Men's BB going forward

AURex

19 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Someone’s going to come in here and call me a Bammer like I haven’t defended Pearl on here more than virtually anyone, but I can’t come in here and lie either. You don’t win at the league leading rate they’re set to win at, while existing in the tier 2 of overall talent in the league, unless the coach is doing something right. 

Lololololol yah that’s you!!!! Ol sunshine pumper. Shiiiiiii ain’t no one would confuse you for that!!!!

On 2/23/2024 at 12:14 PM, KillenTime said:

" Pearl’s own mouth, not having that basketball only facility matters greatly"

That is all on him.  The facility was approved by the board at least 2 years ago.  He put the project on hold citing he had to get NIL in order to compete.  I think the environment changed on him right in the middle of his pitch and plan to get the new facility.  Now the #1 issue and only issue is NIL -  period.  Does he use the funds donated to build a facility or does he use the money to fund NIL?  Right now he is choosing to use new money on NIL vs. completing his "much needed" facility.  

Well he needs both lol. Whether or not he chose one of the other, both are needed. Even if he did the pick NIL over the facility, then that would just mean he had the foresight to pick the one that was obviously going to be more pressing. 

• Thanks 1

On 2/21/2024 at 8:47 PM, nthemix said:

nobody wants to admit this but  … the AU ptb are very happy with 20+ wins & a trip to the NCAA Tournament every year … anything beyond that is icing  … sorry but that’s the truth 

WtF would everyone else be happy with if not this??? Duke does NOT win the championship every year. Gosh. You guys....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

33 minutes ago, JuscAUse! said:

WtF would everyone else be happy with if not this??? Duke does NOT win the championship every year. Gosh. You guys....

Problem with “new money” fans. Always going to have a football mentality…

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

With the road win at Georgia we are still in running for a shot at SEC title. We are one game out and three of next 4 we should win. We need our best game on the road against Tenn. That is a big order but if at beginning of year you had told us we would have a shot with 4 games to go I would have been very happy.

I am proud of the way this team has battled all year.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

With the road win at Georgia we are still in running for a shot at SEC title. We are one game out and three of next 4 we should win. We need our best game on the road against Tenn. That is a big order but if at beginning of year you had told us we would have a shot with 4 games to go I would have been very happy.

I am proud of the way this team has battled all year.

Nah, Oates is just a better basketball coach than the best that ever coached at Auburn. Let's get back to that conversation. 

• Haha 1

On 2/22/2024 at 11:32 AM, TAYLORKEETON said:

Some of y’all are TRIPPING. Do you not remember what bball was like before BP?

Lose a few games & everybody loses their minds. win or lose, we are in the golden era of AU bball. So much negativity when you should be appreciative. Some of us can never be satisfied and it’s sad. 

That has always been a truism about AU sports. And I am as guilty about doing it at times as anyone.

• Like 1

On 2/24/2024 at 4:15 PM, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Well he needs both lol. Whether or not he chose one of the other, both are needed. Even if he did the pick NIL over the facility, then that would just mean he had the foresight to pick the one that was obviously going to be more pressing. 

Well it wasn't exactly foresight.  He was losing recruits because Auburn wasn't ready for NIL.  Or being generous you could say we were being careful with NIL until the rules were better understood.  Bottom line the new facility was approved in early February 2022.  A few days later the Auburn Arena was renamed to Neville Arena.  Designs were due in the summer of 2022 but never happened.  When asked about the plans and progress, Bruce was quoted on several occasions saying we need to figure out NIL first.  This was right after getting out bid for several major recruits.   2 years since acquiring the financial support and Trustee's approval no plans have been presented and hardly any questions come up about the facility. I think the new basketball only facility will be crucial in maintaining our ability to recruit post Pearl.  Nike and a new facility may provide Stephen the ability to keep it going. 

On 2/19/2024 at 10:48 PM, AURex said:

My brother keeps wanting to try to put this all on CBP. Like, he just finds guys and lets them run around and do whatever they want, not running disciplined plays on the offensive end. not taking care of the ball, throwing away passes, etc.

I'm thinking instead, CBP pulls in the best guys he can lure to Auburn. They aren't the superstars that end up at UNC, Duke, UKY, Kansas, but they are the best he can lure to football school Auburn. Sometimes he gets really lucky and ends up with a final four team. Other times, he has superstars but they don't gel as a great team (Jabari/Kessler).

Thing is, when your team is made up of players who were good at a lower level, fact is they are now playing against teams at a higher level.

And truth -- teams often get better as the year goes on. Kentucky today is not Kentucky of 6 weeks ago.

Can Auburn rebound and beat Miss State at home? I dunno. If the MSU big man is healthy and playing well, well, that's a big problem for Auburn.

Personally, I'm hoping the guys can get their shiiiiiite together and play out with a good showing in the SEC tourney and get past round 2 of the NCAA. Is that realistic?

