ESPN Gameday

AURainman

good grief, this whole issue has spiraled into a bottomless pit.

When does Auburn play ESPN?

For something that is so bad we sure are obsessed with it

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BOYCOTT!!

JIHAD JIHAD DURKA DURKA

0bc63687.jpg

Guest Tigrinum Major

I hope none of you hate me, but I purchased a large amount of flooring last week from the Home Depot.

I'm lying, I don't really care if any of you hate me.

I hope none of you hate me, but I purchased a large amount of flooring last week from the Home Depot.

I'm lying, I don't really care if any of you hate me.

Well, I hate you, TM. Can't remember why, right off hand, but I think I do.

Guest Tigrinum Major

Let your hatred of me replace your hatred of the BCS and ESPN. That way you will be able to enjoy the football season to a much higher degree. Also, it will help if Auburn loses a game. If your hatred is directed toward me, you will leave the players and coaches alone, since they will feel worse than any of us (well, with the exception of Gale.)

Everyone turn your ire against me, the resident smartass!

I think I just found my special purpose.

if gameday was at auburn (and i was in the country), i'd go. i'd make signs belittling kirk and lee and chris, but i'd be there. HOWEVER, i don't watch the show. they pimp their favorite teams, they routinely snub the "small market" teams (how did that term get into college football????), and most of the time, they're wrong. why would i want to watch that?

seriously, this is the same crew that 3 out of 5 (maybe even 4 of 5) said OU was gonna be USC in 2004... really? that team didn't belong on the field with sc or auburn. and if you couldn't see that, you were an idiot. i laid money on usc for that game b/c it was a gimme. a gimme. and those idiots picked the weak sister of the three? and i'm supposed to watch for football insight? please.

now, it's just worse. fowler was either a liar or naive (sp?) when he said that the primary motivation for skipping the auburn/lsu game was regional equity. please. it was a 3 vs. 6 game and you went to usc/nebraska instead. you really think they're never going out to the pac ten again this year? cal/usc... they'll be there. usc/nd... they'll be there. how much more attractive is auburn/florida than auburn/lsu? if we're both unbeaten it's gonna be what? 2 vs. 5 at best? i haven't looked at the schedule, but i'm sure that's the same day as the iowa/michigan game or something, and i'd lay a dollar to a dime where gameday will be (hint: not the plains).

it's nothing more than a low-on-information, high-on-opinion pregame show for the abc game now. no different than any station's nfl pregame show. i don't watch those shows, and i don't watch gameday. my life is not any poorer for missing it.

I'm also miffed that this is OSU's third marquee appearance already. That's silly no matter how you slice it. But I'm blaming ABC/the Mouse more than ESPN for this new trend of showing their own evening games. And let's consider something else...is it out of the question for CBS to start their own Gameday-like show? Not that I want ESPN covering every game in every conference, but the fact that the Eye has a contract to our big games has a lot to do with the situation.

I can't believe that so many normally-sane folks have worked themselves into a bitter lather over something so trivial.

Crikey!

ESPN does what they have to do to compete and self-promote in the cut-throat world.

The Auburn team must do what they have to do to be champs.

Having a bunch of haranguing guys hating ESPN does no one any good. Not themselves, not ESPN, not Auburn.

This paranoia should come an end--and soon.

It's not paranoia...it's a good, healthy HATE!!! :)

:au::homer:

BOYCOTT!!

JIHAD JIHAD DURKA DURKA

0bc63687.jpg

Man...that's beautiful! :big:

Let your hatred of me replace your hatred of the BCS and ESPN. That way you will be able to enjoy the football season to a much higher degree. Also, it will help if Auburn loses a game. If your hatred is directed toward me, you will leave the players and coaches alone, since they will feel worse than any of us (well, with the exception of Gale.)

