Will we beat Clemson this year?

Builder

3 hours ago, DAG said:

And another thing too . If we are killing Clemson at half time , no more sitting on the ball . Keep scoring and scoring . Sick of letting teams catch momentum .

but iff, do it with some youngsters?

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, DAG said:

That is how it should be. Don't keep the starters in, but at the very least keep running your offense even with the backups.

I do know it ended up resulting in Spurrier always having able backup QB's when he would get irritated and bench the starter.  I think it pays dividends when the backups have not only made handoffs or limited passing against teams like Western Kentucky.  My perspective would be: take a quick 21 or 28 point lead if you can, then put in the backups and let them going with a wide-open offense.  I might be doubtful that opportunity will present itself against Clemson, but I would like to see it employed whenever possible.

I would love to see Gus keep his foot on the gas in games, especially in the third quarter.  The thing I am curious to see is if Gus can have the team ready to play from game one and not wait until game 3 to find out what this team's strong points are.  This part of Gus' plan drives me nuts.

1 hour ago, I_M4_AU said:

I would love to see Gus keep his foot on the gas in games, especially in the third quarter.  The thing I am curious to see is if Gus can have the team ready to play from game one and not wait until game 3 to find out what this team's strong points are.  This part of Gus' plan drives me nuts.

Bingo. We have not been good in the 3rd quarter on offense under Gus. People cite individual plays here and there that they think lost us the BCSCG, but Gus guided us to a whopping 0 points in the 3rd quarter of that game. (Meanwhile, the defense that everyone whines about only surrendered 3 in that same quarter.) It would seem that part of being an offensive genius would be an ability to make adjustments at halftime and come out with a plan that will score points. Let's hope CCL helps us in that regard, also. 

To me that stems from his lack of halftime adjustments. To me, it seems like the opponent's defense adjust, but Gus just maintains...good or bad.

23 minutes ago, bigbird said:

To me that stems from his lack of halftime adjustments. To me, it seems like the opponent's defense adjust, but Gus just maintains...good or bad.

I would argue that, across the board, Gus is slow to react. He's the kind of chess player who has to really think through each move. That's why it takes 2-3 games for him to determine the team's identity and a whole quarter to adjust to his opponent's adjustments.  Hopefully Chip and a more open offense will speed all of those things up.

How about no.  We won't beat Clemson.  Dabo over the last four seasons: 11-2, 10-3, 14-1, 14-1

Gus over the last four years: 12-2, 8-5, 7-6, 8-5

Dabo wins at a high level every year and and Gus just doesn't although the sunshine pumpers will make every excuse for Gus.  Also Like Gus Dabo has brought in a lot of talent.  Dabo isn't on the hot seat and isn't feeling pressure.  Gus was on the hotseat last year and went 8-5.  I could go on but I just don't see Gus winning.  Also Gus couldn't beat Clemson at home, this year its on the road.

I agree somewhat that Gus is slow to react.  But I also feel like he's been too dependent on his "script" and once the handful of scripted plays are out of the bag at the beginning of the 1st qtr and the beginning of the 3rd qtr he has to adjust on the spot and has had trouble doing so.  I don't know many times we've seen the offense come out of half-time and march straight down the field with ease...only to later not be able to do much of anything for the rest of the 3rd qtr.  

Maybe that was all on Rhett?  I hope we'll see some innovation, less predictability, and some lightening fast adjustments and game changing play calling when the offense bogs down.

It's rough sledding when the opponent's defense adjusts and catches up to your schemes....gotta continually evolve or get left behind in this league.

3 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

I'm hoping with Chip running the show this will no longer be an issue. 

I believe we will. I put it at a 60/40 chance of us winning.

If Sean White and Kam Pettway / Kerryon Johnson, had played the entire game last year, I believe we would have won that game last year. Coaching cost us the Clemson game at home, no way around it.

Clemson has lost a lot of talent from last year. We are going to be much better on offense this year than last and our Defense, like last year, is going to be NASTY!

I know most people say Spring game is no indicator of what a team will be and I agree to some extent. But this year's spring game compared to the past spring games are miles apart. We clicked on offense, clicked on defense, special teams will always be special with Daniel Carlson, and it is definitely one of the best spring games (in terms of productivity), I have ever seen at AU.

Even if you discount the 1s against the 2s, there is no way you can "fake" the kind of production we saw on the passing plays down the field on A-Day. It is not just the completion and yards percentage, it was where the balls were placed. Reminds me of the Sullivan years.