Put what exactly on CBP? The SEC title hunt? The bracketology of how high a seed we may earn? Fighting for a double bye in the SEC tourney an potentially another title? YES tell your brother to put all of that on CBP. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, JwgreDeux said:

Put what exactly on CBP? The SEC title hunt? The bracketology of how high a seed we may earn? Fighting for a double bye in the SEC tourney a potentially another title? YES tell your brother to put all of that on CBP. 

For all the recruiting faults we put on CBP these last few years, CBM looks like a supreme get, Chaney is trending upwards, and Aden is a long term prospect (and always was going to be more than a one and done). There’s a couple more slots I would’ve liked to fill no doubt, but those dudes looked pretty good with extended burn yesterday 

7 hours ago, JwgreDeux said:

Put what exactly on CBP?

Exactly what I said. Try reading comprehension.

12 hours ago, AURex said:

I guess I am missing something. It seemed like your brother was "putting all this" negatively on CBP. Didn't seem like he was giving credit, maybe I missed something. 

Also, with your inference that CBP recruits and hopes for the best, getting lucky sometimes and not other times. Maybe I am not the only one missing something. Not sure why the need for anything extra on replies. Its ok for us to just disagree. 

CBP, and most modern college basketball offenses, have a framework of cuts, passes, movements etc that the player work within utilizing a lot of read and react decision making in the process. We have one of the highest assist to baskets make ratio's in the country. That alone should dispel any misplaced idea that there is no offensive structure and it is just a bunch of one on one iso going on. I'm not sure what "discipline plays" are to you, but there isn't a situation where our team is going to come down and make a series of predetermined passes and cuts to get a specific shot, except for special circumstances. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, AURex said:

Try not bickering like the teenagers I'm teaching right now 

• Haha 1

On 2/26/2024 at 12:10 PM, KillenTime said:

Well it wasn't exactly foresight.  He was losing recruits because Auburn wasn't ready for NIL.  Or being generous you could say we were being careful with NIL until the rules were better understood.  Bottom line the new facility was approved in early February 2022.  A few days later the Auburn Arena was renamed to Neville Arena.  Designs were due in the summer of 2022 but never happened.  When asked about the plans and progress, Bruce was quoted on several occasions saying we need to figure out NIL first.  This was right after getting out bid for several major recruits.   2 years since acquiring the financial support and Trustee's approval no plans have been presented and hardly any questions come up about the facility. I think the new basketball only facility will be crucial in maintaining our ability to recruit post Pearl.  Nike and a new facility may provide Stephen the ability to keep it going. 

So, did AU get the money for the facility or not? The school cannot put money into the NIL. The only way the donated money could be used for NIL is if it was never given to the school but was given to the OTV collective for basketball instead. If that much was given to the NIL, we sure haven't got our money's worth in terms of players acquired. Something isn't ringing true here.

• Like 1

Maybe the money was "pledged" at the time of the board meeting and not received yet.  I don't know.  Maybe they asked the Neville's to hold on to it and fund OTV with the interest proceeds from the pledged amount.  Or maybe the Athletic dept received the money and with inflation is holding off or trying to raise additional funds to get the design they really want instead of settling for something less post the major inflationary period.  Perhaps they had money pledged in addition to the Neville donation and decided to re-route those funds for NIL.  

Maybe Bruce needed to focus solely on NIL at the time and even though the funds for the facility were donated or pledged, he just couldn't devote the time and attention needed to get the thing off the ground because the AU AD pretty much told him he needed to raise his own money for NIL for basketball. :dunno:

3 hours ago, KillenTime said:

Maybe the money was "pledged" at the time of the board meeting and not received yet.  I don't know.  Maybe they asked the Neville's to hold on to it and fund OTV with the interest proceeds from the pledged amount.  Or maybe the Athletic dept received the money and with inflation is holding off or trying to raise additional funds to get the design they really want instead of settling for something less post the major inflationary period.  Perhaps they had money pledged in addition to the Neville donation and decided to re-route those funds for NIL.  

2 hours ago, JerryAU said:

Maybe Bruce needed to focus solely on NIL at the time and even though the funds for the facility were donated or pledged, he just couldn't devote the time and attention needed to get the thing off the ground because the AU AD pretty much told him he needed to raise his own money for NIL for basketball. :dunno:

In other words, the public doesn't know why the facility hasn't been built.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mikey said:

In other words, the public doesn't know why the facility hasn't been built.

Other than it was approved by the board of trustees and Bruce publicly said we need to figure out NIL first when questioned about the timing of the project.  So the public knows financing and location have been approved by the University yet nothing has happened and Bruce appears to have delayed it based on his concerns over buying players versus luring them to campus with a brand new Basketball Only Facility.  NIL took precedence over the facility is my conclusion based on public knowledge. 

I don't think the details of the Neville donation were ever released. I recall it being a donation to the athletic dept. so it wouldn't be able to be used for NIL anyway. 

20 hours ago, JwgreDeux said:

I don't think the details of the Neville donation were ever released. I recall it being a donation to the athletic dept. so it wouldn't be able to be used for NIL anyway. 

Correct.  Unless it was pledged and not actually transferred.  If the cash is still in their hands then they can donate it elsewhere.