Freshmen could contribute

aubiefifty

AUBURN FOOTBALL: Freshmen could contribute in 2018 | Sports

Josh Vitale For the TimesDaily

4-5 minutes

AUBURN — Auburn added 13 scholarship newcomers to its roster late last week and will add at least four more later this summer.

What role might those players have in the fall? Perhaps a bigger one than they might have had in years past.

Until this year, many of the summer arrivals might have trended toward redshirting their true freshman campaigns. That may still be the case for some, if not most of them. But because of a new rule passed by the NCAA Division I football council last week, players are now allowed to appear in up to four games and still take a redshirt, maintaining four years of eligibility.

Here’s a closer look at those newcomers — 16 true freshmen and a junior graduate transfer — position by position:

RB — Harold Joiner, Shaun Shivers

These two players could not be more different, but both could carve out unique roles in Auburn’s running back corps as soon as this season.

Joiner (6-foot-4, 213 pounds) is listed as a running back but viewed by the Tigers as a hybrid talent who could play H-back and tight end.

The 5-foot-7, 173-pound Shivers rushed for 2,141 yards for a state champion Chaminade-Madonna Prep team and was among the fastest sprinters in Florida as a senior. He could quickly become a factor in the Tigers’ perimeter run game.

WR — Matthew Hill, Anthony Schwartz, Seth Williams

Schwartz hasn’t arrived on campus (he’s still running his way through the summer track circuit), but once he does, his speed could give him an opportunity at wide receiver while Eli Stove and Will Hastings continue their recovery from ACL injuries.

Those injuries could also open up more opportunities for the bigger Hill and Williams, but they’ll have to fight with the more established Darius Slayton, Nate Craig-Myers and Marquis McClain for touches on the outside.

OL — Jack Driscoll, Jalil Irvin, Kameron Stutts

New (and also returning) offensive line coach J.B. Grimes didn’t recruit either Irvin or Stutts, but he sees the former at center and the latter at guard. Given what Auburn already has at both spots, it’s unlikely that either player sees the field much this season, if at all.

Driscoll, on the other hand, should be a real factor this fall. The graduate transfer from UMass has two years of eligibility remaining — and head coach Gus Malzahn already has stated that he’ll be a part of the competition at right tackle. The newcomer starting opposite Price Tega Wanogho on Auburn’s Week 1 offensive line is possible.

DL — Richard Jibunor, Caleb Johnson, Coynis Miller, Kayode Oladele

There might be no area of the roster deeper than defensive line, where the Tigers return nine veterans. Jibunor at buck, Johnson and Oladele at defensive end, and Miller at tackle will team up with versatile JUCO signee Daquan Newkirk (coming off an Achilles injury) to compete for playing time behind the talented holdovers from last season.

LB — Michael Harris, Zakoby McClain

Harris and McClain are probably headed the way of K.J. Britt and Chandler Wooten, who were Auburn’s two freshmen at the position last year and spent most of their time playing on special teams and as reserves. 

DB — Roger McCreary

Auburn already has Jamel Dean, Javaris Davis, Noah Igbinoghene, Jordyn Peters, John Broussard Jr. and Traivon Leonard, among others, at cornerback and nickel. The Tigers’ coaching staff likes the speedy three-star corner from Mobile, but he’ll have plenty of competition ahead of him on the depth chart.

ATH — Kolbi Fuqua

Fuqua played both wide receiver and defensive back at Cordova High and is listed at both positions on Auburn’s roster. Malzahn pointed to him as someone who could play both sides of the ball when he signed in February. 

P — Arryn Siposs

Perhaps none of Auburn’s 17 newcomers are headed for a bigger role than the former professional Australian rules football player, who might have sewn up the starting punter gig as soon as he signed his letter of intent. The Tigers ranked 102nd nationally averaging 39.47 yards per punt in 2017. Siposs comes from the home of the last five Ray Guy Award winners and has a cannon for a leg.

