Baptisms at the Athletics Complex

RunInRed

41 minutes ago, DAG said:

Well, all sin is not condoned by God, but that doesn't mean he wasn't a Man of God when he chose to do it. The comment above me says someone who is a follower of Christ wouldn't murder someone. David was by far a follower of God when he chose to do that.

I see where you went here, but let me give you something to consider. I don't think the 2 scenarios of murder given are comparable b/c they are 2 different concepts with different motivations. David's was caused by the sin of lust for one particular woman and that one sin led to another sin. David had the love of God in his heart but just simply fell into temptation which led him to commit 3 related sins ( lust, adultery, murder). Hatred is a sin which festers over time and grows and has absolutely nothing to do with the love of God. Hatred is something that a person is consumed by every day of their life and is of Satan, not of God. If someone is consumed with hate and is claiming to be a Christian, the first question that pops into my mind is are they really a Christian? The answer I lean to is no, but nobody really knows for sure except that person and God.

Also David repented of his sin and was a miserable man for committing them. Did the other men repent?

• Replies 820
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Tigerbelle said:

That's a very broad, all encompassing way of looking at it.

It is. It’s basically allowing for the absence of religion the opportunity to become a religion in itself. ?

4 minutes ago, selias said:

That's awful but IMHO teaching something is vastly different than using a small pool to baptize someone who is just consummating their decision.

10 minutes ago, Tigerbelle said:

That's a very broad, all encompassing way of looking at it. Most people, if you ask them what "religion" they are will not answer sincerely with "football". It would be limited to something like Baptist, Catholic, Jewish....and I was answering within that context.  My cultural anthropology professor defined it as this:  that agnostics have religious beliefs but do not align with any particular religious doctrine. He also taught us that atheists are not religious at all and don't believe in any religious ideals. He would not classify atheism as a specific,defined religion. What it has become in this country in the last 40 years is a political and legal philosophy.

I think one thing that muddies the waters is that all atheists (like theists) are not the same.  There are the strident anti-theists ( the so-called New Atheists like Richard Dawkins, Daniel Dennett and the late Christopher Hitchens); there are those who don't really think much about it one way or another or haven't up to this point ("Apatheists");  then there are atheists who agree that the case for theism is a compelling one, but, for whatever reason, can't bring themselves to go there.

One could make the case that the first group can bear resemblances  to a religion - often, in attempt to make a mockery of religion.

Then, there is this: http://firstchurchofatheism.com/

Who would have dreamed we could have 26 pages and counting re. a baptism in a small pool at Auburn. But is has been interesting and rewarding to me to listen to everyone's opinions and "theology." I think I will bow out at this point but something may tempt me to sin and post something again;D

25 minutes ago, ArgoEagle said:

I see where you went here, but let me give you something to consider. I don't think the 2 scenarios of murder given are comparable b/c they are 2 different concepts with different motivations. David's was caused by the sin of lust for one particular woman and that one sin led to another sin. David had the love of God in his heart but just simply fell into temptation which led him to commit 3 related sins ( lust, adultery, murder). Hatred is a sin which festers over time and grows and has absolutely nothing to do with the love of God. Hatred is something that a person is consumed by every day of their life and is of Satan, not of God. If someone is consumed with hate and is claiming to be a Christian, the first question that pops into my mind is are they really a Christian? The answer I lean to is no, but nobody really knows for sure except that person and God.

Also David repented of his sin and was a miserable man for committing them. Did the other men repent?

Fair enough . But murder is murder is murder. It doesn’t matter if you murdered someone because you lusting after someone or simply because you got caught in a stage of anger. You still murdered someone. Now this is what I want people to understand . The fact that he murdered someone does not make him less of a man of God. Part of that is due to the fact that he repentedbut he also had consequences . If you are a preacher and you just so happened in a moment of weakness to cheat on your spouse for whatever the reason. You are an adulterer , but that doesn’t make you less of a Christian if you are willing to repent and understand the consequences that will come with that knowing that Jesus blood covers his sin. At the end of the day he is still adulterer . He can’t run from that but he should use that for his story.  He should use that for his story of grace. 

