Greene VS Jacobs

According to wikepedia Bobby Lowder is still alive.......boy do I feel bad.......thought he passed couple of years ago......forgive me Bobby.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, kevon67 said:

According to wikepedia Bobby Lowder is still alive.......boy do I feel bad.......thought he passed couple of years ago......forgive me Bobby.

Wow.. guess he ain't as old as I thought.

2 minutes ago, kevon67 said:

Lowder gets a bad rap. He is no where near the villain he is portrayed to be. He  had AU’s best interest with the things he did. 

1 hour ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

This times everything. Agree 100%. 

If Jay were still AD we would be going thru a basketball coaching search right now. 

Going to be some growing pains but Greene is off to a pretty strong start. 

In what way? His only comments have been that he is still evaluating the Athletic program? All the successes that have been happening this year in baseball and basketball and equestrian were not his doing. The great APR report for the 1-4 years has nothing to do with his administrative directives.

I just don't understand comparing him already unfairly to JJ. 

I want him to succeed. I want him to be better than JJ. But I have no clue what he will do, since he hasn't done anything outwardly to show that he has successes he has been responsibility. And I don't expect it to show this soon.

I too, would like the JJ talk to go away. I just want to hear whats good or bad now in our Auburn athletic dept to evaluate as a fan.

10 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

Can't wait to see all the good things Allen will do for Auburn.

3 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

In what way? His only comments have been that he is still evaluating the Athletic program? All the successes that have been happening this year in baseball and basketball and equestrian were not his doing. The great APR report for the 1-4 years has nothing to do with his administrative directives.

I want him to succeed. I want him to be better than JJ. But I have no clue what he will do, since he hasn't done anything outwardly to show that he has successes he has been responsibility. And I don't expect it to show this soon.

I too, would like the JJ talk to go away. I just want to hear whats good or bad now in our Auburn athletic dept to evaluate as a fan.

Patience.

Still Greene.

36 minutes ago, kevon67 said:

I don't think he is.......God forgive me if I am wrong.

Gotta give him some credit....paid most of the Business School Building and also their family donation that the Auburn Academic Facility possible.    He could be a problem but he put his money where his heart was.   and getting Tot run off.....can't hold that against him  can you?  

10 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Gotta give him some credit....paid most of the Business School Building and also their family donation that the Auburn Academic Facility possible.    He could be a problem but he put his money where his heart was.   and getting Tot run off.....can't hold that against him  can you?  

No.  That was heroic in my corner of the world.

Tot had a vision of AU football that was bordering on creepy.

3 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

74......I thought he was closer to 84........Then again I thought he had passed, so what hell do I know?

2 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

No.  That was heroic in my corner of the world.

Tot had a vision of AU football that was bordering on creepy.

Tot did make a talented team believe they could win for 2yrs.......He was clueless after that.

Surviving the Tot era of Auburn Football is the main reason I dont hit the panic button when Coach Gus makes some bone head decisions.......

Those Tot dark years were extremley low?

On 5/3/2018 at 8:57 AM, NolaAuTiger said:

Greene definitely has more swag

More swag, but not more experience. Obviously, I hope Greene all the best! But why can’t a program like Auburn, hire an extremely qualified, extremely experienced, athletic director. Is that asking too much?

7 hours ago, steeleagle said:

That’s because he has zero experience in running an athletic program as vast as AU’s.

Please don’t compare his assistant to the assistant at another university, as experience.

I wish him all the best, but a program like Auburn, deserves someone more qualified and more experienced than he.

3 hours ago, kevon67 said:

Surviving the Tot era of Auburn Football is the main reason I dont hit the panic button when Coach Gus makes some bone head decisions.......

Those Tot dark years were extremley low?

I'll  never understand the negativity toward the Bowden years. We finished top 25 every year, never lost more than 4 games a year. We're first in the West 2 years, second 2 years, and third one, went undefeated one year, had a 9 win season (with 1 tie) and a 10 win season, and won 2 of 3 bowl games. The only bad year he had was the year the cabal took him down in an attempt to put Brother Oliver at the helm and get back to Pat Dye football.

I'm not saying I'm a huge fan or anything, but the numbers don't match the stories.

20 minutes ago, AU-24 said:

More swag, but not more experience. Obviously, I hope Greene all the best! But why can’t a program like Auburn, hire an extremely qualified, extremely experienced, athletic director. Is that asking too much?

Are you going to reference somebody ? At least do that if you are going to make that statement.

5 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

I'll  never understand the negativity toward the Bowden years. We finished top 25 every year, never lost more than 4 games a year. We're first in the West 2 years, second 2 years, and third one, went undefeated one year, had a 9 win season (with 1 tie) and a 10 win season, and won 2 of 3 bowl games. The only bad year he had was the year the cabal took him down in an attempt to put Brother Oliver at the helm and get back to Pat Dye football.

I'm not saying I'm a huge fan or anything, but the numbers don't match the stories.

