Malzahn running game vs. Poor run defenses

StatTiger

1 hour ago, StatTiger said:

Through 7 games...

2013: 494.6 YPG & 36.3 PPG / 300.4 rush / 139.5 pass rating / 66 impact plays / 45.2% 3rd down / 6.67 yds per play on 1st down

2016: 501.0 YPG & 35.7 PPG / 302.8 rush / 151.8 pass rating / 61 impact plays / 48.5% 3rd down / 6.40 yds per play on 1st down

Very close indeed but the key will be how the 2016 offense closes out the season.

Thank you Mr. StatTiger. Why is it so hard for folks that claim to be AU fans admit the truth? Yes this offense is showing all the potential of 2013 and by far and away a better defense. Two weeks before us uat beats Arky 49 to 30 and everybody is raving how good uat is then two weeks later we totally dominate them 56 to 3 and everybody is like "well they are not a good team" . You can't have it both ways. And no matter how bad you want to make them nobody in the SEC has beat them that bad or has put 35 in the first half against msst. Bama won't do it in a couple of weeks, but by then I guess msst. will be a better team somehow. Just quit making excuses. Even the writers that don't usually have nice things to say about us are saying that we are in fact going to give uat all they can handle. After we blow OM out tomorrow you same naysayers will be singing our demise. All I ask is at the end of this year when we run the table don't come on here giving us your crap that you were really hoping we would  win all along. WDE

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

The big difference between 2013 Auburn and 2016 Auburn on offense... LUCK.

I hope you are talking about luck for 2013 because we have not had any lucky bounces this year. That is what I meant earlier This offense is not doing a lot of razzle dazzle they are just shoving it down their throat. WDE. 

I would even be amazed if this years team did not have more yards after contact than the 2013 team. Stat might have that info. That is a real game winner when you are making yards after contact. You move the chain more.

Edited by Eagle Eye 7

I have read this forum for quite some time, but this is my first post.  I created a little different twist on the stats for this game.  I am looking for a 38-21 type AU victory.  Let me know what you think or if you see anything out of line.  WDE!

AU O Avg OM D Advantage AU D Avg OM O
Run Plays 52.4 46.75 41.1 AU 32 31.55 31.1
Run Yards 295.3 266.8 238.3 AU 131.9 141.45 151
YPRP 5.9 6 6.1 AU 4.6 4.9 5.2
Pass Comp 15.6 17.85 20.1 OM 18.3 20.35 22.4
Pass Att 22.9 28.15 33.4 OM 33.1 34.75 36.4
Comp % 68.1 64.15 60.2 AU 55.2 58.4 61.6
Pass Yds 198.1 210.6 223.1 OM 198.3 251.2 304.1
Sacks 2 1.95 1.9 AU 2.4 2.15 1.9
Sack Yds 16.6 14.8 13 OM 14.6 12.65 10.7
Sack % 8 6.65 5.3 OM 6.8 5.85 4.9
Pass Plays 24.9 30.1 35.3 OM 35.6 36.95 38.3
Net Pass Yds 181.6 195.85 210.1 OM 183.7 238.55 293.4
YPPP 7.3 6.65 6 AU 5.2 6.45 7.7
Total Plays 77.3 76.85 76.4 AU 67.6 68.5 69.4
Total Yds 493.4 477.4 461.4 AU 330.2 392.65 455.1
YPPL 6.4 6.2 6 AU 4.9 5.75 6.6
Int 0.4 0.65 0.9 AU 0.6 0.95 1.3
Int % 1.9 2.25 2.6 AU 1.7 2.6 3.5
Fumbles 0.9 0.9 0.9 OM 0.9 0.6 0.3
Turnovers 1.3 1.5 1.7 1/2 1.4 1.5 1.6
Points 35.7 33.55 31.4 AU 14.1 25.55 37

AU       OM  
Catagories Won   12.5       8.5  
    AU       OM  
Score   34       26  
Edited by Aueagle7
changed text
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, StatTiger said:

Through 7 games...

