JaTarvious Whitlow question for the board

ellitor

1 hour ago, abw0004 said:

I think the point of my question may have been missed.  Cocky was just icing on the cake.  The question was more geared to with all of the running backs ahead of him, and even potentially at WR, would this be enough justification for him to transfer?

51 minutes ago, DAG said:

We have so many RBs...I guess it couldn't hurt seeing as crazy things happen E.G. Roc and JR. However, I would like to see this kid more in a Pearcy Harvin role, especially since CGM trademark is utilizing two main RBs in his offense. Well, in reality, he likes the primary back to get 70 % of the touches it seems. BTW, this is the epitome of someone who we should use in the wildcat. No more KJ. Not a risk to pass ever.

47 minutes ago, aufan57 said:

I imagine he could fill the role Stanton Truitt was gonna have.

The 2nd two posts I quoted touch on what I was going to respond to the 1st. Gus occasionally has success with guys who are neither full time RBs nor full time WRs (or full time FBs, for that matter). Peyton Hillis, Mario Fannin, Onterrio McCalebb and Corey Grant are all multi-purpose guys who Gus put in the NFL (well, not sure if that's technically true of Hillis, but he can definitely thank Gus for putting him on the map). Kam Martin might be another one before long. Point being, a guy like Whitlow might not see 5 RBs ahead of him. He might see what Roc Thomas didn't- a golden opportunity to fit into his own niche and make plays that way. If he can't find his way onto the field, then it's okay with me if he does transfer.

I will say that the Stanton Truitt thing still bothers me a little, though. Never understood why he wasn't used more. He had the stuff to contribute. 

10 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I will say that the Stanton Truitt thing still bothers me a little, though. Never understood why he wasn't used more. He had the stuff to contribute. 

Agreed. A consummate team player. I really think he would've killed it in this O

1 hour ago, DAG said:

We have so many RBs...I guess it couldn't hurt seeing as crazy things happen E.G. Roc and JR. However, I would like to see this kid more in a Pearcy Harvin role, especially since CGM trademark is utilizing two main RBs in his offense. Well, in reality, he likes the primary back to get 70 % of the touches it seems. BTW, this is the epitome of someone who we should use in the wildcat. No more KJ. Not a risk to pass ever.

I would expect Iggy to be the Percy Harvin type.  JW isn't lightening fast like Harvin was.  

54 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

The 2nd two posts I quoted touch on what I was going to respond to the 1st. Gus occasionally has success with guys who are neither full time RBs nor full time WRs (or full time FBs, for that matter). Peyton Hillis, Mario Fannin, Onterrio McCalebb and Corey Grant are all multi-purpose guys who Gus put in the NFL (well, not sure if that's technically true of Hillis, but he can definitely thank Gus for putting him on the map). Kam Martin might be another one before long. Point being, a guy like Whitlow might not see 5 RBs ahead of him. He might see what Roc Thomas didn't- a golden opportunity to fit into his own niche and make plays that way. If he can't find his way onto the field, then it's okay with me if he does transfer.

But is this Gus's offense or Chip's?

53 minutes ago, corchjay said:

I would expect Iggy to be the Percy Harvin type.  JW isn't lightening fast like Harvin was.  

Lightning quick isn't what made Pearcy Harvin so special though. Granted it help. What made Pearcy so special is that he was a jack of all trades. He could catch, he could read holes, he was an adequate blocker, he could return punts, he could line up in the shotgun and take direct snaps etc. This kid can do everything.

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Congrats on hitting the 10,000 post mark!  I assume that happened today.

23 hours ago, DAG said:

Lightning quick isn't what made Pearcy Harvin so special though. Granted it help. What made Pearcy so special is that he was a jack of all trades. He could catch, he could read holes, he was an adequate blocker, he could return punts, he could line up in the shotgun and take direct snaps etc. This kid can do everything.

Your post reminded me of the guy who played at Kentucky a few years back and was drafted by the Packers - Randall Cobb (I think that's his name). That guy's a heck of a football player and can play just about any skill position.   Could Whitlow be our Randall Cobb?

37 minutes ago, triangletiger said:

Your post reminded me of the guy who played at Kentucky a few years back and was drafted by the Packers - Randall Cobb (I think that's his name). That guy's a heck of a football player and play just about any skill position.   Could Whitlow be our Randalll Cobb?

Hines Ward comes to mind.

16 hours ago, bigbird said:

Agreed. A consummate team player. I really think he would've killed it in this O

Agreed 100% on the disbelief at his leaving, as well as his ability to contribute (when healthy). I think his early injuries perhaps made him feel he had a shorter time available to showcase his immense speed and talent, and felt as a limited-role player, he wasn't being given enough plays to showcase that talent, especially after multiple role changes. Pity; he was a smart kid, both in football and in general, and had ELITE speed, though it never quite showed as football speed. This could be due to a lack of long runs more than an indictment of his abilities. 

Here's to hoping we miss a repeat of the result in JT Whitlow. 

16 hours ago, kd4au said:

But is this Gus's offense or Chip's?

Fair question. I believe there is a lot of philosophical overlap, but we will definitely have to wait and see.

15 hours ago, triangletiger said:

Your post reminded me of the guy who played at Kentucky a few years back and was drafted by the Packers - Randall Cobb (I think that's his name). That guy's a heck of a football player and play just about any skill position.   Could Whitlow be our Randalll Cobb?

Wow great reference. I would love that possibilty 

We may have 5 runningbacks ahead of him this year but Pettway will not be back and even though we expect KJ to return for his senior year that is not guaranteed. Even if he does he has been as pointed out elsewhere many times been injury prone as has malik miller. If they are not 100% that would leave you with K. Martin at 185 and Devan Barrett who is 190 or so right now healthy at runningback pending 2018 signing date and whomever else at rb may sign as a bigger back. He has talent and elusiveness and good hands and hand eye coordination. Sounds like a way to use his skills immediately and have some insurance just in case. You have to look at more than the current year when making these decisions.

To me, a frosh RB has to learn the protection packages and be able to pick up the blitz so our QB doesn't get killed.  This has to be taught and learned by just about all high school stars when they get to college. Toting the rock is secondary though we wouldn't sign him if he didn't have the talent.

2 hours ago, API said:

To me, a frosh RB has to learn the protection packages and be able to pick up the blitz so our QB doesn't get killed.  This has to be taught and learned by just about all high school stars when they get to college. Toting the rock is secondary though we wouldn't sign him if he didn't have the talent.

I didn't know Coach Tuberville posted here.;D

16 hours ago, oracle79 said:

I didn't know Coach Tuberville posted here.;D

Hey, I resemble that remark !

On 7/26/2017 at 9:45 AM, API said:

Hey, I resemble that remark !

I still think Tubbs not playing Kenny Irons in the first game of 2005 against Georgia Tech because "he didn't know the pass protection" cost us the game.

54 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

I still think Tubbs not playing Kenny Irons in the first game of 2005 against Georgia Tech because "he didn't know the pass protection" cost us the game.

People talk about how stubborn Gus is, but they forget Tubbs could be pretty stubborn too.

1 hour ago, oracle79 said:

To be fair, they had just beaten us in 2003 b/c we couldn't pick up their blitz. 

Archived