Beverage Pairings for Every AU Game...

aucanucktiger

1 minute ago, EclecticTiger said:

Appreciate it! If I recall, you’re in the Metro ATL area, I believe. I found a great selection at Green’s near Ponce City Market. I grabbed the Mezcal Vago last time, and it’s about the same price as the aforementioned Old Fo’ 1920. Smoky, mushroomy, earthy, but surprisingly sippable, for my palate. 

Yep. You just described great mezcal. 

I've moved down to Hilton Head but we still have lots of people in the A, and I've actually got a great package store near my office in Savannah. Will go hunting soon! Thanks for the tip(s).

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Yep. You just described great mezcal. 

I've moved down to Hilton Head but we still have lots of people in the A, and I've actually got a great package store near my office in Savannah. Will go hunting soon! Thanks for the tip(s).

Nice! I was in Palmetto Bluff staying at a friend’s place last weekend! 

So much good food in Savannah. Have you had the homemade tots at The Ordinary, yet?  Also, (since it’s Tuesday) Taco Tuesday is pretty nice there, too.

Also, if you’re ever near Cayce, SC, there’s a tasty Mescaleria I discovered at friend’s wedding a couple of years ago. I believe it was named Salud. 

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

As for why I would want anything besides bourbon, that's easy. No matter what you put in front of me, I drink it at the same rate. Football games are 3 hours long and I'm an Auburn fan. I have a family to think about, we just had the floors redone and my dog doesn't absorb a size 10 1/2 so well.

Billy-D_Approves.gif

And here my wife thought i was a bourbon know it all. I'm very impressed. I've had a hard time finding any of the really really good stuff in North Alabama. On Saturday's i rotate between Larceny, Eagle Rare, 1792 Sweet Wheat and Makers 46.

2 minutes ago, auburntiger1987 said:

And here my wife thought i was a bourbon know it all. I'm very impressed. I've had a hard time finding any of the really really good stuff in North Alabama. On Saturday's i rotate between Larceny, Eagle Rare, 1792 Sweet Wheat and Makers 46.

Never heard of this. It's my understanding that it is the wheat profile that separates the Pappy and Weller brands from most bourbons. Do you find any similarities? I might check that one out, too. 

6 minutes ago, EclecticTiger said:

Nice! I was in Palmetto Bluff staying at a friend’s place last weekend! 

That 'hood is stupid beautiful. Hope you had an awesome time.

So much good food in Savannah. Have you had the homemade tots at The Ordinary, yet?  Also, (since it’s Tuesday) Taco Tuesday is pretty nice there, too.

This is turning into quite the fruitful thread. Had no idea about Taco Tuesday (or Pho Monday!). *furiously scribbles in notebook*

10 minutes ago, EclecticTiger said:

Also, if you’re ever near Cayce, SC, there’s a tasty Mescaleria I discovered at friend’s wedding a couple of years ago. I believe it was named Salud. 

I just so happen to have good friends in nearby Irmo, on Lake Murray...

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

That 'hood is stupid beautiful. Hope you had an awesome time.

This is turning into quite the fruitful thread. Had no idea about Taco Tuesday (or Pho Monday!). *furiously scribbles in notebook*

I just so happen to have good friends in nearby Irmo, on Lake Murray...

Fortuitous 

12 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Never heard of this. It's my understanding that it is the wheat profile that separates the Pappy and Weller brands from most bourbons. Do you find any similarities? I might check that one out, too. 

Go get you some Bernheim and enjoy that wheat 'til you can't see straight, lol.

14 minutes ago, fredst said:

Go get you some Bernheim and enjoy that wheat 'til you can't see straight, lol.

^^What he said^^

Best “wheater” for the $, if you ask me; mildly sweet with a remarkably smooth finish. 

4 minutes ago, EclecticTiger said:

^^What he said^^

Best “wheater” for the $, if you ask me; mildly sweet with a remarkably smooth finish. 

If it's even competitive with Weller 12 then I'm sold. (Especially since you can no longer find W12 anywhere, much less for anything remotely resembling MSRP.)

32 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

It's a shorter finish wheat that is incredibly smooth for the ~90 proof.  Not a bad bourbon for around 30$ 

11 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

If it's even competitive with Weller 12 then I'm sold. (Especially since you can no longer find W12 anywhere, much less for anything remotely resembling MSRP.)

Yeah, I’ve run out of car titles to sign over for my blossoming bourbon collection.

