NMSU Post mortem

TitanTiger

19 hours ago, DKW 86 said:

Talent had something to do with it but not much. 

This was a Coaching Prep Loss AND a Total Lack of Leadership in the trenches. If some guy 2/3s your size is bitch slapping you for 60 solid minutes, that is not on coaching. That is on you. Put your jock strap on and show up for work. I am so f'in disappointed in how our kids didnt fight back. How they just stood there getting humiliated and DID NOTHING. That says a ton about our team. If you are a real ball player, you want to beat everybody and everything. You were born with a chip on your shoulder. Not so much for our guys. They didnt seem to ever man up and say "Oh Hell Nah." They just stood there and got beat AT HOME by a FAR LESSER Team. 

We lost because the match up between their offensive line and our defensive line was to their favor.  Actually it wasn't even close. They were big and nasty and we couldn't match them physically or get them off the field. Plus our LBs look like they had shackles on at times (they've looked that way most of the season...slow). Regardless we couldn't get them off the field and they chewed up the clock limiting our possessions.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, creed said:

We lost because the match up between their offensive line and our defensive line was to their favor.  Actually it wasn't even close. They were big and nasty and we couldn't match them physically or get them off the field. Plus our LBs look like they had shackles on at times (they've looked that way most of the season...slow). Regardless we couldn't get them off the field and they chewed up the clock limiting our possessions.   

So you are saying that their OL was that much bigger and better than our DL? You are going to rained on by the "it was a coaching loss" bunch here. They think we have Near Top Tier Talent at all positions. 

Edited by DKW 86
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, DKW 86 said:

So you are saying that their OL was that much bigger and better than our DL? You are going to rained on by the "it was a coaching loss" bunch here. They think we have Near Top Tier Talent at all positions. 

I don't think anyone thinks that. However, I don't think NMSU has better overall talent than us at any position. They certainly played better and, at least Saturday, they were DEFINITELY better prepared, which is on coaching. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DKW 86 said:

Literally no one thinks that 🙄

1 hour ago, Headland Tiger said:

Literally no one thinks that 🙄

I agree, but apparently Stat Tiger said his appraisal we had at least #18 Talent at AU this year. I never read that but some must have and they are arguing with the walls that we are the equal of most SEC Teams. I think we are about where we showed this year, about 5-6th in the SEC West. 

Edited by DKW 86

3 hours ago, DKW 86 said:

All I know is what I witnessed in the stadium. They dominated our DL except for a few plays here and there. Plus our linebackers played lost or their feet were in concrete blocks most of the game. 

8 minutes ago, DKW 86 said:

I agree, but apparently Stat Tiger said his appraisal we had at least #18 Talent at AU this year. I never read that but some must have and they are arguing with the walls that we are the equal of most SEC Teams. I think we are about where we a\showed this year, about 5-6th in the SEC West. 

I think overall roster talent (team star rating) can be skewed based on skilled positions. What I want to know is what is the star rating for OL and DL. That is where games are won. From my point of view it's where the game was lost last Saturday.

Edited by creed
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, creed said:

I think overall roster talent (team star rating) can be skewed based on skilled positions. What I want to know is what is the star rating for OL and DL. That is where games are won. From my point of view it's where the game was lost last Saturday.

On this one thing we are in total agreement. We were shoved around our own stadium for 60 Solid Minutes Saturday. NMSU kicked our asses on the OL and DL all night long. We never made any adjustments and our kids never responded. It was sickening. I dont think I have ever been that embarrassed/humiliated as an AU Fan before. We have sucked but at least we played with heart and tried. Saturday, we had zero intesity and zero heart.

Edited by DKW 86
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, creed said:

All I know is what I witnessed in the stadium. They dominated our DL except for a few plays here and there. Plus our linebackers played lost or their feet were in concrete blocks most of the game. 

Pregame, OL was noted as their team strength, as well as their QB’s ability to improvise.  We should have expected that our DL would have to bring it.  

Did not expect their front 7 to stop our running game.

6 hours ago, DKW 86 said:

You yourself blamed this on coaching!  Make up your mind!   

You must just like to argue.  You can’t be this dumb.  Although…

Jerry Kill has Hugh Freeze figured out. Simple as that.

NMSU beat Liberty 49-14 last year with Freeze.

Liberty beat NMSU 33-17 this year obviously without Freeze.

NMSU 31-10 on Saturday with Freeze.

100% out-coached from scheme to motivation. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DKW 86 said:

I agree, but apparently Stat Tiger said his appraisal we had at least #18 Talent at AU this year. I never read that but some must have and they are arguing with the walls that we are the equal of most SEC Teams. I think we are about where we showed this year, about 5-6th in the SEC West. 

Alot of people like to quote the transfer rankings for reason we have all this talent.  The same 4 * transfers we got were at best mid 3* coming out of High school. Alot were 2*. So how did they go from border line 3* to solid 4* as transfers. If they getting coached up that much at G5 level, we should have hired a G5 coach. Wait we sorta did ( Montgomery).

3 hours ago, Dwayne Pride said:

You yourself blamed this on coaching!  Make up your mind!   
You must just like to argue.  You can’t be this dumb.  Although…

I blamed in on coaching and player attitude. I quoted creed saying it was a talent issue. We clearly have better talent than NMSU.

3 hours ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Alot of people like to quote the transfer rankings for reason we have all this talent.  The same 4 * transfers we got were at best mid 3* coming out of High school. Alot were 2*. So how did they go from border line 3* to solid 4* as transfers. If they getting coached up that much at G5 level, we should have hired a G5 coach. Wait we sorta did ( Montgomery).

I have not dug down into the weeds and Stat is usually on the money, but I know what I have seen and this looks in no way like a Top20 Team.

3 hours ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Many players gain the muscle (and a few grow taller) that 4-5 stars often come out of high school with. They also demonstrate what they can actually do in college versus assumed potential.

6 minutes ago, DKW 86 said:

I blamed in on coaching and player attitude. I quoted creed saying it was a talent issue. We clearly have better talent than NMSU.

Imo True. I’ll add a hot qb can negate a hell of alot of talent. And Pavia is a superior qb.

18 minutes ago, auburnatl1 said:

Imo True. I’ll add a hot qb can negate a hell of alot of talent. And Pavia is a superior qb.

That is too true.

11 hours ago, FB11 said:

Jerry Kill has Hugh Freeze figured out. Simple as that.

NMSU beat Liberty 49-14 last year with Freeze.

Liberty beat NMSU 33-17 this year obviously without Freeze.

NMSU 31-10 on Saturday with Freeze.

100% out-coached from scheme to motivation. 

Guess (using that logic) Freeze has Saban completely figured out as he beat him in back to back games at Ole Miss. I will gladly trade a loss to NMSU for a win against our arch enemy.

30 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

Guess (using that logic) Freeze has Saban completely figured out as he beat him in back to back games at Ole Miss. I will gladly trade a loss to NMSU for a win against our arch enemy.

Should I go ahead and lay all my 💰 on AU Saturday?

• Like 1

On 11/20/2023 at 12:17 PM, NWALA Tiger said:

For whoever was at the game Sat. Did we have receiver's running open? It's hard to tell on TV. Did Thorne just hold on too long or were guys covered?

We had open receivers at times, but overall they covered us up pretty well.  I don't blame it on Thorne as much as I do the offensive game plan.

• Like 1