CGM "hot seat"

LKEEL75

What is your take on CGM job security?  

246 members have voted

1. 1. How many wins does CGM need to keep his job?

• Are you crazy? CGM is completely secure and has no worries!
    • CGM has to bring the NC back to the family
    • The Tigers have to win 9 or more games
    • We will be breaking in a new coordinators so 7 or more games
    • Who cares about win totals, just beat UGA & the Turds

Hey DAG.

Baylor lost the two games of the season. And the offense was down right unwatchable. The third string qb that was a receiver played well in his first start, but was bad until he got hurt. The receiver that played in the Texas game couldn't have started at the high school where my kids played.

The Rollar coaster that is AU football goes all the way back to terry Bowden. Why are people so shocked? One reason and one reason only, Alabama!!! No one will admit it, and that is problem. For the past 8 seasons we are chasing after Saban. When we should have establishing a cohesive coaching unit.

The other problem is the AD. Two quality hires in (CBP and softball coach) his entire time as AD. Not to mention the financial coaches salary fiasco.

You said it was unwatchable right? You know why? Because they are playing Wide Receivers at QB. You know what is funny though? They put up more points than we do with our Scholarship QBs. Whose fault is that? Can we not just be real and critique and quit making so many excuses.

Not sure why you would think that is funny but it's also not true. Certainly not true their last two games of the season.

AU put up 13 and 13, the last two weeks. Their receivers playing QB put up 17 and 21, the last two weeks. That is more points. The previous week with CJ they had 45 points against Oklahoma State. Auburn scored 45 points one time and that was against Arkansas in a 4 OT game. All you can do is laugh at something like that. I can only go as far back as three weeks since that is when they started utilizing their Wide receivers unless you really want to compare their TRUE freshman QB stats to our QB's.

My point in this whole debacle is if anybody has a right to use an excuse, it is Baylor. The fact that so many are willing to excuse the Auburn season as a whole on JJ is pitiful. And even if you were to do that, who is ultimately responsible for that?

Somebody for once should truly answer this. I don't think Gus should be fired, but some of you guys need to learn what ACCOUNTABILITY means.

I agree with all of this

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

..Once you get past your second string guy, you never know what could happen. I don't think the Baylor comparison is legit unless Baylor had played the teams AU played and vice versa. The physicality of the SEC is totally different IMO. I would have been interested in seeing JW get some burn tho....

Hey DAG.

Baylor lost the two games of the season. And the offense was down right unwatchable. The third string qb that was a receiver played well in his first start, but was bad until he got hurt. The receiver that played in the Texas game couldn't have started at the high school where my kids played.

The Rollar coaster that is AU football goes all the way back to terry Bowden. Why are people so shocked? One reason and one reason only, Alabama!!! No one will admit it, and that is problem. For the past 8 seasons we are chasing after Saban. When we should have establishing a cohesive coaching unit.

The other problem is the AD. Two quality hires in (CBP and softball coach) his entire time as AD. Not to mention the financial coaches salary fiasco.

You said it was unwatchable right? You know why? Because they are playing Wide Receivers at QB. You know what is funny though? They put up more points than we do with our Scholarship QBs. Whose fault is that? Can we not just be real and critique and quit making so many excuses.

Not sure why you would think that is funny but it's also not true. Certainly not true their last two games of the season.

AU put up 13 and 13, the last two weeks. Their receivers playing QB put up 17 and 21, the last two weeks. That is more points. The previous week with CJ they had 45 points against Oklahoma State. Auburn scored 45 points one time and that was against Arkansas in a 4 OT game. All you can do is laugh at something like that. I can only go as far back as three weeks since that is when they started utilizing their Wide receivers unless you really want to compare their TRUE freshman QB stats to our QB's.

My point in this whole debacle is if anybody has a right to use an excuse, it is Baylor. The fact that so many are willing to excuse the Auburn season as a whole on JJ is pitiful. And even if you were to do that, who is ultimately responsible for that?

Somebody for once should truly answer this. I don't think Gus should be fired, but some of you guys need to learn what ACCOUNTABILITY means.

This.

wde

Baylor comparison isn't legit because of the teams they play???? What? Fact is they went for deep with young qb's and they were still able to operate their offense

Baylor comparison isn't legit because of the teams they play???? What? Fact is they went for deep with young qb's and they were still able to operate their offense

Not against the likes of UGA, UA, and others. I would have loved to see Baylor do the same against SEC teams.

I still believe Malzahn will continue being on the hotseat until he can prove he still win and win big. Unitl we start winning in Jordan-Hare and we beat UAT, Gus should remain on the hotseat that he made himself.

Hey DAG.

