2019 Men's Basketball Recruiting Thread

Tiger Growlin

8 minutes ago, gravejd said:

And there it is.....

I blaming the players for the poor defense while you are blaming the coaches. I imagine expectations, scheme, and coaching has not changed a lot from last season. I think playing good D in college bball is 80% effort and 20% scheme. Congrats on your opportunity to dog Pearl and the bball coaches though

That's what we do in football don't we?    So in basketball, it's the players perhaps not giving the effort....and in football it's the coaching ?     Back to an earlier comment....who is responsible for the defensive coaching basketball and what is he saying about what we are seeing? ..and what needs to be done?.  Anyone other than me wondering if SP is doing the job?       

12 minutes ago, AU64 said:

That's what we do in football don't we?    So in basketball, it's the players perhaps not giving the effort....and in football it's the coaching ?     Back to an earlier comment....who is responsible for the defensive coaching basketball and what is he saying about what we are seeing? ..and what needs to be done?.  Anyone other than me wondering if SP is doing the job?       

I think there is a BIG difference in how important scheme is in regards to basketball and football. 

1 minute ago, gravejd said:

I think there is a BIG difference in how important scheme is in regards to basketball and football. 

I'm not a technocrat in either sport so don't know.   But basketball seems to have fewer moving parts and therefore would seem to have easier opportunity to make adjustments to solve a recognized performance issue....especially if D is 80% effort as you say. 

Whatever or whoever.....some kind of changes are due. 

30 minutes ago, AU64 said:

I'm not a technocrat in either sport so don't know.   But basketball seems to have fewer moving parts and therefore would seem to have easier opportunity to make adjustments to solve a recognized performance issue....especially if D is 80% effort as you say. 

Whatever or whoever.....some kind of changes are due. 

I think there are fewer knobs to turn for fixes in basketball. Maybe we should have gone zone?? Maybe change out who is guarding who if we had to stay in man?? Hell maybe if we are going to be terrible on D anyway just press nonstop the whole game and concede they will get some easy breakaway baskets and hope the turnovers out weigh the breakdowns. I dunno....i agree with you that we have to do something. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, gravejd said:

I think there are fewer knobs to turn for fixes in basketball. Maybe we should have gone zone?? Maybe change out who is guarding who if we had to stay in man?? Hell maybe if we are going to be terrible on D anyway just press nonstop the whole game and concede they will get some easy breakaway baskets and hope the turnovers out weigh the breakdowns. I dunno....i agree with you that we have to do something. 

One knob that DP has been reluctant to turn is to call time out in the midst of a big run by the opposition.   Did not see that stretch when MSU just took the game over but seems we did not respond to stop the bleeding.  BUT...that's done....just hoping that we won't be seeing that again for a while.

Three winnable (must win)  games in a row....at home.... 

2 hours ago, AU64 said:

Not sure how much better we were.     Murray was a factor and had 230+ pounds packed on a 6-3 frame and could push with the best of them.  I could be wrong but I never considered Heron a great defender though he got his share of rebounds.     Otherwise,  it's the same guys playing most of them minutes who have not seemed to improved.   So back to:   who is coaching them?  and what are the expectations?   and how did the coaches respond the other night when Miss State slashed though our defense like it was jello and just took away a game we could have won.     

that's not on coaching. Again, as someone else said, the Centers were surrounded w much better defensive players such as those you mentioned (Murray for sure, and some w Heron (who did get his share of rebounds, if you look at his stats)....

I also think Anferee is still not the same totally as he was before he tore his ankle up. He doesn't seem as smartly aggressive as he was. 

• Like 2

The D is a little bit coaching and little bit players. When our guards got beat in Miss state game up top we were slow in rotating. If Mac were to rotate as soon as our Guard is beat and another player were to rotate to mac's man we can stop the penetration earlier and also force a more difficult pass not one right at the rim for a dunk. Last year we let them come into the lane and Mac or Spencer or heron would block the shot this year the guards know we are going up for the shot block so are dumping to out big man's man. 

That is why I think we need to adjust and rotate quicker and harder.  I don't know if our not doing the quicker rotation is due to coaching preference or players not reacting quickly enough or a combination of both.

• Like 1

@ellitor @cole256 looking at the roster for this year and next, why hasnt auburn gone more for guys 6-9/10+ . Akingbola is 6-8 but outside of Wiley we dont have and big guys. Yet we’re getting beat by teams with big dudes left and right?

3 minutes ago, Auhud08 said:

why hasnt auburn gone more for guys 6-9/10+

Who's to say we haven't?

4 minutes ago, Auhud08 said:

Yet we’re getting beat by teams with big dudes left and right?

Height is a massive plus but it's not everything. You also have to be physical & be willing to scrap. Wiley is the only real physical presence we have. Even though he was only 6'4 we are missing the physicality & grunt work of Desean Murray last year much more than most people realized.

1 hour ago, Auhud08 said:

@ellitor @cole256 looking at the roster for this year and next, why hasnt auburn gone more for guys 6-9/10+ . Akingbola is 6-8 but outside of Wiley we dont have and big guys. Yet we’re getting beat by teams with big dudes left and right?

I'm not Ell or Cole but we had a 5 * 7 footer visit during the Kentucky game.

Unlikely we get him, but a kid of that caliber just considering us at all is huge. 

Edited by Tiger
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

Who's to say we haven't?

