2025 4* DL Antonio Coleman Flips Back To Bama

TAYLORKEETON

36 minutes ago, CameronCrazy said:

I don’t think you can over state the effect of losing Ryan Williams to UAT. Most people said no big deal because we already had the #1 WR class in the country. 

But once he re-committed to UAT, that eliminated us for KJ Lacey, flipped Antonio Coleman back to UAT, solidified Caleb Odom & Jaylen Mbakwe to UAT, and other unknown repercussions. Massive loss for Auburn - Ryan Williams would’ve been worth all the money that we could’ve paid him. 

I think RW would have been the cherry on top. U can’t just unload a brinks truck on one guy. Auburn has a good receiving core and there are more pressing positions of need. To date the running back room is still the strength  until otherwise.Once Auburn starts winning the rest will take care of itself. 

Edited by e808
  • Like 2

Go back and read this thread on December 22nd when Coleman flipped from Bama to Auburn. Everybody loved it then and was saying Merry Flipmas. Nobody was saying they hate the current state of college football in this thread that day. Now he flips BACK to Alabama and people hate the current state of college football because of NIL, the portal and saying that there's no loyalty. 

It is what it is and like several college coaches have recently said, college sports are never going to return to what they were just a few years ago. Gotta roll with the changes if we want to stay relevant. We all love it when Freeze flips recruits to Auburn (and he has flipped quiet a bit since he's been here) but we're also going to have recruits flip from us to other schools as well. It's just the nature of the business now. 

I also agree that Ryan Williams signing with Bama has hurt us with some recruits but I truly think Coleman going back to Bama is mainly due to Coach Garrett leaving for the Jaguars and our new DL coach not having as much experience as an on-field coach. Coleman even said he flipped back to Bama because he feels like they can develop him better there than what we can. That tells me that Coach Garrett leaving was huge in Coleman's decision to flip back to Bama. 

• Like 5

5 hours ago, TeamZero77 said:

Go back and read this thread on December 22nd when Coleman flipped from Bama to Auburn. Everybody loved it then and was saying Merry Flipmas. Nobody was saying they hate the current state of college football in this thread that day. Now he flips BACK to Alabama and people hate the current state of college football because of NIL, the portal and saying that there's no loyalty. 

It is what it is and like several college coaches have recently said, college sports are never going to return to what they were just a few years ago. Gotta roll with the changes if we want to stay relevant. We all love it when Freeze flips recruits to Auburn (and he has flipped quiet a bit since he's been here) but we're also going to have recruits flip from us to other schools as well. It's just the nature of the business now. 

I also agree that Ryan Williams signing with Bama has hurt us with some recruits but I truly think Coleman going back to Bama is mainly due to Coach Garrett leaving for the Jaguars and our new DL coach not having as much experience as an on-field coach. Coleman even said he flipped back to Bama because he feels like they can develop him better there than what we can. That tells me that Coach Garrett leaving was huge in Coleman's decision to flip back to Bama. 

I can't imagine people rejoicing when something good happens to them and being negative when something bad happens to them. /s

• Haha 2

Here's my take on this situation, and I have no evidence or anything of that nature to prove it, just my thoughts: If I recall correctly, when Freeze announced the elevation of King-Williams (or Williams-King, I cannot remember the exact order of that last name), this Coleman kid was very happy about this and said that he was going to stick with his commitment to Auburn. He takes his recruiting trip to T-Town and suddenly he feels that Freddie Roach is the one who can help him elevate his game. Excuse me, but wasn't Roach on the Bama staff when the kid flipped from Bama to Auburn? So, now Roach is the one who's going to elevate his game? IMHO, Bama threw some big-time NIL money at this kid. Did Garret leaving hurt? Maybe. However, I am not in the know on how many pro teams have been after Freddie Roach. Since most assistant coaches want an elevation to at least a coordinator position or to the pros, why is Roach still at Bama? And, if Roach is approached and takes a pro position, or a DC at another school, will Coleman hit the portal? I think NIL played a bigger role in this than what will ever be known. But, as I stated, this is my view and only my view on this flip. 

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, AURandy1345162767 said:

Here's my take on this situation, and I have no evidence or anything of that nature to prove it, just my thoughts: If I recall correctly, when Freeze announced the elevation of King-Williams (or Williams-King, I cannot remember the exact order of that last name), this Coleman kid was very happy about this and said that he was going to stick with his commitment to Auburn. He takes his recruiting trip to T-Town and suddenly he feels that Freddie Roach is the one who can help him elevate his game. Excuse me, but wasn't Roach on the Bama staff when the kid flipped from Bama to Auburn? So, now Roach is the one who's going to elevate his game? IMHO, Bama threw some big-time NIL money at this kid. Did Garret leaving hurt? Maybe. However, I am not in the know on how many pro teams have been after Freddie Roach. Since most assistant coaches want an elevation to at least a coordinator position or to the pros, why is Roach still at Bama? And, if Roach is approached and takes a pro position, or a DC at another school, will Coleman hit the portal? I think NIL played a bigger role in this than what will ever be known. But, as I stated, this is my view and only my view on this flip. 