"He hates these cans!!!!!!" :)

"He hates these cans!!!!!!" :)

And I don't need any of this! I don't need this stuff, and I don't need ESPN. I don't need anything except this and that's it and that's the only thing I need, is this. I don't need this or this. Just this ashtray. And this paddle game. The ashtray and the paddle game and that's all I need. And this remote control. The ashtray, the paddle game and the remote control, and that's all I need. And these matches. The ashtray, and these matches, and the remote control and the paddle ball. And this lamp. The ashtray, this paddle game and the remote control and the lamp and that's all I need. And that's all I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one...I need this! The paddle game, and the chair, and the remote control, and the matches, for sure. Well what are you looking at? What do you think I am, some kind of a jerk or something? And this! And that's all I need. The ashtray, the remote control, the paddle game, this magazine and the chair. And I don't need one other thing except my dog. Well I don't need my dog.

It's a rule of For Argument's Sake not to talk about the BCS in September. The season is barely a third complete. If we start discussing who gets left out now, we might as well discuss playoff pitching matchups in May.

But in the wake of the release of the initial Harris Poll, which concurs with the coaches in ranking USC No. 2 ahead of No. 3 Auburn, this is an exception.

As Auburn fans prepare their conspiracy theories, ready to show once again that The Big, Bad Media is ready to make them live through 2004 all over again; ready to show once again that the media is all Trojans, all the time, they should take a look at the Associated Press poll.

The media ranks Auburn second. No. 3 USC is 22 points behind Auburn. That's not a large margin, but it's not thin enough to read through, either.

My advice, and this comes from someone who doesn't have a vote in any poll beyond the ESPN Power 16 (where I do rank USC second and Auburn third) is simple. One, don't worry until November. No team, even Auburn, has a guarantee that it will go undefeated. Two, if you must ignore one and worry, don't go off on the media. The media believes in Auburn.

As of Sept. 26, anyway.

Linky

Even if CBS started its own Gameday type show it wouldn't be the same. ESPN is the premier sports station watched by millions across the world. A CBS show wouldn't really do much to showcase the SEC teams to the nation/world because if noone outside of our conference watches then what's the point?

Guest Tigrinum Major

Even if CBS started its own Gameday type show it wouldn't be the same. ESPN is the premier sports station watched by millions across the world. A CBS show wouldn't really do much to showcase the SEC teams to the nation/world because if noone outside of our conference watches then what's the point?

Who are you and what have you done with tigerfan1234?

did you know that the espn thursday night game, the newly created abc night game, and the cbs afternoon games are the only weekly national games? the sec cbs game goes to every single home in america. if cbs had a "gameday" it would be as national as anything espn/the mouse do. getting people to switch is another story.

I'm also miffed that this is OSU's third marquee appearance already. That's silly no matter how you slice it. But I'm blaming ABC/the Mouse more than ESPN for this new trend of showing their own evening games.

Exactly. Why a company would ever want to promote their own products and try to make a buck is beyond me. ~rolls eyes~

Hey y'all, Buckeye fan in Columbus, GA. here. I am kinda embarrassed that Gameday is on our nuts so much this year. There is certainly no love for ESPN from Buckeyes after the way they tried to bring us down after the 2002 season. But tOSU is their largest CF market, so they usually will get ratings whether they're stomping on us or praising us. I assumed they would be at AU/LSU as that was clearly the marquis game.

All this said, I thought by now the whole on-location Gameday thing would have become uncool and experienced some backlash. I mean really, I've been to a couple AU games, and I make it back to OH for a game every year, and there are sooo many better things to do than hang out at the gameday stage. I can understand the noobs going, and a few drunken students, but who gives a crap about gameday. That ain't where its at.

Good luck tonight and the rest of the way. Just keep winning and I think you'll move up to #2 accross the board as your SOS will overtake peoples view of a non-dominant USC. I still have a feeling we drop one, but a OSU/AU MNC game would be awesome.

Welcome aboard, Joe. I believe you are our first ever Buckeye fan. We usually get fans from opposing SEC teams, and have a few resident rival fans, too. You'll find that the majority of the talk is pretty level-headed and input from an outsider is welcome and even encouraged. Stick around and post often.

Oh yeah, and don't forget to throw a jab or two at Bama.

Archived