Official A-Day Thread

2 hours ago, Potatooooooes!! said:

I had to quit watching after the first Thorne to Coleman completion. And I saw a pass from Hank Brown. How did the QBs look the rest of the game?

Thorne: Didn’t make any jaw dropping plays. But did what Freeze has been wanting him to do from the start… play within the system. He made no bad reads and had no turnovers. Went 9-13 I think, but one of the incompletions came on a play that should’ve been called interference where he was probably going to connect with Coleman. 10-13 for 130 yards is pretty good numbers. He also had the lone TD pass. 

Brown: Had a few jaw dropping plays, including a bomb to Cam Coleman for like 50 yards. But played a bit inconsistently. Ended like 5-12 for just over 100 yards. 

Holden: He actually had a good completion percentage. But it’s because he kept hitting check downs. He also had the least yards of any of the QBs today. I’m going to guess he’s probably about to transfer. 7-10 for 46 yards. 

White: Showed some similarity to brown in that he was inconsistent, and had similar numbers. He had some pretty passes and then some that were not so good. I think he was like 5-13 for 85 yards. 

Thorne is clearly QB 1. He’s got a lower ceiling than some of the other guys. But Hugh has said that he’s taken steps forward this spring. It showed today. He was hands down the most consistent guy. Brown and White both have potential, but need to find more comfort/ consistency. Holden should transfer. I think he’s just not suited for this offensive system. He’d be better off somewhere that runs something more pro style.

Edited by ScotsAU
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ScotsAU said:

Thorne: Didn’t make any jaw dropping plays. But did what Freeze has been wanting him to do from the start… play within the system. He made no bad reads and had no turnovers. Went 9-13 I think, but one of the incompletions came on a play that should’ve been called interference where he was probably going to connect with Coleman. 10-13 for 130 yards is pretty good numbers. He also had the lone TD pass. 

Brown: Had a few jaw dropping plays, including a bomb to Cam Coleman for like 50 yards. But played a bit inconsistently. Ended like 5-12 for just over 100 yards. 

Holden: He actually had a good completion percentage. But it’s because he kept hitting check downs. He also had the least yards of any of the QBs today. I’m going to guess he’s probably about to transfer. 7-10 for 46 yards. 

White: Showed some similarity to brown in that he was inconsistent, and had similar numbers. He had some pretty passes and then some that were not so good. I think he was like 5-13 for 85 yards. 

Thorne is clearly QB 1. He’s got a lower ceiling than some of the other guys. But Hugh has said that he’s taken steps forward this spring. It showed today. He was hands down the most consistent guy. Brown and White both have potential, but need to find more comfort/ consistency. Holden should transfer. I think he’s just not suited for this offensive system. He’d be better off somewhere that runs something more pro style.

Thanks for the assessment. I have drawn an early conclusion on WW, unfortunately, because I simply don’t believe in small school QB’s from Arky and I have zero faith in HF coaching anybody up at this point. No, I didn’t get to watch today, but sounds like I saved myself some putrid time spent watching another HF team. Yes, I never wanted or believed in HF and until he is able to produce, I’ll stand by it. Secondly, I have serious questions about our AD, whom was about to be fired/released from Miss St. 

• Facepalm 6
  • Sad 1
  • Dislike 2

21 minutes ago, ScotsAU said:

That's an awesome recap. Thanks so much!

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Old fan 47 said:

Thanks for the assessment. I have drawn an early conclusion on WW, unfortunately, because I simply don’t believe in small school QB’s from Arky and I have zero faith in HF coaching anybody up at this point. No, I didn’t get to watch today, but sounds like I saved myself some putrid time spent watching another HF team. Yes, I never wanted or believed in HF and until he is able to produce, I’ll stand by it. Secondly, I have serious questions about our AD, whom was about to be fired/released from Miss St. 

I think you said about the same thing before (or someone else did). I think we got it.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Potatooooooes!! said:

That's an awesome recap. Thanks so much!

Great recap I agree.

Never tried to read anything into an A day game. Dog and pony show for the fans that care to enjoy a fun day in Auburn. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Old fan 47 said:

Wow.  Do you even like Auburn?

