Chip Lindsey new OC

RunInRed

11 minutes ago, bigbird said:

his is what gets me, Jeff. You and I had a back and forth the other day about recruiting. During it, I stated my experience with it and you continued to bemoan that I didn't know what I was talking about and refused to believe me.

I'm not going to beg you to believe me.

I am prisoner to my own beliefs, personal experiences, and anecdotes and do not need company.

Take it what it's worth, I don't think Chip will be a stud recruiter but he will be a stud coach but like they say "that's your own opinion, man."

Edited by aujeff11

6 minutes ago, bigbird said:

He can't offer any, but here

I already mentioned Barnett and that 4*. 

Your article mentioned his lack of recruiting experience though. 

Edited by aujeff11

Just now, Auctoritas said:

Ok - back on track -

I have an honest question. What does an Offensive Analyst do? Does anyone know what CCL did in 2013 for us?

Personally, I think they simply coach.

......while nobody's looking ;)

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

Like everyone else in college football. You get that right? Butch Jones? Worked with 4/9 of his staff at UT prior. Nick Saban? Same thing 4/9. Kirby Smart? 5/9 of his staff. Jim Mcilwain? 3/9. I could go on but I won't. It's not a new thing to surround yourself with people who you've worked with and "familiarity" y'all need to wake up. 

This is for all the people bashing Gus for surrounding himself with "familiarity" and "yes men".

2 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

I am prisoner to my own beliefs, personal experiences, and anecdotes and do not need company.

Take it what it's worth, I don't think Chip will be a stud recruiter but he will be a stud coach but like they say "that's your own opinion, man."

I don't, not believe you. Just wonder why you are unwilling to provide the same level of understanding to others.

1 minute ago, aujeff11 said:

I already mentioned Barnett and that 4*

Your article even mentioned his lack of recruiting experience...

The Wrights had a lack of flying experience too. That doesn't mean he will be bad. From the experience he does have, he has shown to be an effective recruiter so far. JMO

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, JMassie11 said:

Guess guys like Malzahn, Pruit, Smart, Fleck, Norvell, and Kingsbury just all knew how to shake hands then

Yeah, basically that's what it comes down to. Didn't Malzahn attach himself to his HS QB?

3 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Don't care about the argument but just noted what you said here.

Personally, I would be just fine with this.  Based on AU's recruiting rankings vs the actual on field product the last 3 seasons I'm tired of "great" recruiters who apparently are marginal coaches.  It'll be nice to have a stud coach, on offense, for a change.

Carry on & War Eagle!

• Like 3

chiming in. i like our personell. at a minimum: if the guy can actually call an offense, doesnt have to be great, just call a damn offense, if these boys can execute, i like our chances. it really is a best case for us right now. we have an offensive drout, cfb has a coaching drout, i say just fix the offense. 

Amen 72.   Let's start coaching players how to play their positions.   Evaluate the best 11 and get to work.   If the guy knows how to develop a back up and can call a good game, I'm all in.   

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Yeah, basically that's what it comes down to. Didn't Malzahn attach himself to his HS QB?

Are you seriously that naive or is there something going on that none of us are aware of

Edited by JMassie11
  • Like 1

as long as chip is successful and integrates the pass into this offense our offensive recruiting will be great.   

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, JMassie11 said:

Are you seriously that naive or is there something going on that none of us are aware of

Naive about what? Sounds like you're the one that may be a tad bit naive. 

11 minutes ago, JMassie11 said:

is there something going on that none of us are aware of

Edited by JMassie11

:gofig:

4 minutes ago, Auctoritas said:

...wat? You're openly criticizing the hire by insinuating that familiarity is a bad thing. Or, have we switch around definitions, and now "yes man" is a good thing?

AGAIN...when have I said Lindsey was a minus or a negative hire?

I haven't.

What I DID say is Gus couldn't get who he really wanted and instead, got his fall-back guy.

1 hour ago, ClaytonAU said:

Like everyone else in college football. You get that right? Butch Jones? Worked with 4/9 of his staff at UT prior. Nick Saban? Same thing 4/9. Kirby Smart? 5/9 of his staff. Jim Mcilwain? 3/9. I could go on but I won't. It's not a new thing to surround yourself with people who you've worked with and "familiarity" y'all need to wake up. 

