Chip Lindsey new OC

RunInRed

Just now, metafour said:

And that makes him a "Yes man"? OK, bud.

I don't think that Lindsey leaves Arizona State so that he can fetch Malzahn's coffee here, if that is what you are implying.  As someone who himself rose through the levels, Lindsey has pride just like Malzahn does.

Really, without Gus he would not even be in the job he had at AZ.

Folks wanting an OC who can help develop Stidham....looks like that is what we got..

He is far more pass oriented than Gus or RL and I predict we will not be anywhere near 75% running plays if JS and SW are healthy and that ...what was it?    85% of our first down plays WILL NOT be off tackle.

As noted for the anti-Gus-tree folks, he spent about a year at AU and has a decent record at some Div 1 schools.

1 minute ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

No you are just wearing you're OB glasses. Why do you think Craig , Grimes, and Rhett left here to take a lateral at best or worse with Grimes and Rhett. They all tried to steer Gus in another direction but Gus instead just moves them out of the way and replaces them with less qualified folks that will not challenge him. Good coaches go after people who will challenge them and make them better. Not Gus because he is childish. Look at Gus and then at NS and tell me which one looks more like a grown up. It is not hard to see this is a fail waiting to happen. Another year wasted for these young men. Probably will derail our recruiting for sometime to come. But hey you guys go ahead and make excuses for Gus. You just are part of the problem. This is why we are not successful at AU, because we always refuse to demand that folks we pay, preform as they should.

No I mean I know you're wrong, no O&B glasses here. You're spouting out bull for some reason with no actual substance other then Gus likes to work with people with who he's comfortable with like almost everyone else in college ball. The real problem is Gus is getting compared to Nick Saban. Get an argument with some substance other then "Craig left".

• Like 3

3 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

There's that quitter attitude we all love. 

I never said that I wouldn't give the guy a chance but he certainly doesn't appear to be a home run hire and he's not walking into a good situation.  You'll likely feel the same way when you've seen several decades of this crap.  

Edited by gctiger

4 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

He got his job at ASU based on his work at USM under Todd Monken.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, gctiger said:

I never saud that I wouldn't give the guy a chance but he certainly doesn't appear to be a home run hire and he's not walking into a good situation.  You'll likely feel the same way when you've seen several decades of this crap.  

What do you mean not walking into a good situation?   He arrives and finds a highly rated QB in Stidham and a solid (if fragile QB) in SW and an excellent OL and WR corp to work with.  My gosh....I can't think of any place a coach could go (or stay) that has a better situation for success.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, gctiger said:

I never saud that I wouldn't give the guy a chance but he certainly doesn't appear to be a home run hire and he's not walking into a good situation.  You'll likely feel the same way when you've seen several decades of this crap.  

Being Devil's Advocate, home run hires are the exception and not the norm for most coordinator hires. CCL will bring fresh ideas and more creativity to the O and I'm willing to give him a chance. Whether or not Gus allows him to work freely is the question that will determine success or failure in my opinion. We will get the answer to that question come September. 

The vibe around here smells just like when Al Borges was hired. 

OK, so we didn't win the headline exactly after we were expecting Kendall Briles. That's fine. Ultimately, what did we want though?

Not Rhett Lashlee - ✔

An actual upgrade from Rhett Lashlee - ✔

Noted QB developer - ✔

Has an actual passing attack, and uses it - ✔

Will deviate from what's gotten stale and has actually called his own plays - ✔

I am actually kind of excited about the hire because of what he likes to lean on offensively, if he's given a chance to do so. With our weapons he can be incredibly successful. The only way he isn't is if our personnel mismanagement continues. It CAN'T take us 1/3 of the season to figure out who our best players are. But the guys coming back have shown they can all play at a high level and we have upgraded the QB spot as well. I think we have the potential to be very explosive next season with CCL.

Does anybody know about CCL's recruiting ability?