2013: 494.6 YPG & 36.3 PPG / 300.4 rush / 139.5 pass rating / 66 impact plays / 45.2% 3rd down / 6.67 yds per play on 1st down

2016: 501.0 YPG & 35.7 PPG / 302.8 rush / 151.8 pass rating / 61 impact plays / 48.5% 3rd down / 6.40 yds per play on 1st down

Very close indeed but the key will be how the 2016 offense closes out the season.

I had no idea! That's impressive - especially with no Nick Marshall at QB!! WDE!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Linayus said:

I had no idea! That's impressive - especially with no Nick Marshall at QB!! WDE!

No, you don't understand, we have to have a dual threat QB. Those numbers are lies, I tell you, LIES.

• Like 8

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

No, you don't understand, we have to have a dual threat QB. Those numbers are lies, I tell you, LIES.

Well, the last three weeks definitely helped pad those stats. lol But if we continue at this rate.. oh man.. it's going to be something to see!

Just now, Linayus said:

Well, the last three weeks definitely helped pad those stats. lol But if we continue at this rate.. oh man.. it's going to be something to see!

I was curious, and the rushing totals for games 5-7 in 2013: 282 vs Ole Miss, 511 vs WCU, 379 vs TAMU. We figured it all out against LSU in week 4 that season, too. Lots of interesting parallels. One of the coaches even said that Cox is starting to play like Prosch did. We shall see...

• Like 1

Since 1990, Auburn is 46-1-1 in games the opponent allows at least 190 rushing per game for the season. The average score in those 48 games, 42-16.

I totally  :wub:  this stat !! 

And OM is giving up ... 229 ypg on the ground ??? 

:nanner:

5 hours ago, StatTiger said:

Through 7 games...

I love it. Great numbers. You kicked my butt. I guess, I just want to see the complete package. The 2013 team was able to manhandle UGA, Mizzou, and Bama, three teams with good to great lines and even FSU to an extent. Can we continue to have that success going forward? I think we can, but I have to see how we pose down the line, specifically against Bama and UGA.

5 hours ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

Thank you Mr. StatTiger. Why is it so hard for folks that claim to be AU fans admit the truth? Yes this offense is showing all the potential of 2013 and by far and away a better defense. Two weeks before us uat beats Arky 49 to 30 and everybody is raving how good uat is then two weeks later we totally dominate them 56 to 3 and everybody is like "well they are not a good team" . You can't have it both ways. And no matter how bad you want to make them nobody in the SEC has beat them that bad or has put 35 in the first half against msst. Bama won't do it in a couple of weeks, but by then I guess msst. will be a better team somehow. Just quit making excuses. Even the writers that don't usually have nice things to say about us are saying that we are in fact going to give uat all they can handle. After we blow OM out tomorrow you same naysayers will be singing our demise. All I ask is at the end of this year when we run the table don't come on here giving us your crap that you were really hoping we would  win all along. WDE

Potential? yes. Comparable? Yes. Might want to hold off on if they are better, though, until the final package is done. The 2013 offense put up staggering numbers against the good and the bad. I hope you are right along the way. I would hold my horses, though, until we actually do run the table. We should run at will against the likes of Arkansas and Ole miss, both who are ranked 13 and 14th respectably in rush defense. I don't use that as my litmus test. In fact, before the Arkansas game, I specifically said we matched up well against them and should not feel like the game is a toss up because of So. I expect the same against Ole miss. 

Otherwise, I like your spunk! I too think we will win out and then face off for a playoff spot with Bama come November. Oh and if this team does run the table and outpace the 2013 Offense, This would mean we probably are in the college football playoffs (with help) and I would love to eat my crow. Unlike, a lot of people here.

Edited by DAG

My worry is that we won't face an elite team until Bama, which could hinder our growth as a team. Ole Miss and UGA just aren't good. 2013 had some tests prior to Bama that really helped them grow and learn how to beat more elite teams.

Edited by caleb1633

11 minutes ago, caleb1633 said:

My worry is that we won't face an elite team until Bama, which could hinder our growth as a team. Ole Miss and UGA just aren't good. 2013 had some tests prior to Bama that really helped them grow and learn how to beat more elite teams.

