New bill in Albany would make Chick-fil-A stay open on Sundays at NYS Thruway rest stop locations

Auburn85

3 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

I would hope any entity managing transit would require it. It probably wasn’t deemed necessary to spell it out in the past as demand tends to drive hours for most companies. Not CFA. That’s fine. I have no problem with CFA. Good customer service training. But they don’t belong in transit venues if they’re unwilling to be open on 7 days a week. If an observant Orthodox Jew had a business, it might well be closed on Saturday. Perfectly reasonable. But the same law would apply to that business.

If I owned a mall I’d require food service locations to be open 7 days a week. Food service in such defined spaces are about providing convenience to patrons.

Open a restaurant right outside the transit facility. Do great business 6 days a week giving folks who want to take the time to visit that venue that option.

Everything isn’t about your conspiracies and persecution complex. Some things are just pragmatic common sense. Businesses are allowed to thrive as CFA has done. This law is about the public purpose of transit facilities.

Interestingly enough, CFA, in the beginning, only offered franchises in malls.  They had no stand alone facilities; how times have changed.

I don’t think everything is a conspiracy, it just turns out that way.

1 hour ago, creed said:

Not my preference. I rarely eat at CF. Fast food is not my thing. But, anyone can see CF is very good at doing business in that sector. 

And your preferences are duly noted too.

They are good. Excellent. I enjoy them on occasion. My preference is for food venues to be open in transit locations people are stuck in. Absent a requirement to do so, any venue could close, for example, because they find business slow on Tuesdays. Or Wednesdays. Or businesses with principles matching CFA could all decide to close on Sundays, leaving travelers hungry. In my personally owned mall I might decide to be unfair. Give CFA an option I give no one else because it suits my business ends. Public transport venues can’t do that.

3 hours ago, NolaAuTiger said:

"No State shall . . . pass any . . . Law impairing the Obligation of Contracts . . ."

For those who chose not to do any reading,,,

the bill only applies to future contracts.

1 hour ago, auburnatl1 said:

This one of those things where both sides have a point. I can tell you that chick-fil-a has been told by countless consulting firms that they’re walking away from over $1 b/yr by not being open on Sundays and they don’t blink. It’s a cultural absolute.

And I respect them for that. Their principles are more important than the dollar. That said, airport terminals aren’t their best option.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

When they issued a contract to Chic-fil-A did they know that entity wasn’t opened on Sundays?  The reason they are closed on Sundays is based on religious grounds.  Yeah, CFA will be just fine, but NY is a Fascist State.

New York is a fascist state? The reason it was targeted on 9/11 is that it’s seen globally as the epicenter of free enterprise. I understand it’s a blue state but …  ok, that’s a new one.

Edited by auburnatl1
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, auburnatl1 said:

New York is a fascist state? The reason it was targeted on 9/11 is that it’s seen globally as the epicenter of free enterprise. I understand it’s a blue state but …  ok, that’s a new one.

22 years ago…..ok.  Do times change?  Can these lefty leaning posters call everything conservatives do fascist?  Lighten up.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

When they issued a contract to Chic-fil-A did they know that entity wasn’t opened on Sundays?  The reason they are closed on Sundays is based on religious grounds.  Yeah, CFA will be just fine, but NY is a Fascist State.

I agree with you on this.  They could certainly not renew a lease agreement going forward when current leases expire, but those businesses with current leases would have to be grandfathered in.  If not, the State of New York would be in breach of contract.    I have read Chick-fil-a leases and franchise agreements they have entered with other similar entities and every one of them I have ever seen specifically addresses hours and days of operation.  In fact, they often have similar agreements with hospitals and college campus locations.  They always spell out days and hours of operation. 

For background... I was corporate counsel for Blimpie & North America Franchising a few years ago.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

I agree with you on this.  They could certainly not renew a lease agreement going forward when current leases expire, but those businesses with current leases would have to be grandfathered in.  If not, the State of New York would be in breach of contract.    I have read Chick-fil-a leases and franchise agreements they have entered with other similar entities and every one of them I have ever seen specifically addresses hours and days of operation.  In fact, they often have similar agreements with hospitals and college campus locations.  They always spell out days and hours of operation. 

For background... I was corporate counsel for Blimpie & North America Franchising a few years ago.

Do you agree that NY is a fascist state?

And BTW, this is a red herring. It’s not the issue in question.

8 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

this is a red herring. It’s not the issue in question.

Are you in the habit of posting articles that are red herrings? or are you just stirring the pot?

43 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Are you in the habit of posting articles that are red herrings? or are you just stirring the pot?

I didn’t post it, genius. And it’s not clear you read it.

• Haha 1

If CFA didn’t already have contracts at 7 locations (which are unaffected) and folks were asked if publicly built rest areas should only have restaurants that open 7 days a week to serve travelers, I’m not sure that would even be controversial. We’re so polarized folks tend to read a ton into this otherwise common sense legislation.

11 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

I didn’t post it, genius. And it’s not clear you read it.

oops my bad. 

• Like 1

I disagree with State governments trying to prevent Chik-fil-a from opening due to 'anti-lgbtq' or political ground, but I have no problems with this bill requiring future contracts to require 7 day a week operations when leasing out space on public land. The reasoning makes sense, and It's not unconstitutional. 

10 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

Do you agree that NY is a fascist state?

And BTW, this is a red herring. It’s not the issue in question.

Of course not.  I just don't understand why some on the left choose hills like this one to die on.  Unless there is something that I am missing, it just doesn't make sense.

