NMSU Post mortem

TitanTiger

9 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

I wonder what Bamas roster was that year compared to ours this year

Who gives a s***? What does that have ANYTHING to do with the facts I just laid out for you?

Bama had more talent than ULM and lost by 7 because they went -4 in the turnover column.

Auburn had more talent than NMST and lost by 21 in a game wherein neither team turned the ball over.

That makes you feel better? Get ******* real and lose the nonsense.

Generally speaking, an inferior team needs a s*** ton of turnovers to beat a superior team, OR they need to completely outcoach them.

How did NMST beat us?

Edited by metafour
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, metafour said:

Who gives a s***? What does that have ANYTHING to do with the facts I just laid out for you?

Bama had more talent than ULM and lost by 7 because they went -4 in the turnover column.

Auburn had more talent than NMST and lost by 21 in a game wherein neither team turned the ball over.

Generally speaking, an inferior team needs a s*** ton of turnovers to beat a superior team, OR they need to completely outcoach them.

How did NMST beat us?

Ok,so what now? You think our talent level is so above and beyond we can just roll our helmets out there and win. We about have as many G5 and lower level P5 transfer players Starting as NM St. I'm not sure where u get this we have so much talent and their talent is inferior.  I would take their QB over ours, WR same thing. If this loss would have happened in yr 3, then yeah it would be alarming.  In a rebuild, kinda halfway expect it. History proves that, believe it or not. Should AU beat NM St? In normal times, yes. We aren't in normal times at AU for various reasons that have been discussed  ad nauseum 

Edited by NWALA Tiger

2 hours ago, nurbis said:

NMSU was not a good team. Below is their schedule and the records of the teams they have played before us. The teams they have beaten, not including us, have a combined record of (22-56). They have only beaten one team with a winning record before us. They have two losses to teams with losing records. 

Only UTEP and Middle Tennessee scored less than we did with 7 points each. Even winless Western Illinois scored 21 on them.

Only three times this year, against FIU, Western Kentucky, and UMass, have they scored 30 points or more. This was not a great defense or a great offense we played. 

People want to bring up Saban's loss to La Monroe as comparable but it really isn't. If you want a more accurate equivalent, it is Chad Morris at Arkansas losing by 26 at home to (9-3) Western Kentucky. I don't think it can be overstated how bad of a loss this was.  

UMass (3-8) L

Western Illinois (0-11) W

Liberty (11-0) L

New Mexico (4-7) W

Hawaii (4-8) L

FIU (4-7) W

Sam Houston (2-9) W

UTEP (3-8) W

La Tech (3-9) W

Western Kentucky (6-5) W

image.gif.ee14825a8f0cd04f1582651bc68a0668.gif

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, nurbis said:

NMSU was not a good team. Below is their schedule and the records of the teams they have played before us. The teams they have beaten, not including us, have a combined record of (22-56). They have only beaten one team with a winning record before us. They have two losses to teams with losing records. 

Only UTEP and Middle Tennessee scored less than we did with 7 points each. Even winless Western Illinois scored 21 on them.

Only three times this year, against FIU, Western Kentucky, and UMass, have they scored 30 points or more. This was not a great defense or a great offense we played. 

People want to bring up Saban's loss to La Monroe as comparable but it really isn't. If you want a more accurate equivalent, it is Chad Morris at Arkansas losing by 26 at home to (9-3) Western Kentucky. I don't think it can be overstated how bad of a loss this was.  

UMass (3-8) L

Western Illinois (0-11) W

Liberty (11-0) L

New Mexico (4-7) W

Hawaii (4-8) L

FIU (4-7) W

Sam Houston (2-9) W

UTEP (3-8) W

La Tech (3-9) W

Western Kentucky (6-5) W

Wow. Impressive. Western Kentucky, the only one with a winning record, well except for us.

1 hour ago, Shoney'sPonyBoy said:

What would frustrate you more is a wider angle on t.v.  Because what you would see is that we get WRs running wide open just as often as anyone else.  (Well, maybe not as much as anyone else, but way more often than you think).

But Thorne already knows where he's going to throw it before he snaps the ball and that's the only place he looks.  He could have a WR stripped naked and wagging his dong on the other side of the field & he'd never know.

