NCAA Tournament Thread (Non-Auburn Games)

7 minutes ago, autigeremt said:

I’m guessing we improve in football over the next two years and we get to see a much better program. 

I don't see it. Hope I'm wrong!

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

But we won the Sec tournament. It just means more [yellow font]. I can’t help but feel how excited I would be for Auburn to be in the final four tonight.

No one cares about the sec . Yeah at the time it was great but the other schools (Tenn, uat ) got ready for the real deal. Auburn whined and complained the whole way to Spokane and then all the way back.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Reppin Florence and Northwest Alabama. The area nobody recruits has a PG in the final four. Wow.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

12 minutes ago, E'Town4Bama said:

I just hope Bama doesn't lose by more than 15. For a football school, not bad this year and last year they were better.

At this point they are playing with house many. UConn is probably the overwhelming favorite after steamrolling everyone. If the game is close all the pressure is on UConn

30 minutes ago, E'Town4Bama said:

UCONN will pound us but glad to get there.

Your team made the final 4 and you posted to an AU board within 5 minutes?

I'm not saying that's bad but I am saying that's weird. 

• Like 2

UConn teams construction is damn near perfect. 

They play like what I wished we had played like when we had okeke. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, cbo said:

Your team made the final 4 and you posted to an AU board within 5 minutes?

I'm not saying that's bad but I am saying that's weird. 

I do have 1435 posts on this site. I am not a stranger.............

19 minutes ago, E'Town4Bama said:

Even weirder. 

• Haha 3

55 minutes ago, TigerOne said:

No one cares about the sec . Yeah at the time it was great but the other schools (Tenn, uat ) got ready for the real deal. Auburn whined and complained the whole way to Spokane and then all the way back.

I wholeheartedly agree.

43 minutes ago, cole256 said:

UConn teams construction is damn near perfect. 

They play like what I wished we had played like when we had okeke. 

I just don't see anyone beating them. A 30-0 run?

• Like 1

Welp looks like the preseason rankings were pretty close for the SEC outside of Kentucky laying an egg. I still don’t get the easy path reference . Pretty sure every team Bama played would beat Yale. Besides they could have easily folded under pressure and lost

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, DAG said:

I just don't see anyone beating them. A 30-0 run?

I don't either, they have it all. Size, depth, 3 point shooting, inside scoring, defense. I'm nervous and excited as far as Mark playing against them.  

If he goes crazy, maybe he goes to the league? Amazing to go from his start to this.

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I don't either, they have it all. Size, depth, 3 point shooting, inside scoring, defense. I'm nervous and excited as far as Mark playing against them.  

If he goes crazy, maybe he goes to the league? Amazing to go from his start to this.

UConn is special. 

But it's not rare for a team that looks like an all-time great to lose a game they shouldn't. We will see. 

2 hours ago, cole256 said:

Two things I'm proud of this game. One we used to fuss at Mark all the time for being too quiet and even when the game was won he was reigning his guys in and communicating. 

And you would have to know him but he wouldn't shoot 3s when he was younger, and the way he started didn't put his head down, didn't hesitate, didn't freeze up. Let the first half be the first half second half you would have thought he didn't miss a shot the first half.  

Most points in a season?? Teared up a little bit. He's been told he's not good enough for so long....I hope he thinks about what he accomplished

I may have to go to the final 4 to get the experience.

You should go if able.  You've been supporting Mark in here since freshman in high school.  Happy for you in this moment.  

2 hours ago, E'Town4Bama said:

I know. Just messing with you. Enjoy your good teams. 

6 hours ago, TigerOne said:

Whining and complaining about our fans having to travel 2500 to spokane after team we crazy supported all season won major conf tourn was...is...legit. 

Thing about all sports boards, most people havent coached 20 year olds in high stakes and dont understand the power of them putting together their best ball (cough cough Yale cough cough) against 20 year olds with the periodic blahs (they aint pros) . You just hope it doesnt happen to your team when it counts. Give Yale credit for that day against us. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, CCTAU said:

It’s official. You get to choose AU’s next PG. 

