Nix vs Thorne as runners

LPTiger

2019 was Nix's best year running the ball at AU.  His net total that year was 313 yards.   Thorne, this year had a net total of 530.  I think Thorne is a better athlete than most folks realize.  His passing % this year is 63%.   If our receivers caught the balls that were in their hands it would be closer to 70%.  He isn't a game changer QB, but he is a very serviceable QB particularly if we can get some guys on board who can get open and can catch.    

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, LPTiger said:

2019 was Nix's best year running the ball at AU.  His net total that year was 313 yards.   Thorne, this year had a net total of 530.  I think Thorne is a better athlete than most folks realize.  His passing % this year is 63%.   If our receivers caught the balls that were in their hands it would be closer to 70%.  He isn't a game changer QB, but he is a very serviceable QB particularly if we can get some guys on board who can get open and can catch.    

IMO there is no comparison. The bulk of those rushing yards were inflated by one game. Bo basically beat LSU by himself with a worst oline than Thorne has now. There is no way Thorne could replicate that. One has the opportunity to win the heisman and go pro. Pt won’t be doing either. That’s just my two cents.

Edited by e808
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, LPTiger said:

I think Thorne had more planned runs and Bo had more run for your life runs.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, LPTiger said:

He's much more athletic than people think.  I hope he continues to grow and mature within the system.  The competition will be good this off-season. Whomever comes out as QB1 will be the best option. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, GreenTiger said:

I’ve been encouraged by PTs development and the staff building around him. 

Part of it is understanding what exactly you have in your QB.  The first half of the season I believe PT was used incorrectly 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Part of it is understanding what exactly you have in your QB.  The first half of the season I believe PT was used incorrectly 

Thank you.   

51 minutes ago, bigbird said:

And, the 2 QB "shuffle system" didn't help.   I quote shuffle system because those words make it sound like their was some thoughtful plan accompanying its use and, at times, they did not seem to be the case.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, cole256 said:

He's not anywhere close to being athletic as Bo

Holy Christ, yall have Cole championing Bo.

Cole and I have always agreed Bo is an elite athlete 🥰

Edited by W.E.D

5 hours ago, bigbird said:

Absolutely. When we finally abandoned that "send everyone out and let them make their own reads" nonsense, we started getting some nice completions. This backed off the D and allowed to run game to develop. I wish they would have realized PT's running ability earlier and developed the RPO game better. If PT can become proficient in the RPO, he can be very dangerous with his legs. He has good vision and just enough wiggle to make folks miss. I won't count him out, even if a supposedly more talented QB comes in. 

It would be nice to see him be proficient enough next season to give HG and WW time to figure out who takes the reins next. Its time to develop our future QB from within our program.

And..Oh yeah, Nix is a ton more athletic. I am happy for him and would love to see him win the Heisman.

Edited by CCTAU
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, LPTiger said:

He runs with grit and determination. If he could anticipate open receivers sooner and get more of his run reads correct, he’d help himself and Auburn more.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

I think Thorne had more planned runs and Bo had more run for your life runs.

I would contend that was a flaw in many games, that we didn’t use him as a designed runner more often. That’s one thing I’ll give Hugh - he made several games game simple for Payton by using him like a one read, glorified read option QB (just without the read or option part of the read option)

That should’ve been Nix like 90% of his tenure here  

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I would contend that was a flaw in many games, that we didn’t use him as a designed runner more often. That’s one thing I’ll give Hugh - he made several games game simple for Payton by using him like a one read, glorified read option QB (just without the read or option part of the read option)

That should’ve been Nix like 90% of his tenure here  

Maybe, but you saw what happened once he was injured.

30 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

You don’t think Joey Gatewood could carry us to the finish line?

He actually caught a touchdown pass in the Kentucky/Louisville game.