. Especially when Ole Miss has over 5,000 people giving to their collective. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, aubaseball said:

Of available data, a total of 18 of 229 public Division I athletics programs generated more money than they spent in 2020. 

2020 was also the pandemic and not a good year to compare. Very few people attending games, etc.