RB2

Obviously it’s looking like Martin will be RB1. So, who do we think will be RB2 this season?  The options are: 

Devan Barrett (so.)- showed his speed his freshman year but got limited attempts 

Asa Martin (fr.)- my personal pick. Alabama player of the year. Ranked #9 nationally in high school. Wouldn’t be surprised to see him get a lot of snaps 

Jatarvious Whitlow (R-Fr.)- don’t know much about him but apparently the coaches really love him. Got hurt in camp last season and missed the 2017 season. Interested to see what the buzz is about. 

Malik Miller (So.)- Showed promise during the few touches he had 

CJ Tolbert (Sr.)- had an impressive A-day 

Shaun Shivers (Fr.)- ZOOM 

we’ll revisit this thread during the season! By the way, I like all our RBs this season and think it’ll be a hard choice for Gus and staff. 

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Boobie. Dude ran hard at the A-Day game. Questions are his blocking and catching. Looks to be very special.

Don't forget about Harold Joiner, although he might be more of a CJ Uzomah/Mario Fannin hybrid. 

Barrett moved to WR, so it won't be him.

Tolbert will continue to get traditional walk-on reps. Look for him to have a big role on Senior Day.

I see Shivers cutting his teeth in the flanker/jet sweep spot, but I could be wrong. I do see him lining up in the backfield at some point. Just might be hard for him to get in the mix this season.

Miller and Whitlow would seem to have less diverse skill sets than the Martins, but who knows. 

If there is a 3-back rotation, with RB2A and 2B totaling approximately the same number of carries as RB1 (vs *all* other RBs combined not equaling his carries and the next 2 RBs combining for about half), I would probably guess it's the Martins and Whitlow, with Miller a dark horse. 

45 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Don't forget about Harold Joiner, although he might be more of a CJ Uzomah/Mario Fannin hybrid. 

Barrett moved to WR, so it won't be him.

Tolbert will continue to get traditional walk-on reps. Look for him to have a big role on Senior Day.

I see Shivers cutting his teeth in the flanker/jet sweep spot, but I could be wrong. I do see him lining up in the backfield at some point. Just might be hard for him to get in the mix this season.

Miller and Whitlow would seem to have less diverse skill sets than the Martins, but who knows. 

If there is a 3-back rotation, with RB2A and 2B totaling approximately the same number of carries as RB1 (vs *all* other RBs combined not equaling his carries and the next 2 RBs combining for about half), I would probably guess it's the Martins and Whitlow, with Miller a dark horse. 

Pretty much my take. I would like one of the bigger bodies to get significant time but not sure. Miller has shown propensity to fumble and Whitlow is still unknown. If I remember correctly coaches were concerned with a lot of his east/west running during the spring. At around 200 lbs A Martin may can fill that role.

8 minutes ago, johnnyAU said:

My mind always goes back to Boobie

Instinctual

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

at-first-I-lold.gif

5 hours ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

Obviously it’s looking like Martin will be RB1. So, who do we think will be RB2 this season?  The options are: 

Devan Barrett (so.)- showed his speed his freshman year but got limited attempts 

Asa Martin (fr.)- my personal pick. Alabama player of the year. Ranked #9 nationally in high school. Wouldn’t be surprised to see him get a lot of snaps 

Jatarvious Whitlow (R-Fr.)- don’t know much about him but apparently the coaches really love him. Got hurt in camp last season and missed the 2017 season. Interested to see what the buzz is about. 

Malik Miller (So.)- Showed promise during the few touches he had 

CJ Tolbert (Sr.)- had an impressive A-day 

Shaun Shivers (Fr.)- ZOOM 

we’ll revisit this thread during the season! By the way, I like all our RBs this season and think it’ll be a hard choice for Gus and staff. 

First off, Barrett is out of the rotation. He was moved to WR around the same time Iggy was moved to CB. 

And the next thing I think is that RB1 is under question. It's not set in stone KMart is RB1 when the season is over. This isn't a knock on KMart. I just don't know if his body can withstand RB1 in the SEC. So RB2 very well may become RB1 at some point. 

What we will most likely see is RB by committee for the first few games. Especially with the new redshirt rule. 

3 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

First off, Barrett is out of the rotation. He was moved to WR around the same time Iggy was moved to CB. 

And the next thing I think is that RB1 is under question. It's not set in stone KMart is RB1 when the season is over. This isn't a knock on KMart. I just don't know if his body can withstand RB1 in the SEC. So RB2 very well may become RB1 at some point. 

What we will most likely see is RB by committee for the first few games. Especially with the new redshirt rule. 

FWIW I've seen photos and videos of him and he doesn't look like he NEEDS to pack on anymore muscle. I actually think he does pretty well withstanding running through the middle.

1 minute ago, WFE12 said:

FWIW I've seen photos and videos of him and he doesn't look like he NEEDS to pack on anymore muscle. I actually think he does pretty well withstanding running through the middle.

If so, that's awesome. I hope he can take it. 

