Texas

AURex

In Norway, but also other Scandinavian/European countries, the word "Texas" is used as a way of describing events (not people, just events). The term derives from their fascination and love with old Western movies.

The word is used as slang for wild, lawless, crazy, out of control. The most common phrase is "helt texas" as in "det var helt texas," which translates to, roughly, "that was totally/absolutely/completely bonkers."

I lived in Houston during the early 80s. Liked it well enough. But then is not now. As for now .........

I'm not Norwegian, but ..... Yep! Sounds about right! hahahaha

Are the farmer’s protests going on all over Europe considered *Texas*?  Do they have a point, or just spreading manure just for *Texas* sake?

• Haha 1

On 1/27/2024 at 10:26 PM, AURex said:

In Norway, but also other Scandinavian/European countries, the word "Texas" is used as a way of describing events (not people, just events). The term derives from their fascination and love with old Western movies.

The word is used as slang for wild, lawless, crazy, out of control. The most common phrase is "helt texas" as in "det var helt texas," which translates to, roughly, "that was totally/absolutely/completely bonkers."

I lived in Houston during the early 80s. Liked it well enough. But then is not now. As for now .........

Reminds me of "Florida man".  ;D

Edited by homersapien
  • Haha 1

Lived in Texas 4 years. Lived in Florida 3 years. Would never go back to either state today even for a few days of vacation. Of course, I could say the same about a few other states, but they are not in this conversation ... yet. hahaha

I ran it by a Norwegian friend of mine who confirmed the accuracy of the OP. She did say it was from several years ago, 40-45, hasn’t heard it since and doubts if her kids have ever heard it used.  Pretty funny the reputation TV can give to foreigners. Some of her family in 2015 thought we didn’t let black people go to college in the US.  

21 hours ago, AURex said:

Lived in Texas 4 years. Lived in Florida 3 years. Would never go back to either state today even for a few days of vacation.

Feel sure that you are not missed and that some people in both states appreciate absence.

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

23 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

Feel sure that you are not missed and that some people in both states appreciate absence.

LMAO!

That is one salty tiger!

On 1/29/2024 at 7:42 PM, SaltyTiger said:

Uh, I think that's his point. 

On 1/27/2024 at 9:26 PM, AURex said:

Houston's decline parallels the political shift in Harris County's judiciary.  

• Love 1

8 hours ago, homersapien said:

Uh, I think that's his point. 

Don’t care about his “point”. Mine was that he is a horses @ss. 

• Haha 1

My opinion is about states that I no longer choose to visit. Your response is to attack me personally, which is the typical way brainless azzhats and MAGAnuts respond when they have no cogent, intelligent, substantive response.

Instead of attacking me personally, why not tell us why you think Texas and Florida are wonderful states deserving of our support?

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, AURex said:

why you think Texas and Florida are wonderful states deserving of our support?

When you say “our support,” what exactly are you referencing?

41 minutes ago, AURex said:

My opinion is about states that I no longer choose to visit. Your response is to attack me personally, which is the typical way brainless azzhats and MAGAnuts respond when they have no cogent, intelligent, substantive response.

Instead of attacking me personally, why not tell us why you think Texas and Florida are wonderful states deserving of our support?

Because both states are awesome. Both states have good governors who promote and protect their states despite national level attacks constantly defaming us as residents and a population. You can support us or not. We don’t need you or want you if you don’t want us. Happy to oblige and laughable that you would imply someone needs to tell you why we are deserving of your support. Stay north my friend.

• Haha 3

17 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

Don’t care about his “point”. Mine was that he is a horses @ss. 

And your opinion is based on what?

• Facepalm 1

5 hours ago, homersapien said:

And your opinion is based on what?

You must be bored. Go service your tractor or something. Spring is just around the corner.

15 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

You must be bored. Go service your tractor or something. Spring is just around the corner.

With all due respect, you need to develop greater skills for introspection, or at least stop avoiding it.

Edited by homersapien
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, homersapien said:

With all due respect, you need to develop greater skills for introspection, or at least stop avoiding it.

