New bill in Albany would make Chick-fil-A stay open on Sundays at NYS Thruway rest stop locations

Auburn85

https://13wham.com/news/local/new-bill-in-albany-would-make-chick-fil-a-stay-open-on-sundays-at-nys-thruway-rest-stop-locations

by CNY Central

A new bill introduced in Albany would require any food service location at New York State Thruway rest stops to stay open seven days a week, something that directly challenges Chick-fil-A's policy of closing on Sundays.

The restaurant chain is well known nationwide for closing on Sundays, a practice that's been in place since the first restaurant was opened in Georgia in 1946.

In the summer of 2021, a $450 million project began at rest stops along Interstate 90 in New York, updating the buildings, adding electric vehicle charging station and bringing in new restaurants. The construction work is ongoing to complete renovations at all 27 rest stops, but many locations featuring Chick-fil-A restaurants are already open.

The bill would "require food services at transportation facilities and rest areas owned and operated by certain public authorities remain open seven days a week." The bill is co-sponsored by Assemblymember Anna Kelles (D, NY-125), who represents Tompkins County and portions of Cortland County, including the city of Cortland. The bill's sponsor is Assemblymember Tony Simone (D, NY-75) who represents part of Manhattan.

The bill's language says:

This legislation will ensure that all future contracts for food concessions at transportation facilities owned by the Thruway Authority, as well as the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, will be required to operate seven days a week, with an exclusion to temporary concessions such as farmers markets or local vendors.
While there is nothing objectionable about a fast food restaurant closing on a particular day of the week, service areas dedicated to travelers is an inappropriate location for such a restaurant. Publicly owned service areas should use their space to maximally benefit the public. Allowing for retail space to go unused one seventh of the week or more is a disservice and unnecessary inconvenience to travelers who rely on these service areas.

The rest stops are operated by Applegreen, an Irish convenience store chain, which does provide other food and beverage options at rest stops aside from the contracted restaurant.

Chick-fil-A's rest stop locations have faced controversy before. In July of 2021, several state lawmakers publicly voiced opposition to Chick-fil-A being chosen as a restaurant in the newly renovated rest stops, citing what the lawmakers called longstanding anti-LGBTQ+ history.

7 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Fascist government

There’s nothing unreasonable about a transit entity only allowing vendors that open 7 days a week. Space is limited and weekends are busy times. If there’s evidence they did this to target CFA on religious grounds, that’s another issue, but when I’m traveling I think it’s stupid to contract with vendors who choose not to operate during high demand times. CFA will be fine with their stand alone locations.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

There’s nothing unreasonable about a transit entity only allowing vendors that open 7 days a week. Space is limited and weekends are busy times. If there’s evidence they did this to target CFA on religious grounds, that’s another issue, but when I’m traveling I think it’s stupid to contract with vendors who choose not to operate during high demand times. CFA will be fine with their stand alone locations.

When they issued a contract to Chic-fil-A did they know that entity wasn’t opened on Sundays?  The reason they are closed on Sundays is based on religious grounds.  Yeah, CFA will be just fine, but NY is a Fascist State.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

If NY really want to help out, turn all the fast food entities into fruit stands. This will help with obesity and health issues in our nation. 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

When they issued a contract to Chic-fil-A did they know that entity wasn’t opened on Sundays?  The reason they are closed on Sundays is based on religious grounds.  Yeah, CFA will be just fine, but NY is a Fascist State.

Chances are they didn’t think to require it in the RFP because it is the industry norm to be open on Sundays. RFPs aren’t typically written toward addressing every exceedingly rare exception. But a business could be owned by a religious person whose religion doesn’t work on Saturdays. Same concern. I suspect they contracted after a public bid process and CFA was a successful bidder on the criteria established. Absent a law such as the one proposed, since they didn’t require it in the RFP, they probably would be hard pressed to deny a contract based on that point. They may be hard pressed to break the contract if the law is passed, but they need not renew it if CFA opts to stay closed on Sunday, and future proposals would require compliance with the law. But you keep throwing around “fascism!” Like an Antifa activist. 😉

45 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

Chances are they didn’t think to require it in the RFP because it is the industry norm to be open on Sundays. RFPs aren’t typically written toward addressing every exceedingly rare exception. But a business could be owned by a religious person whose religion doesn’t work on Saturdays. Same concern. I suspect they contracted after a public bid process and CFA was a successful bidder on the criteria established. Absent a law such as the one proposed, since they didn’t require it in the RFP, they probably would be hard pressed to deny a contract based on that point. They may be hard pressed to break the contract if the law is passed, but they need not renew it if CFA opts to stay closed on Sunday, and future proposals would require compliance with the law. But you keep throwing around “fascism!” Like an Antifa activist. 😉

That is a long way around to *get out because you’re not opened on Sunday* and the only entity that is closed on Sunday.  Is there another state that is considering this?

I thought throwing around the Fascist label was considered fashionable by the left.

8 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

That is a long way around to *get out because you’re not opened on Sunday* and the only entity that is closed on Sunday.  Is there another state that is considering this?

I thought throwing around the Fascist label was considered fashionable by the left.

