Jhaustin Thomas

McWeagle

Very interesting. If we did offer this kid in hoops and football, could he take a hoops scholarship and then play football but not count against the 85?

Some great info here:

Decatur (Ga.) Columbia defensive end Jhaustin Thomas named a top five at the beginning of May that did not include Auburn. After Thomas' visit this weekend, the Tigers' have vaulted to the top.

"I really like Auburn," Thomas said. "I don't have a top five. I have interest in some schools, but that has changed the last few weeks. I love the atmosphere, I toured the new indoor facility and it's nice and real big.

"Auburn is probably number one. I was feeling them a little bit, but the visit was a big turning point."

Thomas plays both football and basketball, and Auburn is interested in giving Thomas' the ability to play both in college. Thomas claims that Auburn has recently offered him in basketball as well as football, and that factor remains an important one for Thomas.

"I'm real interested in Auburn, they want me to play both sports, and that's big for me," Thomas said. "I really only want to go somewhere that will let me play both."

The talented multi-sport star from Georgia said he plans a decision in the next few weeks, before the season starts.

Rivals- Free content

Interesting. An overview...

JHAUSTINTHOMAS_150_4_26.JPG

Jhaustin Thomas, DE

Decatur, GA

6'5 / 230

Offers:

Alabama, Auburn, Clemson, Florida Georgia, Oklahoma State, South Carolina, South Florida and Tennessee, among others.

247Sports

Rivals

Scout

Very interesting. If we did offer this kid in hoops and football, could he take a hoops scholarship and then play football but not count against the 85?

Rivals- Free content

I believe he would have to count against the football 85.

Gotcha, thx.

Gotcha, thx.

Back in the day, the Bear was (in)famous for placing his excess scholarship players on the baseball & track teams with athletic scholarships in those sports. The rules were changed to prevent that from happening long ago.

Gotcha, thx.

Back in the day, the Bear was (in)famous for placing his excess scholarship players on the baseball & track teams with athletic scholarships in those sports. The rules were changed to prevent that from happening long ago.

Yep, Bear Bryant rule #37. He once had four football players from Scottsboro, "C" students, brought into UAT on academic scholarships. From then on, if a recruited athlete is on any scholarship at all and plays football he is considered to be on a football scholarship and counts against the 85.

PS: Note the "recruited athlete". Some that are walkons that were not recruited by other schools obviously do not count if they are getting some sort of academic help. Auburn's little point guard in basketball is a walkon with an engineering scholarship but doesn't count against Auburn's basketball limits because he was not a recruited athlete.

• 1 month later...
"Jhaustin is a man child on the defensive line," Columbia coach Mario Allen said. "He's 6-7 and 235 pounds. He's taking on double- and triple-teams. He's just a great athlete. Right now, I think he will probably commit to Auburn unless they decide to go in another direction. They are recruiting him in both football and basketball. That's a big plus for him."

While the Tigers are his front-runner right now, Tennessee and South Carolina likely would find themselves next in line.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/recruiting/football/story/_/id/6940701/landon-collins-final-five-stunned-one-offer

• 4 weeks later...

He's a Cock:

Jhaustin Thomas, one of the state’s top defensive ends, committed to South Carolina on Saturday. He is commit No. 8 from the state of Georgia for Steve Spurrier’s 2012 college football recruiting class.

2 good things. 1) We'll never play against him, and 2) it's fun reading the UGA folks melting down about yet another kid leaving the state.

AJC

He's a Cock:

Jhaustin Thomas, one of the state’s top defensive ends, committed to South Carolina on Saturday. He is commit No. 8 from the state of Georgia for Steve Spurrier’s 2012 college football recruiting class.

2 good things. 1) We'll never play against him, and 2) it's fun reading the UGA folks melting down about yet another kid leaving the state.

AJC

We'll play him every year when we move to the East.

I don't think Thomas ever had a committable offer from Auburn. No, I don't have inside information, but the buzz for some time was whether or not we were going to go ahead and give him an offer he could accept. I guess not.

Archived