Why aren't the Bush daughters in Iraq?

JohnDeere

WHEN I WAS a little girl in a convent school, the nuns impressed on me the power of setting a good example. These beloved teachers are no longer around to instruct the president and his family, so I recommend that the Bushes learn from Mark Twain, who said: "Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest."

My suggestion comes after the White House announcement earlier this month that Jenna Bush, one of the president's twin daughters, is writing a book on her all-expenses-paid trip to Panama, where she worked for a few weeks as an intern for UNICEF. Jenna Bush is quoted as saying she will donate her earnings from her book to UNICEF, a commendable gesture, considering her father's net worth of $20 million. But while the 25-year-old makes the rounds of TV talk shows this fall in a White House limousine, dozens of her contemporaries will be arriving home from Iraq in wooden boxes. In Britain, Prince Harry is insisting on going off to Iraq — even as his country is reducing its troop commitment.

Franklin Delano Roosevelt showed how the power of good example could also be powerfully good politics. When he led the country to sacrifice in World War II, his children enlisted and his wife traveled to military bases to counsel and comfort the families of soldiers. Newsreels showed the president's four sons fighting with the Marines in the Pacific, flying with the Army Air Forces in North Africa and landing with the Navy at Normandy. Soon other public figures followed suit — movie stars (James Stewart and Clark Gable) enlisted and sports heroes (Joe DiMaggio and Hank Greenberg) went off to war.

The contrast between FDR's good example during wartime and that of George W. Bush is stark and sad. The Bush family rallies to the political campaigns of its scions and spends months on the road raising money and shaking hands to put their men into public office. In fact, the public image of their cohesive family — the pearl-choked matriarch surrounded by progeny and springer spaniels — helped cinch more than one presidency for the Bushes. Yet now, when its legacy is most in peril, the family seems to be squandering its good will on a mess of celebridreck.

The president tells us Iraq is a "noble" war, but his wife, his children and his nieces and nephews are not listening. None has enlisted in the armed services, and none seems to be paying attention to the sacrifices of military families. Until Jenna's trip to Panama, the presidential daughters performed community service only when mandated by a court after they were cited for underage drinking. Since then they have surfaced in public during lavish presidential trips with their parents, bar-hopping outings in Georgetown and champagne-popping art openings in New York.

The first lady, so often lauded for her love of literacy, has not been seen in the reading rooms of veterans' hospitals. The president's sister, Doro, publicly picketed Al Gore's last days in the vice president's mansion as he awaited the Supreme Court's decision on the Florida recount of 2000. Yet she has been strangely absent from publicly supporting her brother's war.

The presidential nieces and nephews also have missed the memo on setting a good public example. Ashley Bush — the youngest daughter of the president's brother, Neil, and Neil's ex-wife, Sharon — was presented to Manhattan society at the 52nd Annual International Debutantes Ball at the Waldorf Astoria. Her older sister, Lauren, a runway model, told London's Evening Standard that she is a student ambassador for the United Nations World Food Program, but she would not lobby her uncle for U.S. funds. Her cousin, Billy Bush, chronicles the lives of celebrities on "Access Hollywood."

"Uncle Bucky," as William H.T. Bush is known within the family, is one presidential relative who has profited from the Iraq war. He recently sold all of his shares in Engineered Support Systems Inc. (ESSI), a St. Louis-based company that has flourished under the president's no-bid policy for military contractors. Uncle Bucky told the Los Angeles Times that he would have preferred that ESSI, on whose board he sits, was not involved in Iraq, "but, unfortunately, we live in a troubled world."

The only member of the Bush family to show the strains of our "troubled world" is former President George H.W. Bush, who shed tears recently while addressing the Florida Legislature. The elder Bush was talking about son Jeb's gubernatorial loss in 1994. Jeb, who was later elected, tried to console him. But the sobs of Bush 41 seemed to be more about his older son's "noble" war.

