SEC HEAD COACH POWER RANKINGS

20240318-103246.jpg

I do NOT agree with this. What do you guys think?
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

It looks alright to me as of today.  It also looks like a LOT of coaches need to prove themselves in the SEC, and quick. 

• Like 1

Coach power rankings, lol.  Makes sense if you have a throw-down wrestling match before the game and the winner gets 3 points. In that case, my money's on Sam Pittman, and they have the rankings all wrong.  Otherwise, it's the kind of garbage you get when the football news is slow.

• Like 3

On its face I don't see anything glaringly offensive or wrong about this ranking except DeBoer is too high considering he hasn't actually done anything in the SEC yet. 

As for Hugh's rankings. As of today I don't think you could reasonably rank him much higher right now, other than maybe bumping Mike Elko down a few spots and moving Freeze to 10th.  

Freeze's biggest wins in year 1  have come on the recruiting trail. If he can get the wins on the field too then he'll start moving up these types of rankings. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, aubiefifty said:
20240318-103246.jpg

1st year SEC HC should not be above anyone

• Like 1

They have #1 correct.   After that, it’s debatable at best!   
Not sure Kelly should be #2

debose, not debear, at #3 is hilarious!

Kiffin and Stoops have done well at their respective schools given the ceilings at OM and KY.  
I think Sark is building something at TC
Heupel has been almost good.   
Drink had one good year, so far, ironically the Mizzou coach is in “Show Me” mode.  
No one else has done anything yet at this school.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, aubiefifty said:
20240318-103246.jpg

1-4 have been in a playoff, 5 & 7 put up good numbers at a school not known for them,  8 built a basketball school football program up to annual respectability, 9 hasn't proven anything yet. 10 is overrated, but I can't complain about Freeze. His biggest achievements are nearly a decade old and he got his clock cleaned at home by a conference USA also-ran. Overall, it's meaningless filler. Half this conference's coaches have a lot to prove. 

• Like 2

I don’t buy into any off-season power rankings. They are all pretty nonsensical. This one is very egregious though. I have no idea what the h*** they are basing their decisions on.  At no point were they even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this chat is now dumber for having read it. I award them no points, and my god have mercy on their soul.

I mean seriously… Two of the top five have not coached a game as an SEC head coach. I get that year one of freeze was unimpressive on the field. But he did it with no talent. We’ve made massive upgrades in talent this off-season. It looks like they haven’t paid attention to anything that’s happened since like mid-November. Seriously? For some of these newer coaches, they’ve given them complete credit for what they did outside of the SEC and ignored anything that they’ve done in the off-season. Yet they’ve done the opposite for some of the other coaches, including freeze.

No idea what the source was for this. But it is typical off-season speculation garbage. Look forward to seeing them proven wrong. 

7 hours ago, CoffeeTiger said:

On its face I don't see anything glaringly offensive or wrong about this ranking except DeBoer is too high considering he hasn't actually done anything in the SEC yet. 

As for Hugh's rankings. As of today I don't think you could reasonably rank him much higher right now, other than maybe bumping Mike Elko down a few spots and moving Freeze to 10th.  

Freeze's biggest wins in year 1  have come on the recruiting trail. If he can get the wins on the field too then he'll start moving up these types of rankings. 

My problem is that it is inconsistently applying criteria. If you want to talk about recruiting, Freeze had a better recruiting class than most of the coaches in front of him. If you want to talk about what coaches have done in the past, he has won more SEC games than most of the coaches in front of him. If’s like they only looked at coaching records last year with no other context and considering no other years. Really dumb way to estimate coach quality.

Case in point, Sark’s record prior to this year was 13-12 at Texas. It took Oklahoma taking a step back for them to have any relevance. 

Edited by ScotsAU

1 hour ago, ScotsAU said:

My problem is that it is inconsistently applying criteria. If you want to talk about recruiting, Freeze had a better recruiting class than most of the coaches in front of him. If you want to talk about what coaches have done in the past, he has won more SEC games than most of the coaches in front of him. If’s like they only looked at coaching records last year with no other context and considering no other years. Really dumb way to estimate coach quality.

Case in point, Sark’s record prior to this year was 13-12 at Texas. It took Oklahoma taking a step back for them to have any relevance. 

Agree there is some recency bias here. Sark and Eli are too high. 

But Freeze's SEC record is 45-32 (58% win percentage). Not that exciting.

His first recruiting class was #6 in the SEC which is a very good start.  

