McGriff to Texas A&M

Win4AU

8 minutes ago, keesler said:

Wait…. I thought Crime Dog was happy in his off-the-field position?   WTH happened? 

He wasn’t apparently. Dude is not going to want to work with a guy he apparently cannot get along with on the defensive side. 

• Like 1

Didn't Crime Dog, when he was hired by Freeze, say that he was really excited to be back in Auburn and wanted to stay here until he retired? Man, are we in for another year of off-season drama?

28 minutes ago, Randy4AU said:

Didn't Crime Dog, when he was hired by Freeze, say that he was really excited to be back in Auburn and wanted to stay here until he retired? Man, are we in for another year of off-season drama?

You say anything when offered a big check.

is there any proof this Kelly dude can coach? 

1 minute ago, TigerOne said:

You say anything when offered a big check.

is there any proof this Kelly dude can coach? 

He can recruit,  not sure on coaching.  Most of these position coaches are just journeyman 

I would think that techniques between a lot of positions coaches are similar at this level and that getting talent and being able to motivate are a more significant differentiator. 

of course that is just my untrained opinion. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Edited by aujohnson

4 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

He can recruit,  not sure on coaching.  Most of these position coaches are just journeyman 

We need a recruiter like that. He was critical in bringing elite defensive guys to Tuscaloosa. 

• WarTiger changed the title to McGriff to Texas A&M

This is getting old.  I wish him well, but I hope no one tries to bring him back in the future.  I’ve grown weary of recycling former assistant coaches.

Edited by gctiger
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

FSU's D production under CK ranked: 2014-#49, 2015-#9, 2016-#45, 2017-#29.  2015 College Football Team Defense | College Football at Sports-Reference.com

7 seasons at Georgia Tech, 5 at FSU, 4 at UA.  Lots of other stops along the way, but he's had solid tenure at these 3 major universities.  His bio: Charles Kelly (American football) - Wikipedia 

As a DC he is a solid hire.  As a recruiter, he's off the charts good.

I believe Crime Dogg would have stayed at Auburn but Texas A&M is a good job.  Lots of $$$ floating around down there.  

Huge, huge loss. There goes our claim to “DB” U.  What a great recruiter. Hate this has happened again. We deserve to keep having losing seasons.  Man - just stupid decision making. Best recruiter and coach on the staff. 

• Facepalm 1
  • Dislike 1

39 minutes ago, Elephant Tipper said:

FSU's D production under CK ranked: 2014-#49, 2015-#9, 2016-#45, 2017-#29.  2015 College Football Team Defense | College Football at Sports-Reference.com

7 seasons at Georgia Tech, 5 at FSU, 4 at UA.  Lots of other stops along the way, but he's had solid tenure at these 3 major universities.  His bio: Charles Kelly (American football) - Wikipedia 

As a DC he is a solid hire.  As a recruiter, he's off the charts good.

Maybe average. Nothing great. We will end up disappointed. Not close to McGriff. 

1 hour ago, Randy4AU said:

He was excited. He still had his house in Auburn. He wanted to be here long term. Shame on Auburn again. Great coach. 

1 hour ago, DAG said:

He wasn’t apparently. Dude is not going to want to work with a guy he apparently cannot get along with on the defensive side. 

Definitely got rid of the wrong guy. Rushing 2 on 4th and 31 should have gotten Roberts fired. Who in the hell wants to work with that crap. Horrible and embarrassing. Safety play got worse and worse after McGriff left the field. Unbelievable. 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, KillenTime said:

He was excited. He still had his house in Auburn. He wanted to be here long term. Shame on Auburn again. Great coach. 

What did Auburn do to him?

6 minutes ago, KillenTime said:

Maybe average. Nothing great. We will end up disappointed. Not close to McGriff. 

Kelly and McGriff were not good DCs, McGriff was worse though. He may have been a better position coach , maybe.

1 hour ago, gctiger said:

This is getting old.  I wish him well, but I hope no one tries to bring him back in the future.  I’ve grown weary of recycling former assistant coaches.

Unfortunately, some guys are good enough to jump all around. 

27 minutes ago, KillenTime said:

Huge, huge loss. There goes our claim to “DB” U.  What a great recruiter. Hate this has happened again. We deserve to keep having losing seasons.  Man - just stupid decision making. Best recruiter and coach on the staff. 

I think McGriff makes the decision on where he wants to work.

29 minutes ago, KillenTime said:

I'm curious as to where you come up with that statement, because UM under DC McGriff was horrible.  2017-#110, 2018-#114 (compare with CK's D 2014-#49, 2015-#9, 2016-#45, 2017-#29).  His D didn't improve at UM.  WM is a great db coach, but that's it.  NOT a good DC at all.  2 seasons at UM as DC and then he split for AU as a db coach.

WM wanders from program to program.  McGriff in the past 2 decades has never stayed at any one school for more than 2 1/2 seasons which is disruptive to a team. 

CK on the other hand had 7 seasons at Georgia Tech, 5 at FSU, 4 at UA.  He promotes stability, which AU desperately needs.  He's returning to his alma mater where he has staked his career.

• Like 1