Pot meet kettle. 

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, homersapien said:

Thank you for the concern Brother Homer.

hahaha A lot of angst and swatting and panty twisting over nuthin'

I was born at Martin Army hospital in Columbus. Raised in Alabama. Graduated from Auburn. Now live in Knoxville.

This is not and was never intended as a POLITICAL thread.

In 2013, I was entering semi-retirement. I only do consulting now.

Wifey and I sat down to figure out where we wanted to live for the remainder of our lives. Our forever home.

Number one on our checklist was NO SEVERE WEATHER. Added items were taxes, mountains and natural environment, etc.

Why not Florida? Her parents loved it there. But we are not beach people. No kids, so Disney/Universal is of zero interest. And Hurricanes. Tropical environment. We had no reason to be in Florida.

No severe weather? Hurricanes + tornadoes? Eliminate Mississippi and Louisiana.

We lived in Houston in the 80s. Liked it while there. Enjoyed proximity to San Antonio, Austin, hill country. But there was nothing there that was calling to us -- no family in the region, no specific attraction for us. Plus we had sat through a hurricane and some really bad storms. Severe weather? Yep.

We loved SF in the 90s, but earthquake while in California and now it is a dumpster fire and a very expensive one at that.

We lived in the Midwest for awhile. We are not farmers and the winters were BRUTAL. Wifey said if I ever accepted another job in the Midwest, she'd divorce me.

Augusta GA was just as boring as the Midwest, with the only redeeming quality being you can (with some effort) drive to Charleston, Savannah or Atlanta. But why return?

So we chose Knoxville. Why? My mother's family was from Knoxville and east TN. Seasons but no severe weather. Two mountain ranges and lots of state parks. No income tax. Beautiful easy drive to Asheville or Chattanooga. Close enough for extended weekends in Atlanta. Easy to visit family in Huntsville.

We love it here. We do not for one moment regret our decision to live in Knoxville.

Now, if you want to twist your panties in a wad because we decided against Florida and Texas, well, go to it and shove them deep! We also decided against a lot of other places.

As far as "go north," hahaha welp, yeah Knoxville is north of both Florida and Texas. So we went north. hahaha

Post your apologies for stupid assumptions or not. I don't expect them because ....... hahaha

• Love 1

On 1/28/2024 at 8:47 PM, AURex said:

Lived in Texas 4 years. Lived in Florida 3 years. Would never go back to either state today even for a few days of vacation. Of course, I could say the same about a few other states, but they are not in this conversation ... yet. hahaha

I think the problem is the way this comes across compared to the way you laid it out in your last post.   Tennessee is a great state to retire in, so is Texas,  and I would guess by the number of people that live in Florida, it is too.   

On 2/1/2024 at 2:40 PM, NolaAuTiger said:

Houston's decline parallels the political shift in Harris County's judiciary.  

Damned accurate, and I don't see much of anything on the horizon to change it.  Whitmire has a hell of a challenge in front of him as mayor.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, AURex said:

This is not and was never intended as a POLITICAL thread.

This begs the question; why did you post it in the POLITICAL forum?

• Like 2

On 1/27/2024 at 10:26 PM, AURex said:

I am always intrigued by folks from US States that soil their pants on a daily basis, deciding to wax eloquently on European countries that are more advanced in practically every way.  

They view the US as a very lawless country, especially since we can't figure out how to handle the daily mass shootings, or how not to look at everything as a transaction that has to be won at all cost.

Then again, I just remind them to look at American Christianity, and you will understand why...

• Like 1

14 hours ago, 1716AU said:

I am always intrigued by folks from US States that soil their pants on a daily basis, deciding to wax eloquently on European countries that are more advanced in practically every way.  

They view the US as a very lawless country, especially since we can't figure out how to handle the daily mass shootings, or how not to look at everything as a transaction that has to be won at all cost.

Then again, I just remind them to look at American Christianity, and you will understand why...

And yet they come to us when the #%^* hits the fan and they need an Avenger. 

• Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 1