Zac Etheridge to Houston

4 minutes ago, imaolgatiger said:

Cool! War Eagle! I have several friends that are bammer fans but graduated from Auburn. I’ve never met a bammer grad that’s an Auburn fan. 

No. I graduated from Yale.  That is my school.

I have been an Auburn fan since the 60's

Just now, 1716AU said:

Cool! You stated that you could tell stories of when you were in turdtown, so I was curious about your affiliation.

19 minutes ago, imaolgatiger said:

Is Zac’s father in law affiliated with the University of Houston? 

Yes! I would leave Auburn too. 

Fritz.JPG

• Like 1

18 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

It's not the same issue exactly, but there's some "adjacency."

But yet Zach is moving to the same town where his girlfriend lives..... interesting 

18 hours ago, metafour said:

No offense, but you are clueless.

Are you plugged into the day to day operations of this program? How could you possibly know who the "best parts of this staff" are?

Does anyone else not find it funny how regardless of who the HC is, the former Auburn players on the staff are ALWAYS the "best coaches", "best recruiters", and can never be replaced in the eyes of the fans? Oh the HC got fired? First order of business is retaining any former AU players on the staff! You can't lose them! I'm so sick and tired of this recurring nonsense of having to pretend like every former AU player who gets to coach here is some sort of God's gift to the AU football program.

You loved Cadillac's passion and recruiting? The guy signed zero RB's this year in an all-time great AU HS recruiting class. He is a very very average recruiter. Neither of these two guys are losses. The word behind the scenes is that McGriff was carrying Etheridge in recruiting; and he was also more liked by the players as well. Cadillac got outworked on the recruiting trail by all of Freeze's own guys who he brought in as new coaches to the staff. Freeze's hand may have been forced into this "decision" by off-field problems, but this actually worked out perfectly for him because I don't think that Cadillac (nor Etheridge) impressed him at all. Don't forget that these two guys were among the "best recruiters" on Bryan Harsin's staff - that's not really high praise. Auburn is going to upgrade on both of them, sorry if it hurts your feelings.

Some of you need to remember that Carnell was hired away from a HS football program with next to no resume. He came from IMG Academy and how many IMG players did we sign during his time here? Zero, so he couldn't even successfully recruit the players off the HS he coached at. @HAPvsOA over here was probably one of the dumbos last year who was trying to push Carnell into the HC job, what a disaster that would have been.

To be fair, @HAPvsOA mentioned passion, recruiting, and alum connection. Then you spent a paragraph just on recruiting critique. I've never understood the side of this board that seems to operate on "They aren't playing at Auburn anymore, so to hell with'em".

I also liked Cadillacs passion and the way he lead, rare today to see outspoken Christians to the level he was doing... one of the things that makes his recent mistakes harder to take. 🤷‍♂️

People also tend to intermix recruiting with on-field success, Caddy and Zaks positions performed well. Therefore they must have recruited and trained well is how peoples minds work. Not everyone on here is gonna dig through On3 or call connects back in Auburn to try and figure out who really got the kid to sign.

I'd love to see more former AU players on staff, but the catch is they gotta earn it. If Takeo Spikes is considered one of the best LB coaches in the country and so is John Smith and they both want to come to Auburn... Takeo should be picked over him every time. But if Takeo is just starting out you pick the other guy... and maybe make some calls for Takeo to some HSs or small colleges.

Basically I still root for these dudes after they finish playing, and don't see that as a bad thing. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

19 hours ago, 1716AU said:

that is pretty impressive sir!

23 hours ago, 1716AU said:

"Good Heavens, a Yale man", Thurston Howell lll.

• Love 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Mims44 said:

To be fair, @HAPvsOA mentioned passion, recruiting, and alum connection. Then you spent a paragraph just on recruiting critique. I've never understood the side of this board that seems to operate on "They aren't playing at Auburn anymore, so to hell with'em".

I also liked Cadillacs passion and the way he lead, rare today to see outspoken Christians to the level he was doing... one of the things that makes his recent mistakes harder to take. 🤷‍♂️

People also tend to intermix recruiting with on-field success, Caddy and Zaks positions performed well. Therefore they must have recruited and trained well is how peoples minds work. Not everyone on here is gonna dig through On3 or call connects back in Auburn to try and figure out who really got the kid to sign.