Sears with what seems like 10 clutch threes!

Find us another one of him!

If anything I hope everybody can see, we have talent in the state, we just have to work and get out there and scout and recruit guys. 

And I hope we understand how important it is to hit on the PG. You can't have too many.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Mike4AU said:

I will just leave this here…

image.thumb.jpeg.84acb99077a93603aaabed8bf131e4ad.jpeg

Do you think we’d be in the Final Four right now if we’d only had bama’s path to get there?

Bruce put AU basketball on the map. Bruce has been very good for AU. No question. All of that said does not mean that he doesn’t deserve some criticism. For example, while I will not name names, but our guard play for several years has not been good. We have not had any alpha dog guards.  

Just now, PigskinPat said:

Do you think we’d be in the Final Four right now if we’d only had bama’s path to get there?

Not with Bruce continuing his NCAA choking. 

• Like 1

No sense getting off into the conspiratorial weeds re: the selection committee.  Would a different match-up and bracket made a difference? Maybe, maybe not. We'll never know. We earned our misery by defecating on ourselves against Yale, and if we are the (recently) basketball-savvy fanbase we think we are, then that loss put a huge damper on the season, right, wrong or indifferent. Football schools console themselves with hoops conference tournament titles and NCAA tournament underperformance.

We hold our 2019 group in such high regard for their great NCAA tournament run, not for winning the SEC tournament. Anyone stating otherwise is deluding themselves.

Where I think the slow (or not-so-slow) burn is happening for some of us is the combination of our pratfall combined with our archrival's run to a Final Four. I'd be lying if I said that watching this unfold has been fun, because it most assuredly has not been fun. Their success is not good for us, no more than our 2019 run was good for them (although from their standpoint, they fired Avery Johnson and hired Oats after our FF appearance, so maybe indirectly it was...).

To give another beating to this dead horse: If the last 2-3 seasons haven't made it crystal clear that we need true difference-makers in the backcourt, then nothing will.

At this point, regarding this aggravation of an NCAA tournament, a UConn-Purdue championship game would be interesting to watch...which probably means we'll get Alabama-Tennessee. :dead:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cole256 said:

If anything I hope everybody can see, we have talent in the state, we just have to work and get out there and scout and recruit guys. 

And I hope we understand how important it is to hit on the PG. You can't have too many.

Question….but hasn’t AU gone after that guy?  Cooper, Holloway and now Pettiford.   Although, I just read that he may play the 2 more next year.   Throw in Isaac, Herron and Powell, and Bruce has recruited 1 and 2 guys, the problem is keeping them.   
Sears is what, a fourth or fifth year player.   If Auburn went after that player, fans would be screaming, why did we sign that guy.   He has developed his game over time and is now playing with such confidence that he is hard to stop.   Plus he’s playing in a system that allows players to play the way most want to play, shoot and get up and down the court.     Give Oats credit, the man can recruit shooters.    

I hate to do it but bama desrves some kudos. They beat some solid teams and they worked very hard to get where they are. It is a team with defeciencies but has so far found a way to overcome those deficienses. I think having a great PG is why they are where they are.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

Question….but hasn’t AU gone after that guy?  Cooper, Holloway and now Pettiford.   Although, I just read that he may play the 2 more next year.   Throw in Isaac, Herron and Powell, and Bruce has recruited 1 and 2 guys, the problem is keeping them.   
Sears is what, a fourth or fifth year player.   If Auburn went after that player, fans would be screaming, why did we sign that guy.   He has developed his game over time and is now playing with such confidence that he is hard to stop.   Plus he’s playing in a system that allows players to play the way most want to play, shoot and get up and down the court.     Give Oats credit, the man can recruit shooters.    

This is one if the most off base posts I've seen in a long time.