Chip Lindsey new OC

RunInRed

5 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

No he isn't going to be a stud recruiter.

Can you elaborate? Is it due to inexperience? Or just getting whooped on the recruiting trail? I'm still learning about this guy 

Edited by Tiger

4 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Can you elaborate? Is it due to inexperience? Or just getting whooped on the recruiting trail? I'm still learning about this guy 

It could be he looks like a goober to some on this board?

• Like 4

It's time to allow fate to take it's course. All this hinges on whether Gus allows him too have control and not look over his shoulder. On the surface it seems like a good hire. Not sure if he is what we need to beat the best defenses in the country, but time will tell. and maybe he will evolve into something special. :dunno::jossun:

I guess we'll know who's really calling the plays the first time we get a first down and go hurry up. Dive = Gus. Anything else will be CL. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

What did you tell me about absolutes?

When one speaks unnecessarily inabsolutes, one is inviting scrutiny. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, TigerTennis80 said:

I'm wondering if the negative naysayers in this thread were also among the naysayers last year when Kevin Steele was hired as DC. Well, that group was certainly right about what a disappointing hire that was! Oh wait...

10429294_10203721067485454_3687225587959457042_n.jpg

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Tiger said:

He will be resourceful but coaching will be his strength.

17 minutes ago, bigbird said:

What did you tell me about absolutes?

When one speaks unnecessarily inabsolutes, one is inviting scrutiny. 

You should probably ignore me.

6 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

He will be resourceful but coaching will be his strength.

Sure hope so....likely that good coaching yields good results...which then helps with  recruiting....take it a step at a time.

I was really glad when I read he was good at developing QB's. Lord knows we need one of those. It was getting frustrating for us to have great recruiters who couldn't do anything with the talent once they got them signed.

1 minute ago, AU64 said:

Sure hope so....likely that good coaching yields good results...which then helps with  recruiting....take it a step at a time.

Is that how Greg Brown became an excellent recruiter?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AU-Allen said:

No we need Balance..... Throwing isn't going to win games int he SEC day in and day out. 

From what I read his offenses are balanced. Gus only threw 20+ percent of the time. AU needs to pass more to back the safeties up so the run game can really explode.

Well since he's from Madison and coached in the state, I'm sure I'm not the only one on this board that knows Chip. I've known him since we were kids and am very excited to see him get a chance here. Ha, if you told me in say 1990 that Chip Lindsey would one day be the OC at AU, I'd of said you were crazy. Good stuff, what a trip. 

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

I think that Lindsey will be a very strong recruiter.  He's a Rush Propst product, just like Jeremy Pruitt.  Trust me, Propst knows a thing or two about salesmanship.  Lindsay has experience and success in the HS networks of both Alabama and Georgia; why wouldn't he be a good recruiter? 

• Like 8

41 minutes ago, imaolgatiger said:

Where did you see/hear this?

Maybe I misread, but a couple people made reference earlier in this thread. 

38 minutes ago, Auctoritas said:

Out of their rear ends. 

Hah!

18 minutes ago, doug3020 said:

I guess we'll know who's really calling the plays the first time we get a first down and go hurry up. Dive = Gus. Anything else will be CL. 

Execelent point. That will be the true test. 

2 hours ago, GordoAU said:

Mixed feelings. I don't like that he's from Malzahn's tree but he was very successful at Southern Miss and ASU. 

I think too much is being made of "Malzahn's Coaching Tree". One year as an off-the-field analyst is not that strong of a connection to Malzahn. Lindsey has worked under several coaches. My concern is he does not have a lot of NCAA on the field coaching experience.

Lindsey's recent history:

2016 - 2016 - Arizona State (OC/QB) [Under HC Todd Graham] Replaced Mike Norvell who went to Memphis as HC. Graham is a former defensive coach.
2014 - 2015 - Southern Miss (OC/QB) [Under HC Todd Monken] Replaced Marcus Arroyo who went to NFL Tampa Bay as QB coach. HC Monken left in 2015 to Tampa Bay as OC. Monken is a former offensive coach.
2013 - 2013 - Auburn (Offensive Analyst) [Under HC Gus Malzahn]
2011 - 2012 - Spain Park High School in Hoover, AL (Head Coach)
2010 - 2010 - Troy (QB) [Under HC Larry Blakeney and OC Kenny Edenfield]
2008 - 2009 - Lassiter High School, GA (Head Coach)

Does anyone know why he left Lassiter for Troy, and why he left Troy to go back to high school coaching?

His record as an OC is mixed, so in the stats below I focus on the passing offense as a clue to his QB coaching skills. Note, Lindsey was not OC at Troy in 2010, he was only the QB coach.

2016 Arizona State
Tot 391
Pass 259.3 <- #39 FBS, primary QB Manny Wilkins, R-SO, QBR=133.2 prior DNP
Run 131.5
PPG 33.3

2015 Southern Miss
Tot 510
Pass 329.7 <- #12 FBS, primary QB Nick Mullens, JR, QBR=155.2 prior 122.5
Run 179.8
PPG 39.9

2014 Southern Miss
Tot 365
Pass 269.3 <- #34 FBS, primary QB Nick Mullens, SO, QBR=122.5 prior 108.7
Run 95.8
PPG 19.0

2010 Troy
Tot 453
Pass 296.8 <- #10 FBS, primary QB Corey Robinson, R-FR, QBR=137.9 prior DNP
Run 156.6
PPG 34.1

Just now, metafour said:

I think that Lindsey will be a very strong recruiter.  He's a Rush Propst product, just like Jeremy Pruitt.  Trust me, Propst knows a thing or two about salesmanship.  Lindsay has experience and success in the HS networks of both Alabama and Georgia; why wouldn't he be a good recruiter? 

There's absolutely no evidence that says he won't be. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, metafour said:

I used to know Chip decently well. Not sure how knowing Propst will help. I can tell you that I worked with Propst and that won't make me a good salesman.

And much of Chip Kelly's HS experience is in the northern part of the state which is where we don't recruit a whole lot anyways. 

5 minutes ago, metafour said:

Because Aujeff said so

• Like 2

Just now, aujeff11 said:

I used to know Chip decently well. Not sure how knowing Propst will help. I can tell you that I worked with Propst and that won't make me a good salesman.

And much of Chip Kelly's HS experience is in the northern part of the state which is where we don't recruit a whole lot anyways. 

Apparently you know him so well that you just called him Chip Kelly.

• Like 9

6 minutes ago, bigbird said:

There's absolutely no evidence that says he won't be. 

And there's absolutely no evidence that says he will be..

10 minutes ago, metafour said:

Apparently you know him so well that you just called him Chip Kelly.

Guess Kelly has a certain ring to it. But, other that, the typo means zilch and you know it.

Even that bush league tactic is beneath you...

Edited by aujeff11