So who do you think will make top 4 playoff spots...

bishoptf

2 minutes ago, TeamZero77 said:

I think Michigan will win it all. They're on a mission for Harbaugh and it's an "Us against the world" mentality. Just like our 2010 team was on a mission because the media wouldn't shut up about Cam's situation. 

Michigan is a hard nosed team and they're really the only team that has dominated everyone on their schedule. The Ohio State game was close in score but Michigan was in control all game. I think they'll beat Bama and then out physical the Washington/Texas winner.

I hope you're right.

One thing is for sure, for the next month they're gonna have to hear about have they have NO CHANCE at beating bama (I'm not even sure, myself). Will it motivate them? Will it be enough? 

22 minutes ago, WarEagle1983 said:

No. If we were in FSU shoes we'd be mad as hell. And we were in 2004. If Bama was in FSU's shoes do you think the committee would leave them out? Hell no! Bama would simply say, we have another 4 or 5 star QB to put on the field. I don't like that it's all about money and going off a former history of a team. The same committee had Bama ranked #8. How does a #8 ranked team go from 8 to 4th. 

Plus, this is the first time the committee has ever left out a 0 loss and put in a 1 loss team and they're doing it to put in Bama. The same Bama team that it took a last play to beat Auburn. It's not just the hate for Bama but it's the fact that the committee decided to go against all of their requirements from the past 10 years. Why the change now? They just downgraded the regular season games. 

I didn't say anything about us being in FSU's shoes. If we were in Bama's shoes and they put FSU in over us, every Auburn fan would say we got screwed. Hell, we all say we got screwed in 2004 when we started the year #17 and USC and Okie started #1 and #2. If we all complain about that, then you know we would complain if FSU made it in over us. We can agree to disagree. No biggie 

10 minutes ago, TeamZero77 said:

I didn't say anything about us being in FSU's shoes. If we were in Bama's shoes and they put FSU in over us, every Auburn fan would say we got screwed. Hell, we all say we got screwed in 2004 when we started the year #17 and USC and Okie started #1 and #2. If we all complain about that, then you know we would complain if FSU made it in over us. We can agree to disagree. No biggie 

I'd be mad b/c it's Auburn but I'd honestly respect it b/c undefeated is undefeated. And secondly, it's how the committee has always done things. I wouldn't expect them to change how they've done things. And that's part of my anger with this situation. They're willing to all of a sudden change 10 years of doing things b/c it's Bama. It's about the big brand. I think they would've done it for teams like: UGA, Ohio State or Notre Dame b/c it means money and big name matchups. 

I wouldn't expect for them to treat Auburn the same way.

Edited by WarEagle1983
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, TeamZero77 said:

Not the same, you had USC, Oklahoma, Auburn and Utah all undefeated going into bowl season. You didn't have a 1 loss team jumping an undefeated team.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, yngwie1995 said:

It's official:

1. Michigan

2. Washington

3. Texas

4. bama (bullsh*t)

5. FSU (robbed)

6. uga (LOL)

This is exactly the way I had it during the SECCG yesterday.

Reasoning is bammer was going to beat the committee's #1 team and FSU was going to struggle to beat Louisville.

6 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

Not the same, you had USC, Oklahoma, Auburn and Utah all undefeated going into bowl season. You didn't have a 1 loss team jumping an undefeated team.

And Auburn had more top 25 wins than any of the other teams. And let's not forget that us only beating 6-6 bama by 8 points in Tuscaloosa was used as one of the excuses as to why we were kept out. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, GTNupe11 said:

even if LSU lost to FSU earlier this season goes undefeated the rest of the year and wins the SEC championship is getting in even over FSU if everything remains the same

The committee had head-to-head as their #1 tie-breaker. It's why they had Texas over bammer every week.

So LSU is the only SEC West team that if they had beaten Georgia going 12-1, would have been passed over for FSU.

11 minutes ago, WarEagle1983 said:

I'd be mad b/c it's Auburn but I'd honestly respect it b/c undefeated is undefeated.

This. Being undefeated is extremely hard. And to do so when you lose your star quarterback shows some truly great coaching.

Saban only has 2 undefeated seasons out of 28 years of coaching. Dabo has one in his career. Urban has two. Spurrier had none.  

If they are ranking the best teams "right now", then why did they rank UGA 6th instead of 5th?  They are better right now than Fl State, if they use the same criteria they used to put Bama in.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sevenlee36 said:

1. Alabama

2. Georgia

3. Michigan

4. Texas

is how it really should have been

This. If the committee all of a sudden cares about the 4 best teams, then this is what it would have been. Maybe not in this exact order, but these 4 spot-on.