Perhaps the father's sadness sprang from his own experience fighting in what his parents called "Mr. Roosevelt's war" — the good war — the war that saved the world from tyranny. He enlisted at 18 to fly torpedo bombers. He flew 58 missions in two years and returned home a war hero. Since then, no one in his large family has seen fit to follow his sterling example of service and patriotism

LA Times

LOL, ahhhhhh yes. You should've posted this upfront and saved us all the trouble of reading through that garbage.

Do you have a problem with the 'Mexifornia Times'?

LOL, ahhhhhh yes. You should've posted this upfront and saved us all the trouble of reading through that garbage.

Do you have a problem with the 'Mexifornia Times'?

Not at all. It makes for great field expedient toilet paper.

QUICK ANSWER: HARRY GOT A PENIS.

Bush girls? Well, we won't go there. Now Cheney's daughter.....

What does this have to do with the price of tea in China? :blink: Who cares?

Who cares what you think? About anything?

From reading your past responses, I think you misunderstood my point. I was questioning the LA Times, not you. I have not read past the title of the thread since it is nothing but an opinion from a LA Time pinhead. When is the last time the LA Times had something worthy of more than being the paper in the bottom of a hamster cage or starting a fire in your fireplace?

This from the man who thinks Glenn Beck is a God!

What does this have to do with the price of tea in China? :blink: Who cares?

Who cares what you think? About anything?

From reading your past responses, I think you misunderstood my point. I was questioning the LA Times, not you. I have not read past the title of the thread since it is nothing but an opinion from a LA Time pinhead. When is the last time the LA Times had something worthy of more than being the paper in the bottom of a hamster cage or starting a fire in your fireplace?

It's called FREEDOM. The abilty to chose one's life w/ out having to appease any one elses desires or wishes. Good for them.

It's called FREEDOM. The abilty to chose one's life w/ out having to appease any one elses desires or wishes. Good for them.

FREEDOM to not worry about his kids, while he sends others kids to war!

If he had to send his daughters (or himself) to Iraq within 6 months, I guarantee you he'd pull out before six months. Same with Cheney. And you. And most everyone else who "thinks" like you.

If he had to send his daughters (or himself) to Iraq within 6 months, I guarantee you he'd pull out before six months. Same with Cheney. And you. And most everyone else who "thinks" like you.

I was speaking of the freedom of Jenna and Barbara to make up their OWN minds.

Parents don't send their kids to war, moron. Those 'children', you Libs keep trying to protect from the big bad war have decided on their own to accept military life, and all that comes with it.

Funny, when 'children' are considered adults, the Libs don't think they can think for themselves. But when a child is still in the womb, well....then it's not REALLY a person. <_<

Parents don't send their kids to war, moron. Those 'children', you Libs keep trying to protect from the big bad war have decided on their own to accept military life, and all that comes with it.

Word to ya momma, yo.

I was speaking of the freedom of Jenna and Barbara to make up their OWN minds.

Funny, when 'children' are considered adults, the Libs don't think they can think for themselves. But when a child is still in the womb, well....then it's not REALLY a person. <_<

Senator Prescott Bush's son joined up-- sure he got a coveted pilot spot at 19, but he signed up. Bush tells us this war is absolutely crucial to our future and the preservation of FREEDOM, and yet none of his family signs up? Sure, they are free to do it or not do it, but does his family truly believe that this war is essential to maintaining our FREEDOM? Do they not find him persuasive? Do they not care?

TT, you and the Democrats will own this defeat if it happens and you will also be responsible for the next attack on American soil. They want to kill you.

Answer the questions.

TT, you and the Democrats will own this defeat if it happens and you will also be responsible for the next attack on American soil. They want to kill you.

Answer the questions.

Already shifting blame like a true "conservative." Predictable. Conceding defeat and pointing fingers all in one motion.

They do want to kill me. You are more useful alive, since you help their cause so much.

This nugget of wisdom from...well...Tex. What do you expect?

This is not the first time you have made a remark such as this. Yes, I am a Beck fan. Though I don't agree with everything I agree with a lot of what he says, but you have absolutely no basis for this remark. What is your problem with Beck? Do you know anymore than what Kos or Olbermann or Media Matters has spoon fed you about Glenn Beck?