• Facepalm 1

16 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

Interestingly enough, CFA, in the beginning, only offered franchises in malls.  They had no stand alone facilities; how times have changed.

I don’t think everything is a conspiracy, it just turns out that way.

When I was a kid, that was the best smell in the food court at the mall.  It's funny how things like that stick in a person's memory.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

Of course not.  I just don't understand why some on the left choose hills like this one to die on.  Unless there is something that I am missing, it just doesn't make sense.

To what hill are you referring?

16 minutes ago, auburnatl1 said:

My next tail gate I’m going to serve CFA and bud light. 1) low cost 2) guaranteed pandemonium to enjoy

Depending on the participants, you will have the food eaten and they will bring their own beer.

2 hours ago, AU9377 said:

Nope not missing anything. Nothing the left does makes sense. Welcome to the right. Glad to have you.

• Haha 1

On 12/18/2023 at 12:24 PM, TexasTiger said:

Chances are they didn’t think to require it in the RFP because it is the industry norm to be open on Sundays. RFPs aren’t typically written toward addressing every exceedingly rare exception. But a business could be owned by a religious person whose religion doesn’t work on Saturdays. Same concern. I suspect they contracted after a public bid process and CFA was a successful bidder on the criteria established. Absent a law such as the one proposed, since they didn’t require it in the RFP, they probably would be hard pressed to deny a contract based on that point. They may be hard pressed to break the contract if the law is passed, but they need not renew it if CFA opts to stay closed on Sunday, and future proposals would require compliance with the law. But you keep throwing around “fascism!” Like an Antifa activist. 😉

Other possibilities that I wouldn't put past politicians in that region

1.  They don't like CFA's stance on certain social and political issues and don't like that the state contracted with a company like that for these locations, but they know they can't really push to get rid of them on that basis.  So they concoct this new bill about being open on Sundays knowing CFA almost 100% won't compromise on the matter and will leave on their own.  

2.  The politician in question is getting their palm greased by the owner of another food chain that would like to get into these locations CFA has in the terminals, so they propose this bill that would get CFA to leave and then they'll promote this benefactor's chain and continue to enjoy kickbacks.

3.  All of the above.

1 minute ago, TitanTiger said:

1.  They don't like CFA's stance on certain social and political issues and don't like that the state contracted with a company like that for these locations, but they know they can't really push to get rid of them on that basis.  So they concoct this new bill about being open on Sundays knowing CFA almost 100% won't compromise on the matter and will leave on their own.  

2.  The politician in question is getting their palm greased by the owner of another food chain that would like to get into these locations CFA has in the terminals, so they propose this bill that would get CFA to leave and then they'll promote this benefactor's chain and continue to enjoy kickbacks.

3.  All of the above.

Ah, I see someone else basically answered this for us.  It's a back door attempt to discriminate.

The new law would require that any eatery on the highway be open seven days a week, which is impossible for Chick-fil-A as it is famously closed on Sundays in recognition of the Sabbath.

“To serve New Yorkers and travelers, things should be open seven days a week, including Chick-fil-A, and if they can’t they shouldn’t be in our rest stops. There should be options for people to eat and drink and not just one spot,” Assembly member Tony Simone told the Post.

“It simply makes no sense for any provider of food services in these busy travel plazas to be closed on Sundays.”

Simone advocate on LGBT issues, made it clear he’s no fan of the wildly popular fast food stop.

“Chick-fil-A has had a terrible record on LGBT rights. I’m not going to not say that clearly,” he said when asked if that was a motivation behind the bill.

3 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

3.  All of the above.

#2 makes sense to me. 

Nobody can grease up your palms like a fast food restaurant. If KFC is the benefactor I imagine that politicians hands and just dripping with the oil. 

29 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Ah, I see someone else basically answered this for us.  It's a back door attempt to discriminate.

The new law would require that any eatery on the highway be open seven days a week, which is impossible for Chick-fil-A as it is famously closed on Sundays in recognition of the Sabbath.

“To serve New Yorkers and travelers, things should be open seven days a week, including Chick-fil-A, and if they can’t they shouldn’t be in our rest stops. There should be options for people to eat and drink and not just one spot,” Assembly member Tony Simone told the Post.

“It simply makes no sense for any provider of food services in these busy travel plazas to be closed on Sundays.”

Simone advocate on LGBT issues, made it clear he’s no fan of the wildly popular fast food stop.

“Chick-fil-A has had a terrible record on LGBT rights. I’m not going to not say that clearly,” he said when asked if that was a motivation behind the bill.

Folks tend to have visceral reactions to the CFA issue on one side or another that cloud objectivity. I’m on neither of those sides. I don’t seek out CFA, but if it’s my best option I’ll eat it and likely enjoy the experience. Frankly, I think Canes is better. But I don’t need to be eating much of either. Cathey’s politics or beliefs don’t play into my assessment. If they do for others, don’t eat there. But I have no problem having them open as many stores as the market will bear.

If I was the person in charge of procuring restaurants to serve families and other travelers at a publicly funded rest stop or transit location and I didn’t think to require any proposers to be open 7 days a week and for reasonably long hours I’d be kicking myself and I’d damn sure learn from it. If I had overseen a process that leased the restaurant space to a vendor that was closed 50% of every weekend,  which is when most families travel, I would consider that as a major failure and wouldn’t be surprised if I lost my job over it. 

Going forward, I’d require it. If someone didn’t require it, thus granting a “CFA exception” to a policy that best served the public, that would be wrong. That said, not honoring any existing contracts granted properly thru the rules at the time would be wrong, too.