Best Recruiting Areas in the US.

ValleyTiger

Not that surprising, but Auburn's so centrally located in that southern recruiting hotbed. #BringEmInCoach

Actually, surprised that NOLA isn't hotter, but it's only the last 5 years.

g88DQb0.jpg

2 hours ago, ValleyTiger said:

Not that surprising, but Auburn's so centrally located in that southern recruiting hotbed. #BringEmInCoach

Actually, surprised that NOLA isn't hotter, but it's only the last 5 years.

A lot of that NOLA talent moved to Houston after Katrina. 

1 hour ago, brad5628AU said:

Love looking at these things..thanks for posting. What's going on in Philly?

That's a great question!  That seems like the odd ball on this map.  

My next question is what would Oregon be without Phil Knight?, not to mention how surprising UW's playoff run was last year.  That northwest talent is few and far between. 

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

A lot of that NOLA talent moved to Houston after Katrina. 

Good point. It has been 12 years though and Houston has always been loaded.

Probably good explanation for why the entire toe of the boot is lit up rather than more centrally hot on NOLA.

11 minutes ago, ValleyTiger said:

Good point. It has been 12 years though and Houston has always been loaded.

Probably good explanation for why the entire toe of the boot is lit up rather than more centrally hot on NOLA.

Here's an ESPN article on it from 2015:

In an area where high school football is almost a religion, the greater Houston metro area was producing on average roughly 60 major college signings per season in the early 2000s. That average has swelled to more than 74 over the past decade, and astute local high school coaches and college recruiters point to the influx of people from Louisiana, like Carter, as one of the reasons for the increase.

"There's no doubt Houston is a better recruiting territory because of Katrina," said University of Houston offensive coordinator Major Applewhite, who has recruited in parts of the city for more than a decade as an assistant for the Cougars, Texas, Alabama and Rice.

"It's not like it was barren before, but there's been an influx. I recruited the Southeast part of Houston, the Eastern part of Houston and pushing out toward Port Arthur and Beaumont, and almost every high school has had a prospect with some sort of ties with New Orleans or Louisiana. The whole I-10 corridor has been loaded with players that moved out because of Katrina, with many ending up in Houston."

Thanks for the article @McLoofus, wasn't disagreeing but expounding. Another point that the Golden Triangle (Beaumont, Port Arthur, Orange) isn't actually represented on the map.

In regards to Philly, I'd imagine some of those draft picks were from across the river along that Jersey Turnpike.

I've been saying for a while now that our base recruiting area needs to expand to eastern texas.  Houston up to Dallas.  @bigbird can vouch for me on that.  I've also said we need to expand up the east coast some.  Not all the way to Philly unless someone from that area has a specific interest in us but up NC, Virginia, and maryland.  

Man, I need to go check out some high school games here in Atlanta. I've been saying it for years, but I'm a transplant and don't have a particular team to pull for. I also don't have kids or even friends with kids who are high school age so it's difficult to venture into that realm.

That sure is a bright red spot in my general vicinity, though.

13 minutes ago, corchjay said:

I've been saying for a while now that our base recruiting area needs to expand to eastern texas.  Houston up to Dallas.  @bigbird can vouch for me on that.  I've also said we need to expand up the east coast some.  Not all the way to Philly unless someone from that area has a specific interest in us but up NC, Virginia, and maryland.  

And you have been absolutely correct in you assessment. Way too much talent around here. 

Any chance we can snag Thig from UTk if/when the 10th assistant is official.  Would help up the east coach specifically in NC and Maryland.  Or if we want to go more the Texas route we have a relationship with Terry Price at aTm.  However Terry I think is a aTm alum so would have to be staff turnover to get him.  He is an excellent 4 man front DE developer that his players excel at rushing the passer.  Problem there is coach Garner I don't think likes sharing DL responsibilities or maybe that was Rocker.  Can't remember which.

42 minutes ago, corchjay said:

Any chance we can snag Thig from UTk if/when the 10th assistant is official.  Would help up the east coach specifically in NC and Maryland.  Or if we want to go more the Texas route we have a relationship with Terry Price at aTm.  However Terry I think is a aTm alum so would have to be staff turnover to get him.  He is an excellent 4 man front DE developer that his players excel at rushing the passer.  Problem there is coach Garner I don't think likes sharing DL responsibilities or maybe that was Rocker.  Can't remember which.

Apparently Larry Porter has some good relationships in that area.  If that is the case, we need to turn him loose and let him work. 

1 minute ago, Gowebb11 said:

Apparently Larry Porter has some good relationships in that area.  If that is the case, we need to turn him loose and let him work. 

Coach Porter has some time in NC and in Texas/LSU but nothing like the 2 guys mentioned before.  

1 hour ago, corchjay said:

Doesn't Lance Taylor do well up there? I was excited about him because of that. I don't reckon we'll be wooing him back, though. 

Just now, McLoofus said:

Doesn't Lance Taylor do well up there? I was excited about him because of that. I don't reckon we'll be wooing him back, though. 

who is Lance Taylor?

Just now, McLoofus said:

Thompson, yeah he's in good around those parts.

10 minutes ago, corchjay said:

who is Lance Taylor?

10 minutes ago, ValleyTiger said:

Thompson, yeah he's in good around those parts.

7 minutes ago, corchjay said:

Gotcha wasn't sure if he was talking Lance Thompson or Trooper Taylor both of which I don't expect back at AU.

Actually, I meant Coach Eric Taylor. And hopefully he'd bring his lovely wife, Tammy, with him. #cleareyesfullheartscantlose

(Thank you for the correction/confirmation.)

forget Philly...what the heck is the dot in North Dakota about? Atleast philly has some heat around it as well. That North Dakota spot is by itself by about 300 miles!

22 minutes ago, gravejd said:

forget Philly...what the heck is the dot in North Dakota about? Atleast philly has some heat around it as well. That North Dakota spot is by itself by about 300 miles!

Probably North Dakota State...  that'd be my guess

Sorry that area is actually Bismarck.  Population of about 70K.  

6 hours ago, bigbird said:

And you have been absolutely correct in you assessment. Way too much talent around here. 

Maybe with the addition of CCL and the perspective success of JS, we will start horning in those areas. Those are like 7 on 7 all star skill players all over.

3 hours ago, gravejd said:

lol, got me there. Looked it up and apparently Carson Wentz was enough to get the small blip in North Dakota.

21 hours ago, ValleyTiger said:

lol, got me there. Looked it up and apparently Carson Wentz was enough to get the small blip in North Dakota.

really so just one player would give them that dot? That means there are no active players in the NFL from all the states with no dots. Thats pretty surprising IMO

Archived