Now to your point about hate. Yes hatred is a concept that I believe is not innate but learned and I agree wholeheartedly about that. However, he isn’t just talking about hate or murder. He says if you call someone a fool you risk being judged to hell fire. For example, I called tigerbelle stupid last year and was so immature for it. I deserved my ban. A comment like that , no matter where I may attribute it to, puts me on the judgement seat. Yes folks it’s true. See I find that Christians (general speaking) look at the big things but completely forget about “the little things” that also put you at judgement. I condemn myself for it, but I am so happy that I committed to Christ recently and have been working on myself ever since.

edit: so when we (including me) are all angry and we are calling Gus Malzahn out of his name...think about that. That’s the hard truth that people don’t want to see

21 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

That's awful but IMHO teaching something is vastly different than using a small pool to baptize someone who is just consummating their decision.

i actually agree. if there is no pressure and it is voluntary then by all means let them do what they wish.

14 minutes ago, DAG said:

Fair enough . But murder is murder is murder. It doesn’t matter if you murdered someone because you lusting after someone or simply because you got caught in a stage of anger. You still murdered someone. Now this is what I want people to understand . The fact that he murdered someone does not make him less of a man of God. Part of that is due to the fact that he repentedbut he also had consequences . If you are a preacher and you just so happened in a moment of weakness you cheat on your spouse for whatever the reason. You are an adulterer , but that doesn’t make you less of a Christian if you are willing to repent and understand the consequences that will come with that knowing that Jesus blood covers his sin. At the end of the day he is still adulterer . He can’t run from that but he should use that for his story.  He should use that for his story of grace. 

Now to your point about hate. Yes hatred is a concept that I believe is not innate but learned and I agree wholeheartedly about that. However, he isn’t just talking about hate or murder. He says if you call someone a fool you risk being judged to hell fire. For example, I called tigerbelle stupid last year and was so immature for it. I deserved my ban. A comment like that , no matter where I may attribute it to, puts me on the judgement seat. Yes folks it’s true. See I find that Christians (general speaking) look at the big things but completely forget about the little things that also put you at judgement. I condemn myself for it, but I am so happy that I committed to Christ recently and have been working on myself ever since.

I'm with you brother. If someone can't tell you are a Christian by your actions, you need to make some changes. And welcome to the Christian family.

4 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

i actually agree. if there is no pressure and it is voluntary then by all means let them do what they wish.

If you open the door to hand out Christian literature at school, you have to open it to all religions.

2 minutes ago, selias said:

If you open the door to hand out Christian literature at school, you have to open it to all religions.

i am confused but yes i spoke of this in the early pages of this thread. i am pretty sure it is the law. i knew about florida but had forgotten about colorado until it was mentioned again. a lot of people do not know but unless things changed atlanta has a huge satanic church that is their headquarters.............

well this has been interesting. i was going to do some running around town and got caught up in the discussion. talks like this can bring greater understanding and that is a good thing. AND more importantly i think for the post count the replies the class shown has been freaking amazing!

1 hour ago, triangletiger said:

One could make the case that the first group can bear resemblances  to a religion - often, in attempt to make a mockery of religion.

Even more so in the fact that they actively recruit, proselytize, and market their beliefs (or lack of beliefs). In many ways, they have become what they despise. 

3 hours ago, Proud Tiger said:

Easy to explain. Some Muslims, the true followers of Islam, BELIEVE it is their calling to kill infidels and thus they are terrorists to us. Just because a person says he is a Christian (follower of Christ) doesn't  mean he is or he wouldn't be killing people. Such a person  is obviously not true to the 10 Commandments, one of which says "Thou shall not kill."  That's 180 degrees from a literal follower of the Quaran.

