Official A-Day Thread

1 minute ago, ScotsAU said:

Brown probably is not going to start. Freeze basically has said in multiple interviews that Thorne has separated himself from the others. His numbers were the best of the QBs today. Whilr things could change between now and fall, at the moment the order is clearly 1 Thorne, 2/3 Brown/Holden, 4 White.

Would love for you to reply to my comment above though. I was frustrated with Thorne last year like everyone. But he looked hands down the best of the bunch today, which coincides with what most of the insiders have been saying through camp. 

IMO, Thorne holds the ball too long and the pocket collapses around him. It doesn't show up on a completion percentage because he doesn't throw it. The line did no QB a favor today but in my opinion Thorne still looks shell shocked to me. It looks like the game comes at him too fast and he freezes up.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RunInRed said:

Does this kid seriously think it’s “Aurburn”? I saw recruit’s tweet earlier where it was spelled “Aurburn” too but figured it was a typo. If not I’d revoke the scholly immediately.

• Haha 1

Oh my gosh I was right. I’m serious I’d pull the scholly. Just out of shock that a person could genuinely believe that.

Like would bring a sailor on board that thinks he’s gonna be out on the “Specific Ocean”. 

IMG_9405.thumb.jpeg.9062f76d48ba83e0247d87d780214678.jpeg

• Facepalm 1

7 minutes ago, Chaotic_zx said:

IMO, Thorne holds the ball too long and the pocket collapses around him. It doesn't show up on a completion percentage because he doesn't throw it. The line did no QB a favor today but in my opinion Thorne still looks shell shocked to me. It looks like the game comes at him too fast and he freezes up.

Last year, 100% agree. I’m actually watching someone break down the a day film as we speak. He did not play like that today at all. There was one play where the throw was a little late, and it was the first throw of the game. Other than that, he played very loose, and threw the ball right when it needed to be released. 
No idea if it’s maturity or better trust in the receivers. But Thorne did none of the stuff that held him back last year in the game today. So what did you see at A Day specifically?

Edited by ScotsAU
  • Like 3

I’m encouraged by the receiving room and its improvement. Lewis could get a lot of targets given Cam will get a lot of attention from the defense 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ScotsAU said:

Brown probably is not going to start. Freeze basically has said in multiple interviews that Thorne has separated himself from the others. His numbers were the best of the QBs today. Whilr things could change between now and fall, at the moment the order is clearly 1 Thorne, 2/3 Brown/Holden, 4 White.

Would love for you to reply to my comment above though. I was frustrated with Thorne last year like everyone. But he looked hands down the best of the bunch today, which coincides with what most of the insiders have been saying through camp. So please, by all means let me know what you saw out of Brown versus Thorne that has them in this order in your mind. Like, was it just the deep pass to Coleman? Other than that, Brown’s numbers were 4-12 for 53 yards. 

What I see is Thorne throws ugly passes coming out of the gate. Hank overthrows Cam, making him dive for a pass that should have been a TD. Hank had no pressure and Cam was wide open. We need a QB that matches the talent of our new WRs. We don't have that. 

No one is commenting on Camden Brown’s performance. He had several non-drops yesterday.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Swamp Eagle said:

No one is commenting on Camden Brown’s performance. He had several non-drops yesterday.

^^^This^^^

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ScotsAU said:

Last year, 100% agree. I’m actually watching someone break down the a day film as we speak. He did not play like that today at all. There was one play where the throw was a little late, and it was the first throw of the game. Other than that, he played very loose, and threw the ball right when it needed to be released. 
No idea if it’s maturity or better trust in the receivers. But Thorne did none of the stuff that held him back last year in the game today. So what did you see at A Day specifically?

I think Thorne looked decent, but the TD could have easily been intercepted if the DB was playing the ball.

It can be jaw dropping and thrilling to watch high-level talent play, i.e. Cam. We just need this level of skills spread throughout, and it wouldn't hurt to have some depth with talent. 😅 Honestly, that's the level our rivals are playing at and we chronically compete against. I am thrilled to see fun football come back to the Plains. 

We have two All-SEC kickers. Need to give Towns McGough a scholly soon. We need to redshirt him this year, and keep him around to back up and succeed McPherson.

1 hour ago, maryland tiger said:

^^^This^^^

Cam Brown physically looked like Larry Fitzgerald out there.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, AUght2win said:

Does this kid seriously think it’s “Aurburn”? I saw recruit’s tweet earlier where it was spelled “Aurburn” too but figured it was a typo. If not I’d revoke the scholly immediately.

I think y’all need to get a life!! Give these kids a break!!

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, AUght2win said:

Oh my gosh I was right. I’m serious I’d pull the scholly. Just out of shock that a person could genuinely believe that.

Like would bring a sailor on board that thinks he’s gonna be out on the “Specific Ocean”. 

Glad your not on the scholarship council!!

40 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

I think y’all need to get a life!! Give these kids a break!!

No. That’s SO stupid. It’s written literally everywhere.

16 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

True, it does seem like he would notice how to spell it correctly . I would bet it will dawn on him at some point , if yall don’t rescind the offer of course.

39 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

17 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

True, it does seem like he would notice how to spell it correctly . I would bet it will dawn on him at some point , if yall don’t rescind the offer of course.

Welcome to the AhhBro'n family forums.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, AUght2win said:

I'm not weighing in one way or another. I feel those critical are doing so in jest. I would like to point out however, Ronnie Brown pronounces Auburn just like that on the broadcasts. I haven't taken issue with that.

I came on here and read some of the negative comments before I got to watch the game, so with that said, my take:

Overall, I thought it was a pretty good day.   Passing game looked a lot better.  WR room is different!   Cam Brown has stepped up.  Several newcomers will be huge!!!  Cam will leave here in 3 years as a first rounder and one of our best WR ever!   I can’t wait until Perry gets out there with them!  And we would be extremely pumped about Malcolm in any normal year!

My Hot Take:   Hunter is the 3rd best RB on the team.  
I’m not worried about the run game and OL concerns from A Day that others shared.  The purpose of Spring was to get the passing game improved.  Not many reps for run game.   That will come together in time.  Also, there were some blitzes called. I wasn’t expecting that at A Day.   
The D was flying around and making plays.  Also, the interior DL may not be as bad as I originally thought.  Given the issues I addressed with OL, I’m not going to get excited just yet, but they seem to be at least a little bit better than I thought at this point.    

We’re a long way from a championship caliber team, but things are moving in the right direction!   War Eagle!!!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, AUght2win said:

have you not heard some of our coaches/ players / fans pronounce the word Auburn as  "AuRburn".       1/3 of them don't even pronounce it correctly.   

4 hours ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

have you not heard some of our coaches/ players / fans pronounce the word Auburn as  "AuRburn".       1/3 of them don't even pronounce it correctly.   

Reminds me of riding the train from Atlanta to Auburn back in the 60s.  The conductor would call out: Lay Grange, West Pint and then Aurburn. 

• Haha 4