Week 3 Notes - Sunday Update (9/07/14)

RunInRed

Looking back on San Jose State and forward to Kansas State (Thursday, September 18th) ...

DC Ellis Johnson

Phillip Marshall/247Sports (via YouTube)

"We could have played a lot cleaner. I was disappointed with the plays we left on the field."

Johnson on Montravius Adams: "Right now he's giving us so many good plays at both (end and tackle)."

Johnson: "Every quarterback we've played has been mobile" but said it was "nothing" compared to what they'll see from K-State QB Jake Waters

@wareagleextra

Auburn DC Ellis Johnson said they played 77 snaps and 60 were as good as you will see. Says they still have a few bad plays

Johnson says the young guys played ok, but weren't challenged

Johnson says Gimel President made some plays in his first extensive action at DE

Johnson says he was pleased with the play of Cassanova McKinzy and Kris Frost. Said they were very productive

Johnson says Jeff Whitaker is dealing with irritating knee injury

@ITATJAson

Ellis Johnson says there was no foul on the face mask call on the first defensive play

Ellis Johnson says nobody on the defense is out

Ellis Johnson says no matter what they'll have to single cover Lockett sometimes, b/c of KSU's QB runs

@JamesCrepea

Johnson said he was encouraged "a little bit" about the pass rush, "but we've got to keep him caged." Auburn gave up several big scrambles.

Johnson said LB Tre Williams had a better game against ARK than SJSU. He doesn't want him to get what he called "overloaded freshman-itis."

@JFergusonAU

Johnson: "The biggest thing that's hurting us on pass rush is the lanes that are opening up" for QB keepers.

Johnson said true freshman LB Tre' Williams struggled some against San Jose State and had to be pulled during the game.

Johnson on LBs: "Last year it was linebacker by committee, … this year I've not had that luxury but a reason is the 2 starters are better."

@AUBlog

Auburn defensive coordinator Ellis Johnson said DB Jermaine Whitehead has "had two really good games." Also has two interceptions

Auburn's Ellis Johnson says Kansas State has a "very unorthodox offense." Tigers play Wildcats next Sept. 18 so AU has extra time to prepare

@AUGoldMine

Johnson said it will be critical for the defense to work on stopping the run against a Kansas State offense that loves running the QB.

@TheAUPlainsman

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does anyone have highlights of the KState Iowa State game? I cannot seem to find any.

Edit- I found these, but if anyone has a replay of the Iowa St game, I would like to get to know KState a little better.

http://www.big12sports.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?&db_oem_id=10410&id=3385704

Seems like he's worried about exactly what I said in the game thread, a running qb may kill us

Which is so ironic. You'd think we'd have a decent idea of how to stop a running QB given we practice against it every day.

Does anyone have highlights of the KState Iowa State game? I cannot seem to find any.

That's how bad of a game it was.

Edit- I found these, but if anyone has a replay of the Iowa St game, I would like to get to know KState a little better.

http://www.big12spor...0410&id=3385704

just looked at those highlights...as long as the defense stays disciplined and respects the qb's running ability (cuz i know they will respect lockett) then we will be good, seen to much of them paying too much attention to one aspect of a team's offense

I see us getting K-State in 2nd and long and 3rd and long in many situations and then Waters running that QB draw for a first down, which will be quite frustrating. Gotta have a spy or something. Hopefully Ellis has something prepared. He adjusted to SJSU having their QB scrambling, I think he had Cassanova as a spy at one point.

It seems with Ellis we are going to have to deal with an average defense. I am not impressed. I can not believe we have that little ability in the secondary and at linebacker and on the DL that we can not man handle teams like spartans at the line of scrimmage.There is no reason for wide open receivers and missed assignments from JRS AND SRS. (DLespecially on the qb scrambles).... Maybe i am wrong and we still have not the experience or talent...or etc...

I see us outscoring ...... if we put away the mistakes and timing problems we had saturday. I think coates not being there put a kink in the rhythm and threw everyone else out of timing and place. We will see. Home field advantage can not be counted out. I see us winning by 10

I see us getting K-State in 2nd and long and 3rd and long in many situations and then Waters running that QB draw for a first down, which will be quite frustrating. Gotta have a spy or something. Hopefully Ellis has something prepared. He adjusted to SJSU having their QB scrambling, I think he had Cassanova as a spy at one point.

It looked like we had a sort of rotating spy to me. You always saw at least one lineman or linebacker sitting in the middle not rushing too far up to keep the QB contained.

It seems with Ellis we are going to have to deal with an average defense. I am not impressed. I can not believe we have that little ability in the secondary and at linebacker and on the DL that we can not man handle teams like spartans at the line of scrimmage.There is no reason for wide open receivers and missed assignments from JRS AND SRS. (DLespecially on the qb scrambles).... Maybe i am wrong and we still have not the experience or talent...or etc...

I see us outscoring ...... if we put away the mistakes and timing problems we had saturday. I think coates not being there put a kink in the rhythm and threw everyone else out of timing and place. We will see. Home field advantage can not be counted out. I see us winning by 10

I think you have answered your own question. Remember 2010 was with Tubbs recruits who were seniors, etc...So players that this staff has recruited are Monty, Daniel, Lawson, etc...so...not saying that the JRs and seniors are bad but they were not recruited to run CEJ's style of Defense...I think that they are doing much better in their second year. We also have some injuries and some of the JUCOs have stepped up to take a starting position. It may be a little early but some of the guys need to step into it and the Freshmen are still learning...So it will take some time and we are still battling injuries. I think we will be fine but our Offense needs to score. We need to get better in the passing game with throwing and we should be fine. but ~%50 completion is a little worrisome.

There is also a direct correlation between offensive style and defensive stats. We score fast and in turn our defense sees more snaps. Our defense is a lot better than with chiz and is only going to get better IMO.

I watched the KS game. They did not look good against Iowa State. They will be completely pumped up against us. It is all about their QB. He is almost a 1 man wrecking crew. If we can pound him, we will win and win big. I do not see their D shutting us down completely. That being said they play in a conference that has wide open offenses.

What are you talking about? We've given up one (fluke) touchdown in the last 6 quarters and are in the top 50 defensively. Monty Adams manhandled SJSU's line and McKenzy was flying to the ball. Not to mention 3 interceptions. With you the glass isn't half empty, it is empty.

I wish people would quit calling the 75-yard TD a fluke. It was a well executed play against a blown coverage. If you get tired of others calling our wins last year flukes, you should give SJSU credit. They beat us on that play.

Fluke is the wrong word, but it was just a bust. Nice play design, but Holsey made a really poor read on a normal action. I think it's useful to look at our pass defense without that play. It was a case of crossed wires, not getting beat by a great throw or a closely-covered catch.

I call it a fluke because 9 out of 10 times that play doesn't go 75 yards.

You would think we only won by a field goal with the way comments are going in other threads.

Archived