I'd love to see more former AU players on staff, but the catch is they gotta earn it. If Takeo Spikes is considered one of the best LB coaches in the country and so is John Smith and they both want to come to Auburn... Takeo should be picked over him every time. But if Takeo is just starting out you pick the other guy... and maybe make some calls for Takeo to some HSs or small colleges.

Basically I still root for these dudes after they finish playing, and don't see that as a bad thing. 

I focused on recruiting because it's a tangible quality whereas the other two suggestions are comically irrelevant data points. Alum connections? Seriously? That's what I'm going to judge my coaching staff on? Are alum connections going to somehow translate into wins? It certainly hasn't during Cadillac's entire tenure here (fun fact: the last three years he has been a coach here have all been losing seasons).

"Passion and the way he led" - if he wasn't a former player these would never get brought up. What did he lead us to? Again, the team has been largely pathetic for the majority of his tenure here. Seems like a lot of praise over nothing, which is usually the case when we're talking about former players turned coaches here. If you actually follow the "story" of what he allegedly did and why he was forced to resign, how could you possibly ever call him a "Christian leader" lmao? What makes anyone conclude that Carnell was any more a "leader" than anyone else on the staff? He was actually awfully invisible this past season after the whole hoopla over his "magical tenure" (yes sarcasm) as the interim-HC. 

I disagree vehemently with "loving to see more former AU players on staff". Why? Because these guys are impossible to get rid of without half (or more) of the fanbase losing their s***. They get treated like immovable gods regardless of how good they are at their job. The rest of the time they're here is filled with nonstop nonsense about how they should be the next OC, DC, or even the ****ing HC. I'm not making this s*** up, last year after we finally passed the idiocy which was "hire Carnell for HC!" we immediately moved into a large portion of the fanbase talking about making him the freaking OC. There are guys on the off-field support staff who have 10x more qualification to be the OC; the idea of Carnell being an OC is an absolute joke to anyone who actually knows anything about football. He knows nothing about offense, but again, because he's a beloved former player you have to constantly entertain the casual AU fan who knows ****-all about football as they make these idiotic requests. Before that you had people seriously suggesting making Rodney Garner the DC. Garner has been coaching for 30+ years and not one HC has thought to make him his DC, but at Auburn this is actually seen as a viable option by the clueless faithful LMFAO. Want me to continue? How about T-Will being promoted as some no-brainer must have DC? How has that worked out for Arkansas so far? He may be a viable option some day, but he's not even close yet - and that's the problem: regardless of what is best for Auburn football, you're going to see the average AU fan call for what makes their orange and blue genitals tingle. And then they turn around and complain and cry when AU is an average program.

The problem with former players coaching at Auburn is that the average Auburn fan is not capable of behaving properly to the idea. The campaign to try to make Carnell the permanent HC just a season ago is like the icing on the cake of a million examples of this.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, metafour said:

I focused on recruiting because it's a tangible quality whereas the other two suggestions are comically irrelevant data points. Alum connections? Seriously? That's what I'm going to judge my coaching staff on? Are alum connections going to somehow translate into wins? It certainly hasn't during Cadillac's entire tenure here (fun fact: the last three years he has been a coach here have all been losing seasons).

"Passion and the way he led" - if he wasn't a former player these would never get brought up. What did he lead us to? Again, the team has been largely pathetic for the majority of his tenure here. Seems like a lot of praise over nothing, which is usually the case when we're talking about former players turned coaches here. If you actually follow the "story" of what he allegedly did and why he was forced to resign, how could you possibly ever call him a "Christian leader" lmao? What makes anyone conclude that Carnell was any more a "leader" than anyone else on the staff? He was actually awfully invisible this past season after the whole hoopla over his "magical tenure" (yes sarcasm) as the interim-HC. 

I disagree vehemently with "loving to see more former AU players on staff". Why? Because these guys are impossible to get rid of without half (or more) of the fanbase losing their s***. They get treated like immovable gods regardless of how good they are at their job. The rest of the time they're here is filled with nonstop nonsense about how they should be the next OC, DC, or even the ****ing HC. I'm not making this s*** up, last year after we finally passed the idiocy which was "hire Carnell for HC!" we immediately moved into a large portion of the fanbase talking about making him the freaking OC. There are guys on the off-field support staff who have 10x more qualification to be the OC; the idea of Carnell being an OC is an absolute joke to anyone who actually knows anything about football. He knows nothing about offense, but again, because he's a beloved former player you have to constantly entertain the casual AU fan who knows ****-all about football as they make these idiotic requests. Before that you had people seriously suggesting making Rodney Garner the DC. Garner has been coaching for 30+ years and not one HC has thought to make him his DC, but at Auburn this is actually seen as a viable option by the clueless faithful LMFAO. Want me to continue? How about T-Will being promoted as some no-brainer must have DC? How has that worked out for Arkansas so far? He may be a viable option some day, but he's not even close yet - and that's the problem: regardless of what is best for Auburn football, you're going to see the average AU fan call for what makes their orange and blue genitals tingle. And then they turn around and complain and cry when AU is an average program.