His final year had less to do with Pat Dye football and more to do with picking the wrong person to have an affair.......yea his wikepedia numbers look nice but basically dont tell the whole story.

8 hours ago, AU-24 said:

You don’t need experience when you got swag.

Greene is young and has some impressive accomplishments. I think he’ll work out just fine. Lots of seasoned ADs in the country who have suffering programs.

Well taken though.

7 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

He cheated

9 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

I can't speak for everyone..... obviously...... but I have had conversations over the years with others in agreement regarding the poor opinion of Tot.

There were multiple factors from on-field to behind the scenes that just felt.....wrong. 

Some of my personal issues with him were the direction of the team's style and how he seemed to want model it after Diddy at FreeShoesU. 

Character is important to me, and I know some on this board might not care that much, but Tot was starting to freely recruit questionable character kids based on Diddy's model (we all agree FSU has had a slimy feel for decades).  Not saying all were bad but some with open drug histories, etc (even dealers).  I'm not naming names cuz I'm not here to throw college kids under the bus but many will remember those I'm talking about, etc.

His offensive model was deteriorating once he used up Dye's players.  He apparently wanted to be so pass happy that he was completely neglecting the recruitment of RB's post Stephen Davis.  And many will agree that he didn't even use SD to his full potential.

Just a few quick Google searches produce the following stats...  You're a stats guy, right?

Look at '96.  Leading rusher Rusty Williams at 439 yds  ...and it took 3 backs combined to top 1000 yds as a team.  Frankly the better back was Fred Beasley, who was a Fullback by trade.

'97, again Rusty Williams who led the team with a whopping 277 yds rushing. ...let that sink in... That's the year we were all excited about that beast he recruited, Demontray Carter who weighed all of 160 lbs (and we complain about Kam Martin at 190+?)... I'm honestly not sure AU even topped 1K in rushing that year. ...maybe with Dameyune Craig's help they did.

'98, the leading rusher was that Nebraska transfer, guess he couldn't make their team, Michael Burks with, again, not even 500 yds rushing on the season.  The player with the best per carry avg for the year?  That beast, D. Carter at 3.7 yds per carry. 

Whether you want a run heavy bulldozer offense or a balanced offense I think most agree you're probably not going to get it done in the SEC for any sustainable success with NO run game.

And I'm not even going to get into the questionable personal issues as somebody else alluded to...  But with outside factors I'm not sure Tot was even focused the way he should have been the last 3-4 years at AU.

And there's more....it would just be too long to continue....

25 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

I can't speak for everyone..... obviously...... but I have had conversations over the years with others in agreement regarding the poor opinion of Tot.

There were multiple factors from on-field to behind the scenes that just felt.....wrong. 

Some of my personal issues with him were the direction of the team's style and how he seemed to want model it after Diddy at FreeShoesU. 

Character is important to me, and I know some on this board might not care that much, and Tot was starting to freely recruit questionable character kids based on Diddy's model (we all agree FSU has had a slimy feel for decades).  Not saying all were bad but some with open drug histories, etc (even dealers).  I'm not naming names cuz I'm not here to throw college kids under the bus but many will remember those I'm talking about, etc.

His offensive model was deteriorating once he used up Dye's players.  He apparently wanted to be so pass happy that he was completely neglecting the recruitment of RB's post Stephen Davis.  And many will agree that he didn't even use SD to his full potential.

Just a few quick Google searches produce the following stats...  You're a stats guy, right?

Look at '96.  Leading rusher Rusty Williams at 439 yds  ...and it took 3 backs combined to top 1000 yds as a team.  Frankly the better back was Fred Beasley, who was a Fullback by trade.

'97, again Rusty Williams who led the team with a whopping 277 yds rushing. ...let that sink in... That's the year we were all excited about that beast he recruited, Demontray Carter who weighed all of 160 lbs (and we complain about Kam Martin at 190+?)... I'm honestly not sure AU even topped 1K in rushing that year. ...maybe with Dameyune Craig's help they did.

'98, the leading rusher was that Nebraska transfer, guess he couldn't make their team, Michael Burks with, again, not even 500 yds rushing on the season.  The player with the best per carry avg for the year?  That beast, D. Carter at 3.7 yds per carry. 

Whether you want a run heavy bulldozer offense or a balanced offense I think most agree you're probably not going to get it done in the SEC for any sustainable success with NO run game.

And I'm not even going to get into the questionable personal issues as somebody else alluded to...  But with outside factors I'm not sure Tot was even focused the way he should have been the last 3-4 years at AU.

Thanks. I definitely agree about the recruiting choices and questionable personal issues. If the rumors were true, he was no better than Petrino and I want nothing to do with that. If other rumors are true, he was a phone call from a bama fan and an NCAA investigation away from more probation, too.

I'm really just speaking about on the field performance, as people compare it to Gus and refer to it in the same manner they do the Barfield era. The thing about on the field is, even with the minimal running numbers, he was getting it done. The last year before his ousting, we went 10-3, lost the SEC Championship by 1 point to a Peyton Manning lead team, and beat Clemson in our bowl game.