1 hour ago, yngwie1995 said:

How many times has bama backed into NC contention over the last several years?

Four times now. 2011, 2012, 2017 & 2023.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, WillMunny said:

If they are ranking the best teams "right now", then why did they rank UGA 6th instead of 5th?  They are better right now than Fl State, if they use the same criteria they used to put Bama in.

Cause they only use that reason to justify bama getting it. They would use some other reason to put fsu above GA. By their logic FSU shouldn't even be ranked in the top 10

10 minutes ago, sevenlee36 said:

Would love to see 
FSU vs Georgia 

and FSU win 😂 

I don't think it will live up to its billing because I imagine several opt-outs on both sides. I think another advantage of the 12-team playoff will be less opt-outs. Of course there will be some but even for teams who don't have a realistic chance to win it all, it will give guys to increase their draft stock. 

• Like 1

Just now, WarEagle1983 said:

I don't think it will live up to its billing because I imagine several opt-outs on both sides. I think another advantage of the 12-team playoff will be less opt-outs. Of course there will be some but even for teams who don't have a realistic chance to win it all, it will give guys to increase their draft stock. 

I believe FSU will be more motivated and be seeking revenge. The college football world will be cheering for em. If they win and beat Georgia, it would be epic. They got kicked out in favor of a team that had 1 loss because they beat Georgia. And then FSU undefeated and beats Georgia also….

5 minutes ago, sevenlee36 said:

I believe FSU will be more motivated and be seeking revenge. The college football world will be cheering for em. If they win and beat Georgia, it would be epic. They got kicked out in favor of a team that had 1 loss because they beat Georgia. And then FSU undefeated and beats Georgia also….

Clearly, I still have work to do as a person. lol. If I went undefeated and got screwed out of a playoff spot...I'd have to think hard and long if I wanted to play. Especially if I'm a top draft pick; which FSU likely has several on defense. 

I certainly question how motivated FSU will be for this game. I def. think UGA will be but FSU...ummm. 

3 minutes ago, WarEagle1983 said:

Clearly, I still have work to do as a person. lol. If I went undefeated and got screwed out of a playoff spot...I'd have to think hard and long if I wanted to play. Especially if I'm a top draft pick; which FSU likely has several on defense. 

I certainly question how motivated FSU will be for this game. I def. think UGA will be but FSU...ummm. 

It will depend on how they look at it. Norvell will need to sell it the way I’m saying.

• Like 1

I get that FSU doesn't look like a world beater without their starting QB, but devaluing and undefeated team in a major conference is hard to swallow. That torpedos the merit of regular season games. I thought this would happen but I still think it stinks. Cash is king and Bama = $.

On the issue of opt-outs, would it not be possible under NIL for sponsors to forbid / penalize bowl opt-outs in their NIL contracts?  If athletes can demand money, can't their sponsors demand something in return?

2 minutes ago, madkat7 said:

I get that FSU doesn't look like a world beater without their starting QB, but devaluing and undefeated team in a major conference is hard to swallow. That torpedos the merit of regular season games. I thought this would happen but I still think it stinks. Cash is king and Bama = $.

On the issue of opt-outs, would it not be possible under NIL for sponsors to forbid / penalize bowl opt-outs in their NIL contracts?  If athletes can demand money, can't their sponsors demand something in return?

That's a good question regarding NIL. I hope that doesn't happen though. If I've essentially "survived" all season without seriously getting injured, I feel like a player has fulfilled his contract. 

And I understand the message of a player finishing what they started but I can't fault a player focusing on his future and how to support his family. Football is a grind and bowl games have tremendously been diminished throughout the years. Thus, why we're going to a 12-team playoff. That's why I mentioned I think we'll see lesser opt-outs because the 12-team playoff is going to be a huge hype machine. 

We're going to get all the big names in college football in along with a couple of cinderelas. Therefore, I doubt there will be much need for a mandatory clause in NIL contracts. 

The thing about going undefeated is that the team's potential is unknown. If a team goes undefeated in 13 games, you have no real basis of knowing how long that team could go without a loss, whereas when a team has a loss, you do have that predictive basis.

With a 12-1 team, you can say, "that's a 92% win percentage so over a hundred games, they'd probably lose 8." But with a team that is 13-0, you're still at 100% after 100 games.

That's why you respect the undefeated record -- deference to potential.

Even if FSU gets shellacked in its bowl game, the committee has made a mistake.

Dan Wetzel just posted a great article on Yahoo.

https://sports.yahoo.com/florida-state-was-wronged-by-cfp-but-its-not-just-the-committees-fault-185227924.html

Edited by WillMunny