Official A-Day Thread

20 hours ago, ScotsAU said:

To those of you that didn’t think Thorne played well, can I ask why? And I mean like a real reason. Not just “trust me bro.” He went 9-13. Two of the misses were timing routes. One of them I believe was a drop. The last one actually should’ve been pass interference. In addition to that, he threw at least 3 great passes, most notably a deep ball to Lewis. So, those of you critiquing his performance today, can you please explain. What more did you want to see that you didn’t see?

I think he played well. I'd say since we were running simple stuff, I'd hope Thorne had looked like a clear-cut #1 over the others. It's just A-Day but even with that, he didn't appear to be a clear-cut #1 as indicated from spring. However, at this point, I've come to grips that Throne is what he is.

I think Hank matched his play and has a higher upside. Seems like Hank is more of a gamer than someone who's going to look great in practice. My hope is that we can have two decent QBs that can get us to hopefully 8 wins and we use that to get better QB talent going forward. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Auburn93 said:

What I see is Thorne throws ugly passes coming out of the gate. Hank overthrows Cam, making him dive for a pass that should have been a TD. Hank had no pressure and Cam was wide open. We need a QB that matches the talent of our new WRs. We don't have that. 

I'd rather an overthrown than an underthrown ball that gives a DB a better chance to intercept it. I agree that we don't have a QB that matches our WR talent.  

I watched NC State's spring game and yeah....why were we not able to get Grayson second time around?

• Like 1

22 hours ago, ScotsAU said:

To those of you that didn’t think Thorne played well, can I ask why? And I mean like a real reason. Not just “trust me bro.” He went 9-13. Two of the misses were timing routes. One of them I believe was a drop. The last one actually should’ve been pass interference. In addition to that, he threw at least 3 great passes, most notably a deep ball to Lewis. So, those of you critiquing his performance today, can you please explain. What more did you want to see that you didn’t see?

There's a reasonable argument to be had about how much the spring game shows. But typically you put your returning QB1 in a position to succeed. So he looks better than he is more often that worse than he is. He should be very comfortable in a scrimmage where he can't get hit. 

Thorne is still holding the ball too long, he's still inaccurate (even throwing to the flat), still has no zip on the ball, still makes questionable decisions. He didn't throw one decent deep ball. His TD pass to Coleman was a bad pass that should have been intercepted. 

I truly hope Thorne improves this season, but it's foolish to expect it. 

Here's every Thorne dropback from the spring game. Which throw excites you?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 2

Just want to share a Monday morning story concerning an A-Day experience. Many years ago I went to an A-Day game where we were supposed to have this hot shot QB. He was awful and I left thinking if he is the best QB we have we are in big trouble. His name....Pat Sullivan. The rest is history.
  • Like 4

14 hours ago, cbo said:

There's a reasonable argument to be had about how much the spring game shows. But typically you put your returning QB1 in a position to succeed. So he looks better than he is more often that worse than he is. He should be very comfortable in a scrimmage where he can't get hit. 

Thorne is still holding the ball too long, he's still inaccurate (even throwing to the flat), still has no zip on the ball, still makes questionable decisions. He didn't throw one decent deep ball. His TD pass to Coleman was a bad pass that should have been intercepted. 

Spot on.

I’m in the “prove it” era with PT.  I’m not going to be gaslit to think that spring performance was any good. We should not be struggling to move the ball in a freakin spring game. 

• Like 7

5 hours ago, Son of A Tiger said:

Just want to share a Monday morning story concerning an A-Day experience. Many years ago I went to an A-Day game where we were supposed to have this hot shot QB. He was awful and I left thinking if he is the best QB we have we are in big trouble. His name....Pat Sullivan. The rest is history.

Obviously…

• Love 1

One thing I did not hear about that’s been our bugaboo for a few years, dropped passes. Sounds like that was not a thing during the spring game. That’s very encouraging. I have zero worries about the run game, none! I liked the look of the young and inexperienced defensive line and the hustle. My overall thoughts are encouraged but tempered. War 🦅! Happy summer!!!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, cbo said:

wow thanks for this. I didn't get a chance to see the whole game.