• Like 4

No point in arguing. What's done is done . Gus got his man , now its put up or shut up time . I am excited 

• Like 5

I think, as stubborn as Gus is, he knows he has to do better or he is gone.  I think he will let Chip run the offense.  Of course if he feels we are getting too far removed from running the ball,  he will speak up about it.  But that is what a head coach should do.  I am interested to hear our players reactions to the hire, especially our quarterbacks. Overall, I think the offense will be fun to watch next year.  Another overlooked element was Chip's success in the red zone last year.  11th in the country.  That has been a sore spot for us.  Surely a tight end or two was used

Edited by AUBwins
Typo

Ok time for me to start pumping sunshine. My protest is over I lost :jossun: As for QB's his has had success, I expect that he and Stidham will be pass heavy. Chip is also very pass heavy on first down, and I like that as I think that is one of the best times to go vertical especially in the HUNH. He likes to run routes out of the backfield and have a RB that is just as good at receiving. He likes to run several plays that look the same except the play has 3 different options. This is familiar to the old Gus offense, where the defense would later over play the plays because they were conditioned to do so by earlier plays. 

2 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

I think, as stubborn as Gus is, he knows he has to do better or he is gone.  I think he will let Chip run the offense.  Of course if he feels we are getting too far removed from running the ball,  he will speak up about it.  But that is what a head coach should do.  I am interested to here our players reactions to the hire, especially our quarterbacks. Overall, I think the offense will be fun to watch next year.  Another overlooked element was Chip's success in the red zone last year.  11th in the country.  That has been a sore spot for us.  Surely a tight end or two was used

Look on Twitter, lots of responses from players, KJ, KP, JS, SW and others.

58 minutes ago, AUGoo said:

What's with all the negativity?

Got a studly running game.  Now getting a studly passing game and a coach to attract QB's for development. I'm looking forward to seeing these two Offensive philosophies morphed together.  How can anyone be pessimistic until there are on field reasons to be? 

Because some people are just miserable human beings.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

That's just a dumb post - I imagine his hire at ASU had zero to do with his one year as an ANALYST at AU.

• Like 3

I'm looking forward to seeing how this turns out. Not sure why every thinks this guy is a yes man or how he comes from Gus' tree. He spent 1 year with Gus and from the posted stats runs a much more balanced offense. Hope he does well here

• Like 1

1 minute ago, autig90 said:

That's just a dumb post - I imagine his hire at ASU had zero to do with his one year as an ANALYST at AU.

That post is not an exception! This is a solid hire! There aren't many "Rock Star" OCs out there and this person probably couldn't name 5 of the OCs in the SEC. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

I give an over under at 5 games next season before Gus is fired and I am probably a little high. And no Chip is not a good hire he is mediocre at best. Might have been a good choice for a QB coach, but the only reason he is the OC is he agreed to let Gus call the plays, something Rhett refused to do any longer and not to fire Gus's other yes men Kodi and Herb. Next year we will see if we can go hire a real coach.

Ill take the over. What are the terms.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AU-Allen said:

No we need Balance..... Throwing isn't going to win games int he SEC day in and day out. 

His offense has been balanced, last year they averaged a few more passes a game than runs, and the year before at Southern Miss it was just the opposite.

26 minutes ago, gctiger said:

I disagree.

He is walking in to an incredible situation.  Number one running back in SEC returning.  Stud QB with previously highest passing efficiency as a likely back up and an incredible set of young, aggressive receivers.  The passing game would appear to be a blank page to begin coaching from the floor up. What's not to be pumped about? We have a new braintrust to look forward to developing this evolving O.

• Like 1

My initial reaction is.... Well, RL's still gone, so that's good and CL ain't "Rehash" Mazzone so that's good too.

Beyond that, after reading his info, I honestly don't know what to think except *yawn*... Wake me when the season starts and I'll at least give him a chance.

War Eagle!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

I think, as stubborn as Gus is, he knows he has to do better or he is gone.  I think he will let Chip run the offense.  Of course if he feels we are getting too far removed from running the ball,  he will speak up about it.  But that is what a head coach should do.  I am interested to hear our players reactions to the hire, especially our quarterbacks. Overall, I think the offense will be fun to watch next year.  Another overlooked element was Chip's success in the red zone last year.  11th in the country.  That has been a sore spot for us.  Surely a tight end or two was used

They've all been tweeting that they're excited about it. Go check Auburn's twitter.

• Like 1