The one thing I know for a fact is that he wasn't pushed out because of his off the field antics or his on the field performance. He was pushed out because Lowder, Rane, etc wanted to return to Pat Dye football and believed Bill Oliver was the answer. Unfortunately for Brother Oliver (but probably fortunately for the program), he blew his audition in dramatic fashion, which lead to Tubberville coming to the Plains. It should be noted that history almost repeated it self when the same group of boosters decided they didn't like how Tubberville was doing things and tried to replace him with Petrino (which is proof that they didn't care about character). 

18 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

Sure hope not...he was a couple years behind me in Business School.....and it is an uncomfortable feeling to read obits for people younger than me. 

5 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Thanks. I definitely agree about the recruiting choices and questionable personal issues. If the rumors were true, he was no better than Petrino and I want nothing to do with that. If other rumors are true, he was a phone call from a bama fan and an NCAA investigation away from more probation, too.

Yes.  And I'm sure there was even more.  It's an "after the fact" sorta thing but I even remember after he was fired, him trying to sorta pull an Eric Ramsey and say enough on TV/Radio etc to create an investigation.....of HIMSELF.  He was literally biting his nose off to spite his face.  I just don't have a high opinion of him.

11 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

I'm really just speaking about on the field performance, as people compare it to Gus and refer to it in the same manner they do the Barfield era. The thing about on the field is, even with the minimal running numbers, he was getting it done. The last year before his ousting, we went 10-3, lost the SEC Championship by 1 point to a Peyton Manning lead team, and beat Clemson in our bowl game.

Sure, they had decent results.  It was just maddening to watch knowing that the trend was heading the wrong direction.  1998 was more than just certain people wanting him out.  It was an example of what was to come Post-Damayune Craig.  AU doesn't have DC in 96-97, you're looking at a very poor team.  Much like Cam, his abilities alone were worth victories.  Note, too, I'm not really knocking AU's defenses at the time.  They were sorta like the D "now" (the last couple seasons).  Kept AU in games their offense had no business winning.  

18 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

The one thing I know for a fact is that he wasn't pushed out because of his off the field antics or his on the field performance. He was pushed out because Lowder, Rane, etc wanted to return to Pat Dye football and believed Bill Oliver was the answer. Unfortunately for Brother Oliver (but probably fortunately for the program), he blew his audition in dramatic fashion, which lead to Tubberville coming to the Plains. It should be noted that history almost repeated it self when the same group of boosters decided they didn't like how Tubberville was doing things and tried to replace him with Petrino (which is proof that they didn't care about character). 

Like I said, I don't believe'98 was ALL about the boosters BUT I don't disagree that they played a big part.  Keep in mind though, they felt this way because they formulated the same opinions of Tot as so many of us fans.  And in the end, they're just fans with money & influence.

1 minute ago, AU64 said:

Sure hope not...he was a couple years behind me in Business School.....and it is an uncomfortable feeling to read obits for people younger than me. 

Not sure why but I thought he was in his upper 60's during the Dye years.  I didn't realize how young he was then.  But then, in the '80's I was a kid (graduated HS in '90), so everyone over 25 was "old" to me.  HaHa!

1 minute ago, AUsince72 said:

Yes.  And I'm sure there was even more.  It's an "after the fact" sorta thing but I even remember after he was fired, him trying to sorta pull an Eric Ramsey and say enough on TV/Radio etc to create an investigation.....of HIMSELF.  He was literally biting his nose off to spite his face.  I just don't have a high opinion of him.

Sure, they had decent results.  It was just maddening to watch knowing that the trend was heading the wrong direction.  1998 was more than just certain people wanting him out.  It was an example of what was to come Post-Damayune Craig.  AU doesn't have DC in 96-97, you're looking at a very poor team.  Much like Cam, his abilities alone were worth victories.  Note, too, I'm not really knocking AU's defenses at the time.  They were sorta like the D "now" (the last couple seasons).  Kept AU in games their offense had no business winning.  

Like I said, I don't believe'98 was ALL about the boosters BUT I don't disagree that they played a big part.  Keep in mind though, they felt this way because they formulated the same opinions of Tot as so many of us fans.  And in the end, they're just fans with money & influence.

Could be wrong but going after Petrino was a reaction to his time at AU and maybe before much about his character had been revealed.......but years later when some folks were wanting to give him a shot after Chiz....when lots was known about him from Arky and the Falcons.....that was inexcusable. JMO

18 hours ago, kevon67 said:

Lowder is very much alive. I see him around town every now and then. He is always friendly. Not the kind of evil person a lot of folks make him out to be. I don't agree with him on a lot of things but my attitude has always been if you don't like his meddling don't take his money. Same for the other GOBs.

I like JJ as a person and think he did a  good job improving facilities. But it was time for him to move on.

I had a chance to talk to Greene A-Day at the A-Club lunch. First impression very favorable. Just needs to get over his fascination with ND and learn a lot of folks in the South aren't big ND fans;D

Archived