Rhett leaves AU / New OC discussion (Merged)

auburnphan

1 minute ago, DAG said:

Gus got a dual threat QB on his own accord. Had nothing to do with anyone else and if it did he needs to resign right now .

It was just an example to illustrate that taking your time will always produce better results.  JFIII was given an offer after 1/2 of a football game.  So with an OC position, I want him to find the right guy, not the first person who says "yes."

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, AUTIGERinSC said:

Outside of Auburn Forums, this OC search is not much news at all to casual fans and external fans. No one is laughing and no one expects an answer right this moment. Sure recruiting is important but vetting a good candidate is much more than important than losing maybe one recruit. 

I've taken longer to hire a plumber. 

well yah thats why they call them casual fans because they do not care as much.

11 minutes ago, AUTIGERinSC said:

Outside of Auburn Forums, this OC search is not much news at all to casual fans and external fans. No one is laughing and no one expects an answer right this moment. Sure recruiting is important but vetting a good candidate is much more than important than losing maybe one recruit. 

I've taken longer to hire a plumber. 

WTH?!?!

Calm & reason have no place here.

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

Would be 1 heck of a shocker but I can't see a succesful NFL play caller come to AU.

And I don't see Malzahn having any ties or connections to the NFL so I dont expect him to have any clout there.

1 minute ago, abw0004 said:

It was just an example to illustrate that taking your time will always produce better results.  JFIII was given an offer after 1/2 of a football game.  So with an OC position, I want him to find the right guy, not the first person who says "yes."

Then funny thing is that might actually happen .

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

Then funny thing is that might actually happen .

Yeah..lol. Look what happened to Alabama. Their guy said yes (Rodriguez), and then after he backed out...they settled for Saban...:dead:

So be patient...who knows how it will turn out for our OC...the proof will be starting in the fall....

1 minute ago, steeleagle said:

And I don't see Malzahn having any ties or connections to the NFL so I dont expect him to have any clout there.

Technically he does.  Steele, Brown, and McGriff all coached in the NFL.  McGriff came directly to Auburn from the Saints.  So I wouldn't be too surprised if someone with NFL experience comes to Auburn.  Heck of a recruiting boost if that does happen.  

I honestly think what is going on is not a bunch of hits and misses. I think Gus has his guy and will let us know when he is good and ready. I think we have had a lot of fun throwing out names for the job. Even Hand for the job is a little stretch in all directions.

It will be from these:

1. Chip Lindsey

2. Gilbert

3. Kiffin & Kendall

4. Helfrich

5. outside chance Yurich

It will be from these men.  If Gus goes indoors for his OC I hope it is Tim Horton. By the time I finish this post, we may have already known who the hire is. You ask me how I know this? Karma and a box of Ex-lax!  Guys, I do not think Gus is missing left and right with hiring an OC. I think we will all know soon, and will be reasonably happy with the decision. I tend to think our best sources on the site are our Mods. Ellitor seems to have the closest ears and eyes as to who it will be. Golf and the other mods likely know more than we do. Yes, trust the mods

Just now, steeleagle said:

Yeah..lol. Look what happened to Alabama. Their guy said yes (Rodriguez), and then after he backed out...they settled for Saban...:dead:

So be patient...who knows how it will turn out for our OC...the proof will be starting in the fall....

NS won a NC before hand , no? Hardly call that settling .

10 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

but,

deep down inside the situation,

the players, coaches, and administration owe no more (not even a tiny bit) to those of us that care "as much"

WDE

What I like is no matter what coach somebody brings up there are posters who will tell you what is wrong with that guy and why he is a bad hire.  We haven't hired anybody yet and we have posters who know that it is a bad hire without even knowing who the hire is.  This is very similar with when we lost Muschamp last year and as I remember the D played pretty good this year with the bad hire  "Sarcasm" we made. Last year we had to replace almost the whole defensive staff this year just the OC.

Lets at least wait till we hire somebody before we say how bad he is.

13 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

And then he lost his best OC to date and in a rush to replace him promoted a known alcoholic who was fired from his last major position.

Just now, auburnphan said:

Well, I doubt we would go there but Joe Moorhead would be the guy for me.  Not sure he would want to leave Penn State either.  

It would certainly be an upgrade (conference, competition, reputation thanks to Sandusky), but I've heard Franklin is really good to work with, so there's that. He's also on the hunt for a head coaching position, so jumping ship as an OC might not be on his radar.

4 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

What I like is no matter what coach somebody brings up there are posters who will tell you what is wrong with that guy and why he is a bad hire.  We haven't hired anybody yet and we have posters who know that it is a bad hire without even knowing who the hire is.  This is very similar with when we lost Muschamp last year and as I remember the D played pretty good this year with the bad hire  "Sarcasm" we made. Last year we had to replace almost the whole defensive staff this year just the OC.

Lets at least wait till we hire somebody before we say how bad he is.

What I like is people going out there way to defend the indefensible . Quite frankly we shouldn't even be in this position. We have an offensive guru on the staff, supposedly . This should be a plug in hire alas Gundy. We shouldn't even be in this predicament as this is our HC trade . People keep bringing up the defense but what people fail to realize was Muschamp had a resounding effect on our defense and it showed in the bowl game . I think ppl panicked when certain individuals were not retained and we feared our defense would have to go through yet another scheme.  Lucky we got CKS who was not a home run hire but good enough. He was smart enough to understand that he did not need to reinvent the wheel and quite frankly a very small minority was in a uproar about it . I think most people were of the opinion that it could be worse. Big difference.

18 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Technically he does.  Steele, Brown, and McGriff all coached in the NFL.  McGriff came directly to Auburn from the Saints.  So I wouldn't be too surprised if someone with NFL experience comes to Auburn.  Heck of a recruiting boost if that does happen.  

To piggy back off of your NFL themed post... 

I've wondered if it's possible that we have our guy already but he's still coaching on one of the 4 remaining NFL playoff teams. Sorry if that idea has already been brought up but I haven't read through 80+ pages of posts!

At this point I don't even care if chip is signed on. With all the talent we have on that side of the ball, a freaking monkey could come up with a game plan and back up plan to be productive. 

This is a team who had so much depth at the RB position that Kam was originally a freaking FB. Think about that for a second  

29 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

We (I) care, but it's not gonna ruin my week as its out of my control. 

It will be sterling silver no matter who it is......

1 minute ago, DAG said:

At this point I don't even care if chip is signed on. With all the talent we have on that side of the ball, a freaking monkey could come up with a game plan and back up plan to be productive. 

This is a team who had so much depth at the RB position that Kam was originally a freaking FB. Think about that for a second  

70% of the posters were convinced Pettway would suck. Some credit goes to the Online but he has the talent to be special. 

4 minutes ago, BigSammyK said:

To piggy back off of your NFL themed post... 

I've wondered if it's possible that we have our guy already but he's still coaching on one of the 4 remaining NFL playoff teams. Sorry if that idea has already been brought up but I haven't read through 80+ pages of posts!

This might be believable, if Gus were not flying all over the country interviewing people still.

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

I wish we would have had that monkey the last couple of years, especially the Clemson game this year

Archived