ETA-*quickly deploys “favorite thread” banner*

3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Apologies if you're fully committed to the previous bloody mary, but

image.jpeg

Sheer artistry, 

and even a bit eerie the way it seems to follow one around the room

Like Barnacle, I typically just have one drink while gnoshing -- an Anchor Steam or glass of high quality wine along with finger food. I almost never drink alcohol during the day and only with dinner in the evening. My boozing days are done.

But this thread has inspired me to diversity.

So, for each game, I will have a drink that is linked to the opponent's state. Here is my list, just based on what I can get locally.

Washington -- When I lived in Seattle, it was Olympia beer or no beer, but the best I can do here is Red Hook ESB
Alabama State -- I'll be in San Diego. They don't sell anything from Alabama in San Diego, and the game won't be televised there.
LSU -- Pat O'Brien's iconic Hurricane recipe
Arkansas -- Arkansas Razorback cocktail
Southern Miss -- Abita Select Amber beer (supposedly, the largest selling beer in Mississippi)
Miss State -- Rich Grain Mississippi Bourbon (the first real bourbon distilled in Mississippi)
Tennessee -- George Dickel Barrel Select (which I like better than JD)
Ole Miss -- Mississippi Punch
Texas A&M -- Margarita with Casa Noble Crystal (the way I made them when I lived in Houston)
UGA -- Sweetwater Brown I guess
Liberty -- Bowman Virginia Straight Bourbon
Bama -- Clyde May's Alabama Style Whiskey (the official state whiskey of Alabama. Who knew there was one?)

I gotta say, some of these cocktails look very tasty, but as for the beer and whisky, meh (except for the Dickel of course).

2 hours ago, lca408 said:

Washington - Long Island Iced Tea or something that requires a lot of prep work - first game and you want to go all out

ASU - Straight up beer - trying to recover from the disastrous hangover from the prior weekend, plus it's hot and cheap and gets the job done

LSU - Absinthe prepared the traditional way - probably self explanatory, crazy $h!t happens when you drink it

Arkansas - Beer, again. I mean, it's Arkansas and it's a week after an absinthe/LSU hangover

Southern Miss - Water. End of September, it's hot, and it's a fake team from Mississippi

MSU - Flaming Dr. Pepper - celebrate the 10 year anniversary of "3-2" in style! Baby I'm Burnin

Tennessee - Jack Daniels and RC Cola - try to stay true to the spirit of the Volunteer State

Ole Miss - Crown and whatever, or by itself - attempt a drink with the veneer of civilization but that's actually just kind of cheap - like the Grove

A&M - Dirty Hooker with a 49 oz Porterhouse Steak - in honor of Jimbo's true nature and Texas A&M's penchant for excess - respectively

UGAY - Evan Williams and Coke - something that can get you in trouble and into the dog pound quickly

Liberty - who cares

UAT - Jaeger Bomb - excessive, not tasty, and unnecessary. No explanation needed

I'm obviously out of my depth, and

maybe even drowning* here.

*"Death, where is thy sting?" [W.C. Fields]

This is to easy

Washington -- PBR's 12 or more
Alabama State --PBR's 12 or more
LSU -PBR's 12 or more
Arkansas -- PBR's 12 or more
Southern Miss --PBR's 12 or more
Miss State --PBR's 18 or more
Tennessee -- PBR's 12 or more
Ole Miss -- PBR's 12 or more
Texas A&M -- PBR's 12 or more
UGA -- PBR's Unlimited
Liberty -- PBR's 12 or more
Bama--PBR's Unlimited

1 hour ago, augolf1716 said:

This is to easy

LSU -PBR's 12 or more
UGA -- PBR's Unlimited
Bama--PBR's Unlimited

Flexibility. I like it.

4 hours ago, Barnacle said:

I usually try and stay away from liquor on game days...I'm a nervous watcher/drinker. Usually go with a lite beer. 

I’ll start with an IPA or two and start crushing Coors Light the rest of the game, pretty much my game day ritual for the past 10-15 years. I save the bourbon to celebrate with. 

2 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

This is to easy

LSU -PBR's 12 or more
UGA -- PBR's Unlimited
Bama--PBR's Unlimited

This made me laugh out loud. I had to quote because I could only give one emoji response.

Anyone that participates in the beer thread knows my ritual. Chimay Red until half, Chimay Blue at the start of the third quarter.  Various IPAs while watching evening games and a Ten Fidy to nightcap. 

Archived