I wouldn't worry about facing so called elite teams lets just beat the ones we face head up. But I understand what you mean

2 hours ago, DAG said:

Potential? yes. Comparable? Yes. Might want to hold off on if they are better, though, until the final package is done. The 2013 offense put up staggering numbers against the good and the bad. I hope you are right along the way. I would hold my horses, though, until we actually do run the table. We should run at will against the likes of Arkansas and Ole miss, both who are ranked 13 and 14th respectably in rush defense. I don't use that as my litmus test. In fact, before the Arkansas game, I specifically said we matched up well against them and should not feel like the game is a toss up because of So. I expect the same against Ole miss. 

Otherwise, I like your spunk! I too think we will win out and then face off for a playoff spot with Bama come November. Oh and if this team does run the table and outpace the 2013 Offense, This would mean we probably are in the college football playoffs (with help) and I would love to eat my crow. Unlike, a lot of people here.

Like I said folks like are going to find fault even when we beat bama. You are the fans that are exactly the ones they are talking about when they refer to the little sister bunch. And for the record you are not me so don't tell me to hold on. I believe in these guys. If you don't then just sit quietly rather than look like a little sister. WDE

1 minute ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

Like I said folks like are going to find fault even when we beat bama. You are the fans that are exactly the ones they are talking about when they refer to the little sister bunch. And for the record you are not me so don't tell me to hold on. I believe in these guys. If you don't then just sit quietly rather than look like a little sister. WDE

Actually, you just compared how we played against Arkansas, to how Arkansas played against Bama, in one of your previous posts. That is exactly "little brother" syndrome (That is the correct term, btw), they speak of as it means absolutely little in terms of how each of us would fare against each other come November, other than you feeling the need to throw a potshot at them. I don't even know where to go with the rest of your posts. I am not you, so I shouldn't tell you to hold on, yet you are clearly me, so you can tell me to sit quietly? Is that the way it works in your world? Anywho, we can take this to the PMs. Thanks for the info @StatTiger.

Needless to say Auburn should have great success running the football. if the Tigers can continue their success on the ground it not only eats the clock but keeps Kellys on the sidelines.

Ok.

Games over. It was a tough game. Came down to Holsey's interception in the 4th qtr. Petway had a great game and White managed the team very well. This was a huge win. We should 9-2 going into the Bama game. 

Edited by JFDTiger80

On 10/28/2016 at 4:12 PM, Aueagle7 said:

I have read this forum for quite some time, but this is my first post.  I created a little different twist on the stats for this game.  I am looking for a 38-21 type AU victory.  Let me know what you think or if you see anything out of line.  WDE!

AU       OM  
Catagories Won   12.5       8.5  
    AU       OM  
Score   34       26  

Pretty darn close!

Stattiger, I would love to see you spotlight the TD to Harris - what was the formation and how did it get him open?

The 2013 offense just "feels" better.  Maybe the big plays "seemed" more spectacular?  The offensive line/prosch/mason/Marshall/Coates combo felt more dominant.  Stats don't seem to indicate it.  Wonder if there are any details in the stats that would indicate the 2013 O to be better?

1 hour ago, mustache eagle said:

The 2013 offense just "feels" better.  Maybe the big plays "seemed" more spectacular?  The offensive line/prosch/mason/Marshall/Coates combo felt more dominant.  Stats don't seem to indicate it.  Wonder if there are any details in the stats that would indicate the 2013 O to be better?

It's called nostalgia.

• Like 4

22 hours ago, mustache eagle said:

I think it might have to do with Nick Marshall being such an electrifying player at the QB position as compared to Sean White.  Sean has made good decisions and been very efficient and gutsy in keeping the offense going, but he just doesn't elicit the excitement from spectators that Marshall did. 

Plus, Marshall came in at a time when Auburn fans were grasping for hope following a dismal 2012 season.  The turnaround was stark.  While many of us took a 'wait-and-see' attitude into this season, we did see enough at the end of the 2015 season with the defense improving and (White's play when he was healthy) to give us a glimmer of hope that this year could be better. 

Edited by triangletiger

Also, 2013 was all about "HOLY SH**" moments. Nick Marshall doing the Nick Marshall thing, the TAMU game, Amen Corner, the SECCG beatdown. In fact, it was only at this point in that season that we had just beaten TAMU and things has started getting interesting. 

I have no problem believing that, at the end of the season, this offense could prove to have been superior to 2013's. 

• Like 1