The problem with former players coaching at Auburn is that the average Auburn fan is not capable of behaving properly to the idea. The campaign to try to make Carnell the permanent HC just a season ago is like the icing on the cake of a million examples of this.

624876b9-4892-4a65-9ab8-6f897c09a762.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

7 hours ago, NWALA Tiger said:

But yet Zach is moving to the same town where his girlfriend lives..... interesting 

Zac's engaged to Willie Fritz daughter Lainie and like you said, is moving to her town. Willie Fritz is the new Houston head coach, was Tulane's head coach. Lainie does sideline reporting for Houston Texans games and stuff. So I agree with you, doesn't fit what so many are claiming happened in Nashville. Zac even told Philip Dukes exactly why he is going back to Houston. I guess some people think it looks bad for Zac to leave his job at Houston 3 years ago, come to his alma mater to work for Harsin for 2 years and Hugh for 1 year and then leave AU to go right back to Houston. But he has a damn good opportunity to move up quickly under what will likely be his father-in-law Willie Fritz. 

Edited by TeamZero77
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, metafour said:

"Passion and the way he led" - if he wasn't a former player these would never get brought up. What did he lead us to? Again, the team has been largely pathetic for the majority of his tenure here. Seems like a lot of praise over nothing, which is usually the case when we're talking about former players turned coaches here.

He wasn't the HC. putting losing seasons on a position coach is.... odd.

The RBs did well, Auburns offense for a few years now has been 'If you stop the run, we lose' as it was the only thing worth a damn.

Passion and way someone leads is most def brought up for other non-AU graduates.  Muschamp was a UGA guy but people here loved those things about him. TT was also lively and people loved that about Trooper until they didn't :lol: 

It comes off more that you dislike an Auburn grad getting this praise.

If you actually follow the "story" of what he allegedly did and why he was forced to resign, how could you possibly ever call him a "Christian leader" lmao? What makes anyone conclude that Carnell was any more a "leader" than anyone else on the staff? He was actually awfully invisible this past season after the whole hoopla over his "magical tenure" (yes sarcasm) as the interim-HC. 

I spoke on that with my very next sentence actually. And I can call him a Christian leader as he lead men in Christian activities. The fact he screwed up doesn't change that.

If you talk 100 people into getting clean and fixing their life, then later you are found shooting up in a bathroom. You screwed up, but it doesn't change the fact you helped those 100 people.

The only thing we agree on is giving positions to people who can't do the job or are undeserving being a bad thing. But I can't agree with someone who is legit at their job being disallowed from working at their alma mater.

People who aren't in power opinions don't actually matter. Caddy was never gonna be the HC. No matter what people on here or FB post. The fact that Auburn grads becoming fan favorites AT AUBURN angers you means you have been angry forever and you are going to continue to be angry forever :lol: 

Still ❤️ you though Meta :) 

• Like 2

On 1/12/2024 at 11:55 AM, metafour said:

No offense, but you are clueless.

Are you plugged into the day to day operations of this program? How could you possibly know who the "best parts of this staff" are?

Does anyone else not find it funny how regardless of who the HC is, the former Auburn players on the staff are ALWAYS the "best coaches", "best recruiters", and can never be replaced in the eyes of the fans? Oh the HC got fired? First order of business is retaining any former AU players on the staff! You can't lose them! I'm so sick and tired of this recurring nonsense of having to pretend like every former AU player who gets to coach here is some sort of God's gift to the AU football program.