Yes, those people are the Muslim equivalent of those Christian names @aubiefifty listed off for you. That's why they're called extremists. Followers understand that they aren't interpreting the holy book correctly and their not true believers or followers-- just as you said regarding those Christian names.

I grew up in a Muslim household -- trust me nobody except a small faction of twisted, uneducated, and easily preyed upon (lots of brainwashing has to happen to get these people to buy into such a sick concept) interprets the Quran in the manner you're speaking. You saying that is like me saying all Christians, the true followers of the Bible, subscribe to the KKK and all the drivel they spew because you see the KKK parading around touting Christianity. But the fact of the matter is you can twist any book that was written in an entirely different time to whatever narrative you want and some extremists take this to the another level -- an evil one -- in all religious groups. And those who aim to hurt or kill in the name of, or being influenced by, any religion at all makes them a terrorist.

On ‎3‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 4:48 PM, AUIH1 said:

My degree from AU is in Biology (Marine Biology to be specific) so I am well versed in science, theory and facts.  One of the most intelligent people I ever met was my Evolution and Systematics prof at AU (Dr. George Folkerts).  I also took ecology from him as well.  He was also a Deacon in his church.  He said that anyone who tries to tell you that evolution did not and does not occur is a fool.  He also said that anyone that says there is not a Creator guiding that evolution is also a fool.  There is no reason for the disconnect between science and God.  

wde

When I took Evolution and Systematics, I had Dr. Dolby. His first statement on the first day of class was that God had no place in that classroom and we should leave Him at the door. Guess that he and Dr. Folkerts had some different views! 

I have no problem with the baptisms at the athletic complex. Maybe the players asked to be baptized there? If they did, should they be told no?

1 hour ago, Tiger said:

Yes, those people are the Muslim equivalent of those Christian names @aubiefifty listed off for you. That's why they're called extremists. Followers understand that they aren't interpreting the holy book correctly and their not true believers or followers-- just as you said regarding those Christian names.

I grew up in a Muslim household -- trust me nobody except a small faction of twisted, uneducated, and easily preyed upon (lots of brainwashing has to happen to get these people to buy into such a sick concept) interprets the Quran in the manner you're speaking. You saying that is like me saying all Christians, the true followers of the Bible, subscribe to the KKK and all the drivel they spew because you see the KKK parading around touting Christianity. But the fact of the matter is you can twist any book that was written in an entirely different time to whatever narrative you want and some extremists take this to the another level -- an evil one -- in all religious groups. And those who aim to hurt or kill in the name of, or being influenced by, any religion at all makes them a terrorist.

Obviously you don't have the same understanding of Christianity as I do and maybe I have the same misunderstanding about Islamic TERRORISTS.  NONE of the names I saw mentioned were Christians. And I don't know any Christian or Christian organization who thinks God will reward them in "heaven" for killing innocent people. Some Islamic terrorists are going to be sorely disappointed. There aren't enough virgins in their heaven to provide the number of virgins they expect:Sing:

3 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

Obviously you don't have the same understanding of Christianity as I do and maybe I have the same misunderstanding about Islamic TERRORISTS.  NONE of the names aubiefifty mentioned were Christians. And I don't know any Christian or Christian organization who thinks God will reward them in "heaven" for killing innocent people. Some Islamic terrorists are going to be sorely disappointed. There aren't enough virgins in their heaven to provide the number of virgins they expect:Sing:

I think that there are certainly people who claim to be Christians who kill people/hurt people in the name of Christ. Those people COMPLETELY miss the point of Christianity and are sinning and may also be mentally ill. But I think that it is EXACTLY the same when Muslims kill people in the name of Allah. Those people COMPLETELY miss the point of Islam and are sinning and may also be mentally ill. I have only read about 1/2 of the Quran but have discussed it somewhat thoroughly with a devout Muslim. I believe that Islam is a religion of peace even though I believe they are wrong about who Jesus is and about God's punishment for sin.