Also, you don't have to coach in the SEC to be a good coach. DeBoer was phenomenal at Washington. I don't like it but these are the facts. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, cbo said:

Also, you don't have to coach in the SEC to be a good coach. DeBoer was phenomenal at Washington. I don't like it but these are the facts. 

Agreed.   The comparisons to the potato head are just wishful thinking.  “debose” is not potato head, but he ain’t DeBear either!   I’m not sure how it’s going to work out at bama following the 🐐, but I like our chances now more than I did in December.  

• Like 3

Surprised Freeze is ranked as high . Does anyone fear him as coach?

Freeze has resources but doesn’t know how or what to do with them.

DeBoer has Saban as head assistant coach and the resources to do whatever he needs. No way he will fail, and will be very successful. 

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

17 hours ago, Hank2020 said:

1st year SEC HC should not be above anyone

So put Debore, Sark, Elko, Venables, Lebby at the bottom and Lea, Pittman, Freeze, Napier at the top?  😉

• Haha 1

In the right context that list is pretty fair. The SEC is tough but it’s not like the Pac 12 and big 12 were playing complete nobodies. I’d probably flip Drinkwitz and Heupel personally 

Edited by Sizzle
  • Like 2

On 3/19/2024 at 11:05 AM, bigbird said:

So a coach that's never coached in the South or SEC is 3?  

Seems like the Bracket committee made this list too

He's won big everywhere he has been, including getting Washington to the Natty game, so it's a fair rating for now, especially when you look at 4-16, all of whom have flaws.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, ellitor said:

He's won big everywhere he has been, including getting Washington to the Natty game, so it's a fair rating for now, especially when you look at 4-16, all of whom have flaws.

I don't rank on potential. 

18 hours ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

Agreed.   The comparisons to the potato head are just wishful thinking.  “debose” is not potato head, but he ain’t DeBear either!   I’m not sure how it’s going to work out at bama following the 🐐, but I like our chances now more than I did in December.  

Bama's coach coached in the panziest league for defense you could imagine.

I am very anxious to see how his offense does in The Best League in college football week in and week out. I'm betting it will be a different story.  Definitely not as easy to accumulate offensive stats.

21 hours ago, ScotsAU said:

Two of the top five have not coached a game as an SEC head coach.

At least Sark did beat Bama. It’s a start but not much more than that. 

39 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I don't rank on potential. 

Since he got to a Natty at Washington, by beating Texas in the process, it's more than just potential.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, JerryAU said:

So put Debore, Sark, Elko, Venables, Lebby at the bottom and Lea, Pittman, Freeze, Napier at the top?  😉

If you think Sark (his league is equivalent to SEC, I dont. Elko (his HC experience at Duke?), I don’t. Definitely not Lebby ( he hasn’t been a HC at all. Venables same as Sark. Thats my logic.

4 hours ago, ellitor said:

Since he got to a Natty at Washington, by beating Texas in the process, it's more than just potential.

Until he coaches a season in the SEC and has to survive week in and out, it's nothing but potential.  Winning the pacX is not impressive and having extra time to game plan for an opponent is something he won't have the luxury of now 

8 hours ago, Sizzle said:

In the right context that list is pretty fair. The SEC is tough but it’s not like the Pac 12 and big 12 were playing complete nobodies. I’d probably flip Drinkwitz and Heupel personally 

PAC 12 had some quality teams and serious QB play. What Deboer did at Washington was amazing. Always been a fan of his. Not sure he will win as much as Saban (that may not happen for a long time), but he will certainly be successful at Bama. The SEC was not as elite as most years last year IMO. 

• Like 5

36 minutes ago, DAG said:

PAC 12 had some quality teams and serious QB play. What Deboer did at Washington was amazing. Always been a fan of his. Not sure he will win as much as Saban (that may not happen for a long time), but he will certainly be successful at Bama. The SEC was not as elite as most years last year IMO. 

Exactly right. We all know the SEC is the best conference, but that doesn't diminish what Deboer did. He just keeps winning every game in front of him. Anyone that disagrees can look up his HC record.

The guy went 11-2 in his first season at Washington, a program not known for football excellency. Next season was 14-1, beating the #3 team in the playoffs (a team that beat Bama) and only losing in the championship game. 

All this could change next season but of course he's considered elite now. 

Deboer's #1 problem is that he won't be as good as Saban and the goofy Bama fanbase will come after him. And that will be funny to watch. 

• Like 2

On 3/19/2024 at 8:57 AM, aubiefifty said:
20240318-103246.jpg

I think *clicks*

• Like 1