The Opening (June 30-July 3)

ellitor

11 hours ago, corchjay said:

Not kicking you to the curb but you're wrong.  

All offenses look "basic" when you watch 10-12 games a year of the offense.  They all have tendencies and base plays. 

Ask any fan base and you'll find a complaint about play calling regardless of success.  They want to run more, they want to pass more, they want deep passes, they want short passes, they want the TE involved, they want some trickeration, they want to over power the opponent...  

We must have the most talented players in the world because our offensive numbers have been top 3ish in the conf just about all the years Gus has been here running his basic offense. 

Thank you corch. AU threw for the 3rd most team yds in the conference last year and Stidham threw for the 2nd most individual yards in the conference. Our passing offense was very good last year. Sorry if there were not enough slants, intermediate routes or individual receivers with a 1000 yds that so many experts on this board would like to have. I will take the overall total results every day of the week with this passing.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 80Tiger said:

Thank you corch. AU threw for the 3rd most team yds in the conference last year and Stidham threw for the 2nd most individual yards in the conference. Our passing offense was very good last year. Sorry if there were not enough slants, intermediate routes or individual receivers with a 1000 yds that so many experts on this board would like to have. I will take the overall total results every day of the week with this passing.

Glad those big stats helped us so much against Clemson, in the 2nd half of the LSU game and in the SEC championship game. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The Auburn commit threw the most touchdowns on the day with 15, and was able to hit on several big plays down the field to earn 'Alpha Dog' honors of the quarterback group. While other quarterbacks worked underneath routes, it was Nix that willing to take chances on vertical routes. The Pinson (Ala.) Pinson Valley product was the most consistent signal caller from start to finish, but he really came on strong during tournament play. Nix’s final stat line on Monday was 70 of 94 passing, completing 74-percent of his throws even with four drops by his wide receivers to ding that rate. Nix did throw three interceptions on the day, but 50 percent of his drives ended in scores. 

247Sports Composite Dual-Threat

Bo looks great in 7-7 moves to top spot! Came from 247.

Edited by toddc

34 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Glad those big stats helped us so much against Clemson, in the 2nd half of the LSU game and in the SEC championship game. 

Yes, we lost some games but we won some big games and passing was a big part of those wins. Not trying to make excuses but the Clemson game was the first live action for Stidham in 2 years. The LSU game was a cluster no doubt, but the defense had some skin in this loss also especially right before the first half and the UGA game we were beat up and running out of gas. Would have throwing more slants and some 15 yd hook patterns made a difference in those games? I don't know, maybe and maybe not. The fact is that we had a passing game that was better than most teams in the SEC and those numbers didn't all come against patsies. They came against some very good teams.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, 80Tiger said:

Yes, we lost some games but we won some big games and passing was a big part of those wins. Not trying to make excuses but the Clemson game was the first live action for Stidham in 2 years. The LSU game was a cluster no doubt, but the defense had some skin in this loss also especially right before the first half and the UGA game we were beat up and running out of gas. Would have throwing more slants and some 15 yd hook patterns made a difference in those games? I don't know, maybe and maybe not. The fact is that we had a passing game that was better than most teams in the SEC and those numbers didn't all come against patsies. They came against some very good teams.

The lack of diversity and field limitation is what kills.  Think of it as a basketball game where one team can only shoot if they are in the lane.  That's us. We basically only throw beyond 20 or within 5 yards.  That self limitation makes our passing game much easier to defend and scheme against.  If a defense can defend a deep post, a fly, a wr screen, a rail, or a hb swing, then they have covered 90% of our routes. We never attack the MoF. If we open up the MoF then our offense becomes much more dangerous and more difficult to defend. Doing so allows us to open up all areas of the game better.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Love 1

13 minutes ago, bigbird said:

The lack of diversity and field limitation is what kills.  Think of it as a basketball game where one team can only shoot if they are in the lane.  That's us. We basically only throw beyond 20 or within 5 yards.  That self limitation makes our passing game much easier to defend and scheme against.  If a defense can defend a deep post, a fly, a wr screen, a rail, or a hb swing, then they have covered 90% of our routes. We never attack the MoF. If we open up the MoF then our offense becomes much more dangerous and more difficult to defend. Doing so allows us to open up all areas of the game better.

Used all my Likes so: 

XliF.gif

• Love 1
  • Haha 3

8 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Well, we did attack the middle of the field so never is not the right word; maybe not as much as other parts of the field. If we are completing the passes we do throw at a 66% clip, then what  exactly is getting killed?  I would make the argument that the defenses were not able to defend the routes you listed on a very consistent basis last year, hence our ability to throw for a lot of yards at a high percentage. On those games we lost, would running more of the routes you listed made a difference? Maybe or maybe not. I believe in those losses our running game was not very good either. So is it possible that the lack of a competent running game led to the lackluster passing game in the losses?