You loved Cadillac's passion and recruiting? The guy signed zero RB's this year in an all-time great AU HS recruiting class. He is a very very average recruiter. Neither of these two guys are losses. The word behind the scenes is that McGriff was carrying Etheridge in recruiting; and he was also more liked by the players as well. Cadillac got outworked on the recruiting trail by all of Freeze's own guys who he brought in as new coaches to the staff. Freeze's hand may have been forced into this "decision" by off-field problems, but this actually worked out perfectly for him because I don't think that Cadillac (nor Etheridge) impressed him at all. Don't forget that these two guys were among the "best recruiters" on Bryan Harsin's staff - that's not really high praise. Auburn is going to upgrade on both of them, sorry if it hurts your feelings.

Some of you need to remember that Carnell was hired away from a HS football program with next to no resume. He came from IMG Academy and how many IMG players did we sign during his time here? Zero, so he couldn't even successfully recruit the players off the HS he coached at. @HAPvsOA over here was probably one of the dumbos last year who was trying to push Carnell into the HC job, what a disaster that would have been.

Good job on all the assumptions. You couldn't be more wrong. 

So you're telling me that you didn't enjoy Caddy's passion in getting the team back on track when Harsin was fired? And I heard from 247 and On3 all year that we were not taking a RB this year bc of Hunter wasn't leaving and we had Henderson lined up for next year bc he was Caddy's guy, not because Caddy couldn't recruit.

Edited by HAPvsOA
  • Like 1

On 1/12/2024 at 12:53 PM, 1716AU said:

Wouldn’t qualify at Auburn anyways hehehe

• Haha 1

On 1/12/2024 at 1:13 PM, maryland tiger said:

Yes! I would leave Auburn too. 

Fritz.JPG

If you look closely there is an extremely ergonomical office chair, anyways that’s a damn good reason . 

• Haha 1

On 1/12/2024 at 11:54 AM, HAPvsOA said:

Zac and Caddy were the best parts of this staff IMO. I loved their passion, recruiting, and alum connection. So much for "alignment." I though Freeze was smart to retain them when he arrived and am disheartened that he didn't do more to have one or both stay.

I am really hoping Marcus Davis is retained, because even with the rumors, I didn't think this would actually happen, but am now expecting more former Liberty and Ole Miss staff to replace them just like what happened as Harsin's original staff fell apart. And the timing couldn't be worse with Saban retiring. 

Back to only getting excited about AU Basketball. 🤪

Not to pile on. Zac and caddy needed to go to move the program forward. They are not sec caliber , maybe one day. Great guys, but not the level of AU. 

27 minutes ago, JDUBB4AU said:

Not to pile on. Zac and caddy needed to go to move the program forward. They are not sec caliber , maybe one day. Great guys, but not the level of AU. 

What specifically is SEC caliber . The only thing that can be held against them is years but everyone has to start somewhere. The running backs room was the strongest on the team. No RB this cycle was a coaching decision that was out of his control . On the flip side of this NIX who is supposed to take Caddy place has pretty been a lifer at rb coach with over 20 years 

Zac played a big part in helping get Perry so what am I missing here far performance or production.

I do understand they needed to be let go for personal matters which is understandable but  not because of performance. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, e808 said:

What specifically is SEC caliber . The only thing that can be held against them is years but everyone has to start somewhere. The running backs room was the strongest on the team. No RB this cycle was a coaching decision that was out of his control . On the flip side of this NIX who is supposed to take Caddy place has pretty been a lifer at rb coach with over 20 years 

Zac played a big part in helping get Perry so what am I missing here far performance or production.

I do understand they needed to be let go for personal matters which is understandable but  not because of performance. 

Agree. The offense has been a complete train wreck for years now but RB has consistently been the strength. They've done about as well as you can with a terrible OL, no passing threat, and teams subsequently stacking the box. 

Why did we sign zero RB's this class? Because it was the only position group on the entire team that is well stocked with legit talent. Crazy to hold that against Caddy. 

• Like 7

10 hours ago, JDUBB4AU said:

IMO, Zac is. 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, cbo said:

Agree. The offense has been a complete train wreck for years now but RB has consistently been the strength. They've done about as well as you can with a terrible OL, no passing threat, and teams subsequently stacking the box. 

Why did we sign zero RB's this class? Because it was the only position group on the entire team that is well stocked with legit talent. Crazy to hold that against Caddy. 

Yeah, as soon as we knew Quez was returning we processed Phat.  The room was set 

18 hours ago, Mims44 said:

Auburns offense for a few years now has been 'If you stop the run, we lose' as it was the only thing worth a damn.

Which teams mostly did so.....