So pumped about the redshirt rule as long as we use it. 

I have a feeling that it's going to be a true pleasure to see just how much of a difference the addition of a top notch punter makes in our ability to run the table in the SEC. It's amazing just how much not having one makes negatives on the field that much worse. 

58 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

I have a feeling that it's going to be a true pleasure to see just how much of a difference the addition of a top notch punter makes in our ability to run the table in the SEC. It's amazing just how much not having one makes negatives on the field that much worse. 

Might be too early, but do we expect him to line up and kick the traditional way?  I'm not a huge fan of the running sideways and kicking it style.

3 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

The 5-foot-7, 173-pound Shivers

Please be the :au: version of Noel Devine, or maybe Sproles.  ;)

44 minutes ago, stoic-one said:

Please be the :au: version of Noel Devine, or maybe Sproles.  ;)

Nice. I would guess more Sproles than Devine. He's a compact, thick dude and he's got some pop to him. Of course, he might be faster than both.

(I've mentioned Devine (and McCluster) as examples of smaller guys who got a lot of carries, but Sproles is probably the better comparison.)

3 hours ago, atl-tiger said:

Might be too early, but do we expect him to line up and kick the traditional way?  I'm not a huge fan of the running sideways and kicking it style.

Can't be sure, but every video I've seen of him he has been doing traditional kicks.

Hoping Coynis gets here soon and Newkirk heals in time for fall. With projected losses on the D Line next year, we need them to get all of the Rodney Reps they can to be game ready in 2019. 

On 6/19/2018 at 1:49 PM, atl-tiger said:

I am pretty sure he can kick both ways.  With his size and running ability, I would hope they would do both so that they could run fakes out of either style.

We will need the added depth at WR with the injuries.  Also you can never have too much depth at DL...  Have we ever had more interest at Seeing a New punter?  Speed galore at the WR position....

Just think shivers is a program great before he leaves AU. Just personal opinion but he has the intangibles and plays with a chip on his shoulder. I think he does special things here.

9 hours ago, Maverick.AU said:

Just think shivers is a program great before he leaves AU. Just personal opinion but he has the intangibles and plays with a chip on his shoulder. I think he does special things here.

Based on his measurables size and weight you are wrong. That said I agree with you there is something about him that makes me think he is going to be one of the ones that defies the odds and proves these is more to being a football player than size.

16 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Based on his measurables size and weight you are wrong. That said I agree with you there is something about him that makes me think he is going to be one of the ones that defies the odds and proves these is more to being a football player than size.

I'm truly curious if other fanbases get as hung up on measurables as ours does. It's laughable. Not a shot at you, btw. You're right that successful RBs at his size are uncommon, but there are multiple examples and not many of them have had the world class speed that he does to go with the compact frame, ball carrying skills and, as @Maverick.AU said, intangibles. 

If we typed up Shivers's entire resume and only left out his height and weight, and CGIed a 200lb guy into his highlight videos, people 'round here would be losing their damned minds over this guy. I already am. Can't. Wait. 

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

I'm truly curious if other fanbases get as hung up on measurables as ours does. It's laughable. Not a shot at you, btw. You're right that successful RBs at his size are uncommon, but there are multiple examples and not many of them have had the world class speed that he does to go with the compact frame, ball carrying skills and, as @Maverick.AU said, intangibles. 

If we typed up Shivers's entire resume and only left out his height and weight, and CGIed a 200lb guy into his highlight videos, people 'round here would be losing their damned minds over this guy. I already am. Can't. Wait. 

Auburn has a current, supposed, RB1 who's PT up to now might be a victim of worrying about "measurables".

27 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Auburn has a current, supposed, RB1 who's PT up to now might be a victim of worrying about "measurables".

