ellitor

2019 5* LB Nakobe Dean

Recommended Posts





 

Quote

 

5-star linebacker ‘impressed’ by Auburn

Despite hosting six official visitors, Auburn coaches made time for the No. 1 Class of 2019 prospect in Mississippi.

Nakobe Dean, a 5-star linebacker from Horn Lake, Miss., will be a hot commodity. Dean already has taken visits to Alabama, Ole Miss, Mississippi State and LSU. Prior to the weekend, he’d never spent time at Auburn. That changed with an overnight visit to the Plains over the weekend with family and his high school teammate, Raydarious Jones.

Mark down Visit No. 1 as a success.

“It was great. I loved it here. I’m glad I got a chance to come to a college I hadn’t been to before,” Dean said. “Usually, I’d been going to the same colleges over and over again. I just wanted something new.”

Dean spent most of his time with linebackers coach Travis Williams and defensive backs coach Marcus Woodson.

He never felt left out on a weekend loaded with 2018 official visitors. In fact, he had the opposite feeling during his two-day stay on the Plains. Williams and Woodson carved out plenty of time to take to the No. 30 overall prospect in the 2019 class.

“I always say I want a family feel to the university. How they talk about it, they tell me it’s a family vibe. Everybody’s a family around here. You can tell,” Dean said. “They definitely impressed me.”

Dean’s process has a long way to go.

He still wants to take visits to Georgia, Florida, Michigan and potentially others. Dean doesn’t know yet whether he’ll use the spring official visit period or not. Either way, he doesn’t expect to make a college decision until after his senior season.

Auburn has gotten into the picture with recent contact.

“They gave me an offer back in December of last year. I didn’t really hear from them until the last two weeks. They’ve been communicating with me every other day,” Dean said. “I just like the school. I’m not really ranking my schools yet. I just love the feel of Auburn.”

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, corchjay said:

The state of Mississippi is loaded with in the top 10 players in the state next year

Hello Mr. Woodson!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dude looks like a tiger chasing down its prey. I like him a lot, not very big for an ILB but he'll continue to fill out.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

His highlights show him playing against mediocre competition. He looks really big against many teams but he is not. He is blowing up half the offense when he makes some tackles. That being said, he moves laterally really well and he hits with a serious thump. Looks like we are on the list along with lots of other great schools, including Bama. Super glad he came.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks a lot like Zacoby McClain to me, size and violence wise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JFDTiger80 said:

His highlights show him playing against mediocre competition. He looks really big against many teams but he is not. He is blowing up half the offense when he makes some tackles. That being said, he moves laterally really well and he hits with a serious thump. Looks like we are on the list along with lots of other great schools, including Bama. Super glad he came.

Look at the fields he's playing on. That has to be the bigger schools in Mississippi to have fields that nice. The competition should be pretty good. Glad he came too!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, AU80cruiser said:

Look at the fields he's playing on. That has to be the bigger schools in Mississippi to have fields that nice. The competition should be pretty good. Glad he came too!

Yea, but when he looks like one of the bigger players on the field and he barely 6' and weighs only about 210, it makes me wonder. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, JFDTiger80 said:

Yea, but when he looks like one of the bigger players on the field and he barely 6' and weighs only about 210, it makes me wonder. 

I looked it up and horn lake is in Mississippi's 6a classification so feel a little better about it. I see some pretty big linemen out there with him. :jossun::cheers:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, AUatHeart said:

Any news on Dean?  Seems like all the focus is on Pappoe, and not a lot of news on Dean.

Named a top 10 that AU made a couple days ago but this is a LSU-Bama battle right now. Been to LSU quite a bit more than AU FWIW.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Named a top 10 that AU made a couple days ago but this is a LSU-Bama battle right now. Been to LSU quite a bit more than AU FWIW.

Thanks for the info. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/24/2018 at 12:21 PM, AUatHeart said:

Thanks for the info. 

I second this!
Thought it seemed like we had a good chance with him when this cycle first kicked up. Dean and Pappoe would be awesome.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Zeek said:

I second this!
Thought it seemed like we had a good chance with him when this cycle first kicked up. Dean and Pappoe would be awesome.