He completed enough passes last night to give us a chance but it doesn’t do any good widen they’re negated by penalties time and time again. Everything was disjointed last night. 

6 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

this was mostly about focus, effort, execution and discipline.  And it was a failure on those point to varying degrees from the very top to the very bottom

Agree. From our head coach down this was an epic collapse. 

All this talk about our talent level being so much better than NM st , consider this .. Over 75% of our starters on offense and defense are from G5 teams, JUCO, lower level P5 schools ( Vandy, Purdue etc).Our WR room is even worse. We got beat by  G5 team. WE, CURRENTLY ARE A G5 TEAM, ROSTER WISE. We all know why that's the case. Again, if this happens in yr 2 or 3 sound the alarm bells. For now, it's painful part of the rebuild.

• Haha 2

Instead of mentioning Bama/LA Monroe for the millionth time, can someone tell me a worse loss in the history of Auburn football? Has there been anything as bad as losing by 21 as 26 point favorites?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, cbo said:

Instead of mentioning Bama/LA Monroe for the millionth time, can someone tell me a worse loss in the history of Auburn football? Has there been anything as bad as losing by 21 as 26 point favorites?

Not on the field,  but the 2021 recruiting class was a colossal failure.  Only 1 player from that class still on the team.

Just now, NWALA Tiger said:

Not on the field,  but the 2021 recruiting class was a colossal failure.  Only 1 player from that class still on the team.

I honestly can’t believe we are going with the talent gap excuse for losing by 21 points at home to New Mexico State. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Just now, cbo said:

I honestly can’t believe we are going with the talent gap excuse for losing by 21 points at home to New Mexico State. 

That is exactly what people are really trying to say and it is false.

• Like 2
  • Love 2

2 minutes ago, cbo said:

Somebody yesterday said losing to FSU in the 2013 National Championship was just as bad….😐

I can think of a couple that we pulled a win out of our butts that would have been equally bad, but I can’t think of one like this.

• Haha 2

53 minutes ago, metafour said:

How did NMST beat us?

They lined up, won individual matchups and were generally excited to be playing yesterday.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, metafour said:

I'm tired of hearing about Saban's loss to ULM.

Look at the actual box score of that game. Bama turned the ball over 4 times, forced 0 turnovers, and lost by one score. Bama had nearly 150 more offensive yards in that game. Their kicker even missed his lone attempt.

They beat themselves with turnovers. That is VERY different from what you just witnessed yesterday. We lost by 21 points in a game wherein we didn't even turn the ball over once. We simply got manhandled from the first snap of the game to the last.

Anyone with even a modicum of football knowledge knows that if you go -4 in the turnover column, anyone can beat you. ULM doesn't beat Bama without those turnovers. Again, this is drastically different from NMSU outright throttling us.

Agree 100%

Just now, DAG said:

https://247sports.com/Season/2023-Football/CollegeTeamTalentComposite/

We might've not played to our full team potential yesterday but to say our roster is comparable to NMSU is a straight lie.

Don’t you dare  start interjecting pesky little things like facts into this conversation!! 😂

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, DAG said:

https://247sports.com/Season/2023-Football/CollegeTeamTalentComposite/

We might've not played to our full team potential yesterday but to say our roster is comparable to NMSU is a straight lie.

And it’s from a lot of the same people who were falling over themselves to praise Freeze’s portal recruiting. 

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, cbo said:

Exactly how far are the goalposts going to keep being moved. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, DAG said:

That is exactly what people are really trying to say and it is false.

No, it's really not false. We are  G5 team roster wise. Who do we have on our team that would start on Ole Miss, GA, Bama, LSU, Mizzou? Who? Maybe our kicker?

Just now, NWALA Tiger said:

No, it's really not false. We are  G5 team roster wise. Who do we have on our team that would start on Ole Miss, GA, Bama, LSU, Mizzou? Who? Maybe our kicker?

We are not a G5 team roster wise, that is a bonafide lie. Do you have any proof to back that up?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NWALA Tiger said:

I take it from some of your posts, u ain't a Hugh Freezer. Who was your choice during this past search?

I was fine with any of the candidates we were in the running for. I didn’t have a “choice” and even if I did it doesn’t matter so I don’t see why you even ask  

Why there has to be “hugh freezers” or “non-Hugh freezers” is mind numbing to me.  

• Like 1