AU put up 13 and 13, the last two weeks. Not according to my copy of the schedule. We put up 56 and 13 the last 2 weeks. Their receivers playing QB put up 17 and 21, the last two weeks. That is more points. The previous week with CJ they had 45 points against Oklahoma State. Auburn scored 45 points one time and that was against Arkansas in a 4 OT game. All you can do is laugh at something like that. Why would you laugh at something that you think is bad from an Auburn perspective? I don't see why you would think that's funny if your an Auburn fan. I can only go as far back as three weeks since that is when they started utilizing their Wide receivers unless you really want to compare their TRUE freshman QB stats to our QB's.

My point in this whole debacle is if anybody has a right to use an excuse, it is Baylor. Baylor means absolutely NOTHING to me, so I couldn't care less about their struggles or anything else. The fact that so many are willing to excuse the Auburn season as a whole on JJ is pitiful. And even if you were to do that, who is ultimately responsible for that? Only the lunatics and constantly negative posters are doing that here. Not many with actual football knowledge are doing this.

I think the point is: Baylor's QB wasn't playing uga nor the turds.

Hey DAG.

This.

wde

Fire everyone. Bunch of no good bums.

Hey DAG.

AU put up 13 and 13, the last two weeks. Not according to my copy of the schedule. We put up 56 and 13 the last 2 weeks. Their receivers playing QB put up 17 and 21, the last two weeks. That is more points. The previous week with CJ they had 45 points against Oklahoma State. Auburn scored 45 points one time and that was against Arkansas in a 4 OT game. All you can do is laugh at something like that. Why would you laugh at something that you think is bad from an Auburn perspective? I don't see why you would think that's funny if your an Auburn fan. I can only go as far back as three weeks since that is when they started utilizing their Wide receivers unless you really want to compare their TRUE freshman QB stats to our QB's.

My point in this whole debacle is if anybody has a right to use an excuse, it is Baylor. Baylor means absolutely NOTHING to me, so I couldn't care less about their struggles or anything else. The fact that so many are willing to excuse the Auburn season as a whole on JJ is pitiful. And even if you were to do that, who is ultimately responsible for that? Only the lunatics and constantly negative posters are doing that here. Not many with actual football knowledge are doing this.

Come on now. You know I am talking conference games.

We put up 56 points against the Idaho Potatoes (Baylor could put up 70 against them). You got me. Answer the question Mr. Football knowledge. Who is ultimately responsible for recruiting Duke Williams? Who is ultimately responsible for having a plan in case your Junior QB doesn't pan out? Oh, I see. It is everyone else's fault.

Yes, I am laughing at the fact that Baylor with Wide Receivers can run a better offense than whatever we have. I am laughing at the fact that JSU fans can openly mock us on ESPN, saying we hurt their SOS. QBs fumbling backwards. Making LF look like Bo Jackson. What? You want me to cut myself because we had a disappointed season? You want me to go out and hurt people like Bama fans do? The only thing you can do is laugh, shrug it off and hope for better things. It is not the in of the world. When Mark Sanchez had the butt fumble, NY jets fans laughed because at that point that is all they could do. This was a butt fumble season for AU. I tell you what I am not going to do. I am not going to blindly act like everything is sunshine and rainbows, like you and a few others choose to do. I am not going to blame everyone else for AU problems, either. This perfect storm BS. Sorry, if that doesn't make me a AU fan in your eyes. I will do my best to not lose any sleep over what someone over the internet thinks of me.

Wow....DAG to really wound up.....just wondering whether folks like him actually have a life....letting the outcome of a football season cause a total personality meltdown...that sounds dangerous.

I keep hoping that folks will find more important things to raise their passion....but college football?...man that's way down the list for most people....at least I hope so considering the world we live in.

Wow....DAG to really wound up.....just wondering whether folks like him actually have a life....letting the outcome of a football season cause a total personality meltdown...that sounds dangerous.

I keep hoping that folks will find more important things to raise their passion....but college football?...man that's way down the list for most people....at least I hope so considering the world we live in.

I agree but you have met the bammer fan base right?

I agree but you have met the bammer fan base right?

Oh yes....and sounds like some clones of them show up here

Unfortunately, there seem to be more and more people who have never learned to have a discussion with any level of decorum. Combine that with people who develop an agenda and feel the need to push it in any way possible, leading to harsh words since any logical argument they may have had fell apart pretty early since their position was based primarily on passion, and you get what we are seeing from several people on this board. Society is teaching us that you can get your way by making things up and/or being loud/rude about it.

Fortunately, what happens on this message board means a total of nothing in the real world. My hope is that these over the top posters don't take their frustrations out on anyone or anything outside of the board.

Oh... and a lot more people need to realize that if Auburn totally sucked at football, that would be okay. It wouldn't be much fun to watch, but Auburn would still be Auburn and that is enough.

We have virtually the same recruiting talent as anyone except UAT and we think it is ok to lose 5-6 games? You can do an awful job half the time and keep your job? Not where I work. I wonder what the attitude would be if you only got paid for wins.

While I agree with the sentiment, you obviously haven't met my neighbors.

We have virtually the same recruiting talent as anyone except UAT and we think it is ok to lose 5-6 games? You can do an awful job half the time and keep your job? Not where I work. I wonder what the attitude would be if you only got paid for wins.

