CGM "hot seat"

LKEEL75

What is your take on CGM job security?  

246 members have voted

1. 1. How many wins does CGM need to keep his job?

• Are you crazy? CGM is completely secure and has no worries!
    • CGM has to bring the NC back to the family
    • The Tigers have to win 9 or more games
    • We will be breaking in a new coordinators so 7 or more games
    • Who cares about win totals, just beat UGA & the Turds

Personally I do believe he should not be on the hot seat. He inherited a mess and had a new D coordinator this year. Give him some time and he will right this ship.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One would think that 8-4 would be ok, reasonable for 2016.But,if and thats a big if. If Gus guides the team to at least 8-4 but the losses are to bammer,Uga,Lsu, and one of the Mississippi schools (Clemson not included which will probably be one of the best teams we play next year), then i think that Gus's seat is not only hot, but on fire. I like CGM, I think that he is a good man, but i really thought that he did need a few more years experience as a HC before he was brought back to the Plains as our HC.

I agree that 2013, while magical and amazing, was a case of "too much success too soon" maybe. Sometimes this can be your worst enemy. There was really no where to go at that point but down (except for winning it all). Of course, the other thing that plays into this is, not just the expectations based on that season, but the expectations based on our recruiting classes and, especially in 14', the caliber of players we had on the team.

I think he has learned a lot from this year. Contingency plans are your friend. I hope things get turned around next season.

I thought about starting this type of thread,so thanks.IMO I just don't see Gus not getting fired if he has back to back seasons of only 6 wins,a wining record is a must.The schedule is tough,so he may get a pass if he can win 7 or 8 and has the team playing well.I do not think he should have his contract extended after this season or next unless he somehow can win 10 or more next year.Hope Gus can turn things around for his sake and ours.

I think Phillip Marshall put it best. He said few believe CGM will have two bad offensive years.

I think we will do much better in 2016 compared to 2015. Much better.

I don't know if the number of wins is as important as who those wins are against and who the losses are against. 8-4 with an Iron Bowl win is probably better than 9-3 with losses to bama and uga. Also some indication that overall the program is heading in the right direction which we did not have in Chizik's last year.

Seven wins with visible improvement should give him another couple of years. Any program takes a hit when there's a change in head coaches. We need to avoid that hit if at all possible.

None of the above.

"CGM job security" is solely dependent on the outcome of this poll.

Hope that I just missed the sarcasm font, but in case I didn't...

That not at all is what I was going for. I have been reading on several topics where people keep saying CGM is on the hot seat yet it only seems to be fans saying this. If that is the case then I wanted to take a poll to see what people think is an acceptable year for AU next year. By no means am I condoning the dismissal of CGM and in fact started the thread stating as such.

At least 9 wins including a win over either uga or spuat. Getting swept 3 years in a row by our two biggest rivals should be cause for termination.

wde

Seven wins with visible improvement should give him another couple of years. Any program takes a hit when there's a change in head coaches. We need to avoid that hit if at all possible.

So let me see...one more win vs this miserable season? What possible sign of visible improvement would be evidenced by one more win?

Personally, unless he just bombs next year I think he should stay. I don't care about wins agains our rivals as much as I care about some freakin stability! You think it's hard to beat them now, wait until we have yet another coaching change. What all of these pathetic fans of ours don't realize (some of which apparently have influence) is that if we had even a capable qb we beat Georgia AND Alabama this year. Our offense still does wonders against them and everybody else as long as we execute, and getting rid of Gus will seriously risk that. With the QBs we should have on roster next season we should do much better, but I pray smarter heads prevail here

None of the above.

"CGM job security" is solely dependent on the outcome of this poll.

Hope that I just missed the sarcasm font, but in case I didn't...

That not at all is what I was going for. I have been reading on several topics where people keep saying CGM is on the hot seat yet it only seems to be fans saying this. If that is the case then I wanted to take a poll to see what people think is an acceptable year for AU next year. By no means am I condoning the dismissal of CGM and in fact started the thread stating as such.

Sorry

Clumsy of me

Let's say ~1/2 sarcastic (is there an appropriate font for that?).

I do, however, happen to think that Coach's longevity is much more dependent on perception of how well he manages this very challenging off-season situation, and of the direction of the program, than on any particular W/L scenario.

WDE

Edit for spelling

The starting qb, supposed to be so good he is in the early Heisman talk, flops. This prompts the starting of a redshirt freshman at qb in the 4th game of the season. And just when this qb is settling in he gets hurt making it necessary to fall back on the qb who played so poorly early in the season.

The offensive line begins the season in disarray.

The starter at Hback is either a freshman or a redshirt freshman.

No real homerun threat at tailback. With two of the better backs playing time delayed by an early season injury.

The stud wide receiver is dismissed from the team 5 games into the season.

The wide receiving corps as a group is average. So many dropped catchable passes with very few acrobatic, can you believe that type of catches.

The school hires a new DC. Defenses starting over with new DCs tend to struggle early on.

The best player on the team, a DE, gets hurt in the first quarter of the first game. Including the remainder of that game he misses 7 games.

A senior DB dropping what seemed to be two easy interceptions that would have been returned for game changing touchdowns. In one of the games the team ends up losing by 8 points.

Even with all of the above going on the school in question wins 6 games. While playing against 9 teams with a winning record. 4 of the six losses were by 8 points or less.

It looks as if the HC here got about as much as he could out of the season.

I don't see how the coach who steered his team through that schedule with so many obstacles placed in it's path could be considered to be on the hot seat.

Personally, unless he just bombs next year I think he should stay. I don't care about wins agains our rivals as much as I care about some freakin stability! You think it's hard to beat them now, wait until we have yet another coaching change. What all of these pathetic fans of ours don't realize (some of which apparently have influence) is that if we had even a capable qb we beat Georgia AND Alabama this year. Our offense still does wonders against them and everybody else as long as we execute, and getting rid of Gus will seriously risk that. With the QBs we should have on roster next season we should do much better, but I pray smarter heads prevail here

Well then Gus should be able to beat one of the two of uga/spuat next year then since Gus will have the QB he needs on the roster. FWIW, uga was a poor football team this season and had Gus called a better game on O then we would have beaten them.

wde

Agree with Potatoooooes. I want some stability, tired of the quick changes. Chizik had early success and quick failure that led to his dismissal. Gus came pretty close but I want to give some time and let it set in. I think any coach should be given 5 years, but I also think that first contract should come with a reasonable salary, some post season incentives (bowls, championships etc..) and the salary should remain stable for the 5 years, and a similar and equitable buyout. At the end of the contract, negotiate based on the results.

His seat is undeniably warming. If he loses to Memphis, and badly, that temperature knob will be turned up to "Mildly Uncomfortable".

If he has a repeat of this season, he'll be standing most of the time by December. If he has a collapse ala Chizik's 2012, he'll be looking for employment.

If he manages to reel off 8+ wins and has some impressive victories and close losses then this stuff will wither away to nothing.

If he wins the SEC and is in the playoffs, we may build a statue in his honor.

:) We are a passionate bunch.

You can always point out mistakes from players as to why they lost.....a good coach limits that. I've seen bammer drop at least three pick 6's....they still won the game

SumterAubie has a good write-up. Funny thing, I remember when uat was looking for a new coach and I pulled similar stats on a guy (winning record, bowl appearances and such ) and said they should hire him. Of course, that coach was Mike Shula who they had just fired (Shula did not have a bad run at bama, other than straight losses to archrival and not taking championships). Sometimes, good just ain't good enough. Gus may face the same problem. I hope not and he is given time.

Archived