Maybe adding Pappoe will turn his head a bit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/1/2018 at 12:41 PM, lionheartkc said:

Maybe adding Pappoe will turn his head a bit.

He needs to forget about LSU and come to Big Cat so he can see what this class could be like.  We are in bad need of getting him back on campus.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, NorthGATiger said:

He needs to forget about LSU and come to Big Cat so he can see what this class could be like.  We are in bad need of getting him back on campus.

With complete & total respect, no we aren't. This class is loaded w/ high quality LBs in the South & we are only taking 2 more plus a Buck. I would love to have Dean but we are going to have a damn good LB class w/ or without him.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, ellitor said:

With complete & total respect, no we aren't. This class is loaded w/ high quality LBs in the South & we are only taking 2 more plus a Buck. I would love to have Dean but we are going to have a damn good LB class w/ or without him.

I hope you are right. Maybe I'm just gun shy because of prior years, but I've seen times when there are "plenty" of, (LB, DT, OT) you name the position, but LB in particular, when we are said to be in good shape with a number of them and then watch them slowly, one-by-one, slip away. The tune "Another One Bites the Dust" comes to mind. When it's done we are left with a handful of less than what we needed. Pappoe is a great catch but he can't do it by himself. We NEED two more LB and another that can play the buck position. There's a lot of gettin' left to do.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I hope you are right. Maybe I'm just gun shy because of prior years, but I've seen times when there are "plenty" of, (LB, DT, OT) you name the position, but LB in particular, when we are said to be in good shape with a number of them and then watch them slowly, one-by-one, slip away. The tune "Another One Bites the Dust" comes to mind. When it's done we are left with a handful of less than what we needed. Pappoe is a great catch but he can't do it by himself. We NEED two more LB and another that can play the buck position. There's a lot of gettin' left to do.

Agree. I feel like DL is the only position group where we've gotten the benefit of the late-walking big dogs. 

A lot of indications from the right people that something special is brewing with this class, but it would be great for that to become reality sooner rather than later. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mikey said:

I hope you are right. Maybe I'm just gun shy because of prior years, but I've seen times when there are "plenty" of, (LB, DT, OT) you name the position, but LB in particular, when we are said to be in good shape with a number of them and then watch them slowly, one-by-one, slip away. The tune "Another One Bites the Dust" comes to mind. When it's done we are left with a handful of less than what we needed. Pappoe is a great catch but he can't do it by himself. We NEED two more LB and another that can play the buck position. There's a lot of gettin' left to do.

To be fair that was mostly pre T-Will.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, we've had the backups on campus long enough to know if they are players or we need to find replacements. We aren't scrambling, so that kind of gives me the answer.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Needs aside, I would really really really like to have Dean and Pappoe!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Needs aside, I would really really really like to have Dean and Pappoe!

I want a game changer at every level on defense. When is the last time we had that? the 1980s?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Also, we've had the backups on campus long enough to know if they are players or we need to find replacements. We aren't scrambling, so that kind of gives me the answer.

The backups may be players. We need to get THEIR backups in this cycle. T-Will landed three highly recruited good ones last year, but there were also a couple that got away and Moultry has been moved to buck. That's not a criticism, it happens, but I don't think this is any time to get complacent about linebackers. If we aren't scrambling now we need to have started scrambling yesterday.

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Mikey said:

The backups may be players. We need to get THEIR backups in this cycle. T-Will landed three highly recruited good ones last year, but there were also a couple that got away and Moultry has been moved to buck. That's not a criticism, it happens, but I don't think this is any time to get complacent about linebackers. If we aren't scrambling now we need to have started scrambling yesterday.

Davis Sr

Williams Sr

Atkinson Sr

Richard McBryde JR

Chandler Wooten So

K.J. Britt So

Josh Marsh Fr

Zakoby McClain Fr

Michael Harris Fr

HS signeees

 

To me that's a crowded position group, especially when the majority of the time only 2 are on the field at a time.  To me, we are no longer scrambling to fill, but rather maintaining the LB position.  The attrition rate you like to quote has not been applicable since TWill has taken over. Our development and retention rates are very high. JMO

 

To me, we have their backups backups on campus.

 

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now