Agree. The NIL, has to be gotten under control. My thoughts on CFA are waning quickly. It’s now a semi pro business that pays more than minor league baseball and basketball. The game is ruined, until they cap it, like the NFL has been. There’s no salary cap in baseball or basketball, unless you want to pay the BB luxury tax. The thrill of the game is dying in my eyes, because although it’s always been a business for schools, now loyalty is out the window and you can transfer at almost any time you want to. It’s sad and reality pathetic to an extent. I have found myself watching less and less games the last two years. Maybe it’s because I grew up watching the real CFA during the latter 70’s and 80’s. Just not as much fun anymore. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Old fan 47 said:

Agree. The NIL, has to be gotten under control. My thoughts on CFA are waning quickly. It’s now a semi pro business that pays more than minor league baseball and basketball. The game is ruined, until they cap it, like the NFL has been. There’s no salary cap in baseball or basketball, unless you want to pay the BB luxury tax. The thrill of the game is dying in my eyes, because although it’s always been a business for schools, now loyalty is out the window and you can transfer at almost any time you want to. It’s sad and reality pathetic to an extent. I have found myself watching less and less games the last two years. Maybe it’s because I grew up watching the real CFA during the latter 70’s and 80’s. Just not as much fun anymore. 

Exactly. Four years ago I'd have been ecstatic about out recent signing class. Now, it's like "so what?" Maybe they will be here in three years and maybe not. If they are gone we can just pick up replacements from the portal.

Something must be done or it's the death knell for college sports.

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

Exactly. Four years ago I'd have been ecstatic about out recent signing class. Now, it's like "so what?" Maybe they will be here in three years and maybe not. If they are gone we can just pick up replacements from the portal.

Something must be done or it's the death knell for college sports.

I’m trying to understand what you are seeing that will “kill” college sports. It will just be a new team each year. As a matter of fact “Ole Miss” probably lands better than they ever would by bringing in 3-4 year scholarship players. Auburn just has to figure out how best to play the game. I bet it doesn’t wind up being “ have to be in top 5 recruiting class each year”. I also believe the NIL money will calm down some down the road, much the same way that NFL handles it. Still large sums for some positions, but more rational approach to others. Players will still be paid, but natural economics will win out. 

Edited by Hank2020
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Hank2020 said:

I’m trying to understand what you are seeing that will “kill” college sports.

The current situation is not sustainable. Whose big money boys will run out of patience first? That's just one question that needs to be considered. If comments are to be believed, many, including myself, are already much less invested in college sports. How long before this reaches epidemic proportions?

Something has to be done but I have no idea what that might be.

Every time I get excited about a new commitment, my brother reminds me that, until the LOI is signed, they are not Auburn family.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, AURex said:

Every time I get excited about a new commitment, my brother reminds me that, until the LOI is signed, they are not Auburn family.

Is this a new drinking game? See how many times you can shoehorn a reference about your brother in to a post!? 😂😂  lawwwd have mercy!! 

12 hours ago, AURandy1345162767 said:

After reading your post, I think you're probably correct about the reason Coleman left. I didn't know that Antonio Coleman had said that he really liked Vontrell King-Williams and was going to stay committed to us when Jeremy Garrett left for the Jaguars job. I admit that I haven't been keeping up with recruiting as much the last few weeks so I totally missed that. 

When he flipped back to Bama a few days ago, I came here and that's when I read where Coleman said he felt that Freddie Roach is solid and that Bama could develop him more. So my thinking was that Coleman probably liked Jeremy Garrett more than Freddie Roach as his position coach but when Garrett left and Hugh elevated King-Williams to DL coach, Coleman probably felt more comfortable with Roach than he does King-Williams. 

It definitely sucks losing him though. Maybe we end up getting him back by ESD. Thank goodness we still have some really good D-Line commits behind him but it still stings. WDE

9 hours ago, Mikey said:

The current situation is not sustainable. Whose big money boys will run out of patience first? That's just one question that needs to be considered. If comments are to be believed, many, including myself, are already much less invested in college sports. How long before this reaches epidemic proportions?

Something has to be done but I have no idea what that might be.

I agree that present system is not sustainable. I also believe the amount of money CFB provides for all financially connected (not just observers like me) will cause the system to self adjust to remain viable. Non connected observers (like me) Just need to keep watching!!

What I've heard is that once JG left it was  almost inevitable. Combine that with him committing with the understanding that Ryan and KJ were going to be here as well (from Ryan and KJ) and you could see the writing on the wall. Once Ryan went back and we backed off KJ, it was just a matter of when. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• ellitor changed the title to 2025 4* DL Antonio Coleman Flips Back To Bama
  • ellitor unfeatured this topic
On 3/3/2024 at 5:16 PM, Old fan 47 said:

The previous situation with CFB (meaning no NIL and total control over player movement (always in the college’s favor, rarely in players favor), gave the fans the best situation. It was also the worst situation for the players. I agree the present situation changes teams yearly and sounds like it costs colleges a great deal of money (assuming donations to NIL has a negative economic impact to the college). I believe economics will always straighten things out and colleges got what they deserved by not straight forwardly addressing the situation a long time ago. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, yngwie1995 said:

May have to move this back to the Auburn side at some point. 🤷‍♂️

Gonna take more than 1 visit.

• Like 1