1 hour ago, ToomersStreet said:

How about no.  We won't beat Clemson.  Dabo over the last four seasons: 11-2, 10-3, 14-1, 14-1

Dabo wins at a high level every year and and Gus just doesn't although the sunshine pumpers will make every excuse for Gus.  Also Like Gus Dabo has brought in a lot of talent.  Dabo isn't on the hot seat and isn't feeling pressure.  Gus was on the hotseat last year and went 8-5.  I could go on but I just don't see Gus winning.  Also Gus couldn't beat Clemson at home, this year its on the road.

Teams change. Since we have played them last year we have upgraded the QB spot, upgraded the OC (play calling) spot, we have upgraded the running back spot (KP did not play against Clemson last year), and we should still have a pretty good defense. Clemson will have the 2nd best defense we will play (behind alabama) so they are going to be TOUGH... and it is on the road... BUT they are going to miss their QB and star WR.

We stand a much better chance to beat them this year than we have the last few times we played them, and considering we almost beat them last year with the biggest "clump of %&*!" offense I have ever seen in my entire life then we stand a good chance getting the upset this year. 

16 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

Teams change. Since we have played them last year we have upgraded the QB spot, upgraded the OC (play calling) spot, we have upgraded the running back spot (KP did not play against Clemson last year), and we should still have a pretty good defense. Clemson will have the 2nd best defense we will play (behind alabama) so they are going to be TOUGH... and it is on the road... BUT they are going to miss their QB and star WR.

We stand a much better chance to beat them this year than we have the last few times we played them, and considering we almost beat them last year with the biggest "clump of %&*!" offense I have ever seen in my entire life then we stand a good chance getting the upset this year. 

Don't forget their running back, tight end, linebacker, and defensive back are also gone.

2 hours ago, ToomersStreet said:

You really need to look deeper into the facts you throw out on this forum.

Just now, abw0004 said:

Don't forget their running back, tight end, linebacker, and safety are also gone.

I never see you in the recruiting forum. It is probaly best we keep our distance at all times! haha.

3 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

I never see you in the recruiting forum. It is probaly best we keep our distance at all times! haha.

I don't understand what that is supposed to mean, but I am up to date on all of our recruiting.  Every article, interview, and podcast I have seen/heard.  I even talked about Ross on your thread.

34 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

By the way, does anyone remember what happened to that coach that ran that "clump of %&*!" offense" from last season???????????????????

22 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Don't forget their running back, tight end, linebacker, and defensive back are also gone.

Please, educate me.

14 minutes ago, ToomersStreet said:

Please, educate me.

Do you really want me to like I did last time?  Remember, you challenged me to find facts to support my statement, which I did.  And then I asked the same for you and you couldn't?  Not trying to be a jerk, I am just pointing out sometimes you say things that are incorrect or have not basis.  

It would be easier for you to just read what everyone else is saying on this thread minus the Scotty guy to prove what I am saying.

16 minutes ago, ToomersStreet said:

Please, educate me.

You are funny dude . Provide some balance on this forum , although I don't necessarily stand with you on your disdain for our HC. What is your prediction for this team?

4 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Do you really want me to like I did last time?  Remember, you challenged me to find facts to support my statement, which I did.  And then I asked the same for you and you couldn't?  Not trying to be a jerk, I am just pointing out sometimes you say things that are incorrect or have not basis.  

It would be easier for you to just read what everyone else is saying on this thread minus the Scotty guy to prove what I am saying.

Yes. Please school me.  Because from where I am sitting Gus Mazahn is in over his head. He has bitten off more than he can chew.  I understand the reason for everyones optimism but Gus has let you down three years in a row and you go back for more.  And our last argument, I think WarDamnEagles comments were enough to validate that Gus has not yet turned the offence completely over to Chip.

1 minute ago, DAG said:

You are funny dude . Provide some balance on this forum , although I don't necessarily stand with you on your disdain for our HC. What is your prediction for this team?

8-4

43 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

I don't understand what that is supposed to mean, but I am up to date on all of our recruiting.  Every article, interview, and podcast I have seen/heard.  I even talked about Ross on your thread.

Really?! You were the one who told me one time it is best we avoid each other because all we do is disagree!!

2 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Really?! You were the one who told me one time it is best we avoid each other because all we do is disagree!!

I have your back GwillMac6!

Just now, ToomersStreet said:

I have your back GwillMac6!

I would have your back more but your profile pic gives me the heebie jeebies and is a reminder everyday that we have a clown runing AU athletics! lol.

Archived