While I was an early adopter and agree with you to an extent, I have to admit that he has put some shortcomings on tape. HOWEVER, none of them have had anything to do with his ability to carry a football, between or outside the tackles. Some will cite ball security, but he hasn't gotten enough chances to demonstrate whether or not that's a legit concern. (Obviously Gus isn't overly interested in giving skill players time and opportunities to hone their craft.)

25 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

While I was an early adopter and agree with you to an extent, I have to admit that he has put some shortcomings on tape. HOWEVER, none of them have had anything to do with his ability to carry a football, between or outside the tackles. Some will cite ball security, but he hasn't gotten enough chances to demonstrate whether or not that's a legit concern. (Obviously Gus isn't overly interested in giving skill players time and opportunities to hone their craft.)

I agree that there may be shortcomings and obviously I don't see what the coaches see at practice.  But what I have seen, in games, is a guy who has done nothing but produce....when actually called upon.

He's probably not a 25 carry per game back, but coupled with another back or two (see thUga's recent RB history) I imagine he's got 15 in him.

As for fumbling?  Certainly a bugaboo but unless it is chronic, I'm not a proponent of never giving a guy a chance or two to make amends.  But maybe that's unrelated to KM's situation...

12 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

I agree that there may be shortcomings and obviously I don't see what the coaches see at practice.  But what I have seen, in games, is a guy who has done nothing but produce....when actually called upon.

He's probably not a 25 carry per game back, but coupled with another back or two (see thUga's recent RB history) I imagine he's got 15 in him.

As for fumbling?  Certainly a bugaboo but unless it is chronic, I'm not a proponent of never giving a guy a chance or two to make amends.  But maybe that's unrelated to KM's situation...

Totally agree. 

13 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Archie Griffin was only 5' 8" or 5' 9" and he had a pretty decent college career. He had no problem carrying the rock as many times as they would give it to him.

On 6/22/2018 at 9:29 PM, LakeBum said:

Archie Griffin was only 5' 8" or 5' 9" and he had a pretty decent college career. He had no problem carrying the rock as many times as they would give it to him.

You mean the only 2x heisman winner EVER, Archie Griffin? Wow what a comparison.

1 minute ago, DAG said:

You mean the only 2x heisman winner EVER, Archie Griffin? Wow what a comparison.

Or, for another example small in stature, large in heart, perhaps many have never heard of Rufus Ferguson. When he left the University of Wisconsin, he was their leading career rusher and first rusher to have 1000 yards in a season.  He was 5' 4" and 200 lbs.  

5 minutes ago, LakeBum said:

Or, for another example small in stature, large in heart, perhaps many have never heard of Rufus Ferguson. When he left the University of Wisconsin, he was their leading career rusher and first rusher to have 1000 yards in a season.  He was 5' 4" and 200 lbs.  

I wasn’t dissing your example. I was saying if he can get to that point we will be lucky. I think he can be special if, IF, the coaching staff (Gus) trust his RB coach and OC.

24 minutes ago, DAG said:

I wasn’t dissing your example. I was saying if he can get to that point we will be lucky. I think he can be special if, IF, the coaching staff (Gus) trust his RB coach and OC.

I know you weren't.   I just wanted to bring up one of my favorite running backs not from Auburn.  Nothing like hearing the entire stadium yelling RUFFFF, as he squirts through the line and takes it to the house, especially against Ohio St.

Let's just cross our fingers that maybe this season Gus won't take one RB and ride him into ground before season's end, and rather utilize the whole group, even integrating them into the passing game..and I'm not talking about bringing one RB into the game for one specific, very telegraphed screen play occasionally...cough, Devan Barrett cough. 

1 minute ago, johnnyAU said:

Let's just cross our fingers that maybe this season Gus won't take one RB and ride him into ground before season's end, and rather utilize the whole group, even integrating them into the passing game..and I'm not talking about bringing one RB into the game for one specific, very telegraphed screen play occasionally...cough, Devan Barrett cough. 

Signed,

Most of Us

War Eagle.

Archived