First of all, I agree that KMart is RB1 on Day 1, but may not be by season’s end.  He’s good and I like KMart, but some of these other guys have the chance to be really good too   

The 2 keys to who Gus chooses for top RB roles are blocking and ball security.  IMHO, Boobie would already be RB1 if not for these 2 crucial areas.  

Asa is a stud, similar to KJ in a lot of ways.  He’ll get his chance as a TF.  

Worm will carve out a role soon enough

MM is a hoss, but it seems that he hasn’t earned the coaches’ trust yet. Time is ticking. 

HJs diverse skill set is intriguing  

2 factors I really hope come to play this year that I’ve been hoping for for a while only to be disappointed:  1.  Spread the ball around!  Let a few different guys play considerable minutes instead of riding RB1 90% of the time.  2.  Utilize diverse skill sets at the RB position instead of pigeon-holing guys.  KMart, Asa, and HJ are all flexible guys that can do many things. This gives us the ability to use shifts and diverse play calling to catch a Defense off guard.  Not using these weapons at our disposal is like running a V6 on 4 cylinders.  Sure it can still get us where we need to go, but there’s a lot more horses under the hood than what we’re using!   #steppingdownfromsoapbox

11 hours ago, WFE12 said:

You are correct. He doesn't. He is more than capable of being a 15-20 carry a game guy and there's no need, beyond Gus's bizarre trust issues, to aim higher than that for RB1. We haven't really run much tempo at all the last few years and we shouldn't be avoiding substitutions at the expense of putting the best guys on the field for any given down, distance or other circumstance. If Gus is entirely dependent upon a truly complete back for every single situation he encounters, then he's not a particularly bright strategist. I'm confident he can work with what he's got. 

Nick Chubb led uga with 15 carries a game last year, btw. And that's rounded up. And their run game was much better than ours. 

1 hour ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

2 factors I really hope come to play this year that I’ve been hoping for for a while only to be disappointed:  1.  Spread the ball around!  Let a few different guys play considerable minutes instead of riding RB1 90% of the time.  2.  Utilize diverse skill sets at the RB position instead of pigeon-holing guys.  KMart, Asa, and HJ are all flexible guys that can do many things. This gives us the ability to use shifts and diverse play calling to catch a Defense off guard.  Not using these weapons at our disposal is like running a V6 on 4 cylinders.  Sure it can still get us where we need to go, but there’s a lot more horses under the hood than what we’re using!   #steppingdownfromsoapbox

Stay on the soapbox Preacher!

I'd love nothing more than to see your above statements transpire on the field this season.   For the life of me, I can't understand CGM's rationale relative to diversity, creativity, and utilizing every weapon he has worked so hard to bring the table.

4 hours ago, McLoofus said:

You are correct. He doesn't. He is more than capable of being a 15-20 carry a game guy and there's no need, beyond Gus's bizarre trust issues, to aim higher than that for RB1. We haven't really run much tempo at all the last few years and we shouldn't be avoiding substitutions at the expense of putting the best guys on the field for any given down, distance or other circumstance. If Gus is entirely dependent upon a truly complete back for every single situation he encounters, then he's not a particularly bright strategist. I'm confident he can work with what he's got. 

Nick Chubb led uga with 15 carries a game last year, btw. And that's rounded up. And their run game was much better than ours. 

Well we already know that....

RB2 who knows, but I think Asa Martin will be RB1 not to far into the season if not in the first game. I would say Whitlow but I really don't know much about him, he could surprise and be RB1.

My guess is Barrett. I think Shivers and/or Schwartz takes over the Eli Stove position and DB gets moved back to RB. 

Image result for guess that ain't no guess thats how its gonna be gif

RB2 not sure yet, but I’ve become very comfortable with KMart at RB1. Could be a beast for the next two seasons tbh. A lot of that is up to the coaches to play him correctly though

As of this moment I think Asa will end up as RB2, but I definitely believe Boobie has all the potential in the world.

Asa Martin or Worm Shivers at RB2. I know that's two true frosh, but they'll be the best we have. Whitlow hasn't done much except reverse his field, which won't work against the big boys. Now, I'd love to see Whitlow get it done but I haven't seen any indication that he can make it happen.

14 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Asa Martin or Worm Shivers at RB2. I know that's two true frosh, but they'll be the best we have. Whitlow hasn't done much except reverse his field, which won't work against the big boys. Now, I'd love to see Whitlow get it done but I haven't seen any indication that he can make it happen.

Shivers at #2? No way. He will be at best our specialty back for specific type of play calls. He's coming in cold in knowing the playbook in the fall.

KMart getting the nod for RB1 just bc he is the most experienced back there. 

Whitlow is the back that has all the physical tools they want in being #1 or for sure #2, but he is so raw. I havent seen enough of him to know what his weaknesses are (other than reversing the field too many times, thinking he is faster than SEC DEs and LBs. lol.

AMart could be #2, but I think we will see 2A and 2B backs in there, so I look for 3 backs to get most of the carries, until Gus settles on Workhorse 1...

I'm now officially concerned about the RB position, specifically the RB backups. ?

I worry about TrFr with little knowledge of the playbook and blocking assignments with an unseasoned oline.........

Archived