• Like 7

Before I looked at the pic in the tweet, I thought that was just a new meme for Hugh Freeze football. Ha, ha. Auburn football under Freeze so far is like ...

image.png.59a2d054004e503556cfd8549e2af271.png

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

So our QB sitch is fixed!!?

Sweet! Damn, I was worried….

You’re not excited that Thorne looks a little better than last year and is clearly QB1!? 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, cbo said:

You’re not excited that Thorne looks a little better than last year and is clearly QB1!? 

I would be excited about that, but I keep getting reminded that spring games don’t matter.  

Because Cam.

Clearly.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Tiger Refuge said:

I would be excited about that, but I keep getting reminded that spring games don’t matter.  

Because Cam.

Clearly.

I still think we add a transfer QB. Salter makes the most sense. Better late than never, I guess. 

Coleman will help any QB. But he can only do so much. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

4 minutes ago, cbo said:

I still think we add a transfer QB. Salter makes the most sense. Better late than never, I guess. 

Coleman will help any QB. But he can only do so much. 

I’m letting my sarcastic side pilot tonight. Apologies.

I just hope there is a firm plan. And that it’s executed.

Im just really tired of assuming….and I’ll leave it at that.

ETA….You dang right on Coleman.

Edited by Tiger Refuge
  • Like 1

The uphill climb continues. Hopefully Cam doesn’t transfer and CHF takes a big step forward in his ability to coach 

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

He was a special kicker at AHS. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RunInRed said:

IMG_2896.jpeg

Yes Cam Coleman is huge … but … look at Perry to his left.  

• Like 2
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, MCPeePants said:

Wow.  Do you even like Auburn?

Lol! Really? He's just giving his honest take. Chill, fellas. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The one thing I took from this A-Day was... at least it wasn't as bad as last year's A-Day.

And that may not be fair because of the weather, but it was miles ahead.

To those of you that didn’t think Thorne played well, can I ask why? And I mean like a real reason. Not just “trust me bro.” He went 9-13. Two of the misses were timing routes. One of them I believe was a drop. The last one actually should’ve been pass interference. In addition to that, he threw at least 3 great passes, most notably a deep ball to Lewis. So, those of you critiquing his performance today, can you please explain. What more did you want to see that you didn’t see?

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Zeek said:

Not a lot to judge off but honest to God I think Hank Brown is our best QB

Just my opinion:

Hank Brown is absolutely the best QB on roster. I am starting to get frustrated that he won't be the starter.

Holden Geriner throws a good ball but follows it up with a poorly placed one. I think he is likely the third best QB on roster. It could be that he diagnosing the plays slowly. He seems to lock onto one WR. Maybe just a one read type of QB. 

Peyton still holds on to the ball too long. He is likely tied for third best QB on roster. He has been shell shocked and doesn't seem to be able to recover from it. Maybe he always held on to the ball too long.

Walker White does have talent. He threw to multiple WRs. When the game slows down for him, he will be good.

9 minutes ago, Chaotic_zx said:

Just my opinion:

Hank Brown is absolutely the best QB on roster. I am starting to get frustrated that he won't be the starter.

Holden Geriner throws a good ball but follows it up with a poorly placed one. I think he is likely the third best QB on roster. It could be that he diagnosing the plays slowly. He seems to lock onto one WR. Maybe just a one read type of QB. 

Peyton still holds on to the ball too long. He is likely tied for third best QB on roster. He has been shell shocked and doesn't seem to be able to recover from it. Maybe he always held on to the ball too long.

Walker White does have talent. He threw to multiple WRs. When the game slows down for him, he will be good.

Brown probably is not going to start. Freeze basically has said in multiple interviews that Thorne has separated himself from the others. His numbers were the best of the QBs today. Whilr things could change between now and fall, at the moment the order is clearly 1 Thorne, 2/3 Brown/Holden, 4 White.

Would love for you to reply to my comment above though. I was frustrated with Thorne last year like everyone. But he looked hands down the best of the bunch today, which coincides with what most of the insiders have been saying through camp. So please, by all means let me know what you saw out of Brown versus Thorne that has them in this order in your mind. Like, was it just the deep pass to Coleman? Other than that, Brown’s numbers were 4-12 for 53 yards. 

Edited by ScotsAU
  • Like 1