Do we need to expand our passing offense for this upcoming year? Sure I agree completely, but my argument is that last years passing offense was good; very good and to see many on here making statements that our "lack" of passing game is going to run recruits away is not a valid argument IMO.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, auburnphan said:

Nix has a very high football IQ for his age.  His ability to process information is what separates him from the pack.  Pat has clearly showed him how to use the film room to his advantage.  If he continues to develop in this area we will have a 4 year starter.  Gatewood could get there but his high schooling has put him at a disadvantage missing so many reps.  Malik is a wild card as well.  Both are behind when it comes to reading defenses and decision making.  Some of that is made up for by their playmaking ability.

Thank you, thank you, thank you

12 hours ago, doc4aday said:

I think our offense will be better than in 2017 with a more dynamic passing game. 

I mean we've been saying this since 2013 so we got to get it right eventually you'd think

Guys stay focused on The Opening. It is still a hot & on going thing. Save discussion of last season or Gus's pass philosophy for a couple days or take it somewhere else please. Thank you!

If the NFL has a youtube feed of the 7 on 7 championships I will post it.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, 80Tiger said:

Well, we did attack the middle of the field so never is not the right word; maybe not as much as other parts of the field. If we are completing the passes we do throw at a 66% clip, then what  exactly is getting killed?  I would make the argument that the defenses were not able to defend the routes you listed on a very consistent basis last year, hence our ability to throw for a lot of yards at a high percentage. On those games we lost, would running more of the routes you listed made a difference? Maybe or maybe not. I believe in those losses our running game was not very good either. So is it possible that the lack of a competent running game led to the lackluster passing game in the losses?

Do we need to expand our passing offense for this upcoming year? Sure I agree completely, but my argument is that last years passing offense was good; very good and to see many on here making statements that our "lack" of passing game is going to run recruits away is not a valid argument IMO.

to sum it up, we could have been better.

• Love 1

1 hour ago, toddc said:

The Auburn commit threw the most touchdowns on the day with 15, and was able to hit on several big plays down the field to earn 'Alpha Dog' honors of the quarterback group. While other quarterbacks worked underneath routes, it was Nix that willing to take chances on vertical routes. The Pinson (Ala.) Pinson Valley product was the most consistent signal caller from start to finish, but he really came on strong during tournament play. Nix’s final stat line on Monday was 70 of 94 passing, completing 74-percent of his throws even with four drops by his wide receivers to ding that rate. Nix did throw three interceptions on the day, but 50 percent of his drives ended in scores. 

247Sports Composite Dual-Threat

Bo looks great in 7-7 moves to top spot! Came from 247.

https://www.aufamily.com/forums/topic/162961-the-opening-june-30-july-3/?do=findComment&comment=2880244

• Thanks 1

Think of it this way.  You have a company that makes 100 widgets a day. That qty exceeds your competition by 20/day.  However, you have the manufacturing infrastructure, technology, and work force to produce 250/day. Are you being a successful company?

Also...The opening has been good for our recruits/commits. ?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

Think of it this way.  You have a company that makes 100 widgets a day. That qty exceeds your competition by 20/day.  However, you have the manufacturing infrastructure, technology, and work force to produce 250/day. Are you being a successful company?

Also...The opening has been good for our recruits/commits. ?

It reminds me of when the Alabama legislature was debating changing the beer laws. One senator or representative- don't remember which- was famously quoted as saying, "What's wrong with Budweiser? It drink real good, don't it?"

I think we should rename The Opening to The Auburning. 

15 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Bo #10. George #9.

They mentioned Pappoe's not playing as he had to "take a test" fwiw...

Dilfer's giving sparkling reviews of Bo too....

Great throw by Bo to Blaylock gives Boomin a 26-0 lead. 2 point conversion to Haselwood. Dilfer saying great things about Bo. Says Bo is the Elite 11 MVP leader. Dilfer makes the call on who wins it.

Bo just threw a pick 6 because the WR didn't come back on the hook route. Bo's 1st pick in over 100 throws per Dilfer. 25-6.

11 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Boomin wins 31-6. Advance to the championship game.

Do you know if there's any way to watch a replay of the game?

1 minute ago, WFE12 said:

Do you know if there's any way to watch a replay of the game?

Not right now. They may group all the 7 on 7 games in 1 replay video like they did with the individual events.