While I am certainly guilty of using the "you can't fail that often in a real job" logic against pro athletes who make millions a year, you really can't compare a coach's win-loss record to job performance at a standard job. For one, when you go to work, you're aren't pitted against someone else, from another company, and asked to win every single time. If that was the case, CEOs would be dropping like flies, because it's incredibly rare for a company to hold even 50% of the market, let alone the 80-100% you all want from a coach.

On top of that, there is far more to job performance than coaching. Let's look at recruiting, which you mentioned. We are recruiting at the highest level in Auburn history. How about team leadership? When the going got rough and we lost key players, did the team give up? No, they didn't. Sounds like a pretty good job is being done there. So the only problem is that, when pitted against teams that were, for the most part, functioning on all cylinders, we lost 6 games, and all but one were close, with a team that spent most of the season in bandages.

Oh... and if you were paid by wins, no one would do the job, because there are WAY too many intangibles that can cause or prevent a win, that the coach has no control over.

Play calling: No matter what the sport, every coach's play calling is limited by what his players can do. If we had, say, Baylor's receivers, MSU's QB or UAT's linebackers the play calling would have been much, much different. We didn't have that quality of player and that had as much to do with play calling as anything else.

OK., since you seem to be insinuating that is the players fault and not the coaching staff...Who is responsible for getting the right players and somehow convincing (coaching) them to execute?

wde

Pre-season, the three players thought to be the best on this team were JJ, Duke and Lawson. One had mental issues, one injured and one kicked off the team. Then the second team QB got a knee injury and the #3 QB needed arm surgery. That's too much to overcome all at once. If you want to blame the coaches for the above, have at it.

As usual, Mikey is spot on!

Adversity builds character. I truly believe Gus and our beloved Tigers will bounce back better than ever.

Oh... and a lot more people need to realize that if Auburn totally sucked at football, that would be okay. It wouldn't be much fun to watch, but Auburn would still be Auburn and that is enough.

Yeah, Auburn totally sucked at football when Gene Chizik was just 2 yrs removed from an undefeated national championship season and it WASN'T..... okay. Auburn was still Auburn but it wasn't enough for Gene Chizik to keep his job. And like it or not, the Administration has let Gus Malzhan know that the performance these last 13 months isn't good enough.

I think the original question depends on the offense. With Gus as HC, there is no excuse for our piss poor offense this year.

If the offense isn't back to 'normal' and the defense doesn't take a step forward then what good is he? He's not blowing it out of the water with recruiting (despite having LT, RG, DC), his record is terrible against SEC teams as it stands, and his evaluation of QBs is concerning. Not to mention decision making in important moments has been terrible. Either he is letting RL have too much chain or Gus is in over hid head at this point.

We need a huge turn around next year and we should have enough returning starters to expect such. After next year we lose the majority of our O-Line so it's not realistic to think "oh if we go 8-5 next year we will improve the next"

While I am certainly guilty of using the "you can't fail that often in a real job" logic against pro athletes who make millions a year, you really can't compare a coach's win-loss record to job performance at a standard job. For one, when you go to work, you're aren't pitted against someone else, from another company, and asked to win every single time. If that was the case, CEOs would be dropping like flies, because it's incredibly rare for a company to hold even 50% of the market, let alone the 80-100% you all want from a coach.

On top of that, there is far more to job performance than coaching. Let's look at recruiting, which you mentioned. We are recruiting at the highest level in Auburn history. How about team leadership? When the going got rough and we lost key players, did the team give up? No, they didn't. Sounds like a pretty good job is being done there. So the only problem is that, when pitted against teams that were, for the most part, functioning on all cylinders, we lost 6 games, and all but one were close, with a team that spent most of the season in bandages.

Oh... and if you were paid by wins, no one would do the job, because there are WAY too many intangibles that can cause or prevent a win, that the coach has no control over.

and barely beat JSU. You make a good point.

Did the team give up? Nope. I wouldn't expect competitors to give up. (2012 was an anomaly)

Then why do coaches who win more, get raises and sustain their jobs and coaches who lose tend to become unemployed?

Really? Says the guy who claims people are "bitchin" on an opinionated football thread because they don't agree with him? I know you love Gus (little weird). But even he can be critiqued and rightfully so.

I guess I should be more like you when people don't agree with me. Let's just say they are "bitchin" ( Someone had the nerve to say something about decorum), call them bammers or they are not Auburn men. I guess that the world we live in. But since we are throwing labels out, I think I am going to start calling some you guys, such as the fine gentleman right here, Gus Loyalist.

Gus will remain on the hot seat until he beats uat 3 or 4 times in a row and we win the SEC west and then go on to play for the SEC Championship back to back.

^Sarcasm? Even I'm not that demanding.

A4E has his own personal hot seats... Gus actually has it easy. Jay Jacobs has to cure cancer and develop cold fusion to get off of his.

Archived