read-option offense

WDG

Why no long runs? Can Jarret Stidman run a read-option offense? This to me is what is missing the opposing defenses are not expecting JS to run. Last game he proved he can throw but to get the offense clicking the opossing defenders are going to have to respect that QB can run. 

2 hours ago, WDG said:

Why no long runs? Can Jarret Stidman run a read-option offense? This to me is what is missing the opposing defenses are not expecting JS to run. Last game he proved he can throw but to get the offense clicking the opossing defenders are going to have to respect that QB can run. 

No he can't . He is not that type of QB. You need some one with speed and/or quickness. 

Nick Marshall and Tre Mason - that was a deadly combo against Missouri in SEC championship game. Never seen a game we dominated like that, had about 500+ yards rushing.

Don't think we will have a combo that good for a while

54 minutes ago, DAG said:

No he can't . He is not that type of QB. You need some one with speed and/or quickness. 

Stidham has enough speed and agility to be a threat to run, but the biggest problem as @bigbird said it not actually running it.  Stidham is being told to give it, instead of actually making a read.  My guess is they are scared of injury and/or turnover.  

19 minutes ago, tgr4lfe said:

Stidham has enough speed and agility to be a threat to run, but the biggest problem as @bigbird said it not actually running it.  Stidham is being told to give it, instead of actually making a read.  My guess is they are scared of injury and/or turnover.  

He's making a lot of reads. It's just that his reads aren't to give or run. It's give or throw to a WR in space. Still a read, but he's not reading or running the same plays that Nick Marshall ran.

Mississippi State game will tell us what our future will be like. We should take Missourri easily IMO.

The LAST thing we need right now, especially with Sean White gone, is Stidham running the ball. We do not want Stidham injured, and his vulnerability to injury is documented. Let's keep him healthy.

15 minutes ago, AURex said:

The LAST thing we need right now, especially with Sean White gone, is Stidham running the ball. We do not want Stidham injured, and his vulnerability to injury is documented. Let's keep him healthy.

Agree...JS might have been a DT in high school but he does not have speed or elusiveness for the SEC and no reason to expose him to the risks....an occasional five yard keeper off a fake pitch....but that  is about it.  .JMO.

4 hours ago, WDG said:

If you notice, it's not a zone read. They carry out the motions, rather poorly, but it's a straight zone play. He's NOT reading it. If he did he would have scored a TD against cousin Clem. I've had several coaches concur about this.

19 minutes ago, 1913-14 said:

If you notice, it's not a zone read. They carry out the motions, rather poorly, but it's a straight zone play. He's NOT reading it. If he did he would have scored a TD against cousin Clem. I've had several coaches concur about this.

Exactly

The more I see JS run the more I realize he's definitely not a zone read player. Maybe he can pull it off here and there to gain 5-10 yards on a sleeping DE but that's not going to be in the playbook much. And he really doesn't want to run, which I think is good, but he's going to have to be quicker about tucking the ball and taking a few yards over trying to buy time for one of our receivers to finally find space.

18 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

I think even JS needs to run a genuine read option and end up keeping it 2-4 times a game to keep the defense thinking.

Agreed. I know he at least did it once Saturday. 

If an offense needs to be reliant on a ZR in order to be effective, chances are, it's not a very viable offense in the first place....
Especially given what we know about the NFL and how easy it is to counter the ZR unless you've got a Lamar Jackson in the backfield that makes cuts that transcend time and space and accelerates like a souped-up Ferrari. 

Does Malzahn consider JS DT? I'm dissapointed we are still putting the wildcat out there at the goal line. NM and Cam never had one.

1 minute ago, Barnacle said:

They never have Chandler friggin' Cox either

I was mainly talking about KP and Kerryon running the wildcat. Cox is a no-go at wildcat no matter what offense is being ran. Cox is a decent blocker and he should be utilized as such on the line.

2 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

I was mainly talking about KP and Kerryon running the wildcat. Cox is a no-go at wildcat no matter what offense is being ran. Cox is a decent blocker and he should be utilized as such on the line.

It was a joke

26 minutes ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

Apologies again.

Isn't zone-read a subset of read-option?

Well, I wouldn't call it so much as a subset, but rather an essential part of the overall package that comprises the SCHEME of a Read-Option.
Simply put, the Zone Read is a play concept that is the crux of the read-option along with RPOs and influence traps. 

9 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

It was a joke

I figured that. Cox has only had one carry this year as far as I know though. I'm frustrated that we are still using the wildcat on the goal line. It simplify doesn't work against the good defenses even with the extra blocker.

1 minute ago, aujeff11 said:

I figured that. Cox has only had one carry this year as far as I know though. I'm frustrated that we are still using the wildcat on the goal line. It simplify doesn't work against the good defenses even with the extra blocker.

Sure would be nice to run a more potent style of offense that can actually attack matchups in the red zone.... Like every other competent offense in the game. 

Archived