Best Fit for the Sugar Bowl

DCTiger

Baton Rouge? I wouldn't complain. Really won't be the same but it would still be in La. Would they be able to handle it? I would think so, but it would be alot more traffic/hotel guests than a regular lsu game even if lsu makes it.

Are there any other reasonable La. choices?

I picked Houston...the city has handled large-scale events recently (SB XXXVIII) and the stadium is top-notch.

Just FYI, the Rose Bowl moved to NC during extremely extenuating circumstances for a one-time gig. The Sugar Bowl could withstand a temporary move. What complicates things is the impending destruction of the Superdome...New Orleans isn't going to have a facility capable of hosting after it is taken down.

There are no other reasonable alternatives to Baton Rouge in Louisiana...the Indy Bowl has its own game just days beforehand and practice time/field availability would be a huge issue with essentially four teams in town at the same time.

With LSU's new additions Tiger Stadium would be an awesome place for the Sugar Bowl. Besides the Sugar Bowl is the only BCS bowl game that is held indoors, might as well join the pack and move it outside :D .

Baton Rouge is about to explode with all the people moving here. Just last week 95% of the houses on the market sold....many for 10-20K over asking price. Many people are not going back to New Orleans....

A couple of things in Baton Rouge's favor is (A) location and ( B) it is not a bowl host, so there wouldn't be any scheduling conflicts.

A huge downside is that while the stadium itself is big enough, you have to account for their recent influx of evacuees and the resultant paucity of hotels and other places to stay. If LSU isn't playing in the game, you're going to be beset with many more out-of-town guests than normally show for an LSU game.

I know the Texans don't have a home game on 1/1/06...but, as I mentioned for Shreveport, Houston has its own bowl game a few days before, too.

There isn't a clear-cut decision here.

Mobile, eh, probably too small a stadium.

Odd man out here. I went with DC. The city is better equipped to handle the crowds (hotels, etc) and there are actually things to do and see there. You don't have that in Red Stick. Outside of going to the game itself, what would you do for entertainment...watch some wino stagger out of a package store swilling rot gut from a brown paper bag, urinate in public, throw up and then collapse on the corner of Highland and East Roosevelt? No thanks. I would put it on the same level as going to Shreveport.

i like either mobile (a city that's a smaller-scale new orleans w/o all the trashy components, IMO), or nashville (a fun city with the capability to host such an event).

So Jacksonville and San Antonio have already issued invitations to host this years game. Of course they have. Any city would love to host it. But the Alamo Bowl is 4 days before Jan 1 and the Gator Bowl is Jan 2. Not sure how they can pull THAT off.

Besides, they got their bowl, as does Houston. Lets go somewhere else. I LOVE the idea of Mobile. You could still wear beads to the game. Washington would be great because it has the tourist infrastructure to support it.

Baton Rouge seems like it will have its hands full for the next few months.

Too bad Bham let Legion Field rot to snot.

I really havent kept up with this subject, but everything i seem to hear points that the Sugar Bowl will move to Houston.

Well, I'm originally from Mobile, and trust me, Ladd-Peebles couldn't handle it. That place doesn't even come close to seating enough people, and it is in the ghetto. I think the game should be held somewhere that still has some southern charm though...maybe Memphis or St. Louis?

Orlando, Tampa, Jacksonville..... These places have pros that know how to fit another bowl into their schedule.....

Baton Rouge.......I ain't goin'...........'course I might not be goin' anyhow since AU hasn't exactly earned it.........

I think it will have to be in a bowl because of the weather and stuff, I think it will be moved to Atlanta.

I was supposed to play in the Sugar bowl this year with the high school marching band. Athens High School Marching Band

I think it has to stay in the southeast to be OUR bowl. Forget NO. I think Nashville would be the better fit, or else Atlanta. The minor bowls would have to find a new home. I have never found anything in NO enduring. Nashville is a great city and not necessarily UT country either. No worries about Vanderbilt being the home team. Atlanta, however would definitly be a home team advantage for UGA.

OK..the poll should be redone. There is a minimal weather or temperature requirement for BCS games (as in the Sugar bowl). That's why you have either Dome games or out in LA or south Florida....

so strike Mobile - Ladd-Peebles Stadium, Baton Rouge – Tiger Stadium, Washington – FedEx Field, Charlotte – Ericsson Stadium..

which leave you the Houston and San Antonio.

You have to look at who usually goes to this game....

Correct me if I’m wrong but the Top non-championship team from the SEC and the ACC are the ones invited to this game. There for, having the game in Texas really doesn't help that much when it comes to getting the fans of the teams to make it out to the game. Yes, i know, "insert name here" school travels fans well. But, at the same time, the top BCS games are at "tourist" towns. Basically a game for the fans to go and have a great time in the city. Don't get me wrong, I love San Antonio and Houston...well in Houston the stadium is really nice.

I just don't see it.

I would recommend Orlando. Good weather, lot's of things for the fans to do, pretty good environment. Orlando would turn that stadium around fast enough for a New Years game. There's also Jacksonville (though weather could be dicey and well, there's not much to do there).

There's Atlanta. Right in the middle of the town big conferences.....but then again, who wants to spend New Years in Atlanta? I ask because I live here and try my hardest to get out of here on New Years.

Now, if the BCS strikes the weather issues, here's who could be up

Jacksonville, Charlotte (really nice stadium) and Phoenix.

My guess, it comes down to

Orlando

Atlanta

Miami

Houston

Jacksonville

What city would you move it to until NOLA gets another stadium?

179036[/snapback]

Do you mean when the Superdome gets repaired or a new stadium is built? Someone told me they thought they heard that they were going to have to tear the dome down. Anyone know if there is any truth to this?

I voted Houston because Reliant Field is pretty sweet, the city is big enough to handle the people, there is a lot of other things to do, and I LIVE HERE. However, I would think either Nashville, Atlanta or San Antonio would be nice. Baton Rouge would flat out suck as a spot for a New Years Eve party. JMHO.

Archived