The point is Gus couldn't get who he really wanted and instead, got his fall-back guy, a guy he knew all along would crawl from AZ to AU to become OC.

5 hours ago, HarrisBoy334 said:

If Saban hired him the question would then be why did Gus let him get away? He's a proven qb coach and OC who isn't afraid to throw it. Isn't that what AU needed? Or is it people just wanted Gus gone regardless?

It's the second part

Wow! I don't know much about Lindsey, but am willing to give the man a chance. Look, I have been quite critical of Gus, but Damn. I seriously think some of the posters here could use a little more quality time with a member of the opposite sex. If you get my drift.

• Like 1

Glad it's over.  And, I hope he is a Gus guy.  Now fish or cut bait and we'll evaluate.  Some people on here would be happy if we hired Rosie O'Donnell as OC.  Some would have been pissed with a Chad Morris hire.  We'll see at the end of 2017.

I find it interesting that all of the less than 50 posts on this site are the ones with all of the negativity. Do you smell what the Doc is cooking?  I am cooking a soufflé of Bammer Troll & Broiled Turd Delight! This will be served with a Saban style flaming red hard as rock dinner roll. The Red Turd Diner is open for bammers of all kind.

As for Chip, I think that he will work fine with getting our QBs up to speed for 2017. I think that Gus knows what is at stake and will let Chip function like a true OC that can succeed in the SEC. Chip was not my first choice, nor was he my second. In all fairness, I did my homework to find out as much as I could about Chip. I think he is a solid upgrade from Rhett and this will come to fruition in 2017.

Edited by doc4aday

4 hours ago, aufan57 said:

Can someone explain to me how working for one year as a QA makes someone part of the Malzahn coaching tree? Has more connections to Rush Propst than Malzahn

Please be careful with the logic. It has no place in this conversation.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, aujeff11 said:

Ok, deny my credibility to appease your dissonance of hearing he won't be a "stud recruiter." IDGAF. I gave personal insight and you rejected it, so whatever dude.

Stick with the "he learned from Propst for a year" and believe the North Alabama boy can recruit Mobile like a star.

I think they have different regions each coach recruits and if I'm not mistaken, Coach Williams has the Mobile area. I believe what would happen in that scenario is, Coach Williams would essentially get coach Lindsey in the door, if that's not the case, forgive my ignorance. 

Edited by aubearcat

This is me saying my peace and then I'm done. 

I don't feel the warm and fuzzies about this hire. This is a guy that has a grand total of 4 years as a college coach. This is a guy that only spent 1 of those years at a remotely major university and it was out west. This is a guy that coincidentally came from HS just like Gus. This is a guy that studied under Gus before. This is a guy that has never had to recruit SEC caliber players.  This is a guy that hired Kodi as a RB coach at his first major gig (who never played or coached RBs before). This is a guy that only has a very few years experience not running a HS spread offense.  This guy is from a coaching tree of sleezeballs in HS.  This is a guy that's never been more than an analyst in a conference with quality defense.  This is a guy who a large part of his "success" in college is based around a qb he coached in HS (will never have 6 years with a qb again). This is a guy that similar to Gus was an unknown out of HS so defenses may not know his tendencies yet but could be the just like Gus...once SEC defenses find his weakness it's all over. 

That said, if he truly can develop qbs at Auburn and can just remotely call a decent game, with Stidham and White available, this team should win 10 games.  I have listed all my concerns above, but I'm not going to hold any of those against him because none of them have to be bad things. So until he proves otherwise, War Eagle Chip. Welcome aboard. 

6 minutes ago, aubearcat said:

I think they have different regions each coach recruits and if I'm not mistaken, Coach Williams has the Mobile area. I believe what would happen in that scenario is, Coach Williams would essentially get coach Lindsey in the door, if that's not the case, forgive my ignorance. 

My point was we barely recruit North Alabama other than Madison Academy and that's where much of his connections are. But you're right for sure. He had a brief stint in Georgia and worked with Lutzenkirchen but I'm not sure of his connections there. 

I'm going to wait and see. 

If he is a good QB developer and if we have more offensive balance and creativity in play calling, I will be his biggest fan. If not, we'll probably be looking for a whole new staff next year.