I would hope any entity managing transit would require it. It probably wasn’t deemed necessary to spell it out in the past as demand tends to drive hours for most companies. Not CFA. That’s fine. I have no problem with CFA. Good customer service training. But they don’t belong in transit venues if they’re unwilling to be open on 7 days a week. If an observant Orthodox Jew had a business, it might well be closed on Saturday. Perfectly reasonable. But the same law would apply to that business.

If I owned a mall I’d require food service locations to be open 7 days a week. Food service in such defined spaces are about providing convenience to patrons.

Open a restaurant right outside the transit facility. Do great business 6 days a week giving folks who want to take the time to visit that venue that option.

Everything isn’t about your conspiracies and persecution complex. Some things are just pragmatic common sense. Businesses are allowed to thrive as CFA has done. This law is about the public purpose of transit facilities.

2 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

Query: Could the bill violate the Constitution's Contract Clause?

• Facepalm 1

The dingbats who signed the contract for the State "should have reasonably known" that Chick-Fil-A doesn't operate on Sundays. I don't see the State getting out of this without paying some major damages.

4 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

I would hope any entity managing transit would require it. It probably wasn’t deemed necessary to spell it out in the past as demand tends to drive hours for most companies. Not CFA. That’s fine. I have no problem with CFA. Good customer service training. But they don’t belong in transit venues if they’re unwilling to be open on 7 days a week. If an observant Orthodox Jew had a business, it might well be closed on Saturday. Perfectly reasonable. But the same law would apply to that business.

If I owned a mall I’d require food service locations to be open 7 days a week. Food service in such defined spaces are about providing convenience to patrons.

Open a restaurant right outside the transit facility. Do great business 6 days a week giving folks who want to take the time to visit that venue that option.

Everything isn’t about your conspiracies and persecution complex. Some things are just pragmatic common sense. Businesses are allowed to thrive as CFA has done. This law is about the public purpose of transit facilities.

You cite some of your reasons for requiring a good vendor to be open on Sunday.  However, would you change your view if the patrons demanded a CF, or you see a decline in sales due to eliminating one provider and substituting another?

Edited by creed
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

I understand what you are saying, but I believe it is up to entity that is trying to fill those spots to do their due diligence to know that the company they are contracting out has special hours of operation.

If they are unable to use hours that match what you need, find a different company that will.

7 minutes ago, arein0 said:

I understand what you are saying, but I believe it is up to entity that is trying to fill those spots to do their due diligence to know that the company they are contracting out has special hours of operation.

If they are unable to use hours that match what you need, find a different company that will.

I’m not sure you’ve read what all I’ve said. I addressed that.

14 minutes ago, creed said:

You cite some of your reasons for requiring a good vendor to be open on Sunday.  However, would you change your view if the patrons demanded a CF, or you see a decline in sales due eliminating one provider and substituting another?

In my personally owned mall?

28 minutes ago, Mikey said:

The dingbats who signed the contract for the State "should have reasonably known" that Chick-Fil-A doesn't operate on Sundays. I don't see the State getting out of this without paying some major damages.

I’ve addressed that.

4 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

In my personally owned mall?

Sure. Would you go against what your patrons desired? Of course these types of decisions are supported by data. So a good mall owner would conduct a survey and I can almost guarantee patrons will want a CF over almost any other food vendor. 

Edited by creed

4 minutes ago, creed said:

Sure. Would go against what your patrons desired? Of course these types of decisions are supported by data. So a good mall owner would conduct a survey and I can almost guarantee patrons will want a CF over almost any other food vendor. 

In my personally owned mall I’d stay flexible if there was sufficient demand to offset the loss of Sunday business. But malls are optional and folks choose when to go. Travel times/dates are often dictated by work, vacation options, etc. When travel I’m more at the mercy of the venues hours.

3 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

In my personally owned mall I’d stay flexible if there was sufficient demand to offset the loss of Sunday business. But malls are optional and folks choose when to go. Travel times/dates are often dictated by work, vacation options, etc. When travel I’m more at the mercy of the venues hours.

Here’s my opinion based on perceived survey results from transit authority patrons if CF was forced to not operate at these locations per their business model.

patrons = not happy

other vendors = happy

revenues = negative

tax revenues = negative

kick back under the table from remaining vendors = positive

local political representatives = happy. See kick back note. 

• Facepalm 1

10 minutes ago, creed said:

Here’s my opinion based on perceived survey results from transit authority patrons if CF was forced to not operate at these locations per their business model.

patrons = not happy

other vendors = happy

revenues = negative

tax revenues = negative

kick back under the table from remaining vendors = positive

local political representatives = happy. See kick back note. 

I’ll note your imaginary survey likely reflects your preferences.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

I’ll note your imaginary survey likely reflects your preferences.

Not my preference. I rarely eat at CF. Fast food is not my thing. But, anyone can see CF is very good at doing business in that sector. 

And your preferences are duly noted too.

This one of those things where both sides have a point. I can tell you that chick-fil-a has been told by countless consulting firms that they’re walking away from over $1 b/yr by not being open on Sundays and they don’t blink. It’s a cultural absolute.