Height is a massive plus but it's not everything. You also have to be physical & be willing to scrap. Wiley is the only real physical presence we have. Even though he was only 6'4 we are missing the physicality & grunt work of Desean Murray last year much more than most people realized.

I shouldnt say we HAVENT but it seems to not be a must for BP. Just wondering if there was a scheme thing to it. 

Agree on D Murray. He had a lot of putbacks and gave us a lot of second chances. We miss him a ton

I think Pearl values athleticism over height when it comes to big men. Ideally you want a guy who is big and athletic but we need some special circumstances to beat out the likes of Kentucky, Duke, Kansas, UNC, and every other program in the country to get those. We got Wiley mainly cause he is a legacy. We had Montgomery until the Person scandal......Pearl will have us in the running for more but just not an easy ask to be able to get those regularly. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, gravejd said:

I think Pearl values athleticism over height when it comes to big men. Ideally you want a guy who is big and athletic but we need some special circumstances to beat out the likes of Kentucky, Duke, Kansas, UNC, and every other program in the country to get those. We got Wiley mainly cause he is a legacy. We had Montgomery until the Person scandal......Pearl will have us in the running for more but just not an easy ask to be able to get those regularly. 

Was looking at the 2019 class and other than UK, not much difference in the incoming classes across the conference....We were shown as #5 in one list with  bama, ga, florida and UK rated higher than us but on a quality basis everyone is about the same.    Not sure which schools have done the best job of filling their needs however and of course we had none in 2018 so have a year to make up.   SEC is gonna be tough for the next few years.. 

If you look at all his teams pearl does value height, he even values it with his guards because of the way you can switch seamlessly on defense with it and we press and run tempo. Just his most well known team didn't use many. But chism would many times be paired with Brian Williams and chism played 4 most time. But chism is who most people remember. And 7 footers that are actually good are rare actually. And last year we had a couple of bigs decommit but I'm sure if nothing else he is seeing he need some added toughness in there

Edited by cole256
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Tiger said:

I'm not Ell or Cole but we had a 5 * 7 footer visit during the Kentucky game.

Unlikely we get him, but a kid of that caliber just considering us at all is huge. 

Yep, Walker Kessler I believe. He seems to be a Georgia boy but the fact that we're in on these guys is a big deal. Keep building.....

• Like 1

What usually takes place if you have a good team that causes multiple mismatches your opponent will then have to play you zone. You beat a zone inside out so you'll ideally want one of your forwards to be a play maker but at minimum a good passer. Draymond Green if you compare Golden State. Also think with Golden State they have big men to off set lack of size. Klay Thompson for Steph, bogut/McGhee/cousins for green. Durant/Barnes at wing as well for the seamless switching I mentioned. Even Golden st wants a big in their offense.

Then the most effective way to attack a standard zone is playing high low ball. Your play making forward receiving the ball ideally in the middle of a zone up to the free throw line. This makes a defense collapse and hopefully then your forward identify to either drop it to your big man or kick it out to an open guy on the perimeter but you will easily have more than one man open so the odds are in your favor. If you don't have a tall guy who can see over the zone or isn't a play maker then you have to think of more creative ways to attack a zone but even then it probably won't be more effective than a high low as that's the middle and collapsing everything.

Edited by cole256
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, gravejd said:

Right on. The Elite big men are like the Elite secondary players in college football recruiting. They all go to the same schools most of the time. I.E. Blue bloods. We are not one of those schools. 

Edited by GwillMac6

@cole256 have you heard of Tommie Murr? I read that he is a 2020 guy leading the whole country in scoring and from Athens Alabama. He scored 59 against RA Hubbard and 55 against Sheffield. Look up his videos on twitter and holler back if you think he is Auburn player legit. 

Dx0KXUbWwAAUH8J?format=jpg&name=large

Here is how RA Hubbard tried to guard him lol

• Love 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

@cole256 have you heard of Tommie Murr? I read that he is a 2020 guy leading the whole country in scoring and from Athens Alabama. He scored 59 against RA Hubbard and 55 against Sheffield. Look up his videos on twitter and holler back if you think he is Auburn player legit. 

Dx0KXUbWwAAUH8J?format=jpg&name=large

Here is how RA Hubbard tried to guard him lol

Yeah, I heard about him when he was coming to play Sheffield. I would LOVE to see him play Florence. He's supposed to be playing on the aau team Mark plays on if I'm not mistaken. Heard he takes his craft pretty seriously. I like the thought that he's putting up these points with everybody trying to guard him.....there's things about being the man that everybody can't see. I imagine he's thought of mangy different ways to beat coverages already that some don't think about until they're in college

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cole256 said:

Yeah, I heard about him when he was coming to play Sheffield. I would LOVE to see him play Florence.

I wish he would’ve transferred to a higher classification like Huntsville. I can imagine he’s P5 college player but it takes moving up to really get recruited hard especially since he’s small and that’s already working against him. 

4 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

I wish he would’ve transferred to a higher classification like Huntsville. I can imagine he’s P5 college player but it takes moving up to really get recruited hard especially since he’s small and that’s already working against him. 

If he turns heads in aau he'll be straight, he definitely has all the attention on him now. This off-season will be a big summer for him

3 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Oh god yes. Don’t have the best feeling about this child but it certainly doesn’t hurt that he’s AAU teammates with Okoro, Akingbola, and Sharife Cooper. 

Definitely cool that he appears to be visiting by himself and not just tagging along with his teammates