• Like 1

Right now this year feels like 2016–which for coach’s second year would totally suffice.

I am all for CHF but this process seems so backwards. Instead of fixing the inaccuracy at the qb position u bring in playmakers in hopes of masking that deficiency. Why not bring in an accurate qb or have an accurate qb and playmaker's.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, e808 said:

I am all for CHF but this process seems so backwards. Instead of fixing the inaccuracy at the qb position u bring in playmakers in hopes of masking that deficiency. Why not bring in an accurate qb or have an accurate qb and playmaker's.

Who you got in mind?

8 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

Who you got in mind?

I think that window has closed on fixing that.  My little two cents I think Holden transfers. I think  it will be PT, HB , WW and Cal transfer or PT , second window portal QB, HB and WW.

1 hour ago, e808 said:

I think that window has closed on fixing that.  My little two cents I think Holden transfers. I think  it will be PT, HB , WW and Cal transfer or PT , second window portal QB, HB and WW.

My point is, I didn’t see an obvious option who was particularly accurate. I think Freeze was interested in a QB if one looked obviously better.

• Like 1

The funny thing is he has tried to bring in somebody and the Auburn degree/credit thing strikes again. 

• Like 3

Let’s say we NEED a transfer QB after this year. Does Gus’s buyout period finally being over at the end of 2024 mean that we’ll be able to drop a more of a bag if need be?

Edited by AUwent

1 hour ago, AUwent said:

Let’s say we NEED a transfer QB after this year. Does Gus’s buyout period finally being over at the end of 2024 mean that we’ll be able to drop a more of a bag if need be?

No

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AUwent said:

No that money is different then NIL money.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, AUwent said:

NIL money cannot come from the school. It has to come from private donations outside of the school. Coach's buyouts do come from the school. You are talking two different sources of funds.

Again, I still don’t understand why beat writers/pundits (Hoke and Bud Elliott of On3) are saying next year is the year if we only are going to return nine starters. Can someone explain?

Edited by AUwent
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Again, I still don’t understand why beat writers/pundits (Hoke and Bud Elliott of On3) are saying next year is the year if we only are going to return nine starters. Can someone explain?

Because if they say this year is the year readers will remember it and poke fun at them. They can keep on saying next year until hell freezes over, no-one will remember and they can appear to be optimists.

• Like 2

On 4/8/2024 at 1:17 PM, passthebiscuits said:

Spot on.

I’m in the “prove it” era with PT.  I’m not going to be gaslit to think that spring performance was any good. We should not be struggling to move the ball in a freakin spring game. 

If our offensive woes continue this year you can say goodbye to Cam Coleman.  Why would he stick around?

10 hours ago, Mikey said:

Because if they say this year is the year readers will remember it and poke fun at them. They can keep on saying next year until hell freezes over, no-one will remember and they can appear to be optimists.

Like the sign at my favorite Pub.... FREE BEER TOMORROW! 

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, AUwent said:

I believe that would mean that the people we recruited and got through the portal have a higher upside than the veterans they will be replacing. Assuming most of them stay. I understand why some of us are having trouble visualizing what happens at uat and uga every year. It's been a long minute since AU was in this situation. 

15 hours ago, Mikey said:

NIL money cannot come from the school. It has to come from private donations outside of the school. Coach's buyouts do come from the school. You are talking two different sources of funds.

Maybe, I was more asking those who share that view to explain why.

18 minutes ago, JuscAUse! said:

I believe that would mean that the people we recruited and got through the portal have a higher upside than the veterans they will be replacing. Assuming most of them stay. I understand why some of us are having trouble visualizing what happens at uat and uga every year. It's been a long minute since AU was in this situation. 

Oh yeah we should definitely be more talented with each passing year, but plenty of very talented AU recruiting classes started out slow (2007 and 2011 for instance).

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Maybe, I was more asking those who share that view to explain why.

Oh yeah we should definitely be more talented with each passing year, but plenty of very talented AU recruiting classes started out slow (2007 and 2011 for instance).

We just had the A Day game. I'm not gonna get a head start worrying about the season after the season that doesn't kick off for 5 months or so. 

Heck, at my age , I don't buy green bananas. 

• Like 1