OK TT, since you are worth more alive, how familiar are you with Sharia law?

In the old days, the phrase was "Better red than dead." Defeatism does not change.

This is not the first time you have made a remark such as this. Yes, I am a Beck fan. Though I don't agree with everything I agree with a lot of what he says, but you have absolutely no basis for this remark. What is your problem with Beck? Do you know anymore than what Kos or Olbermann or Media Matters has spoon fed you about Glenn Beck?

I know he's an obnoxious moron. But that can be a matter of opinion. You dismiss an entire newspaper. I dismiss Beck. When you post his stuff I don't talk about the tea in China and say, "Who cares?" John Deere hasn't posted on this forum much. You could have shown him a little more respect, at least until he gets his feet wet.

Senator Prescott Bush's son joined up-- sure he got a coveted pilot spot at 19, but he signed up. Bush tells us this war is absolutely crucial to our future and the preservation of FREEDOM, and yet none of his family signs up? Sure, they are free to do it or not do it, but does his family truly believe that this war is essential to maintaining our FREEDOM? Do they not find him persuasive? Do they not care?

It's not a matter of whether they find him to be persuassive or not. They've chosen their own path, just as we all have. Their concern is not to appease you, but then the never really had to in the 1st place. You are not their judge. Sorry.

It's not a matter of whether they find him to be persuassive or not. They've chosen their own path, just as we all have. Sorry, they can't please you, but then the never really had to in the 1st place. You are not their judge. Sorry.

So is it that NO ONE in his entire extended family is buying the fact that our very civilization rests on this war or is it that they don't care? Which one is it for you?

I know he's an obnoxious moron. But that can be a matter of opinion. You dismiss an entire newspaper. I dismiss Beck. When you post his stuff I don't talk about the tea in China and say, "Who cares?" John Deere hasn't posted on this forum much. You could have shown him a little more respect, at least until he gets his feet wet.

There are numerous reasons to dismiss the LA Times. You can search this site alone for quite a few examples. You can dismiss Beck all you want. It doesn't bother me. I wasn't attacking John Deere if you would take the time to read my second response to him. Get your fact straight before you go spouting off in a knee jerk attack on someone. I was simply dismissing the article. No remarks in my first post were aimed in any way at John Deere. My opinion was "Who cares if the Bush daughters serve?" What does their not serving and Harry serving have to do with anything? Just because GWB is their dad, they should serve? This is a silly argument to make in my opinion.

There are numerous reasons to dismiss the LA Times. You can search this site alone for quite a few examples. You can dismiss Beck all you want. It doesn't bother me. I wasn't attacking John Deere if you would take the time to read my second response to him. Get your fact straight before you go spouting off in a knee jerk attack on someone. I was simply dismissing the article. No remarks in my first post were aimed in any way at John Deere. My opinion was "Who cares if the Bush daughters serve?" What does their not serving and Harry serving have to do with anything? Just because GWB is their dad, they should serve? This is a silly argument to make in my opinion.

If you want to take his post on, then by all means, take it on. "Who cares?" ..."Tea in China.." was just being a jerk. Your second post just showed that you were also a knee-jerk about anything a pulitzer prize winning paper might say.

Who was I being a jerk to? The LA Times? CRY ME A FREAKIN' RIVER! My second post was simply to clear up any misunderstanding about who I was aiming my remarks to. And the prizes are now tarnished after the antics of the LAT over the last couple of years.

Who was I being a jerk to? The LA Times? CRY ME A FREAKIN' RIVER! My second post was simply to clear up any misunderstanding about who I was aiming my remarks to. And the prizes are now tarnished after the antics of the LAT over the last couple of years.

You were being a jerk to Deere. He made a rare post here and you ask what it has to do with the price of tea in China, i.e. it's irrelevant, and then you say, "Who cares?" He cared enough to post it. You didn't care enough to challenge any point made in the article, you just made the point that he had posted something irrelevant. You can revise your intent after the fact all you want, but the truth was obvious to him and anyone else taking a reasonable look at it. Just admit it and move on. No big deal.

Archived