Jalen Harris to redshirt then transfer

GwillMac6

A thorough and dominating beat down of Arkansas and SoMiss the next couple of weeks will have everybody back on the positive side of things.  

Without fail winning is always the cure.  

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

I predicted NCM’s transfer a long time ago. He is tbe definition of under-utilized. What a depressing season. 

Maybe. But he's been here three years and hasn't been able to get more targets. Talk has always been he struggles to get open against good coverage. And in passing situations he was coming out for Seth Williams. Most of his targets have also come early in games during scripted portions of the play calling, likely from things schemed up for him. I'm not saying he isn't worthy of more targets. I think he's a reliable WR with good attributes. But we aren't ignoring him or not targeting him for no reason. 

It's also worth pointing out that, by all accounts, he's a very good kid and teammate. I think he's just frustrated in his utilization in the offense and feels he can contribute more. 

4 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

So is this players only meeting just a rumor to have happened, or did it happen? 

A players only meetings the day one player has transferred, and 3 others including one starter are being said to be considering transferring, is a big deal if it really happened... 

It happened. Was led by Deshaun Davis, Marlon, Stidham., Cox, and Ryan Davis. May have been some other guys involved as well.

Remember when Bryon Cowart transferred last year?  This whole forum lost it.  "Gus doesn't have control of his team."  "This year is lost."

Some people on this forum need to take a chill pill and not react so fast.  That never works out.  Just let things play out.  It is not like we can control anything anyways.  Maybe NCM does have issues getting open, maybe not.  Stidham would not flat out ignore an open receiver.  This could also be due to the rise of the freshmen.

As we continue to become better at developing and recruiting players, we will see more transfers.  No one thought twice with PJIII transferred last year other to wish him the best.  Why?  Because the d-line is so deep due to our continued ability to recruit and develop that we could make up for it.  We are now seeing this with our receivers.  Each year for the last few years we are bring in in consistently 4* WR's.  With that, not every person can play every down.  And not every WR can get the ball every play.

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

No, he doesn't, which means that our coaching staff didn't do a very good job in August. 

Hire talented, energetic recruiters at every position group. 

so who do you think we should replace and who are those "talented energetic coaches" we could bring here?  Pardon my  skepticism....but that is just a cliché answer….might as well have suggested we give everyone a new car like bama.       AU never has and likely never will recruit at the same level as the name-sake universities around the south....and JMO but as the second school in the state, we usually do pretty well. 

46 minutes ago, keesler said:

A thorough and dominating beat down of Arkansas and SoMiss the next couple of weeks will have everybody back on the positive side of things.  

Well, not everybody.....?   .but most at least which would be an improvement......

10 minutes ago, AU64 said:

so who do you think we should replace and who are those "talented energetic coaches" we could bring here?  Pardon my  skepticism....but that is just a cliché answer….might as well have suggested we give everyone a new car like bama.       AU never has and likely never will recruit at the same level as the name-sake universities around the south....and JMO but as the second school in the state, we usually do pretty well. 

I think the coaching at WR has been very good the last couple years. I think Kodi Burns has done a great job with the WRs, both on the field and recruiting, since he arrived. He was viewed very skeptically when he was hired, but outside of TWill and Garner, he'd be the next assistant on my list to keep.

IMO the play of some of the older WRs hasn't quite lived up to the hype they've received throughout their careers. One of the classes was hyped as the greatest WR class ever signed here, and that just hasn't materialized. Slayton is good but has never consistently shown the ability to be a #1 outside WR in the SEC. He doesn't win enough of his routes against the best DBs in the conference. NCM is kinda the same way. They've moved him around to a few different positions trying to find a fit for him to hopefully utilize him more, and it just hasn't worked out. Kyle Davis is gone. Marquis McClain has never quite figured everything out.

Granted, some of the issues are scheme related. We don't throw a bunch downfield, so that limits WR targets and touches. And the passing game is fairly simplistic, although that has changed a little since Chip's arrival. But when guys like Seth Williams and Anthony Schwartz are coming in as freshmen and earning PT and having some production, it tells me the talent level they've come in with is at or close to the upperclassmen who were so hyped up.

24 minutes ago, boomstick said:

IMO the play of some of the older WRs hasn't quite lived up to the hype they've received throughout their careers. One of the classes was hyped as the greatest WR class ever signed here, and that just hasn't materialized. Slayton is good but has never consistently shown the ability to be a #1 outside WR in the SEC. He doesn't win enough of his routes against the best DBs in the conference. NCM is kinda the same way. They've moved him around to a few different positions trying to find a fit for him to hopefully utilize him more, and it just hasn't worked out. Kyle Davis is gone. Marquis McClain has never quite figured everything out.

The young guys seem more "game ready" as freshmen than the previous class that looked so good on paper and who have never seemed to grasp what's going on.  

JMO but the synergy between QB and WRs is not that great either.   WRs quit their routes early and QB throws to his first target....so not sure if that tendency by JS is the reason that WRs don't scramble around to find an open spot when the pass play does not develop as expected.  Too me, it looks like lots of standing around by WRs after they make their first move and get spotted up.  :dunno:

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

Almost as cliche as "pretty good is good enough". As I've stated before, I truly envy that attitude.

As for coaches and replacements, it's all been discussed before. But you asked how to improve recruiting and I gave the easy, obvious answer. Maybe that's why it's a cliche?

16 hours ago, metafour said:

NCM is considering transferring too.  Obviously not happy playing 5 snaps a game.

That is bad . He is a good receiver but is rarely targeted. Would use him in the slot a bit more. He's a big guy, but I'm def no Offensive genius. We are going to need to open the passing game up a whole lot more!!!

1 hour ago, keesler said:

Did you see the quotes from chip Kelly after the quarterbacks dad blasted him on Twitter? He was pretty funny. I’m paraphrasing but basically said you are a sucky coach when you lose and great when you win and that will never change:)

20 minutes ago, Deemer 47 said:

That is bad . He is a good receiver but is rarely targeted. Would use him in the slot a bit more. He's a big guy, but I'm def no Offensive genius. We are going to need to open the passing game up a whole lot more!!!

I think NCM led the team in snaps played as a WR last year. And I believe he's at or near the top in that category this year.

4 hours ago, boomstick said:

I think NCM led the team in snaps played as a WR last year. And I believe he's at or near the top in that category this year.

Exactly, I know him and JH block well . I just someone should have made an effort to keep them. I don’t think this is all. I’m afraid we are on the verge of a divided team. We will see how far it goes.

9 hours ago, Zeek said:

1. Poor routes and scheming

2. Not on the field often

3. Open but not being targeted

I'll be at the Arkansas game and I'll dedicate my focus to NCM and see how things go. Even the slowest most unathletic receiver gets open every now and then just from blown coverage and intelligent route plans. 

Might want to watch someone else this weekend. Haha. 

Seriously, let us know what you see regarding WRs in general getting open or not. 

29 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

Might want to watch someone else this weekend. Haha. 

Seriously, let us know what you see regarding WRs in general getting open or not. 

Schwartz is my new receiver crush.

Archived