Pearl Interested in Coaching Carousel Candidacy per Matt Norlander?

Less than 50% chance?  Regardless, get the new basketball facility started already!

Bruce Pearl, Auburn

Parrish got to May first, so an acknowledgement right here that he makes a lot of sense and I do believe May will be among the 3-4 coaches at the top of Ohio State's list. In the interest of keeping this list varied and eclectic, I'll offer up Bruce Pearl for discussion. I recently traveled to Auburn and spent some one-on-one time with Pearl; he was willing to go on the record about his potential candidacy on the carousel this year. At 63, I believe that IF Pearl is going to take one more move, it will be this year or next. Likelihood? I'd go under 50% for this year as of March 6, but a lot changes in this month. Ohio State should put Pearl on its list of targets. He is built to build up programs and has coached winners (and made a Final Four) twice in the SEC. His force of personality is matched maybe — maybe — by five other coaches in the game. He's won big at a football-first institution before (Tennessee) and turned Auburn into a near-annual Top 25 program. So long as Ohio State's power brokers are good with having a big-name coach bringing in a lot of attention, Pearl's got the wins (670 of them) and charisma to inject a lot of hope into a top-25 job in the sport. -- Matt Norlander

I've raised this question about CBP maybe leaving Auburn before. There are several factors that I think CBP would consider. I don't think OSU has any of the attractive features. So, as for CBP to OSU, I think NOPE!

That's nonsense, but I suppose writers have to write something.

• Like 5

For the record, I wouldn't let this piece concern me for anyone casually viewing the thread. I believe this is Matt from the CBS and-1 show with Gary Parrish, and they're more of CBB analysts than reporters. Solid basketball coverage, but they're not "sources" type people 

I’d hate to see Bruce go but I believe Auburn, thanks to Bruce, would be in position to bring in a top coach to replace him.  The commitment is here like it’s never been before.  I tell you what I don’t want to see and that’s for something like this to become a distraction at tourney time.  

• Like 2

I don’t believe that Bruce would publicly go on record that he would be interested in a different job. That said, if he did do that, I suspect he is trying to get iron clad assurances that Steven would be named the head coach after Bruce steps down. 

This head coach in waiting scenario is complete nonsense.  This reminds me of Gene Bartow holding UAB hostage, so to speak, to have his son, Murry, named head coach after Gene retired. That didn’t work out well. 

I am extremely grateful for having Bruce as the head coach.  But Steven needs to prove himself outside of just being Bruce’s son. 

• Like 3

Bruce has done so much for Auburn. If he wants another job at a school that puts him in a better position to win NCs I wish him well except when he plays us, if it happens. I could NOT be bitter with Bruce, but it would suck. That said , Bruce stated multiple times he wants Auburn to be his legacy. I’m not buying Bruce is looking to leave. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, NCTiger1982 said:

Bruce has done so much for Auburn. If he wants another job at a school that puts him in a better position to win NCs I wish him well except when he plays us, if it happens. I could NOT be bitter with Bruce, but it would suck. That said , Bruce stated multiple times he wants Auburn to be his legacy. I’m not buying Bruce is looking to leave. 

There aren’t many schools where he’s in a significantly better position to do that. He can do it here.

• Like 1

This forum should rid itself of this click bait bull****.  And yes, I fell for it. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Win4AU said:

I’d hate to see Bruce go but I believe Auburn, thanks to Bruce, would be in position to bring in a top coach to replace him.  The commitment is here like it’s never been before.  I tell you what I don’t want to see and that’s for something like this to become a distraction at tourney time.  

I don’t think we would be in position.  Because of whatever the reasons are if cbp did leave 

cbp ain’t going anywhere 

that was a click bait article 

• Like 2

I think he is publicly going on record stating he would be interested in another job as leverage to get a Nike apparel contract.  I hope he succeeds because that is the most important piece of keeping this thing going post Bruce.  He won't leave Auburn to move to another Under Armor school, but I 100% believe he would leave to move to a Nike or Adidas school if we remain with Under Armor.   This program has peaked with Under Armor.  

35 minutes ago, KillenTime said:

I think he is publicly going on record stating he would be interested in another job as leverage to get a Nike apparel contract.  I hope he succeeds because that is the most important piece of keeping this thing going post Bruce.  He won't leave Auburn to move to another Under Armor school, but I 100% believe he would leave to move to a Nike or Adidas school if we remain with Under Armor.   This program has peaked with Under Armor.  

Hoping and praying we go with Nike. Ceiling would be a lot higher as far as recruiting. While Bruce has recruited well, I believe we have lost our on a few high profile recruits due to being with Under Armour. Adidas is kind of meh to me. Definitely second fiddle to Nike in the basketball world. And who can forget the hideous cummerbund uniforms made by Adidas that schools like Wisconsin, Louisville, and A & M wore about 10 years ago. No thanks.

20 years ago and maybe even 10 years ago, there could have been reason for concern.  Today, Bruce has no interest in handing what he has built to someone else and starting over. The crown isn't so heavy at Auburn that the King is ready to abdicate for the sake of marrying into a nearby kingdom.

BP will retire at Auburn … we should be more concerned about his replacement WHEN he leaves rather than him leaving.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, RunInRed said:

BP will retire at Auburn … we should be more concerned about his replacement WHEN he leaves rather than him leaving.

Would like to see Bucky McMillan go to Vandy and Steven Pearl get the Samford job to gain some HC experience locally. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, gr82be said:

Would like to see Bucky McMillan go to Vandy and Steven Pearl get the Samford job to gain some HC experience locally. 

That would be a GREAT hire for Vandy!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, arktiger1975 said:

That would be a GREAT hire for Vandy!

I think so too. I’m curious to see what he could do on a bigger stage. 

4 hours ago, gr82be said:

I have seen his name on a couple of lists already.   I refereed a lot of Bucky’s games at Mt Brook when he was a player and a coach.  He already had a college mentality early on.  He would trot 10 players out there that would give everything they had and play like their hair was on fire.  He also recruited well there so he was familiar with the process when he got to Samford. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, gr82be said:

I'm kind of glad bama extended Oats. I have thought about them possibly hiring Bucky if he left. Then they would have a coach who is barely 40 years old, and in my opinion, has a higher ceiling than Oats. He could easily go there and coach for 20 plus years at his age.

1 minute ago, arktiger1975 said:

I'm kind of glad bama extended Oats. I have thought about them possibly hiring Bucky if he left. Then they would have a coach who is barely 40 years old, and in my opinion, has a higher ceiling than Oats. He could easily go there and coach for 20 plus years at his age.

I think Oats is a perfect for Bama, his prick personality and their entitled attitudes are a match made in Hades. He’ll win enough to keep them satisfied but I don’t think he will do much more. I’d like to root for Bucky so no Bama will let me do so. 

• Like 1

On 3/10/2024 at 7:41 PM, Gr82batigr said:

Less than 50% chance?  Regardless, get the new basketball facility started already!

@Gr82batigr Things may have changed but the last thing I saw Bruce say is he's more interested in beefing up the Bball NIL than the BOF right now.