Trayvon Reed commits to Auburn!

RunInRed

The penalties themselves were no laughing matter. I'm sure Pearl would agree with that as much as he hated being out of BBall for that long. It was what he did to get those penalties that is so sad, laughable, and pathetic. One of the last gasps of a dying ncaa enforcement committee that was looking for anything to make them look tough. At worse he should have been reprimanded and not allowed to recruit the guys who attended the BBQ. Any way it is in the past now so hopefully one of these days posters like Mikey who did not want Pearl will leave it there. Instead of taking little shots here and there whenever they get the littlest opening such as here when he recruits a guy that doesn't have a spotless background. Yeah if things don't work out come on here and blow your horn all you want to. I'll be the first to admit I was wrong and hiring Pearl was a bad idea. But taking little shots like that while all he has done is bring enthusiasm and energy to a DEAD AU bball program just seems childish. My .02 cents.....

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The penalties themselves were no laughing matter. I'm sure Pearl would agree with that as much as he hated being out of BBall for that long. It was what he did to get those penalties that is so sad, laughable, and pathetic. One of the last gasps of a dying ncaa enforcement committee that was looking for anything to make them look tough. At worse he should have been reprimanded and not allowed to recruit the guys who attended the BBQ. Any way it is in the past now so hopefully one of these days posters like Mikey who did not want Pearl will leave it there. Instead of taking little shots here and there whenever they get the littlest opening such as here when he recruits a guy that doesn't have a spotless background. Yeah if things don't work out come on here and blow your horn all you want to. I'll be the first to admit I was wrong and hiring Pearl was a bad idea. But taking little shots like that while all he has done is bring enthusiasm and energy to a DEAD AU bball program just seems childish. My .02 cents.....

To be fair, I don't think it is Mikey taking little shots. I see it as his love for the school and program. I think he has made peace with Pearl as our new coach and wants nothing but success from him. It's not disrespectful to show concern over some if the baggage. I agree with him up to a point. AU is bigger than any single coach or player. It's disingenuous to complain about other coaches/players at other programs and not show similar concern at our own.

(Just my opinion.)

Assaulting an officer when caught stealing. Second chances are great, that one's pretty steep to climb out of. We're pretty well becoming the mecca of athletic program generosity right now to guys that screwed up in other programs. So long as they don't drag Auburn's name through the mud it's all good. Or if they steal then run straight then get a citation for possessing a crumb of pot it's still good. I guess. Cast ye the first stone, etc, just saying. Nt sure how I feel about this. Fire away.

Assaulting an officer when caught stealing. Second chances are great, that one's pretty steep to climb out of. We're pretty well becoming the mecca of athletic program generosity right now to guys that screwed up in other programs. So long as they don't drag Auburn's name through the mud it's all good. Or if they steal then run straight then get a citation for possessing a crumb of pot it's still good. I guess. Cast ye the first stone, etc, just saying. Nt sure how I feel about this. Fire away.

I'm with you on this.

Much as I love sports, I love AU more and IMO the school and its nearly 300,000 alums deserve for those running the athletic program to do all that's possible to protect the good name of the university.

I could be wrong ....but I doubt that any non-athlete could get past the school's Registrar if they had the kind of history with local law enforcement that some of our recruits bring. Just hoping the coaches keep that in mind when they are out there selling the virtues of Auburn University.

I support Pearl 100%. I also recognize his past problems and think we should keep a wary eye open. If he's still doing great and squeaky clean after three years, then we can start talking about pay raises. In the meantime, it's his moment in the spotlight to prove he's cleaned up his act. He has to earn back what he lost, and that's the American Way. I sincerely hope he succeeds.

Saw on al.com that PB has made room for Reed now...couple of guys on "leave of absence"....a version of being processed I guess. The roster in January will look nothing like what we saw this past March.

I will probably be the Lone Ranger here but have ya'll read this guy's background? Not the type of character I would like to see wearing an AU uniform. I hope Pearl is not willing to take any type player just to win. Fire away.

I will probably be the Lone Ranger here but have ya'll read this guy's background? Not the type of character I would like to see wearing an AU uniform. I hope Pearl is not willing to take any type player just to win. Fire away.

seems like a reasonable view to me....