As my Muslim friend explained to me, would you rather have your child supervised by a Muslim who believes in a divine being and who reveres Jesus, or would you rather have your child supervised by someone who believes that their own will is supreme?

6 minutes ago, Grumps said:

I think that there are certainly people who claim to be Christians who kill people/hurt people in the name of Christ. Those people COMPLETELY miss the point of Christianity and are sinning and may also be mentally ill. But I think that it is EXACTLY the same when Muslims kill people in the name of Allah. Those people COMPLETELY miss the point of Islam and are sinning and may also be mentally ill. I have only read about 1/2 of the Quran but have discussed it somewhat thoroughly with a devout Muslim. I believe that Islam is a religion of peace even though I believe they are wrong about who Jesus is and about God's punishment for sin.

Evil is evil, regardless of what group they profess to belong.

As my Muslim friend explained to me, would you rather have your child supervised by a Muslim who believes in a divine being and who reveres Jesus, or would you rather have your child supervised by someone who believes that their own will is supreme?

Religious people do not have a monopoly on good will, ethics, or morality.

4 minutes ago, selias said:

Evil is evil, regardless of what group they profess to belong.

Religious people do not have a monopoly on good will, ethics, or morality.

I agree with you again, religious people certainly do not have a monopoly on morality, but I still believe that IN GENERAL a person who willingly submits his/her life for someone else is more likely to be moral than is someone who lives for his/her own happiness. When I lived for my own happiness I was still a very moral and upright person, but I did not love my fellow man. But I was not intending to apply that non-religious people cannot be really good people.

2 minutes ago, Grumps said:

I agree with you again, religious people certainly do not have a monopoly on morality, but I still believe that IN GENERAL a person who willingly submits his/her life for someone else is more likely to be moral than is someone who lives for his/her own happiness. When I lived for my own happiness I was still a very moral and upright person, but I did not love my fellow man. But I was not intending to apply that non-religious people cannot be really good people.

Thank you for clarifying. I was about to be offended :)

Just now, Proud Tiger said:

Obviously you don't understand Christianity and maybe I have the same misunderstanding about Islamic TERRORISTS.  NONE the names aubiefifty mentioned were Christians. And I don't know any Christian or Christian organization who thinks God will reward them in "heaven" for killing innocent people. Some Islamic terrorists are going to be sorely disappointed. There aren't enough virgins in their heaven to provide the number of virgins they expect:Sing:

Leviticus 20 is difficult to reconcile.  I don't know anyone that has ever gone through with such activity, thankfully, but I know a ton of people who consider themselves love-thy-neighbor Christians that will drop verse 13 without batting an eye.

WDE!

13 minutes ago, Grumps said:

Non believers do good works for the sole purpose of what they get out of it, while the true Christian is doing good works to please God and serve others, not self! That’s the difference.

3 minutes ago, MadtownTiger said:

They say there's a little bit of God in all of us, even if we don't recognize Him.

Well, I hope He likes chimichangas, because that's what He's getting.

WDE!

There is as much God in us as we allow. As for the chimichangas He has expressed his desire for us to avoid anything hot :)

2 minutes ago, gr82be said:

There is as much God in us as we allow. As for the chimichangas He has expressed his desire for us to avoid anything hot :)

Elijah would disagree.

WDE!

12 minutes ago, toddc said:

Non believers do good works for the sole purpose of what they get out of it, while the true Christian is doing good works to please God and serve others, not self! That’s the difference.

Ok, I'm going to take umbrage with that. I try to be a good person because it's the right thing to do, not to please anyone (including myself) or anything. I am in a position to be able to help others so, I do what I can. I don't do it for any sort of self-satisfaction or for the greater glory of any particular deity. I do it, because it's the right thing to do. Climb down off your high horse, you are no better than anyone else.

Archived