JJ's last two hires has made him look like a genius.

Two of three, baseball coach still TBD.

Two of four. Softball coach a home run, as was football. Baseball TBD and basketball hasn't coached a game yet. Let's wait until there's at least a season under their belts before we go crowning them genius hires.

Two of four. Softball coach a home run, as was football. Baseball TBD and basketball hasn't coached a game yet. Let's wait until there's at least a season under their belts before we go crowning them genius hires.

Thanks....was wondering why people wanted to give BP a big raise already....appreciate the enthusiasm but IMO, we need to be a little more realistic about the task at hand.

BP is doing a great job in 2 of the 4 areas needed for an elite program.

1. Recruiting - A+ so far

2. Getting fan Base behind program - A+ so far -Still want to see full stands even during games during the week.

3. Coaching players up - No grade yet

4. Winning Basketball games - No grade yet

I am super stoked with what I have seen so far but I want to see some of last years players looking better and real team effort this year then I will grade on coaching players up. Then I think it will take at least 2-3 years to give a grade on Winning basketball games

Well right off the bat BP has done what we were all convinced we couldn't do.

1) AU will never get the big recruits because NIKE has that locked up. (Not True)

2) AU can't recruit Alabama because of Kamara ban and AAU (Not True)

There is more I'd love to see but those two right there have made us the talk of college bball.

1) AU will never get the big recruits because NIKE has that locked up. (Not True)

There is more I'd love to see but those two right there have made us the talk of college bball.

Not quite all. There were a few of us that stated the UA and AAU excuses were nothing but that, hollow excuses. Pearl, not being the sort to make excuses, went ahead and recruited like he should have and there's a lot to be said for that.

Not quite all. There were a few of us that stated the UA and AAU excuses were nothing but that, hollow excuses. Pearl, not being the sort to make excuses, went ahead and recruited like he should have and there's a lot to be said for that.

Absolutely and I can't wait to see what it look likes on the court.

• 4 weeks later...

Saw this kid at multiple AAU tournaments the last few years. Legitimately 6-10 or 11. Rebounds and blocks shots. He's really wiry. No offensive game whatsoever. Ranking is based on strictly potential...if he can embrace a role he can be kind of JaVale McGee-ish for those of you that watch the NBA. Other than that I think he's kind of overrated. Maybe our staff can coach him up

Saw this kid at multiple AAU tournaments the last few years. Legitimately 6-10 or 11. Rebounds and blocks shots. He's really wiry. No offensive game whatsoever. Ranking is based on strictly potential...if he can embrace a role he can be kind of JaVale McGee-ish for those of you that watch the NBA. Other than that I think he's kind of overrated. Maybe our staff can coach him up

I think the "can't coach height" phrase may be appropriate here.

A big man that can rebound, block shots, and not be pushed around is an asset. Rebounding big men can score a few points on put back dunks and he can move so he might get a basket or two a game just by beating his man down court. Polished O from a big man is a plus but not always needed if others can score.

• 2 weeks later...

Absolutely agree with the two posts above but my point is that height alone won't get u by in college ball. For the last 10 years or so we have had horrific basketball players that were 6-10 or taller. Also, it's one thing to rebound and block shots against high school competition. Completely different ballgame in college. Maybe he turns into a stud, I don't know. Personally just wasn't impressed with his game and on top of that he comes with baggage. Time will tell.

Absolutely agree with the two posts above but my point is that height alone won't get u by in college ball. For the last 10 years or so we have had horrific basketball players that were 6-10 or taller. Also, it's one thing to rebound and block shots against high school competition. Completely different ballgame in college. Maybe he turns into a stud, I don't know. Personally just wasn't impressed with his game and on top of that he comes with baggage. Time will tell.

Agree on your post about big men as a whole, not so much on Reed specifically. To be a big man on an up tempo team like Coach Pearl's you have to be athletic and be able to run the floor.. By all reports I have seen so far Reed has those qualities. While he does not have a quality offensive game, he is not an uncordinated slow 7 footer like we have seen here in the past. Also remember that if he gets here to play in January as expected he is likely to get only about 10-15 minutes a game this season.

• 1 month later...

Archived